Latest news:

Grays Athletic 2-3 Burton Albion

By Scott Chambers
February 1 2006

Burton Albion record another great away victory with a tense victory at Grays thanks to goals from Jon Shaw, Chris Hall and Aaron Webster. Burton now climb to 10th in the table and surely if current performances continue, the playoffs arent out of the question. Last time the Brewers visited Grays, an abysmal Burton performance led to them being hammered 5-0 in the FA Trophy Semi Final against the Conference South runaways. This time around however, the Brewers left Essex with smiles on their faces after recording a fantastic 3-2 win which moved them up to 10th in the league.

One of the best performances of the season earnt the victory with every player of the team giving more than 110%. The Grays side had a poor game especially defensively and if Burton had been better finishers on the day they couldve won by more than the close scoreline.

Burton came out strong hoping to earn some sort of revenge after last year. The goal was coming and it did on 17 minutes. Gilroys freekick was missed by all the Grays defenders leaving it for Jon Shaw to belt home a cracking finish from the edge of the box.

The joy didnt last for long as Grays found an equaliser soon after, Martin picked up Battersbys second cross after Stride failed to clear and Martin hit home from close range.

Burton didnt let their heads drop though and were back infront 3 minutes later. Jon Shaw flicked on Websters long throw for Chris Hall to tap in from close range.

This time the lead lasted for longer. Burton made some other good moves forward but couldnt find the finishing touch. Grays created a few chances but nothing clear cut. The effort of the Burton players showed as they were first to every loose ball and won the majority of 50/50 challenges.

At half time the Brewers looked comfortable but Grays did look like they could produce a goal from nothing and the 1 goal lead didnt look like enough.

Grays then controversially equalised. A penalty was awarded to Grays just into the 2nd half against Webster. It appeared to be a bit harsh on Webster who didnt make much contact. Thurgood stepped up to take the penalty hit it at the perfect height for Saul Deeney who made a great save! As the Burton players congratulated the goalkeeper the referee ordered a retake for no apparent reason. Thurgood was grateful for the second chance and beat the keeper at the 2nd attempt.

Once again Burton refused to give up and soon after Grays equalised again the Brewers went back ahead. Aaron Webster made up for conceding the penalty by hitting a well placed volley into the roof of the net from Shaws flick on off a Kris Taylor corner.

Fans didnt go mental as Grays had already come back twice from behind. Grays began to put pressure on but it was still Burton who looked more likely to score again. Some more impressive defending from Stride and Austin allowed Burton to hold on and earn a fantastic victory. Clough was quick to praise every single player as they outplayed their Essex opponents.

If performances like this occur every game then surely in 10th, the playoffs arent out of the question.

View a Printer Friendly version of this Story.

Bookmark or share this story with:


Burton Albion latest threads