Discussion started by Tranmere2003 (IP Logged), 11 August, 2020 16:20
Tranmere2003
Tranmere2003
11 August, 2020 16:20
Was spotted today at the campus

This is @#$%&
This is sh1t
11 August, 2020 16:56
Was a great keeper until he injured his shoulder, was never the same again after that.
Think ex keepers make good trainers, think it’s one of the few positions where ex players are the main trainer.

DevonExile
DevonExile
11 August, 2020 18:06
He was Bury's player of the year a couple of years ago and a fixture in the promotion year. Would give a very good option in terms of having experience on the bench

Bored rover
Bored rover
11 August, 2020 18:46
No thanks

gainsparkshrew
gainsparkshrew
11 August, 2020 19:29
Spent last season with us and played a few games in both the league and F.A Cup. Did well in the two Cup games against Bristol City, as our first choice keeper was on loan from that club. Made a few mistakes in the league games.

Good back up keeper. Do you have a goalkeeping coach? Sure that he would do well in that role if he has his badges

stek26
stek26
11 August, 2020 20:08
Back up keeper combined with goalkeeping coach, I’d be happy with that.

Let’s face it, back up keepers don’t play much, and we could save money.

Loyden1
Loyden1
11 August, 2020 22:19
Cant forget league cup final achteberg should of played his height would of made the difference. Only my opinion

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
11 August, 2020 22:34
Quote:
Loyden1
Cant forget league cup final achteberg should of played his height would of made the difference. Only my opinion

Same here, every time I hear of Joe this is still the first thing that comes to mind. Nothing against him and he's a decent keeper but it was very harsh to leave Achto out of the final. Like you say, his height would've probably made the difference on the goals.

Loved Aldo as a manager but he got this one wrong imo.

jim rockford
jim rockford
11 August, 2020 22:49
It makes sense will be on the bench more than play will also be coach lives locally and the most important thing fits the home grown player criteria with one having to be on the bench.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34
11 August, 2020 22:53
Calling players home grown. It makes them sound like a tomato plant cultivated in a grow bag.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Viking Tranmere
Crazylegs Cranebird
12 August, 2020 10:15
Quote:
gainsparkshrew
Spent last season with us and played a few games in both the league and F.A Cup. Did well in the two Cup games against Bristol City, as our first choice keeper was on loan from that club. Made a few mistakes in the league games.
Good back up keeper. Do you have a goalkeeping coach? Sure that he would do well in that role if he has his badges

I don't think this is the right time to come on our board mate, not what after your @#$%& of a Chairman did.
Shrewsbury Town can rot in hell as far as I'm concerned.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2020 10:17 by Crazylegs Cranebird.

Viking Tranmere
Crazylegs Cranebird
12 August, 2020 10:21
Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy
Quote:
Loyden1

Same here, every time I hear of Joe this is still the first thing that comes to mind. Nothing against him and he's a decent keeper but it was very harsh to leave Achto out of the final. Like you say, his height would've probably made the difference on the goals.

Agreed 100%. Especially that 2nd goal. We could have won that if it wasnt for the fact that Leicester had almost a 2 week break before that game whilst we were playing Newcastle in that cup tie, followed by Wolves away in the week (& with Chally carrying that injury).

Marlow!'s foot
Marlow!'s foot
12 August, 2020 10:59
What a great day out that was. To win would have been the icing on the cake but at least it put us on the map. Two things really @#$%& me off, Heskey tripping over his own feet to get Clint sent off and bonehead Elliot getting the headline for the second goal when it hit the bar and rebounded in off Murphy's hand. Petty I know.

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost
12 August, 2020 11:18
Quote:
Crazylegs Cranebird
Quote:
gainsparkshrew

I don't think this is the right time to come on our board mate, not what after your @#$%& of a Chairman did.
Wind it in. He was raised on the Woodie and used to watch Rovers before moving. As for what their chairman did, he did what virtually every chairman did and exactly what our would have done. The fault and blame does not lie with the clubs or their chairmen (or women), it lies with the EFL.

gainsparkshrew
gainsparkshrew
12 August, 2020 12:29
Quote:
Doogie'sGhost
Quote:
Crazylegs Cranebird
Quote:
gainsparkshrew

Wind it in. He was raised on the Woodie and used to watch Rovers before moving. As for what their chairman did, he did what virtually every chairman did and exactly what our would have done. The fault and blame does not lie with the clubs or their chairmen (or women), it lies with the EFL.

Thanks for your supportive post Doogie, I don't particularly want to bring the "Shrewsbury" thread back to the top of the board but perhaps if Crazylegs reads it again he will understand a little more. TBF i need to start a thread about Birkenhead in the 60-70's and reply to those who replied about RFHS.

One good point that Crazylegs did make was about the tackle that Alf Wood made on George Yardley at a night match at The Gay Meadow back in the late 60's that basically finished Yardleys career. I was too young to go to that match, as a TRFC supporter, but we Shrews fans debated Alf Wood on our board about a year or so back,just after Wood died.

Several town fans remembered that tackle, one describing it as the worst act of thuggery that he had ever seen on a football pitch. Apparently Wood only got booked, several commented that he should have been sent off and banned for the whole season. In this day and age I'm sure that Yardley would have sued Wood for loss of earnings etc etc, and by what I read he should have done

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost
12 August, 2020 14:25
Absolutely no problem. Shrewsbury is one my favourite places to visit for a cheeky night away. I've spent many happy hours at The Boathouse by the side of the river. Too young to see Yardley but for there to be the almost universal condemnation of the challenge that I have seen it must have been really bad. In many ways I miss the physicality of football as it used to be in the sanitised PL era, but the ability to injure an opponent with intent and get away with it is one thing that has definitely improved.

Kennel
Kennel
12 August, 2020 15:37
Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy
Quote:
Loyden1

There were lots of Acho,s fans at Wembly all bitterly disappointed.....yes Aldo got that wrong,unless he was injured.

Loyden1
Loyden1
12 August, 2020 17:10
Quote:
Crazylegs Cranebird
Quote:
gainsparkshrew

crazy dont be 2crazy hes from wirral .like me ex rfhigh.i was at the game that alf wood did yardley and remember the team coach stopping at a pub chester high rd .i was 2young to go in pub so outside i asked how george was and the driver said he could be finished. Shrewsbury insisted we played that nite even tho we had evton cup game on the sat.we had asked for it to be moved

DevonExile
DevonExile
12 August, 2020 18:34
I cannot belief the vitriol that underlies Crazy's response. Yardleys treatment was a abysmal but that does not define a club for ever and a day or justify hostility to a guest poster making balanced and objective comments. This clinging on to historical events to define reactions to others was the fuelling that sustained secterianissm in Northern Island and is rooted in so much division in the rest of the world.
Crazy is entitled to his opinion but that his observations and reactions are just extreme triabalism . I for one am very glad that it is a minority of the football fraternity that think this way

Viking Tranmere
Crazylegs Cranebird
15 August, 2020 13:48
Quote:
DevonExile
I cannot belief the vitriol that underlies Crazy's response. Yardleys treatment was a abysmal but that does not define a club for ever and a day or justify hostility to a guest poster making balanced and objective comments. This clinging on to historical events to define reactions to others was the fuelling that sustained secterianissm in Northern Island and is rooted in so much division in the rest of the world.
Crazy is entitled to his opinion but that his observations and reactions are just extreme triabalism . I for one am very glad that it is a minority of the football fraternity that think this way

I understand what you say Devon.
However my main comments were directed at the decision by their chairman to vote not to play knowing full well it would unfairly relegate us (and having just beaten them on their own turf).
Poor show!

With regards Yardley, sure it was a long time ago. That does not excuse their disgusting behaviour and not just the player who perpetrated that tackle against our George who had scored 4 against them earlier at PP. A picture of that player adorns their boardroom under their 'hall of fame'. That is so offensive.

That is Shrewsbury Town. Nice club. I hope they enjoy their League One football next season.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/08/2020 13:50 by Crazylegs Cranebird.

Durban Super White
Durban Super White
15 August, 2020 14:29
I agree Devon. These two issues certainly don't make me want to demonize the Shrews. I would not brand someone because of one incident and I think the majority of fans understand the voting habits of those clubs with nothing to play for. Its the EFL putting clubs in the position to have to vote for those options that was problematic.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
15 August, 2020 14:47
Quote:
Durban Super White
Its the EFL putting clubs in the position to have to vote for those options that was problematic.

