Latest news:

Farsley Celtic 1 Leigh RMI 1

By Matt Lawton
March 31 2007

It is said that the amount of luck that a team receives is supposed to even itself out over the course of the season, but it occurred in a single game in heartbreaking fashion for RMI in a 1-1 draw at Farsley Celtic this afternoon. It seemed as though RMI were to have a day of good luck when they took the lead with just eight minutes remaining on the clock after some terrific work from left back Owen Roberts saw him run two thirds of the length of the pitch before delivering a perfect cross that left Chris Simm a simple tap in at the back post.

Only moments prior to getting their one goal advantage, Leigh had a massive scare at the other end when Farsley centre half Ryan Crossley was left unmarked in the penalty area, only for the ball to bounce luckily in to the hands of RMI goalkeeper John Lamb after a Crossley header had thumped Lamb’s right hand post.

In truth, those two opportunities were the first genuine strikes on target of the entire afternoon as both sides failed to cope with a rather uneven pitch on a bright, but particularly blustery, Yorkshire afternoon.

The hosts had a gilt-edged opportunity within the first few minutes of the game when a left wing cross found Ryan Sugden at the back post, only for the Villagers striker to be stretching a little too much and succeed only in firing the ball over the crossbar with the goal gaping in front of him.

Despite having two out-and-out wingers on the field in the shape of Andy Heald and Steve Settle, RMI failed to stretch the play on either flank, resulting in a keenly-fought midfield battle, with Steve Porter and Farsley’s Amjad Iqbal having a particularly compelling duel in the centre of the park.

RMI’s first real chance of the afternoon didn’t come until the early stages of the second half when, after a period of sharp passing and movement, Chris Simm laid on a smart pass to Hugh McAuley, with the midfielder’s snap shot from outside of the penalty area flying inches wide of Paul Cuss’ goalpost.

With Steve Brockley having the game of his life at centre back, repelling everything that the Yorkshiremen could throw at him, it seemed as though Leigh were heading for a vital three points, only for their luck to desert them in seemingly the umpteenth minute of time added on at the end of the game when a bobbling long ball deceived the RMI defence, with Farsley substitute Damian Reeves appearing to get the vital touch in diverting the ball in to the net and breaking the hearts of the Lancastrian faithful.

With a trip to bottom club Lancaster City on Tuesday evening, Stuart Humphreys’ side will have to quickly pick themselves up and concentrate on returning from the Giant Axe with all three points and aid their fight for Conference North survival.

View a Printer Friendly version of this Story.

Bookmark or share this story with: