Latest news:

1959/60 Series - Burnley v Nottingham Forest

October 7 2006

The Longside takes you back to the 59/60 Championship season with the nineteenth installment of the 1959/60 Series. This week sees a very special game for Burnley supporters as the Clarets championship march gets well under way with an astonishing win over Nottingham Forest.

1959/60 Series
Burnley v Nottingham Forest
Saturday 21st November 1959


Referee: Mr H.P.Hackney (Barnsley)

Linesmen: Mr G.E.Cartwright and Mr J.S.Jordon


Attendance: 24,349





Blacklaw, Angus, Elder, Seith, Miller, Adamson, Connelly, McIlroy, Pointer, Robson, Pilkington.


Nottingham Forest:

Thomson, Whare, Patrick, Whitefoot, McKinlay, Iley, Gray, Booth, Wilson, Quigley, Imlach.


The opposition this week were last season's FA Cup winners Nottingham Forest, and included in their line up was former Claret favourite Billy Gray. After witnessing the last home win over reigning champions Wolverhampton Wanderers, the Burnley faithful had high expectations of their team, but nobody in the ground today could have envisaged how great a performance they were about to experience.


Burnley were once again fortunate to be able to field an unchanged side, and Harry Potts continued to back his young protégé Jimmy Robson, much to the disappointment of the fans who were increasingly critical of his lack of goals, but this was to be the afternoon where Jimmy was to win over the hearts of those very same fans, by banging in five, yes FIVE goals.


The game kicked off with both teams playing attacking football, with both Gray and Connelly showing some very skilful wing play. Jimmy McIlroy was continuing his recent run of good form, and at times mesmerised the Forest defence with his wizardry.


Robson had soon put the Clarets ahead when he latched onto a parried Connelly shot. Pilkington was next on the scoresheet when having picked up the ball in the Burnley half he ran at the Forest defence unchallenged and unleashed a powerful shot, which whistled past the motionless Thomson.


The Nottingham defence were now seriously under the cosh and they had no answer to the marauding Clarets. Robson scored the third with a well-hit shot. It was now one-way traffic, and Burnley managed to go further ahead with two goals from Ray Pointer and Robson respectively. Burnley left the pitch at half time 5-0 up, Robson having bagged his hat trick and the crowd giving a rapturous round of applause.


The Clarets started the second half where they left off the first by continuing to bombard the Forest goal. Pointer soon put the Clarets further ahead with a well-taken header, which he looped over the hapless Forest keeper. The crowd were now ecstatic and continued to roar on their heroes with every attack. Robson scored his fourth with a well-taken header.


At this point their was a little respite for the Forest team, as Gray decided enough was enough, and he started to pressurise the Burnley defence with some of his renowned attacking wing play, but it was to be short lived as Robson cracked his fifth and the Clarets eighth.


The final whistle blew with the score at Burnley 8 Nottingham Forest 0. Burnley had absolutely pulverised the shell-shocked Forest side, sweet revenge for a 7-0 drubbing they had received at the City Ground 2 seasons earlier. They left the pitch today to a standing ovation. The buzz from the fans on their way home was electric and all the talk in the town was of the possibility that could this be Burnley's year.


Programme Review:


Both teams were as printed in the programme.



Harry Potts Calling


All the talk in his column this week was about the ever increasing list of internationals that was being assembled at Turf Moor, with McIlroy, Elder, Connelly and Blacklaw all being chosen to represent their countries at one level or another.


Elder was especially praised for being chosen for his country, being only 18 years of age and after having only appearing 8 times in the league at senior level. One amazing fact about this current side was that in their last game at Hillsborough Burnley had fielded no less than 10 players that had represented their countries at various levels, probably a record for any Burnley side.


A closing lighter note to this unparalleled success was that even one of our more promising junior players had been chosen as ball boy at the recent international between England and Ireland at Wembley.




League table before the Forest game.



Next game: Fulham v Burnley Saturday 28th November 1959.

View a Printer Friendly version of this Story.

Bookmark or share this story with:


StreamFootball - Burnley