Latest news:

Leigh RMI 2 Hyde United 0

By Matt Lawton
December 1 2006

A solid defensive effort proved to be the basis of RMI's first league victory since September as they completed their second game in succession without conceding a goal. The 1-0 home victory over Cammell Laird on Saturday not only sealed RMI’s progress in to the First Round of the FA Trophy, but also provided the Leigh side with a massive confidence boost ahead of the return of ex-RMI boss Steve Waywell and his Hyde team.

That confidence was there for all to see when within the first few minutes when RMI raced in to an early lead that they were never to lose when Chris Simm latched on to a loose ball in to the area and silenced the vociferous travelling support with a shot lashed in to the back of the net.

Despite an impressive debut against Lairds, on-loan midfielder John Dillon was relegated to the substitutes bench, with RMI boss Stuart Humphreys preferring Eddie Hussin to partner Hugh McAuley in the centre of midfield, while Steve Settle continued to impress with another hardworking performance that was full of endeavour both out wide and through the middle.

Hyde should have equalised midway through the second half but Nathan Wharton buckled under the pressure and fired his shot wildly over the Railway End crossbar with the goal at his mercy.

Although centre half Mark Maddox was forced to leave the field at half-time, the RMI defence looked pretty secure throughout the evening, despite the disruption that was caused with the introduction of Kingsley Jones from the substitutes bench, meaning captain Andy Roscoe moved from the left wing in to the left back position, with Steve Brockley moving inside to partner Gavin Lee-Ellison in the centre of the RMI defence.

With Jones on the left wing, Settle was moved to the left, and it was certainly with some success as he carved up the Hyde defence and laid a goal on a plate for Jones, only for the debutant to rush his shot and fire it wide of the target.

RMI’s hard work was eventually rewarded though when substitute Kieran Lugsden latched on to a through ball in stoppage time and slotted it past the goalkeeper, sending the RMI faithful in to raptures and sealing the victory that sees RMI move out of the relegation zone ahead of Barrow’s home game with Worksop on Saturday.

View a Printer Friendly version of this Story.

Bookmark or share this story with: