Latest news:
This is the board where Arsenal fans can discuss all things Arsenal, and any other football issues that they feel are of interest to Gunners. Opposition fans are welcome, but remember this board is from an Arsenal point of view. Off Topic Discussion should take place on the Off Topic Forum. Off Topic discussion will be removed. Any topic that is football related, within reason, is not off topic.

Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: Transfer summary
Posted by: MattySadler
Date: 06/08/2019 05:27
Quote:
Gunnersingh1
We shouod be after his CB partner Konate or Diop from West Ham fior that kind of Money.
Konate and Diop are both buge with pace, Upamecano is slowish and not that tall for a CB.

Yes I'd rather have either as well, but I suspect both would cost more. Konate is pretty universally regarded as the better of the two, and Diop plays for a Premier League side who are ambitious and in a pretty cushy situation, financially, with the stadium deal, etc.

I'm not confident it will happen either way but if it does, at least Upamecano is physically strong, strong in duels, reads the game well and, importantly, stays on his feet, so he'd be an improvement on everything we already have here.

No idea how much money we are able to spend. My worry is that we're really gambling on getting into the Champions League and going all out, and may be eating into future season's transfer budgets if it doesn't come off. Could be well worth buying British as we may be able to get a "less fashionable" CB for less than £60 - 80 million...

Quote:
Boston Gooner
Reports that talks with Forest over Carl Jenkinson transfer.

Yeah and agreed a fee with Bordeaux over Koscielny apparently.

I'm seeing people trying to theorise that we wouldn't be selling Koscielny unless we were bringing a centre back in. However, Koscielny has gone on strike giving us little choice but to sell, and forgetting quality for a moment, numerically we still have Sokratis, Mustafi, Holding, Chambers and Mavropanos, as well as Monreal and Medley, who could all play there, so I certainly wouldn't say that is a guarantee. As I've said previously I think the links to Coutinho, Umtiti and Upamecano may be intentional leaks just to appease the fans.

Wonder if there will be any movement re the likes of Mustafi, Elneny and Mkhitaryan...

Honestly this surprisingly good transfer window needs a starting CB and LB to be truly excellent. We can't expect to do any better if we go into the seasons without strengthening those two areas. Come on get it done!

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net