Latest news:

Alfreton Town 1 Leigh RMI 1

By Matt Lawton
October 18 2005

RMI's winless streak was extended this evening, but a 1-1 draw at Alfreton saw Andy Nelson's side stop themselves from falling to a third consecutive defeat, claiming their first league point for a month in the process. In their third away trip within a week, the confidence of Andy Nelson's young side was certainly at a low point after being knocked out of the FA Cup at Conference North rivals Gainsborough Trinity last Tuesday, before being taken to the cleaners at high-flying media darlings Kettering Town on Saturday afternoon, making the long trip back with a 4-0 defeat to show for their efforts.

In contrast, hosts Alfreton were on a bit of a high after earning themselves a big cup tie at Conference outfit Hereford next weekend after victory in the Third Qualifying Round, whilst keeping their first clean sheet of the season with a 0-0 draw at home to Stalybridge on Saturday, meaning Alfreton went in to the game as slight favourites, despite RMI currently holding a higher league position.

Before the game, Alfreton boss Gary Mills was boosted with the news that David Robinson, Jon Stevenson and Matt Fisher had all passed fitness tests, despite leaving the action early in their game on Saturday with slight knocks, though Reds winger Chris White was still missing with injury.

With both sides urgently looking to claim some league points as they aim to climb the league table, you would expect each team to do more than their fair share of attacking, but it was the hosts who created much of the early running, but they were met with a determined John Lamb, who was keen to reduce his "goals against" average.

Despite the early Alfreton pressure, RMI started to get a foothold back in to the game and they took the lead shortly after the half hour mark when giant centre back Liam Coyne gave RMI a valued lead.

That one goal advantage wasn't to last long though, with Alfreton equalising last than ten minutes later through Jon Stevenson, who was said to be a doubt ahead of the game and was a member of the Cambridge City side that knocked RMI out of the FA Cup at the First Round Proper stage last season.

Elsewhere in the division this evening, the Kettering's hot streak of goals came to an end when they could only draw 0-0 at home to Hucknall Town, whilst Stafford Rangers warmed up for their visit to Hilton Park this coming Saturday with a comfortable 3-0 victory over Vauxhall Motors.

View a Printer Friendly version of this Story.

Bookmark or share this story with: