Latest news:

Once again!
Discussion started by Ingleboro08 (IP Logged), 17 October, 2020 15:38
Ingleboro08
Ingleboro08
17 October, 2020 15:38
Gone behind (again) from a set piece!

We definitely need to stay in this.
Could do with getting in their box.

Hopefully, we can make a comeback!
Paul Mullin has scored again! (Pen.) 6 for the season.

MESSAGES->author
Phil65
17 October, 2020 15:41
Newport have clearly got the most comfortable grass in the league; they're spending enough time lying on it.

Ingleboro08
Ingleboro08
17 October, 2020 15:46
Same last season!

Paul Mullin again! (Pen)

Must get at them a bit more second half.

FloodlitFridays
FloodlitFridays
17 October, 2020 15:54
Quote:
Phil65
Newport have clearly got the most comfortable grass in the league; they're spending enough time lying on it.

Yes, and the ref's been buying it every time. No change to their style of two years ago, quite clearly. Flynn's definitely got a bit of a proclivity for the dark arts.

aktrfc
aktrfc
17 October, 2020 15:56
We need a magic MJ sub at half time.

MoanerLesser
TRSince1968
17 October, 2020 15:57
Could do with VAR. One free kick they were given was when the player tripped up his right foot with his left! The commentators suggest that Tranmere only ever play long and direct. Based on the half, I can see why they think that. I think Feeney and Young should be given a chance. Maybe take off Banks because of his yellow card.no shots at all says a lot... The team last week had fourteen shots....

MESSAGES->author
sparky100
17 October, 2020 16:18
The Newport players should be ashamed of themselves but I doubt if they are! Surely something should be done about them congratulating themselves after the sending off. Shameful behaviour.

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades
17 October, 2020 16:22
Anthony Coggins the referee feared the worst.

He of Chester v Rovers VNL fame or is that infamy.

MoanerLesser
TRSince1968
17 October, 2020 16:28
Quote:
TRSince1968
Could do with VAR. One free kick they were given was when the player tripped up his right foot with his left! The commentators suggest that Tranmere only ever play long and direct. Based on the half, I can see why they think that. I think Feeney and Young should be given a chance. Maybe take off Banks because of his yellow card.no shots at all says a lot... The team last week had fourteen shots....

Glad he was reading this thread lol

Rally the rovers
Rally the rovers
17 October, 2020 16:52
The Irish clown commentating has absolutely no clue!

MoanerLesser
TRSince1968
17 October, 2020 17:01
Quote:
Rally the rovers
The Irish clown commentating has absolutely no clue!

He definitely has a bias for Newport!

Anyway, before we are bombarded by the usual suspects, four out of six games have been played away, quite a few teams are playing badly and conceding goals and we have players to come back, so things could be far worse.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/10/2020 17:04 by TRSince1968.

goosed
goosed
17 October, 2020 17:04
Dire game that

Ingleboro08
Ingleboro08
17 October, 2020 17:17
Not good, started too defensive, no outlet and setup not to lose.
We did lose!
Not a shot on target, their goalie had a day off, nowt to do.

Not my idea of playing football.
Shape wasn't brilliant, another set piece goal again from a mistake.

They weren't great and maybe with hindsight should have had a go and tried to put under pressure, but the sending off didn't help.
Not worth a tenner!
Crap service, not good enough!

ADD
ADD
17 October, 2020 17:46
That was truly dire. Back to the absolute rubbish of the early games. We had a good side out today with a first choice/ equal back 5 (Murphy and Davies interchangeable for me) and 3 guaranteed starters in midfield. This playing 1 up front does not work when we don't have a target man. Jacko however seems unwilling to recognise that and we persisted until 4 minutes from time when the game was lost already.Created absolutely nothing with not a single shot on target.
The sending off shocking reactions by Newport players but doubt it will be over turned on appeal - looking at it again his right foot seems to come out after the initial challenge as well. Have to say playing as we were I think we would have lost even without the sending off but we will never know now.
Finally referee was terrible beyond belief - and not just because of the sending off.
Bright spots very few, other than Murphy made two excellent saves, Clarke was solid as ever and Young looked excellent when he came on. Hasn't been easy start for Jacko with Covid last week and this week and I appreciate we have had more away games but even so 6 points from 18 is not good.

Uptonrover
Uptonrover
17 October, 2020 17:48
Never a sending off but at the end if the day dont give the ref the decision to make especially when he looked like he was itching to get his cards out

greasbyrover
greasbyrover
17 October, 2020 17:52
I don't watch the ifollow games, only the highlights on Quest. From reading various forum comments, there seems to be several matches now where we haven't even had a shot on target!

MoanerLesser
TRSince1968
17 October, 2020 18:08
Quote:
ADD
That was truly dire. Back to the absolute rubbish of the early games. We had a good side out today with a first choice/ equal back 5 (Murphy and Davies interchangeable for me) and 3 guaranteed starters in midfield. This playing 1 up front does not work when we don't have a target man. Jacko however seems unwilling to recognise that and we persisted until 4 minutes from time when the game was lost already.Created absolutely nothing with not a single shot on target.
The sending off shocking reactions by Newport players but doubt it will be
over turned on appeal - looking at it again his right foot seems to come out after the initial challenge as well. Have to say playing as we were I think we would have lost even without the sending off but we will never know now.
Finally referee was terrible beyond belief - and not just because of the sending off.
Bright spots very few, other than Murphy made two excellent saves, Clarke was solid as ever and Young looked excellent when he came on. Hasn't been easy start for Jacko with Covid last week and this week and I appreciate we have had more away games but even so 6 points from 18 is not good.

The team has been depleted due to the Covid 19 situation within the club. The team still managed a reasonable performance against the top 2 teams. The top two teams are only 7 points ahead. Yes, performances need to improve but there needs to be a settled team. I prefer to look on the bright side. There is a long way to go.

FloodlitFridays
FloodlitFridays
17 October, 2020 18:14
Quote:
ADD
That was truly dire. Back to the absolute rubbish of the early games. We had a good side out today with a first choice/ equal back 5 (Murphy and Davies interchangeable for me) and 3 guaranteed starters in midfield. This playing 1 up front does not work when we don't have a target man. Jacko however seems unwilling to recognise that and we persisted until 4 minutes from time when the game was lost already.Created absolutely nothing with not a single shot on target.
The sending off shocking reactions by Newport players but doubt it will be over turned on appeal - looking at it again his right foot seems to come out after the initial challenge as well. Have to say playing as we were I think we would have lost even without the sending off but we will never know now.
Finally referee was terrible beyond belief - and not just because of the sending off.
Bright spots very few, other than Murphy made two excellent saves, Clarke was solid as ever and Young looked excellent when he came on. Hasn't been easy start for Jacko with Covid last week and this week and I appreciate we have had more away games but even so 6 points from 18 is not good.

I knew it! No comment when we comfortably beat Scunthorpe and the only comment on the Salford game came (shock horror!!) when we were 2-0 down. Painfully obvious you’re champing at the bit to see the team fail. Or more specifically, the manager. Your clear contempt for both MM and Jacko is baffling.

Uptonrover
Uptonrover
17 October, 2020 18:20
To be fair that wasnt a depleted side though was it? We had players missing that might have played but that could pretty much be a starting 11. Jackson says we were not upto it today in his post match and i think thats a fair assessment. Newport played the ref much better than we did and Jackson admitted we knew thats how they would play , using the “dark arts” yet the team were not streetwise enough not to fall into their traps

Tranmere pete San Francisco.
Pete SF
17 October, 2020 18:35
Today not a the races. No shots on goal no corners. Second best though the hole game. We need a win on Tuesday.

Oxfordshireroverssince1980
Oxfordshireroverssince1980
17 October, 2020 19:04
Frustrating watching Newport fall down and complain over everything with resulting free kicks etc.
The sending off was partly due to the players making a fuss with the referee- they seemed to make his mind up- it wasn't a sending off.
Young was sound. We weren't really an attacking force today. Spoilt by the referee and the poor philosophy/ attitude of the Newport Team.

gloucester white
gloucester white
17 October, 2020 19:13
Not a great that - just made for uncomfortable viewing and that Newport commentary duo were cringe worthy. We pulled off a miracle at Salford last week but that always looked unlikely to happen today. It's a quite familiar scenario for most games this season - we just aren't creating anything!

Bored rover
Bored rover
17 October, 2020 20:10
I know we have players missing but we have to start threatening the other teams goal, same thing every week at the minute. Solid at the back but lack lustre going forwards. I would like to see MJ take the shackles off this team its a little bit Brabinesk, we look so @#$%& scared of loosing thatvwe sont start playing until we are behind. Really frustrating as we bosses the last half hour with 10 imagine if wed have gone for it from the off instead of hoofing it aimlessly.

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades
17 October, 2020 20:12
Whilst the club haven't disclosed who tested positive it has to be Vaughan and Davies both hopefully available next weekend after isolating?

The transfer window is now closed, so both Morgan and CBT will be welcome additions to our attacking options when fit.

Jack Young was one of the very few pluses today and Feeney off the bench another and not forgetting Sam Smith (unavailable today signed too late)

We just need to be more aggressive offensively and that means two up front, lets pressurise teams from the start and let them worry about us for a change.

Considering the performance away at Cambridge was so good and we were basically cheated out of the victory, they won away 5-0 again today!!!!

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69
17 October, 2020 20:14
Trying to decide which was the worst,Roverś or the commentators.Umm! Commentators shaded it for me.

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13
17 October, 2020 21:19
Completely different prospect when we are close to being able to field a full team.

kennyspint
kennyspint
18 October, 2020 00:15
+1
And i knew we'd get nothing when I saw who the ref was.

aktrfc
aktrfc
18 October, 2020 08:01
Have to disagree with the solid at the back comments. We still shipped 2 goals and without a couple of good saves, it could have been more. I don’t think Manny is up to it this season and I rather see Ellis given a go ahead of him. As for the sending off, watching it in live time, it looked like a red to me, his foot came up after the challenge. If they want to celebrate a man getting sent off, so be it. I did when they had a player sent off in the final.

It is hard to take any positives from that game, but one thing for sure, we need to start creating chances.

MoanerLesser
TRSince1968
18 October, 2020 10:18
Quote:
mrGr33n13
Completely different prospect when we are close to being able to field a full team.
+1
Once the first team, so to speak, has a chance to play a few games together, I am sure things will improve. Despite my optimism, it was strange how the makeshift team against Salford played through the middle, with 14 shots at goal, and the team against Newport resorted to long ball and no shots. I don't think Lewis tackle was a red card offence looking at it again.

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13
18 October, 2020 10:54
The most disappointing thing for me was the reversion to long ball.

Needs must though maybe.

But i had hoped we'd continue to explore the new style which had served us well.

The level of disruption to the swuad and training is unprecedented though

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69
18 October, 2020 13:59
Quote:
kennyspint
+1
And i knew we'd get nothing when I saw who the ref was.

But it wasn't Coggins !A guy called Bramhall according to the commentators.

Tom Bombadil
Tom Bombadil
18 October, 2020 14:56
Considering the disruption to our squad and the fact that it was an away narrow loss away to a top three on form side. On reflection it could have been a lot worse considering how poorly some think we played. I know we've lost Lewis through his red but as far as I know we haven't had any more bad injuries. The team squad named for Leyton Orient will surprise a few I'm guessing. I for one was quite excited waiting for the team announcement on Saturday.

AndyMase
AndyMase
19 October, 2020 00:31
I thought it was interesting to hear the commentators (early on) seeing us as a long ball team who will come and try to spoil and disrupt play rather than try to play football.
Sadly it felt like an accurate assessment of how we actually played, as when they said that (about 10 mins into game) I was thinking what a load of bollox

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13
19 October, 2020 01:05
Quote:
AndyMase
I thought it was interesting to hear the commentators (early on) seeing us as a long ball team who will come and try to spoil and disrupt play rather than try to play football.
Sadly it felt like an accurate assessment of how we actually played, as when they said that (about 10 mins into game) I was thinking what a load of bollox

Haha had the exact same thought.

He said khan did not suit our style of play, when he probably epitomised it somewhat in the first games

bheadlad
bheadlad
19 October, 2020 02:52
Quote:
Ingleboro08
Gone behind (again) from a set piece!
We definitely need to stay in this.
Could do with getting in their box.

Hopefully, we can make a comeback!
Paul Mullin has scored again! (Pen.) 6 for the season.
Their commentators with one of them said that Newport were aware of TRFCs frailty at corners and set pieces as if it was common knowledge amongst the division

DevonExile
DevonExile
19 October, 2020 22:04
Our weakness from set pieces has been apparent well before this season. Monte is really poor on crosses and we look better when Ellis plays alongside Clarke.
I still think that we are better than our points haul suggests but our circumspect approach seems to suggest that we might give too much credit to the opposition. It is understandable that a rookie manager might be cautious but with just one win thus far, any manager would have to ask questions about playing one up

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
19 October, 2020 22:29
Quote:
DevonExile
It is understandable that a rookie manager might be cautious but with just one win thus far, any manager would have to ask questions about playing one up

The answer to those questions is pretty obvious when we've had a maximum of two, and at times zero, fit senior strikers in the squad to call upon for any game so far.

kennyspint
kennyspint
19 October, 2020 23:02
Quote:
Tranmere69
Quote:
kennyspint
+1
And i knew we'd get nothing when I saw who the ref was.

But it wasn't Coggins !A guy called Bramhall according to the commentators.
He was still an awful ref- Coggins mini me maybe

ADD
ADD
20 October, 2020 07:40
Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy
Quote:
DevonExile
It is understandable that a rookie manager might be cautious but with just one win thus far, any manager would have to ask questions about playing one up

The answer to those questions is pretty obvious when we've had a maximum of two, and at times zero, fit senior strikers in the squad to call upon for any game so far.
But AM he can always play the junior striker Burton again - he looked very good in his 30 minute cameo until he was dragged off due to others playing out of position behind him at Salford but now we have our first choice defence back no issues.


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net