Latest news:

Glovers End On A Huish High

rare goal

By Alex O'Loughlin
April 30 2011

Yeovil Town ended the seasons home games at Huish Park in style as they saw off mid-table Colchester United by a more than convincing 4-2 score line, with four different players getting on the score sheet. 

Manager Terry Skiverton made one change to the side which earned a 2-2 draw at Peterborough on Easter Monday, with Luke Ayling coming back into the side from suspension to displace Nathan Jones, in what began as a 3-5-2 formation. 

The opening minutes of the game began in a very fluent fashion, although the game did have that 'end of season' feel to it with neither team looking overly desperate to take the lead.

But the lead was taken after fifteen minutes, and the goal went to the Glovers when Nathan Smith's searching ball fell kindly to Craig Alcock into the box who smashed home from just inside the box to steal the lead. 1-0.

That goal saw Yeovil begin to look the more dangerous of the two sides and they soon doubled their lead just seven minutes after scoring their first. 

Jon Obika held up the ball well on the edge of the box before laying it off to Andrew Tutte whose deflected curling effort landed in the top left hand corner, marking his second goal in two games, something sure to boost his chances of penning a permanent deal in the summer. 2-0.

Referee Oliver Langford did well to deny Ashley Vincent's penalty claims after he twice hurled himself to the floor inside the box, although you could argue that the U's winger deserved a yellow card for his clear diving.

Colchester hadn't managed a shot on goal in the first but when they did manage one on the 43rd minute they scored, when Ashley Vincent raced onto John-Joe O'Toole's excellent through ball to shoot home. 2-1.

That looked to have put a downer on the first half but the Glovers went straight up the other end and restored their two goal advantage when Andy Welsh's free kick was poorly defended and resulted in Dean Bowditch nodding home from just a yard, claiming his 14th goal of the season. 3-1.

Half Time: Yeovil Town 3-1 Colchester United

Colchester were less than impressive in the first half and looked to have received the hair dryer treatment at half time from manager John Ward at half time when they began the better of the two sides in the second half.

Stephen Henderson was called upon on numerous occasions to deny a U's goal, and when they did get past the stopper it was denied, after John-Joe O'Toole was adjudged to have fouled Henderson in the process of scoring.

But Colchester did get a deserved equaliser when David Mooney's tame looking shot from the edge of the box went in at Henderson's near post to grab a goal back, but as in the first half their joy was short lived, when Yeovil immediately scored again. 3-2.

Andrew Tutte stormed down the right wing before swinging over a cross which seemed to have gone behind everyone, but in came Andy Welsh at the back post to restore the two goal lead and seal the three points. 4-2.

There was still more chances to come when Mooney from a tight angle drew a sharp save from Henderson, whilst at the other end Jon Obika volleyed wildly wide when he should have done better.

Referee Oliver Langford- who had a good game- did make one mistake, as he only produced a yellow card for Ben Coker after he cynically chopped down Obika as he raced through on goal. 

The final whistle was met with a big roar as the Glovers ended their seasons games at Huish Park on a high, and that joy was added to with the news that local rivals Bristol Rovers had been relegated along with Swindon Town, although that means less local derby's next season. 

View a Printer Friendly version of this Story.

Bookmark or share this story with:

Glovers End On A Huish High
Discussion started by Glover Lover , 30/04/2011 19:30
Glover Lover
30/04/2011 19:30
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Your Name: 
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing