Latest news:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: Arteta does a Wenger.
Posted by: SuperRob
Date: 03/02/2020 12:53
Quote:
goonerred
I thnk the stat proves that defensively we are a bit better. Maybe we have to start there first. Give him a bit longer.

Of course, I'd give him another 3 years. I would also have given Emery another 2 years and I wouldn't have minded if we had appointed Ljungberg full time for 2 years.

I said before Emery was sacked that the problem was the playing squad rather than the head coach. The consensus was that a new coach could have a transformative effect, but I don't think that has proved to be the case so far. The players are putting in more effort now, but it's a similar level of effort to the first half of Emery's first season. Let's hope it will last this time, and let's see what Arteta can do with the winter break.

This season:

Emery - 1.4 points per game (13 games)
Ljungberg - 1 point per game (5 games)
Arteta - 1.1 points per game (7 games)

Emery 1st 13 games last season - 2.1 points per game

Edu and Raul have the most important jobs in the club now. In hindsight, last summer window was a complete disaster, and that's Raul's fault entirely. But if they get it right at some point over the next 2 summer windows, then whoever happens to be the coach at that time will be hailed as the hero. If they don't, then we'll keep going through head coaches like Utd have been since Ferguson retired. Klopp is always the example used of a transformative coach, but frankly they were transformed more by the signings of Salah, Firmino and especially Van Dijk than they were by the arrival of Klopp. If Brendan Rogers were the manager when those signings were made, I'm confident they'd still be winning the league right now.

Our recruitment has been poor for the last 10 years. Wenger had to go for this reason. Edu has been in the job for only a few months so hopefully he can improve things. But it's key to realise that he and Raul are not unsackable. If the recruitment doesn't improve soon, they should be the ones who come under increasing pressure, not the head coach.

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net