Latest news:
Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Next up: Stevenage (A)
Posted by: Kenny_Crons
Date: 03/08/2018 15:45
This time last year, I was attempting to write the preview for our first game of the season whilst dealing with the obstacle of being deep in the Irish countryside. Some things don’t change and I am still having to cope with internet access being drip fed to our cottage in the Wexford hills.

There is also some deja vu in the sense that we are away from home again and that the super white army have a big journey to tackle for the first game.

But of course that’s where all similarities end because we are anticipating a return to proper football instead of the resignation of facing another season in the National League. And that adds a whole new level of excitement in the build up to tomorrow’s game!

Euphoria has been the order of the day for most of the summer with many of us constantly revisiting those momentous events in May. Despite this, there has been a lot of work going on in recruitment of players to ensure that the upcoming season isn’t just a flash in the pan, and we firmly establish ourselves back in the league.

It’s not for me to say how good this recruitment has been though and I suppose it will be results that will ultimately determine how successful our summer signings have been.

Saturday’s opponents have had a huge restructure this summer with 15 new players signing on for Stevenage FC. Despite this, the Lamex Stadium regulars (all 2,500 of them) have been buoyed by a good pre-season and head into the game full of confidence. Residents from England’s very first New Town are being encouraged to flock to Broadhall Way so the attendance can crash through the 4,000 mark. The visiting Super White Army will be hugely beneficial in achieving this goal I think.

Comments from Stevenage manager, Dino Maamria, suggests there is a healthy respect being given to the Rovers. But closer reading of Dino’s quotes makes me think they are expecting a non-league, rough and tumble approach from us. We may surprise them a bit when we turn up wanting to play instead of kick.

All in all, with only one more sleep before battle commences appetites are thoroughly whetted and anticipation is building nicely. Tomorrow is the culmination of three years of blood, sweat and tears in the National League, and is the first step of our new journey to reach League One. I am looking forward to tomorrow and the season as a whole and I have every confidence that our great club is heading in the right direction

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email: