Latest news:

Bees run continues in yet another demolition

By Jamie Mcleod
September 19 2004

The Bees unbeaten run continues as they cruised to there sixth succesive win, maintaining there three point lead at the top.

Barnet  4-1  Gravesend & Northfleet

Underhill's biggest attendance of the season was audience to another fine display the bees, maintaining there three point lead at the top of the table.

The Bees, were without the suspended Dwane Lee, and with Shane Gore still out injured, Ricky Millard continued to deputise with former Nottingham Forest youngster Scott Tynan on the bench.

The teamtalk before the game was centered around whether Guy Lopez or Nicky Bailey would replace Lee, with both having little first team football this season. However manager Paul Fairclough went with the more experienced Guy Lopez with Bailey starting on the bench.

It was considered to be the Bees toughest game so far with the opposition sitting firmly in fourth spot before the game, there manager picking up Manager of the month and Striker Roy Essandoh a candidate for player of the month.

The game started reasonably quiet with no teams producing any real goalscoring oppurtunities, and neither keeper was tested early on.

The first chance of the game came in the 35th minute, falling to Bees man Guliano Grazioli. Ian Hendon with the trademark run up the right wing centering for Graziolis deflected shot to hit the bar and go over for a corner.

It was frorm the resulting corner that Barnet would grab the first goal of the game, Liam Hatch, playing with a fractured wrist popping up to slot the ball home amongst a crowd of players. This would be the first of three in the space of ten minutes as Northfleet keeper Mittens terrible fumble lead to Grazioli slotting home from a tight angle to put the bees 2-0 up.

Hatch then went on to secure Barnets third just before the break, thumping the ball into the roof of the net after yet another mistake from Northfleet keeper Mitten.

The break could not come quicker for the visitors as Barnet were turning on the style, attacking from all angles. Gravesend came into the game a bit more after the break, gaining some valuable possesion, however were unable to find an end product with Ishmael Yakabu particularly on top form. 

Barnet were still firing on all cylinders though, Richie Graham taking on several players, beating the keeper but the angle was always going to be too tight. Strevens was next in line for a chance with a brilliant looping shot, beating Mitten but ending up the wrong side of the post.

With the rain falling heavily, Barnets fourth gave the fans of the North and The North-west uncovered terraces something to cheer about. Substitue Lee Roache provider for Dean Sinclair to round the keeper and slot home his fourth goal of the season.

Gravesend grabbed a late meaningless consolation through Omoyinmi, but it was the Bees fans going home happy.


Barnet: Millard, Hendon, King, Yakubu, Clist, Strevens (Dobson 85), Sinclair, Lopez (Bailey 82), Graham, Hatch, Grazioli (Roache 77). Subs Not Used: Tynan, Champion.

Booked: Strevens, Sinclair, Graham.

Goals: Hatch 36, Grazioli 44, Hatch 45, Sinclair 80.

Gravesend: Mitten, Protheroe, Shearer (Jackson 31), Moore, Lovell, Drury, McKimm, Saunders, Surey, Essandoh (Omoyinmi 71), Louis, Jackson (Sidibe 64). Subs Not Used: Wilkerson, Gledhill.

Sent Off: Moore (89).

Booked: Surey, Moore.

Goals: Omoyinmi 88.

Attendance: 2,235.

Ref: M Harris, just another S**t ref


View a Printer Friendly version of this Story.

Bookmark or share this story with:


Barnet latest threads