Latest news:

Gravesend & Northfleet 3 Leigh RMI 1

By Jordan Reay
September 13 2003

Leigh RMI suffered their third sucessive Conference defeat at the hands of struggling Gravesend & Northfleet. A very disappointing day for the Railwaymen saw them concede three goals and have two men sent off, despite having three debutants in the squad.

Leigh started the game with optimism, after making four new signings in the week. Midfield pair Martyn Forrest and Andy Roscoe made their debuts after being named in the starting line-up. But RMI's task was made more difficult after three minutes of madness from Wayne Maden.

Maden picked up a booking after his clumsey challenge on Chris Moores after thirty-six minutes, and just three minutes later Maden fouled Ben Walshe to earn his second booking and his marching orders.

Gravesend started to pile on the pressure after this and were rewarded just before half-time when Robert Owen fired home to give the home side a well deserved lead. It took fifteen minutes after the break for Gravesend to double their lead. Ben Walshe set up Rob Howarth with an inch-perfect ball and Howarth slotted home from close range.

Despite the relatively bad day, 'Goal-Machine' David McNiven scored his sixth of the season and gave Leigh a glimour of hope with about half-an-hour to go. But the day got from bad to worse when Chris Moores rose highest to head in Ben Walshe's cross and secure the three points for Gravesend with ten minutes to play.

Things got even worse after this, when Martin Lancaster was sent-off for violent conduct nine minutes from time.

Gravesend: O'Reilly, Lee, Shearer, Moores, Skinner, Owen, McKimm, Gradley, Walshe, Haworth, Pinnock. Subs: Abbey, Wilkerson, McClements, Perkins, Miller.

Leigh RMI: Coburn, Shepherd, Lancaster, Redmond, Maden, Durkin, Peyton, Roscoe, Forrest, Robinson, McNiven. Subs: Hill, Monk, Hallows, Martin, Downey.

Referee: N Appleby (Hertfordshire)

View a Printer Friendly version of this Story.

Bookmark or share this story with: