Latest news:

Cambridge (A) match discussion
Discussion started by Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged), 25 September, 2020 15:35
Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
25 September, 2020 15:35
Still haven't heard a dickie bird about our squad for tomorrow so it's hard to know what we might offer in an attacking sense.

No doubt Mullin will score for them tomorrow, no doubt to the delight of one ex Tranmere supporter on here.

But I'm going for a 1-1.

DevonExile
DevonExile
25 September, 2020 15:50
Before the season started this looked like a game we could win. It still does, and I think that we are far more likely to get something out of games if we go looking for a win. Thus far we have been set up and played like a team with an inferiority complex

Uptonrover
Uptonrover
25 September, 2020 16:30
Obviously hoping for a win but again will take a draw. Mullin will understandably be up for it. Pre match training video had CBT running and shooting so hopefully on the bench at the very least

MESSAGES->author
Phil65
25 September, 2020 16:50
Anybody able to get it up on ifollow yet (and that's not a euphemism for getting excited about our performances)?
I'm going to buck the trend as say we'll sneak a win, then we can all eat humble pie.
I get the humble pie either way if I'm wrong.
I'm hoping the whole squad will feel there's a point to prove.
A draw will also be a positive return for me.

Uglybob
Uglybob
25 September, 2020 18:20
Gone for us to win ( There's a surprise ) on the PL . I think we've got the players , all we need is a little self belief and NOT play one up front . If we go out to win rather than not to lose we've got a great chance . I think a lot will depend on our mental form tomorrow .

Bored rover
Bored rover
25 September, 2020 19:56
Cant go for a win for us on the previous 4 games no improvement attack wise. Im going for 0-0

Muir the merrier
Muir the merrier
25 September, 2020 22:24
Going for a 3-1 away win.....can't fire blanks forever.

ADD
ADD
26 September, 2020 05:40
I am concerned how we will set up. Surely Jacko has to go with two up front but I have my doubts he will even now.....
Given that it is hard to see a win today given their start so will go with a 2-0 defeat with Mullin scoring one. Wonder if he will celebrate his goal if he does score??

gary anderson
gary anderson
26 September, 2020 06:08
Pray for a win but will take a draw .its gonna take a few games to bed in as a squad and playing together as much as some will demand instant success. But life dont work like that for rovers never has never will .1-1 for me and mulling to get there goal

aktrfc
aktrfc
26 September, 2020 06:39
As long as we start with 2 up I’m going for 0-2, start with a defensive line up again and I’m going for 2-0. I’d prefer to do down fighting than play for a draw again. New day new game, come on you rovers.

Oxfordshireroverssince1980
26 September, 2020 08:30
I had a dream.... Cambridge 1 Tranmere 3. Mullin to score Cambridge goal just before half time. No Mullin celebration. 75/1

MoanerLesser
TRSince1968
26 September, 2020 08:50
If the team plays hoofball again, then I think it will be a struggle. Personally, I would prefer Murphy in goal. More likely to catch a ball from a corner and free kicks. If they implement what I have watched in training as regards passing, I think 1-0 win is possible. I hope the obsession with using a lone striker has gone away.

EnochsMassiveSock
EnochsMassiveSock
26 September, 2020 09:22
Murphy in goal
Two up front with some crosses in to the box
Winning loads of second balls
Play through our arguably excellent midfield rather than Manny sending it long every time
Play on the front foot and get at them with some continued pressure

I love my pre 3pm optimism.

26 September, 2020 09:51
yes, my dream may be optimistic 1-3. Murphy would be my preference but as Scotty has done the pre-match interview i cant see him starting today? Yes, i agree with all of previous post.

mogsysmullet
mogsysmullet
26 September, 2020 11:09
I am going to be positive an optimistic. I was going to post and still will that we've been dire. We've carried that negativity from pre-season into the actual season. Jacko smacks of Gary Brabin, great recruitment but he doesn't know his formation and how best to use these players. We set up to not lose and hope to catch a team on the counter. If Cambridge score first they'll go on to win 2-0 as we wont fight back, lewis and spearing are too similar and we stick to 1 man up top with no service. If jacko carries on being stubborn he wont last too long and will lose the backing of the fans

Now for my positive approach! We have feeney, a great outlet, great cross looked lively last week, play 2 upfront we should cause Cambridge problems. I am not saying I disrespect Cambridge but why should we fear them? just because they have won 2 out of 2 big wow, we have the better squad, the better ground, the better fan base and we SHOULD be going there for a positive result. Get woolery involved even if just off the bench. play 4 at the back 2 up front get the wingers going cause them problems don't sit back and invite pressure by going 5 at the back. I'll take a 0-0 but lets go and get something more eh! lets be positive jacko make subs with more than 10 mins left done be giving me this BS we know where we need to be or where we need to improve actually be there and actually have improved alright! now c'mon whites!

Zint
Zint
26 September, 2020 12:11
4-0 to Cambridge, Mullins with a (career first?) hat-trick, Davies sent off.

77leaguecupsemi
77leaguecupsemi
26 September, 2020 12:18
Cambridge a @#$%& of a place to get to and doubt the lads will have stayed over due to costs. Heavy defeat again I reckon. I’m worried about Jackson big time. Great signings but crikey last week was bad

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69
26 September, 2020 12:26
The current team hasn't turned in a decent performance to date.No goals,no wins.
I'd like to predict a win but there's nothing to base it on.Hope Mullin doesn't torment us !
Oh what the hell 1-2 .SWA

Bored rover
Bored rover
26 September, 2020 12:59
Quote:
TRSince1968
If the team plays hoofball again, then I think it will be a struggle. Personally, I would prefer Murphy in goal. More likely to catch a ball from a corner and free kicks. If they implement what I have watched in training as regards passing, I think 1-0 win is possible. I hope the obsession with using a lone striker has gone away.

All of us are amazing in training or 5 a-side ha ha

MESSAGES->author
sparky100
26 September, 2020 13:29
Only one up front again!

Viking Tranmere
Crazylegs Cranebird
26 September, 2020 13:32
Quote:
sparky100
Only one up front again!

If we dont win today - at Jacko's 8th attempt - I think it will be his last game in charge.

TRFC is #8 on Wirral's new Viking Trail
[www.facebook.com] 👊👊

gary anderson
gary anderson
26 September, 2020 13:41
Going for 0.0 then

millo1471
millo1471
26 September, 2020 13:46
Yet again, a negative line up, need 2 up front and try and win, instead of trying to stay in a game, a nick a late goal.

TimmySoft
TimmySoft
26 September, 2020 13:49
Nothing wrong with today’s line up, if these players get in the groove today then we could see the real Tranmere.

I’m a fan of 1 up top, but we need energy and pressure to make it work.

Good luck today lads!! Wish I could be in the ground, I work about 10 minutes away, so it’s gutting that I can’t be watching the Rivers when they’re closest to my home.

aktrfc
aktrfc
26 September, 2020 13:57
Well I hope this pays off. 1 up front yet again when we have Had only had 1 shot on goal so fAr this season.

Tranmere Tinker
Tranmere Tinker
26 September, 2020 14:13
A lot better so far, the better side in the opening 15 minutes

Bored rover
Bored rover
26 September, 2020 14:16
Got to caoatilise and score though

aktrfc
aktrfc
26 September, 2020 14:16
Something must be wrong with my iFollow, rovers are looking good, can this really be the same team

MoanerLesser
TRSince1968
26 September, 2020 14:44
Quote:
aktrfc
Something must be wrong with my iFollow, rovers are looking good, can this really be the same team
Something wrong with my Total Tranmere thread. A compliment about Tranmere!

TimmySoft
TimmySoft
26 September, 2020 14:48
Much better from Rovers, passing is better, I’d like to see Feeney and Khan get a bit more creative, but this is ours for the taking

MESSAGES->author
Phil65
26 September, 2020 14:49
Much better first half from what I saw (missed first 15-20 mins 'kin ifollow!). Hopefully it'll continue and we'll get something from the game.

This is @#$%&
This is sh1t
26 September, 2020 14:57
Quote:
Crazylegs Cranebird
Quote:
sparky100
Only one up front again!

If we dont win today - at Jacko's 8th attempt - I think it will be his last game in charge.

Really ? Maybe you can join Baldy’s protest if we lose

Shaumbra
Shaumbra
26 September, 2020 15:04
do we look like scoring?
sadly im not able to watch it

“Physical reality is actually a mirror: Your physical reality is just a reflection of what you most strongly believe to be true. And like a mirror, physical reality will not change unless you change first”

MESSAGES->author
Phil65
26 September, 2020 15:18
Quote:
Shaumbra
do we look like scoring?
sadly im not able to watch it

Vaughan just missed a great chance!

Bored rover
Bored rover
26 September, 2020 15:23
Lots O ball into the box just need a couple if the midfield to get in their and get on the end of something

Shaumbra
Shaumbra
26 September, 2020 15:28
Come on Rovers......let get this goal

“Physical reality is actually a mirror: Your physical reality is just a reflection of what you most strongly believe to be true. And like a mirror, physical reality will not change unless you change first”

Shaumbra
Shaumbra
26 September, 2020 15:29
20 mins to go, bring Woolery on, maybe he might get a goal for us

Durban Super White
Durban Super White
26 September, 2020 15:36
Agreed. Get Woolery on.

Bored rover
Bored rover
26 September, 2020 15:47
Need a CF

EgoEgoEgo
EgoEgoEgo
26 September, 2020 15:53
Need a win.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/09/2020 15:54 by EgoEgoEgo.

nwindsor
NickNotTheGreek
26 September, 2020 15:54
That defender played Vaughan onside! How did the linesman not see that? The ref would have given it.

TimmySoft
TimmySoft
26 September, 2020 15:54
Good performance. We didn’t lack chances either. 0-0 doesn’t really tell the story, the disallowed goal was criminal

This is @#$%&
This is sh1t
26 September, 2020 15:55
Terrible drawing away to league leaders - sure there’s enough supports here who will want to protest 😉

Bored rover
Bored rover
26 September, 2020 15:56
Sorry much as I want the goal if you watched on ifollow cant comment as to on or off as couldn't see Vaughan when the ball was kicked camera panned to him after the save

nwindsor
NickNotTheGreek
26 September, 2020 15:57
MJ not happy. The incompetence of that linesman cost us 2 points.

MESSAGES->author
Phil65
26 September, 2020 16:01
What a surprise, unaccountable officials having a huge impact on the outcome, but sadly, isn’t that just life though.
A game we thoroughly deserved to win; Cambridge couldn’t wait for the final whistle. Well done lads and thanks for restoring some faith and pride.

Uptonrover
Uptonrover
26 September, 2020 16:01
Quote:
Bored rover
Sorry much as I want the goal if you watched on ifollow cant comment as to on or off as couldn't see Vaughan when the ball was kicked camera panned to him after the save

The ifollow replay shows him coming from behind the defender? The very definition of onside

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/09/2020 16:02 by Uptonrover.

Uptonrover
Uptonrover
26 September, 2020 16:04
Feel quite robbed after that. We were by far the superior team just couldnt put a goal (that counted) in the net. I actually feel that was a good away formation too. Vaughan should have taken at least one of his other couple of chances though.

nwindsor
NickNotTheGreek
26 September, 2020 16:07
Quote:
Bored rover

Watch it again and stop the frame as players pan into picture. Defender is playing Vaughan onside. Neither players can move significantly in that split second.

nwindsor
NickNotTheGreek
26 September, 2020 16:09
Anyway match is over now. All we can do is take heart from the improved performance.

26 September, 2020 16:11
Really good football to watch today from Rovers- passed it round really well with pace. We deserved the 1-0 win- looked a goal to me- sure it was from what people are saying. Jay Spearing's tackles were great, all good individual performances- Cambridge were playing for the draw at the end- we were going for the 3 points, loads of corners. All positive, wrong decision to disallow the goal which is what we deserved. Could see MJ remonstrating at the end with the officials. I am heartened very much by the performance today.

jonesy792
jonesy792
26 September, 2020 16:14
Encouraging performance to suggest maybe the game vs Cheltenham was just a blip.

Like vs Mansfield, we were solid as a defensive unit. Watched game with a Cambridge U friend and he noticed that we were not letting them play compared to previous opposition. Apart from that chance in the first half for Hannant (although Clarke looked like he would have probably blocked the shot if it was on target) we closed them down well and were winning the individual battles, particularly in second half.

Feeney has transformed our attacking play. We were playing everything through him. Superb player. Man of the match.

Good to see Woolery get some time. Looked good for pace. When fit, him and Feeney on team sheet ahead of Morris and Khan every time for me. Morris and Khan work hard with nice touches, but lack pace and strength for me.

Unlucky for Vaughan with his goal. Difficult to comment for sure on decision from the viewers angle but was perplexed by decision. Would definitely fancy our chances on VAR.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/09/2020 16:17 by jonesy792.

EBAWB
EBAWB
26 September, 2020 16:14
We played really well. Easily deserved to win. Created chances. Well on top throughout. Had what looked like a perfectly good goal disallowed. A travesty that we did not win.

Every ball's a white ball

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades
26 September, 2020 16:28
After last weeks total surrender, we have got to be pleased at the transformation especially, against a team who have won both of their games scoring 5 without reply last week.

We appear to have created enough chances during the game and just a pity, we couldn't take one (disallowed goal aside). Hopefully, this is the start of more acceptable performances and confidence will build and the goals will follow.

TimmySoft
TimmySoft
26 September, 2020 16:30
Banks would be my man of the match, he had his foot on everything and some of the diagonals he played were of incredible quality.

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13
26 September, 2020 17:20
Looked good again.

Love the workrate, when players like khan put in a shift you know the ethos is good at the club.

Great football, solid at the back.

Just need to sharpen up a tad at the business end.

gloucester white
gloucester white
26 September, 2020 17:27
Thought we were great today. Couldn't fault anyone really. All on their game. Couldn't believe the goal was disallowed. I think today also showed there's little difference whether you're home or away. If anything it's harder being at home with the weight of expectation on you.

Bored rover
Bored rover
26 September, 2020 17:39
Quote:
Uptonrover
Quote:
Bored rover

The ifollow replay shows him coming from behind the defender? The very definition of onside

But you cant see his position when the ball was kicked so in fact not the very definition did the defended move past Vaughan after the ball was kicked hopefully highlights will show it

Zint
Zint
26 September, 2020 17:39
Glad I was wrong with my prediction. A much improved performance 👍

Uptonrover
Uptonrover
26 September, 2020 18:23
Quote:
Bored rover
Quote:
Uptonrover
Quote:
Bored rover

But you cant see his position when the ball was kicked so in fact not the very definition did the defended move past Vaughan after the ball was kicked hopefully highlights will show
it

Cant find a single person anywhere else on forums or twitter that says it was offside. Usually get quite a few opinions either way of a controversial decision. Most on Cambridge twitter are also saying they got lucky. Jackson has now watched footage and says its a goal so that will do for me

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/09/2020 18:25 by Uptonrover.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34
26 September, 2020 19:07
Tranmere got screwed. 3 points would have bene more than justified.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69
26 September, 2020 19:20
Excellent effort by all the lads today.So much better than last week.The one touch passing was class and made the league leaders look like mugs.Just need a partner for Vaughan.How was that goal offside?.

Tranmere pete San Francisco.
Pete SF
26 September, 2020 20:23
A very good effort today we were unlucky with the disallowed goal. The goals will come next Saturday hoping for a big win. Forget the game against Cheltenham that's gone so move on. We need to make pp a fortress.

Viking Tranmere
Crazylegs Cranebird
26 September, 2020 21:18
Just seen the highlights. Cambridge #7 clearly plays Vaughan on-side.
Be interested to see how "local" the linesman who stuck his flag up was.
VAR would have given the goal.

[www.facebook.com] 👊👊

Cybertron
Cybertron
26 September, 2020 22:32
Setting aside the fact that the lino was clearly in possession of bung from the home team. The team performance was so much better than last week. We will play worse and win, but I doubt we will play better and not win.

greasbyrover
greasbyrover
27 September, 2020 01:29
Just seen the highlights on Quest. There is no way that goal was offside.

Durban Super White
Durban Super White
27 September, 2020 07:34
The defender on the far lefts face tells it all. He knew it was a legitimate goal. I think the ref got sold a dummy by the lino. Once that flag goes up its hard to rule against him as the ref would not have had a good angle.

gary anderson
gary anderson
27 September, 2020 07:40
A very good performance and another clean sheet the goal should have stood and we would have deserved all 3 points but once again we suffer from another inept linesman not the first and wont bother last .but we would have took a point after the poor performance last week
So we hope last week was a one off and what we saw yesterday is is more like it .well done lads you did us proud

Viking Tranmere
Crazylegs Cranebird
27 September, 2020 08:05
The 2 linesmen were Joseph Stokes (1st), - from the Kent FA and Damith Bandara (2nd) a School Deputy Head Teacher from NE London.. not a million miles from Cambridge.

[www.facebook.com] 👊👊

Uptonrover
Uptonrover
27 September, 2020 08:43
After watching the replay on quest im even more astounded how that was given as offside. The linesman is even on the same side as the decision!! Didnt put his flag up for 20 secs according to Jacko. And as mentioned above the look on the defenders faces they know its a goal. Linesman needs looking at for that and suspending

Bored rover
Bored rover
27 September, 2020 08:52
Ultimately we are behind Barrow and Harrogate at the moment they have new players and are new to full time football so gelling is not an excuse. We have to become far more clinical in double quick time

Uptonrover
Uptonrover
27 September, 2020 09:06
After yesterdays performance id say lets wait and see. Someones in for a thrashing if we keep that up

Viking Tranmere
Crazylegs Cranebird
27 September, 2020 09:21
I thought at last we clicked - some fabulous passing & interchange movements. After all that doom and gloom the side really has found itself and if it was not for that appalling decision it would be 3pts against the top side. We made them look a very poor 2nd best.
Roll on Scunthorpe.

[www.facebook.com] 👊👊

MoanerLesser
TRSince1968
27 September, 2020 09:36
Quote:
Bored rover
Ultimately we are behind Barrow and Harrogate at the moment they have new players and are new to full time football so gelling is not an excuse. We have to become far more clinical in double quick time

Reads like you didn't watch the game. It was the most enjoyable 0 0 Tranmere game I have seen for a long time. And the passing was the best for a while.. I am sure they will soon be hitting the back of the net regularly. Vaughan was unlucky. Cambridge did not look like a team that had scored 8 in two games but they were defensively sound. They haven't conceded in their three games.

I still would prefer Murphy to Davies, though.

MoanerLesser
TRSince1968
27 September, 2020 09:45
What. No PTAYII comment?

DevonExile
DevonExile
27 September, 2020 12:04
A point only from the game is disappointing but the performance is not and hopefully it will be a springboard. It is also 5 away league games without defeat. If only we could be as secure at home

Bored rover
Bored rover
27 September, 2020 15:54
Quote:
TRSince1968
Quote:
Bored rover

Reads like you didn't watch the game. It was the most enjoyable 0 0 Tranmere game I have seen for a long time. And the passing was the best for a while.. I am sure they will soon be hitting the back of the net regularly. Vaughan was unlucky. Cambridge did not look like a team that had scored 8 in two games but they were defensively sound. They haven't conceded in their three games.

I still would prefer Murphy to Davies, though.

I did watch we were great going forwards but no one who looks like they will score. If we had Muir/Aldo and Steel in that side yesterday 8-0.

I look at our strikers and just winder where goals are coming from:

Vaughan searching for 100th career goal at 32, started at 16 so 6 goals a year

Ferrier 43 goals in 8 years 5 a year

Payne 100 goals in 11 years 9 goals a season

Feeney 46 in 15 years 3 goals a year

Khan 24 goals in 7 years 4 goals a year

Much as MP may not wish to we have to go out and bag 2 strikers One capable of consistently bagging 20 goals plus a season and another who can chip in with 10-15 because with these lads we are going to find it really difficult to score heavily.

Of who we have Payne is clearly the most prolific and I believe he's shown that in his time here but he's out if favour it would seem, must start the next game for me in place of Vaughan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/09/2020 15:58 by Bored rover.

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13
27 September, 2020 16:28
good luck finding the 20 goals a season man at this level.

truth is, you don't need a 20 goal a season man at this level

lincoln won the league with a top scorer who bagged 15.

last year neither crewe plymouth or northampton had a player who scored more than a goal every other game. all were promoted.

we have feeney, ferrier, vaughan, khan, woolery, morris, cbt, payne and banks who are all capable of scoring.

we have technique, creativity, pace, width and power across midfield and attack.

we just need it to click now.

Bored rover
Bored rover
27 September, 2020 16:35
Quote:
mrGr33n13
good luck finding the 20 goals a season man at this level.
truth is, you don't need a 20 goal a season man at this level

lincoln won the league with a top scorer who bagged 15.

last year neither crewe plymouth or northampton had a player who scored more than a goal every other game. all were promoted.

we have feeney, ferrier, vaughan, khan, woolery, morris, cbt, payne and banks who are all capable of scoring.

we have technique, creativity, pace, width and power across midfield and attack.

we just need it to click now.

We don’t have a 15 goal man though do we, possibly Payne. There are 20 goal men out their you just have to pay them. Perhaps less forwards of higher quality equals same budget.

We will do decent this season but cant see a promotion. As I've said before we will be hard to beat but easy not to loose to. (Unless the goals do come)

Bored rover
Bored rover
27 September, 2020 16:40
I would like to see a couple if the kids get a run watching City Peps just brought a 17 yo on at 1-1 and has done it in the past, if its good enough for City?

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13
27 September, 2020 17:00
yeah, i think we should emulate city.

three step plan:

1 buy a proven 20 goals a season striker

2 buy a 15 goals a season striker to support

3 emulate man city

just hope managers of the other 23 clubs aren't reading this forum

Shaumbra
Shaumbra
27 September, 2020 17:04
does anyone know who our number 19 was today? watching the highlights i think it was 19
he looked good on the ball and hit the bar in the second half
very comfortble on the ball and very positive going forward

MESSAGES->author
Matt34
27 September, 2020 17:05
Quote:
Bored rover
We don’t have a 15 goal man though do we, possibly Payne.

Possibly Vaughan, as he scored 11 for Bradford prior to his loan and had he been not denied a rightful effort, he would be off the mark and 1 goal every 3 league games equals 15 a season.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Bored rover
Bored rover
27 September, 2020 17:41
Quote:
mrGr33n13

three step plan:

3 emulate man city

I think the pubs are open til 10 theres no opinions in their as ling as you find one thats suits your view you'll be fine

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13
27 September, 2020 18:04
Quote:
Bored rover
Quote:
mrGr33n13

three step plan:

3 emulate man city

I think the pubs are open til 10 theres no opinions in their as ling as you find one thats suits your view you'll be fine

sorry mate, do not understand what you are trying to say there.

ferrier, vaughan, payne, cbt are all capable of 15 goals

i'd say that any one of woolery, khan, morris and feeney are capable of double figures.

we can control games, even away from home and look solid defensively

and we are only three games in.

if we get to 15 games and we've scored 6 goals i'll start to worry. but as it stands i think we are well placed with ferrier and cbt to come back to the side.

they change our team completely as they have pace and can beat defender 1 v 1

judging us without either of them is premature imo

Uptonrover
Uptonrover
27 September, 2020 18:39
20 goal strikers dont come cheap either and in the current climate there aint no way M&N will be splashing any cash

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net