Latest news:

1959/60 Series - Part Fifteen

August 15 2006

The Longside takes you back to the 59/60 Championship season with the fifteenth installment of the 1959/60 Series. This week sees a friendly against the Great Britain Olympic team and a league game against Manchester City at the Turf.

1959/60 Series - Part Fifteen



This week we are profiling two games, the prestigious friendly against the Great Britain Olympic Team and the League Division One game against Manchester City.


Burnley v The Great Britain Olympic Team - Monday 19th October 1959.


Incredibly Burnley within 48 hours of the league encounter at Ewood Park, fielded their very near first team against the amateurs from all four of the home countries that made up a Great Britain Olympic side. I say incredibly because we were already into a very hectic league programme whereby we had already sustained injuries to key players, and in those days there wasn't the same squad rotation as we see today.


There was an actual single sheet programme produced for this game which has become a bit of a rarity. It cost only 1d and had the team line ups on one side and the 1959/60 squad on the other, see scans.


The Clarets came out of the game easy winners with a 5-0 victory, with the goals coming from Connelly (2), McIlroy (2) and White (1).



One thing to note of interest looking at the 38-man 1959/60 squad is that there are no players listed that have been brought in from any league clubs. To win the League title with such an inexperienced squad would be totally impossible in today's football, thus making Burnley's achievement in doing so even more remarkable.


Moving on to the league game…


Burnley v Manchester City - Saturday 24th October 1959


Referee: Mr A Howcroft (Rotherham)

Linesmen: Mr K E Walker and Mr M Walmsley


Attendance: 28,653





Blacklaw, Angus, Elder, Seith, Miller, Adamson, Connelly, McIlroy, Pointer, White, Pilkington


Man City:

Trautman, Leivers, Sear, Cheetham, McTavish, Barnes, Barlow, Hannah, McAdams, Hayes, Colbridge.


After having taken only one point from their last three games, Burnley were today facing very tough opposition in the form of high flying Manchester City, who had won all of their last five games scoring some thirty goals in the process.


The Turf Moor crowd were as hopeful as ever that their footballing heroes could manage to overturn their recent run of losses, and get back to winning ways. Apart from the football the crowd were also witnessing a very rare event… rain, yes rain, after the recent months of drought they were witnessing a very welcome sight indeed.


The game began with The Clarets first out of their blocks and pressurising the City defence with McIlroy, although being shadowed by two defenders started in scintillating form and it was he who passed to Pilkington who in turn swiftly despatched the ball into the City net.


Burnley continued to push the City defence hard and once again it was McIlroy who provided the cross for Pointer to put the Clarets into a two goal lead. City had very few chances in the first half but what they did have Blacklaw dealt with admirably. The Clarets finished the half well on top and went in with a 2-0 lead.


The second half commenced in much the same manner as the first half finished with Burnley having the better of the attacking play. Pointer had the crowd gasping in disbelief as he went on one of his pacy runs which ended with him smashing his head against the wall behind the goal. There was lots of concern shown by the medical staff, and Pointer was stretchered off. Amazingly he came back on to rapturous applause within a few minutes of leaving the pitch.


Shortly after this incident City appeared to wake up and through Hannah got a goal back. Burnley though were still in command and quickly established a 4-1 lead with two goals from Billy White. Surely now this was game over, but City scored again with Hannah grabbing his second.


Colebridge then broke free and scored the third for City, leaving the Burnley defence panicking and the crowd believing that City would get the equaliser, but luckily for the Clarets the referee blew the final whistle, much to the relief of the supporters, leaving Burnley as the 4-3 winners.


Programme Review:


Teams as printed in the programme except White wearing number 8 and McIlroy wearing number 10 instead of Robson.



Harry Potts Calling:


This week Harry was heaping praise on John Connelly who had just had his first game for England against Wales the previous Saturday and had played exceptionally well. Much praise was also given to the young reserve team who had also been playing well.


Harry also mentioned how proud he was that Burnley had been chosen to play the prestigious game against The Great Britain Olympic team and thanked the supporters for turning out in good numbers and supporting the game.



Next Game: Luton Town v Burnley Saturday 31st October 1959.



View a Printer Friendly version of this Story.

Bookmark or share this story with:


StreamFootball - Burnley