Latest news:

Hat's off to Jacko
Discussion started by Crazylegs Cranebird (IP Logged), 13 September, 2020 08:10
Viking Tranmere
Crazylegs Cranebird
13 September, 2020 08:10
For his clever tactical switch 2nd half which saw us contain a dangerous Mansfield side.

That back 5 formation with Rides and O'Connor as wingbacks worked. I hope we employ it against Cheltenham next week.

Ellis was superb when he came on again and was onto that save by Davies in the end like a flash.

TRFC is #8 on Wirral's new Viking Trail
[www.facebook.com] ๐Ÿ‘Š๐Ÿ‘Š

the kav
the kav
13 September, 2020 08:19
Cheltenham are my dark horses for the title so next week will be a big test for us

Viking Tranmere
Crazylegs Cranebird
13 September, 2020 11:13
Quote:
the kav
Cheltenham are my dark horses for the title so next week will be a big test for us

Morecambe beat them yesterday so they should hopefully be on a downer

MESSAGES->author
Matt34
13 September, 2020 15:10
Quote:
Crazylegs Cranebird
they should hopefully be on a downer

Well they will be easier to beat if their first 11 fail a p!ss test and get banned. I'm fairly certain downers are on a banned substance list (Sm7)

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Bored rover
Bored rover
15 September, 2020 06:18
Well so far so good for me, 3 competitive 90 mins played 2 away one home lost none (ignoring penalties obvs) goal difference zero and some promising signings. I like the way hes making signings of quality players he thinks will add something not just players hes worked with before or stacking the decks as seemed to be the MM way.

prentonpete1
prentonpete1
15 September, 2020 13:59
Agreed, the Cook scenario on Mansfield website he said he was glad to be back at Mansfield so he won't be coming here we still need a target man in my opinion but maybe Jackson wants to play a different way.

DevonExile
DevonExile
15 September, 2020 16:31
Not sure about keeping to a formation that resulted in only one shot on target..
Mansfieldl have not been scoring and we will drop more points than we gain without more creativity

gary anderson
gary anderson
15 September, 2020 18:29
Well I think he is doing a decent job so far .made some decent signings and we look decent at the back .its early days but he started ok in my book .let's get behind him guys think he might just prove a few doubters wrong

the kav
the kav
15 September, 2020 19:03
Quote:
prentonpete1
Agreed, the Cook scenario on Mansfield website he said he was glad to be back at Mansfield so he won't be coming here we still need a target man in my opinion but maybe Jackson wants to play a different way.

Tbh you would say that.....

MoanerLesser
TRSince1968
15 September, 2020 21:03
Quote:
DevonExile
Not sure about keeping to a formation that resulted in only one shot on target..
Mansfieldl have not been scoring and we will drop more points than we gain without more creativity

One game!

Bored rover
Bored rover
15 September, 2020 21:50
Quote:
DevonExile

I am, its a priority to get safe early once safe we can play a little more expansively with no pressure last thing you want in this league is to get dragged into a relegation battle and with the quality of the division all teams are capable of being dragged down to NL as we've once found out

kennyspint
kennyspint
15 September, 2020 23:25
Quote:
Bored rover
Quote:
DevonExile

I am, its a priority to get safe early once safe we can play a little more expansively with no pressure last thing you want in this league is to get dragged into a relegation battle and with the quality of the division all teams are capable of being dragged down to NL as we've once found out
Sad but true. We all enjoyed our journey from the National League but I'm not sure we need to do it again

MoanerLesser
TRSince1968
16 September, 2020 09:28
Quote:
kennyspint
Quote:
Bored rover
Quote:
DevonExile

I am, its a priority to get safe early once safe we can play a little more expansively with no pressure last thing you want in this league is to get dragged in
to a relegation battle and with the quality of the division all teams are capable of being dragged down to NL as we've once found out
Sad but true. We all enjoyed our journey from the National League but I'm not sure we need to do it again

The irony is that League 2 has many ex-NL teams. And the NL has a number of ex-league 2...

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
16 September, 2020 10:12
It would be quite some achievement for a well-run club with supposedly the best owners in the league, and a squad crammed with promotion winners and players who've done it at a higher level, to be relegated from L2.

Probably unprecedented.

DevonExile
DevonExile
16 September, 2020 20:59
There is little chance of us being relegated but it has not just been the Mansfield game in which we have not created chances, The same has been so in all pre season and cup games. In my view we are set up as if we are j dear dogs rather than looking for a maximum return.It is early days but you look for signa of the managers mind set. Thus far caution rather than flair seems the order of the day

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
17 September, 2020 01:56
Quote:
DevonExile
There is little chance of us being relegated but it has not just been the Mansfield game in which we have not created chances, The same has been so in all pre season and cup games. In my view we are set up as if we are j dear dogs rather than looking for a maximum return.It is early days but you look for signa of the managers mind set. Thus far caution rather than flair seems the order of the day

The manager hasn't completed his recruitment for attacking areas and was also without two of his biggest attacking threats through injury. His mindset against Mansfield was therefore pragmatism.

It's way too early to draw conclusions on his footballing philosophy but, if you do, at least take into account the facts and circumstances so far.

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13
17 September, 2020 08:16
Let's not forget Mellon was avowedly anti philosophy, and his ability to adapt across a season and within a game was arguably his greatest trait.

Early signs are Jackson has learned from his mentor.

The change to 3 centre backs was very thematic when you consider Mellon was quick to share any praise he received with jackson

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
17 September, 2020 11:13
I'd regard adaptability as being Mellon's philosophy, though I think we're basically saying the same thing.

Add Feeney, Woolery, Ferrier and CBT to the squad for Mansfield and I reckon Jacko would've approached the game differently. All conjecture of course. But with the squad now looking complete we'll get a better idea in the next few weeks how attack-minded he wants to be.

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13
17 September, 2020 12:45
CBT Vaughan and ferrier are a frightening front three at this level.

Nasty, fast, experienced and unpredictable across the three.

Woolery, khan and Feeney are very creative attacking midfielders.

I agree, we should definitely give Jackson more than one league game, just to be sure...

DevonExile
DevonExile
17 September, 2020 19:58
Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy
Quote:
DevonExile

The manager hasn't completed his recruitment for attacking areas and was also without two of his biggest attacking threats through injury. His mindset against Mansfield was therefore pragmatism.

It's way too early to draw conclusions on his footballing philosophy but, if you do, at least take into account the facts and circumstances so far.
Aldo , I was not drawing a conclusion and said it was early days yet. The approach thus far has been cautious ,whatever the reasons, even in friendlies with nothing at stake. The two signings since Saturday could well provide the creativity missing thus far.

Viking Tranmere
Crazylegs Cranebird
18 September, 2020 10:22
With Feeney and Woollery to reinforce our midfield and forwards ahead of our superb backline I am really looking forward to tomorrow and the next games.

TRFC is #8 on Wirral's new Viking Trail
[www.facebook.com] ๐Ÿ‘Š๐Ÿ‘Š

MoanerLesser
TRSince1968
18 September, 2020 11:33
Quote:
Crazylegs Cranebird
With Feeney and Woollery to reinforce our midfield and forwards ahead of our superb backline I am really looking forward to tomorrow and the next games.

They are unlikely to feature due to lack of match fitness. I suspect we all will have to wait for a few games ...

Shaumbra
Shaumbra
19 September, 2020 10:12
Quote:
mrGr33n13
CBT Vaughan and ferrier are a frightening front three at this level.
Nasty, fast, experienced and unpredictable across the three.

Woolery, khan and Feeney are very creative attacking midfielders.

I agree, we should definitely give Jackson more than one league game, just to be sure...

Its looking good and well said Mr G(Sm152)

โ€œPhysical reality is actually a mirror: Your physical reality is just a reflection of what you most strongly believe to be true. And like a mirror, physical reality will not change unless you change firstโ€

Muir the merrier
Muir the merrier
19 September, 2020 10:35
We certainly now look a decent outfit on paper when fully fit but football isn't played on paper.
We need to ensure the effort and commitment on the field of play matches it and the added quality starts to shine thru.
Well done to Jacko on his recruitment.

pez
pez
19 September, 2020 17:00
Quote:
Muir the merrier
We certainly now look a decent outfit on paper when fully fit but football isn't played on paper.
We need to ensure the effort and commitment on the field of play matches it and the added quality starts to shine thru.
Well done to Jacko on his recruitment.

Spearing looks absolutely shocking, Khan too.

That formation is not going to work.

I honestly think we're going to get @#$%& raped this season if we continue with this stupid lone striker tactic.

pez
pez
19 September, 2020 17:08
P45 to Jacki!

Been given more backing than any manager in recent history, and produced absolute dogshit!

Obviously we all make mistakes, hence pencils come with rubbers attached.

greasbyrover
greasbyrover
19 September, 2020 18:24
Out of two cups, one goal from 4 games, one point out of 6. On the good news front, if the season gets curtailed right now, we are safe from relegation on PPG!

Bored rover
Bored rover
19 September, 2020 19:33
Quote:
greasbyrover
Out of two cups, one goal from 4 games, one point out of 6. On the good news front, if the season gets curtailed right now, we are safe from relegation on PPG!

Unless they use weighted

Viking Tranmere
Crazylegs Cranebird
19 September, 2020 20:03
Quote:
greasbyrover

We are not out of the EFL Trophy just yet!....
but will be if we produce shocking performances like today.

Already it looks that this season is going to be one of survival. Lewis, Khan, Spearing, MacDonald, O'Connor are all looking lightweight and too easily bullied for this division which as we learnt from 2014-15 takes no prisoners.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net