Latest news:

Hinckley United 3 Leigh RMI 1

By Matt Lawton
October 30 2006

Two goals from veteran striker Carl Heggs helped Hinckley grab their second victory in three days, with RMI empty-handed on their long journey back from Leicestershire. With the postponement of Saturdayís scheduled home game with Hucknall due to the continued involvement of Hucknall in this seasonís FA Cup, RMI had a nine day break between the trip to Hinckley and their previous outing in the 1-1 draw with Scarborough at Hilton Park.

Hinckley meanwhile have had to contend with a sizeable fixture backlog after a number of their games were postponed following the tragic death of their defender Matt Gadsby during a game at Harrogate earlier in the season, with the Hinckley players showing a tremendous strength of character in climbing the Conference North table, despite the devastating loss of their friend and colleague.

Fresh from an emphatic 4-1 victory at struggling Lancaster on Saturday, the hosts were quickly in to their stride and took the lead within five minutes when former Rushden striker Carl Heggs, a veteran of the non-league circuit, put the ball past RMI goalkeeper John Lamb.

It looked as though RMI were heading for another defeat as they continue to struggle in the lower reaches of the table, but they managed to get on level terms when much-maligned striker Dan Owen, who is likely to face competition for his place following the signing of ex-Preston striker Mark Jackson, scored an equaliser that does no harm at all to his hopes of a regular place in RMIís starting line up, leaving the sides level at the break.

The majority of the 564 crowd at the Marston Stadium could breath a sigh of relief less than fifteen minutes in to the second half when the hosts regained their lead with a goal from ex-Nuneaton midfielder Richard Lavery, before Heggs scored his second of the game to seal the victory with barely five minutes left on the clock.

View a Printer Friendly version of this Story.

Bookmark or share this story with: