Latest news:

Tigers Mauled By Plucky Burnley

No Impact

By T/T
April 10 2010

On a day when both sides badly needed a win it was Burnley who gave their survival hopes a much needed shot in the arm as they won 4-1 at Hull City. I dont think either side will survive but what a crap display by the Kittens.

There looked to be precious little hope of an away win when Kevin Kilbane gave Hull a lead their first half display merited but ten minutes before the break, Martin Paterson showed a touch of class out of keeping with much of what preceded it as he netted an excellent leveller.

After the break Burnley were a side transformed as two superbly taken Graham Alexander penalties and a late free-kick from Wade Elliott stole the points.

The Great Escape theme tune was played prior to the match and both teams remain up against it as they bid to retain their Premier League status.

But Burnley gave themselves a fighting chance in their remaining four fixtures after responding well to the 6-1 annihilation they suffered at the hands of Manchester City.

Great escape

Iain Dowie's Tigers have a game in hand on their relegation rivals, but if West Ham had not won they could have climbed out of the bottom three for the first time since February with victory.

George Boateng shook off the effects of concussion and an overnight hospital stay following the loss at Stoke to take his place in Hull's midfield, and initially the presence of their captain appeared to have a galvanising effect on the hosts.

The Tigers were 2-0 winners over Fulham in their last home match - Dowie's first home fixture in charge - and took the lead after three minutes.

Craig Fagan fed Jozy Altidore down the right and his looping cross held up invitingly for Kilbane to rush on and head in at the far post.

Having conceded five in the opening 45 minutes last weekend it was not the start Burnley would have wished for.

There was talk of dressing-room unrest following last week's debacle and two players substituted at half-time were left out at the KC Stadium.

Robbie Blake dropped to the bench, while Kevin McDonald was left out completely after being disciplined for leaving Turf Moor without permission during the City loss.

The Clarets defence certainly looked far from united.

Indeed, Michael Duff required treatment after receiving a cut in an aerial clash of heads with team-mate Leon Cort.

Tigers fans taunted the claret-and-blue-clad opposition, signing: "Are you Scunthorpe in disguise?"

But they will have regretted their choice of song when former Iron forward Paterson popped up with the equaliser.

Right-back Tyrone Mears cut inside Kilbane with ease and crossed left-footed for Paterson.

The recalled forward, who was on the edge of the six-yard box, controlled the ball and hit a right-footed shot on the turn low beyond Myhill.

Andy Dawson was carried off on a stretcher early in the second half for Hull and their woes worsened when Burnley piled on the pressure and were rewarded with a second goal.

After Duff had missed a golden opportunity, lifting over with the goal gaping, he was brought down by a combination of Ibrahima Sonko and Boateng for a penalty.

Bernard Mendy had been booked for a foul on Danny Fox and the resulting free-kick had to be retaken as Fagan was adjudged to have encroached.

Fox pumped the ball into the box and the ball dropped for Duff, who was brought down, with referee Martin Atkinson pointing to the spot.

Cooly taken

Alexander stepped up and drilled into the bottom right corner to put Burnley in front.

Hull attempted a response, but conceded on the counter-attack as Nugent, despite cries for an initial handball, raced down the left.

Mendy, who had moved to full-back after the introduction of Geovanni, pulled him back and Atkinson blew for a spot-kick for a second time.

The referee, though, kept his cards in his pocket and Mendy avoided a second caution.

Alexander again chose to shoot to the right and again Myhill went the wrong way as Burnley went 3-1 up.

Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink, on for Fagan, made space for himself on the right, but his cross was just out of reach of Altidore at the far post as Hull sought to pull a goal back.

Bullard drilled off target from 20 yards but Hull's misery was compounded when Elliott curled in an excellent fourth goal.

The midfielder's expertly-taken inswinging free-kick flew past Myhill and into the top corner.


We deseverve to go down after that, Burnley probably will but well done to them, we took them for granted and paid the price, probably the the two most annoyed sets of fans in the country with the management appointments.

View a Printer Friendly version of this Story.

Bookmark or share this story with:

Tigers Mauled By Plucky Burnley
Discussion started by House of Hull , 10/04/2010 18:04
House of Hull
10/04/2010 18:04
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Your Name: 
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing