Latest news:

Analysis of the Parry era
Discussion started by ptay II (IP Logged), 12 August, 2020 19:54
ptay II
ptay II
12 August, 2020 19:54
Hi, I think it was Tony Blair who said that Gordon Brown was a better prime minister than people realised and not as good a chancellor as people thought and I've been doing some research into the Les Parry era and wonder if he was perhaps a better manager than people realised and not as good a physio as people thought.

My reason being that I remember some great wins when he was gaffer including the 3-0 at home to Sheff Wed and also the 4-1 away at Walsall, and also of course the wins against Millwall and Stockport when we stayed up, but I also remember the endless tales of him serving up the players with microwaveable pasta and chicken on the way home from matches when he was physio/nutritionist.

As microwaveable food is generally thought to be unhealthy, was this wise? And did it undermine the mangers he worked under? I know obviously his managerial reign ended badly but we did have some good times including the wins mentioned above. There were also good signings like Akins and Weir and Nick Wood.

It seems as well, after he left us, Man United only employed him as someone to go and check on the players they loaned out so I don't even know how important his role there is/was, nor what he's up to now. Is he still even at Man United?

It would be interesting to get other people's thoughts on this.

Thanks.

gloucester white
gloucester white
12 August, 2020 20:44
I'm not sure if Les is still at United or not. He's a genuinely nice guy who did well to keep us up after the Barnes fiasco. I don't recall that era with any fondness though. We were going nowhere basically, heading for a fall which apart from one spectacular season under Ronnie in 2012/2013, we ultimately did - all the way down and out.

stek26
stek26
12 August, 2020 22:20
He’s the academy loan manager at United or something. I seen him on the the tele going to Sheffield United to check on Dean Henderson and speak with Wilder. I believe he finds the club best suited to the player then checks on their performance and to see if they are happy.

As for his time here, I believe what he achieved was underrated & understated.

Kept us up in LEAGUE 1 after taking over from Barnes-memorable Stockport game last day, then kept us up again in his first full season quite comfortably if I remember right. All while the club as a whole, was in a less stable position than it is now.

Got sacked for a run of poor results but I don’t think we were in the relegation places (may be wrong) and Ronnie come in and done a fantastic job to keep us up again.

For having no experience as a manager, that is some achievement. And I say it again in LEAGUE 1! Even Mickey struggles to keep teams in L1!

Some big clubs in the league back then, many to go on and grace the Prem.

davep63
davep63
13 August, 2020 12:51
Remember our song who needs murinio weve got our physio SWA

MESSAGES->author
Matt34
13 August, 2020 20:24
Parry was stubborn. He wouldn't go 4-4-2, even though he tried it for 3 games once and got 4 points from 3 games and a goal difference of 0, I seem to recall, then stopped saying it gives the opposition an extra couple of chances.

However it's all about how many more you get and how you cope with their extra couple of chances. He even said a 1-1 in those 3 games against Charlton could have been a win and he thought they could have nicked it. If so Tranmere's points would have been 6 from 3 and a goal difference of 1.

Considering the 3 games yielded better goal difference and points then any run of 3 games under Barnes, Parry should have been more gutsy and kept using 4-4-2, as it looked a bit painful when a guy like Marvin Sordell came in for about 8 games and bagged a goal playing upfront on his jack, then literally a few months later played for Charlton in the Championship and scored for fun.

Parry's stubborness destroyed him. Tranmere were above the drop but only by 1 point. Even in his last 2 games he didn't change anything, but credit him for being in the playoffs for a while with the meanest defense in all 4 leagues bar Man United, but he couldn't stimulate the scoring enough and when the defense became less watertight Tranmere paid the price for the underwhelming goal tallies.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

mill park white
mill park white
13 August, 2020 22:08
Quote:
ptay II
Hi, I think it was Tony Blair who said that Gordon Brown was a better prime minister than people realised and not as good a chancellor as people thought and I've been doing some research into the Les Parry era and wonder if he was perhaps a better manager than people realised and not as good a physio as people thought.
My reason being that I remember some great wins when he was gaffer including the 3-0 at home to Sheff Wed and also the 4-1 away at Walsall, and also of course the wins against Millwall and Stockport when we stayed up, but I also remember the endless tales of him serving up the players with microwaveable pasta and chicken on the way home from matches when he was physio/nutritionist.

As microwaveable food is generally thought to be unhealthy, was this wise? And did it undermine the mangers he worked under? I know obviously his managerial reign ended badly but we did have some good times including the wins mentioned above. There were also good signings like Akins and Weir and Nick Wood.

It seems as well, after he left us, Man United only employed him as someone to go and check on the players they loaned out so I don't even know how important his role there is/was, nor what he's up to now. Is he still even at Man United?

It would be interesting to get other people's thoughts on this.

Thanks.

Good post Baldy. Les inherited a decent squad, and did a pretty good job. Will always be remembered affectionately, but was ultimately found out as a competent technical manager.

kennyspint
kennyspint
13 August, 2020 22:57
I remember the feeling of relief when Barnes left and the feeling OK thats brilliant when Les was appointed. He did the best he could with the squad I think. For example playing Craig Curran who was a striker as a defensive right mid in 433 definitely made us harder to beat

Nicko1234
Nicko1234
14 August, 2020 07:52
Les inherited a real mixed bag of a squad as while we had the likes of Goodison and ITM, we also had several players who couldn't really play at that level anymore. With Mahon, Ricketts, Shuker, Savage etc. on the books, he did well to keep us up in that first season.

The second season wasn't pretty by any means, but it was another creditable performance in the league. Especially with ITM putting in a transfer request and with the budget being so limited.

We had a terrible run in his third season and it was right that he left when he did. We were still in a higher position than when he took over though, and he deserves credit that we weren't relegated in any of those years.

As he also balanced the books by selling Cresswell and Jennings, I would say that he did a good job on the whole. It's just a shame that a new owner wasn't found until we had started to descend down the leagues.

gary anderson
gary anderson
14 August, 2020 11:02
He did the best he could but his lack of tactical knowhow and no experience told in the end .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net