Latest news:

England 2 Scotland 1

By Carly Goodwill
June 2 2009

England secured their place in the Finals of the European U19 Championship for the second year in a row after beating Scotland 2-1 at Bramall Lane and ensuring they finished at the top of their Elite Qualifying Round group. Scotland knew that they had to win the match to progress any further in the competition and started quickly, within five minutes Alex McDonald held off Martin Kelly in the area before  making a low shot at goal but Jason Steele made a good low save.  Steele had to react again when Stephen Stirling took a free kick given because of a foul on the edge of the box in the 19th minute but the keeper watched it all the way and made another good save.

For England, Moses took a corner in the 25th minute and spotted Joe Mattock at the far post whose header was diverted just wide by Nathan Delfouneso.

David Wotherspoon for Scotland then took an ambitious shot at goal from 30 yards that flew both wide and high, this was followed by Danny Rose running the ball back to the other end but finishing with the same result.

Moses hit a low shot at goal after dribbling the ball across the pitch, which was saved by Scotland keeper Michael Andrews.  Andrews made the best save of the game so far in the 34th minute when Kelly came forward from the back leading to a chance for Delfouneso. The Villa player hit a low shot at goal, which Andrews just got his hand to and flicked over the bar.

Brian Eastick made just one change at half time and replaced Danny Drinkwater with Dean Parrett in the midfield and he almost made an impact straight away when he took an angled free kick but it was saved nicely by Andrews.  Parrett had another chance minutes later after passing back and forth with Nile Ranger on the edge of the area, but his shot did not worry Andrews as it went over the bar.

After 65 minutes The Young Lions had another chance when Delfouneso came in from the left and into the area. He pulled the ball back for Rose, but the Spurs midfielder smashed the ball over the target. Just 1 minute later, Delfouneso beat Jonathon Brown down the left then picked out Ranger who hit it home from close range giving England the lead. Not even ten minutes later Englands win was secured when Moses picked up a loose ball and  smashed it past Andrews and into the far corner.

Moses nearly had another chance quickly after when he glided around two defenders down the right before he shot it low and hard across the goal and wide of the far post.

Scotland made it clear they wanted to salvage something from the match and put Steele to work more than a few times, Steele made some very impressive saves against John Fleck and Leigh Griffiths.
 With just eight minutes to go Gavin Hoyte tugged on Griffiths in the box resulting in the referee giving Scotland a penalty.  McDonald stepped forward and put it straight into the bottom corner giving them a glimmer of hope, thiis was not enough though as the whistle went giving England’s Young Lions a chance to play in Europe.

Full Time: England 2 Scotland 1

Ranger  (63)                McDonald (82) (pen)Moses  (73)  Referee: Carlos Clos Gomez

Assistant Referees: Juan Jose Gallego Galindo & Marco Tropeano

Fourth Official: Albert Toussaint

Attendance: 2817

View a Printer Friendly version of this Story.

Bookmark or share this story with: