Latest news:

"fans will not be allowed back from next month and pilot events will be paused"
Discussion started by Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged), 21 September, 2020 22:14
Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
21 September, 2020 22:14
So the BBC understands: [www.bbc.co.uk]

I know it's better than nothing but watching footy in an empty stadium on a computer is rubbish.

kennyspint
kennyspint
21 September, 2020 22:33
+1

greasbyrover
greasbyrover
21 September, 2020 23:20
I totally agree Aldo. I'm not sure this will be the end of the measures either. It wouldn't surprise me if they stopped matches full stop, like they did back in March.

bedfordave
bedfordave
22 September, 2020 07:50
Fact is half the nation demand complete shutdown and the other half want to get on with life. Now we are tightening again after a clear rise in cases, there is no way regardless of merit anything new will be allowed.
Sparsely occupied PP in open air is safer than most pubs. France is well ahead of us with infections with no end in sight, they have crowds but won't expand on them. Be November now at the earliest, probably next year, those balance sheets must be capsizing.

Uptonrover
Uptonrover
22 September, 2020 08:03
Im a very cautious person with regards the virus but id rather sit in a distanced PP then say a cinema or a pub.

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost
22 September, 2020 08:13
They are right to pause things. I'm neither an overly cautious shut yourself away person, nor a it's just a flu get on with life one - sorry bedford. Being safe and sensible and carrying on as normally as possible is the way to go. I understand the pubs vs sport argument, but hundreds of thousands of people work in the hospitality sector and far fewer in the pro sport one. And its not as if pubs are not working under restrictions, or they should be anyway. If something has to give, then its clear that it should not be pubs as far as I am concerned. As frustrating as that might be.

DevonExile
DevonExile
22 September, 2020 11:33
Just watchded Nicola Palios interview on BBC . There was no criticism of the proposal to drop plans about opening grounds but instead her emphasis was on the need for a rescue package. I doubt that there is much hope of government providing any sort of rescue plan. Instead it may encourage the premier league to fill the cash void. I would not pin much faith on a worthwhile response from that source.
It is absolutely true that watching a game on i-follow is a poor substitute for the real thing but there is a wider consideration. If every supporter signed in for home games it provides a cash flow for clubs that might just help a club to survive. In many households there will be multiple viewers so it is very good value.
If help is not forthcoming it may well be necessary for small clubs to launch some form of weekly pledge scheme.

bedfordave
bedfordave
22 September, 2020 12:45
Quote:
DevonExile
Just watchded Nicola Palios interview on BBC . There was no criticism of the proposal to drop plans about opening grounds but instead her emphasis was on the need for a rescue package. I doubt that there is much hope of government providing any sort of rescue plan. Instead it may encourage the premier league to fill the cash void. I would not pin much faith on a worthwhile response from that source.
It is absolutely true that watching a game on i-follow is a poor substitute for the real thing but there is a wider consideration. If every supporter signed in for home games it provides a cash flow for clubs that might just help a club to survive. In many households there will be multiple viewers so it is very good value.
If help is not forthcoming it may well be necessary for small clubs to launch some form of weekly pledge scheme.

Spot on it is the only viable income. It maybe a poor second but a lot better than third. Please report to R Parry's office and replace him. I suspect a group of clubs will co-operate and refuse to fulfill any more fixtures soon, bringing the season down.

greasbyrover
greasbyrover
22 September, 2020 13:44
I didn't see the interview with Nicola. I think I read on here somewhere that we had enough cash to see us through to the New Year. I'm worried that despite us being well run financially, we could be in trouble if this carries on for too long.

dicko111
dicko111
22 September, 2020 14:06
See Leyton Orients game called off tonight with up to 18 players and staff affected .Was supposed to be on Sky sports and were getting £150/- but now nothing and they are £2.5m in debt .It was suggested that THFC might help them out

greasbyrover
greasbyrover
22 September, 2020 14:39
What is the arrangement for the tests being carried out by the EFL clubs? I'm assuming all players and coaching staff need to be tested every day leading up to a match. Are the clubs footing the bill for this?

Uptonrover
Uptonrover
22 September, 2020 15:26
Clubs couldnt possibly afford doing all that stuff with no income?? Sure ive heard that somewhere

bedfordave
bedfordave
22 September, 2020 15:41
Quote:
Uptonrover
Clubs couldnt possibly afford doing all that stuff with no income?? Sure ive heard that somewhere

Now they are doing it and almost certainly for longer, having employed new players. I have no idea how these notoriously dodgy businesses last with no income. Did they all take 500k govt backed loans?
Stockport are paying Jenno top dollar with no end in sight, if I was MP I might have played just what we had and kids. If the season ends it won't be with 24 teams. Maybe I am wrong but it doesn't make sense

Bored rover
Bored rover
22 September, 2020 18:06
Quote:
greasbyrover
I didn't see the interview with Nicola. I think I read on here somewhere that we had enough cash to see us through to the New Year. I'm worried that despite us being well run financially, we could be in trouble if this carries on for too long.

Yeah I seem to remember MP saying we were good til December behind closed doors. Im not sure how the season ticket thing has affected that and ifollow. Im guessing a thousand tenners on that isn't a million miles different to 4 or 5 thousand through the gates given that we dont have to pay stewards and all the other ancillaries. No chance of a rescue package sunak still wants to wrap up Furlough and ultimately sport is the last priority for govt.

I have always questioned the decision to start this season perhaps the EFL should have just scrapped this year maybe only gone ahed with the EPL. I can see all kinds of PPG issues again before Christmas. Not to mention all kinds of winding up orders in the new year.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/09/2020 18:07 by Bored rover.

greasbyrover
greasbyrover
22 September, 2020 18:24
I think if the clubs knew then, that no fans would be allowed for the foreseeable future, then they may have voted not to start the season at all, and basically clubs could have been moth balled until next season. They are now stuck between a rock and a hard place, with contractual obligations to players and no sign of any significant income. Not sure what the viewing figures are for i-follow, or what percentage of that income the clubs actually receive. Maybe I've missed it, but we could do with an update from MP. If there is worrying news, then I'm sure he won't sugar coat it.

pc1968
pc1968
22 September, 2020 18:59
I think I read a while back that mp said we could just about survive this season with no fans through the turnstiles as an absolute worst case ....with a very strong emphasis on just
The situation is very concerning for all small clubs
I would say we are better run than most with 2 very intelligent people in charge who have the best interests of the club at heart
As regards the premier league helping don’t hold your breath ... they appear to be carrying on regardless spending tens of millions of pounds on transfer fees and wages ....yes they will be hit to a degree by the lack of fans but that’s not their main source of income ...whilst the tv money and merchandising money keeps rolling in there just isn’t the serious issue that the smaller clubs are now trying to deal with
It hit home to me when a club had debts which were sufficient to close them down but were a weeks wages to Gareth bale ...
The usual comment of if your boss offered you an unbelievably high salary would you turn it down is of course valid
The gap between the rich and poor in football was massive before corona virus but it just seems to be getting even bigger
Hopefully things will get back to normal before too long and we don’t end up with an elite group of clubs with associated costs beyond the pocket of the ordinary working person

EgoEgoEgo
EgoEgoEgo
22 September, 2020 19:42
Quote:
pc1968
I think I read a while back that mp said we could just about survive this season with no fans through the turnstiles as an absolute worst case ....with a very strong emphasis on just
The situation is very concerning for all small clubs
I would say we are better run than most with 2 very intelligent people in charge who have the best interests of the club at heart
As regards the premier league helping don’t hold your breath ... they appear to be carrying on regardless spending tens of millions of pounds on transfer fees and wages ....yes they will be hit to a degree by the lack of fans but that’s not their main source of income ...whilst the tv money and merchandising money keeps rolling in there just isn’t the serious issue that the smaller clubs are now trying to deal with
It hit home to me when a club had debts which were sufficient to close them down but were a weeks wages to Gareth bale ...
The usual comment of if your boss offered you an unbelievably high salary would you turn it down is of course valid
The gap between the rich and poor in football was massive before corona virus but it just seems to be getting even bigger
Hopefully things will get back to normal before too long and we don’t end up with an elite group of clubs with associated costs beyond the pocket of the ordinary working person

+1

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost
22 September, 2020 19:43
Quote:
Bored rover
Quote:
greasbyrover
I didn't see the interview with Nicola. I think I read on here somewhere that we had enough cash to see us through to the New Year. I'm worried that despite us being well run financially, we could be in trouble if this carries on for too long.

Yeah I seem to remember MP saying we were good til December behind closed doors. Im not sure how the season ticket thing has affected that and ifollow. Im guessing a thousand tenners on that isn't a million miles different to 4 or 5 thousand through the gates given that we dont have to pay stewards and all the other ancillaries. No chance of a rescue package sunak still wants to wrap up Furlough and ultimately sport is the last priority for govt.

I have always questioned the decision to start this season perhaps the EFL should have just scrapped this year maybe only gone ahed with the EPL. I can see all kinds of PPG issues again before Christmas. Not to mention all kinds of winding up orders in the new year.

I think you'll find that many people in the performing arts think anything but the bold and that sport has been massively prioritised over theatre, music, comedy venues and the like. And frankly they probably have a point.

Bored rover
Bored rover
22 September, 2020 20:03
Quote:
Doogie'sGhost
Quote:
Bored rover
Quote:
greasbyrover
I didn't see the interview with Nicola. I think I read on here somewhere that we had enough cash to see us through to the New Year. I'm worried that despite us being well run financially, we could be in trouble if this carries on for too long.

Yeah I seem to remember MP saying we were good til December behind closed doors. Im not sure how the season ticket thing has affected that and ifollow. Im guessing a thousand tenners on that isn't a million miles different to 4 or 5 thousand through the gates given that we dont have to pay stewards and all the other ancillaries. No chance of a rescue package sunak still wants to wrap up Furlough and ultimately sport is the last priority for govt.

I have always questioned the decision to start this season perhaps the EFL should have just scrapped this year maybe only gone ahed with the EPL. I can see all kinds of PPG issues again before Christmas. Not to mention all kinds of winding up orders in the new year.

I think you'll find that many people in the performing arts think anything but the bold and that sport has been massively prioritised over theatre, music, comedy venues and the like. And frankly they probably have a point.

Or

Whats the business of a sport for example football, one team v another for a points reward in a league and a final winner.

Does the sport need fans to take place and full fill its function? No

Whats the business of theatre? To entertain an audience, little point in the play going ahead with no audience is their. And as for the business of broadcasting it , well they already do, its called Telly!

Nicko1234
Nicko1234
22 September, 2020 22:44
I feel for the owners as they must be wondering whether they did the right thing by investing so much in the playing staff over the summer.

dnors
dnors
23 September, 2020 07:02
I've said it a hundred times before, we're going to end up in a situation where the league can safely start properly at roughly the time it curtailed last year. Never should have cancelled last season, should've kept it rolling.

greasbyrover
greasbyrover
23 September, 2020 14:51


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net