It was the clubs who shaped the proposals in the first place. The EFL just allowed them too, by letting them decide the so-called "direction of travel". So, by the time it came to finalising what would go on the ballot paper, the outcome was already a done deal. Other clubs are by no means the sweet innocents in all this.

Tom Bombadil
Tom Bombadil
15 August, 2020 15:05
I wonder what that Shrewsbury fans defence for Jim Holton and the Jimmy Hinch episode. I suppose that one was just another historical piece of vitriol or could we have been witnessing the answer from his club to someone who may score a goal against them. Yes some of us do have long memories and if it hadn't been for Ron Yeats that incident may also have gone unpunished.

gainsparkshrew
gainsparkshrew
15 August, 2020 16:32
Quote:
Tom Bombadil
I wonder what that Shrewsbury fans defence for Jim Holton and the Jimmy Hinch episode. I suppose that one was just another historical piece of vitriol or could we have been witnessing the answer from his club to someone who may score a goal against them. Yes some of us do have long memories and if it hadn't been for Ron Yeats that incident may also have gone unpunished.

Bloody hell !..I thought that this was a football forum, not an episode of All our Yesterdays. it was nearly 50 years ago !

Jim Holton and Jimmy Hinch?Just had to check when Holton played for Shrewsbury 1971 + 72. Yep i was a 16 year old Tranmere fan back then !. All I can remember about Hinch was that he was a gangly centre forward that Rovers sold to Plymouth and he lived in a club owned house on the Arrowe Park Estate, just around the corner from Tommy Young's ? (ex Falkirk?) club property and John King,who owned his and lived next door but one to Brian Labone in, I think, Troutbeck Close

I remember one Rovers- Shrewsbury game in that period a 4-0 win for Shrews at PP, end of the season game, poured down with rain all game and Paul Crossley missed a penalty ( very, very rare)

gainsparkshrew
gainsparkshrew
15 August, 2020 17:02
Quote:
Crazylegs Cranebird
Quote:
DevonExile

However my main comments were directed at the decision by their chairman to vote not to play knowing full well it would unfairly relegate us (and having just beaten them on their own turf).
Poor show!

With regards Yardley, sure it was a long time ago. That does not excuse their disgusting behaviour and not just the player who perpetrated that tackle against our George who had scored 4 against them earlier at PP. A picture of that player adorns their boardroom under their 'hall of fame'. That is so offensive.

That is Shrewsbury Town. Nice club. I hope they enjoy their League One football next season.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Found this for you Crazy Legs. From our CEO, Brian Caldwell. Our Chairman, Roland Wycherley-longest serving Chairman in the EFL, is nearly 80 and doesn't get involved in the day to day running of the club.

On behalf of the Chairman, Board of Directors and everyone at Shrewsbury Town FC we hope this letter finds you and your families all well.

We would like to start by thanking you all for your continued support, patience and understanding as several weeks have passed since our last open letter to supporters with very few questions having been answered. However yesterday’s developments provides us with some closure on season 2019/20 and our efforts can now be concentrated on planning for the future so we felt at this stage another open letter would give us a further opportunity to continue our transparency with you all.

Below are several key points that we hope will be a useful update for everyone on the latest EFL information and also an update on other relevant subjects.

EFL Vote

As you will be aware there were two EFL Meetings yesterday, the first one in the morning was for all 71 EFL Clubs to approve the framework which allowed each division to essentially decide on its own fate and the second meeting in the afternoon was for Sky Bet League One Clubs only to vote on the curtailment of the League.

Both resolutions were passed with large majorities. It has been a very difficult time for football like all industries but at last, we have some closure on the 2019/20 season which as we have said throughout we weren’t comfortable resuming for the health of staff and also for financial reasons. During the two weeks prior to these votes, there has been plenty of lobbying by Clubs who disagreed with the resolutions as well as some very vocal clubs even suggesting that the costs of resuming the reason weren’t to the value that has been mentioned. We have no idea how they felt that this was less, as pointed out in our last open letter the costs to complete the season for STFC were very conservative at £500,000. Many Clubs just wanted some closure and to move on and start to make plans for next season 2020/21 and the constant lobbying was becoming frustrating for all Clubs that we have spoken with.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not aware of any picture of Alf Wood hanging in our boardroom, you may be right as I've never been in the hallowed boardroom. You are right that Wood is in the Shrews Hall of Fame, as a goalscorer not a defender. He came second behind Arthur Rowley, all time FL goal scorer and ex player-manager, in a public vote about 10 years ago. BTW I voted for Nigel Pearson as I wouldn't vote for a player I had never seen in a Shrewsbury shirt during my time as a Shrewsbury fan. I probably saw him playing for Shrews against Rovers when I was a lot younger but I can't remember. It also led to my spat with some Shrews fans on B&A after Wood's death,when I mentioned the tackle on George Yardley

kennyspint
kennyspint
16 August, 2020 00:38
TBF,on twitter today to mark his 50th birthday there were two videos of George Santos both of which showed shocking tackles one of which was in TRFC shirt - I saw it from the Kop. I was pretty incensed by the Southport players tackle which ended Lee Vaughan's involvement in our play off campaign but surely we have to move on. Unless its Leeds obviously

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
16 August, 2020 00:53
Getting a bit sick of Shrewsbury fans coming on here spinning the EFL's BS. The clubs set the direction of travel, and when you give enough of them the chance to decide their own promotions playoffs and escapes from relegation battles the eventual outcome is a done deal. So stick your "large majorities" and your exaggerated 500k, we all know the score.

Almost as delusional as when they piled on here telling us Mellon was finished when we started 17/18 slowly. Months later he led us to promotion at Wembley.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
16 August, 2020 01:00
As well as Joe Murphy and Matty Foulds, one of the local reporters reckons we've got a couple more trialists - midfielder Paul Lewis formerly of Macc and Cambridge, and 21 year old midfielder Fraser Preston, formerly of Sheffield Wednesday.

MoanerLesser
TRSince1968
16 August, 2020 09:02
Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy
Getting a bit sick of Shrewsbury fans coming on here spinning the EFL's BS. The clubs set the direction of travel, and when you give enough of them the chance to decide their own promotions playoffs and escapes from relegation battles the eventual outcome is a done deal. So stick your "large majorities" and your exaggerated 500k, we all know the score.
Almost as delusional as when they piled on here telling us Mellon was finished when we started 17/18 slowly. Months later he led us to promotion at Wembley.

I really can't get wound up by the baiting. It's a case of splash, splash, quack, quack, drip, drip for me.

MESSAGES->author
Phil65
16 August, 2020 09:56
Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy

+1
A beyond reproach, lily-white attitude lacks integrity and honesty. So let's cut out the pretence that it was the honourable and only viable option for clubs who'll enjoy their status in League One/Championship, playing behind closed doors (which apparently they can't afford to do, but will swallow this oh so bitter pill and,would you believe it, miraculously survive). Decisions should have been made on the pitch for all and not a select few. Rewarding clubs who supposedly, by their own admission, run a business that would struggle/wouldn't survive a short-term downturn, seems to be in vogue. The football family that I've always extolled the virtues of, masquerading as a stable and empathetic family, is clearly dysfunctional and I'll try not to be so deluded in future.
It's symptomatic of a shambolic, ill-managed organisation that doesn't have predetermined crisis strategies, covering all worst case scenarios, but of course we know the football season has never ended prematurely before!
To make informed decisions, you have to have capacity; sadly, lacking lucidity appears to be too prevalent in the echelons of the football hierarchy.
For those who say we'd have done the same if in the same position, that may be so. However, as much as I love my club, it wouldn't sit comfortably with me; I love honesty, integrity, transparency, fairness, equality even more.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/08/2020 10:18 by Phil65.

EgoEgoEgo
EgoEgoEgo
16 August, 2020 10:38
+1. Well said.

Tranman
Tranman
16 August, 2020 12:20
Quote:
EgoEgoEgo
+1. Well said.

+2, also well said.

Rally the rovers
Rally the rovers
16 August, 2020 14:45
How has this thread descended into a bitter back and forth away from the original topic of Joe Murphy??!!

Embo
Embo
16 August, 2020 17:55
Why are people saying things like 'achto would have saved that header in the final because of his extra height' as though that exact incident would have happened! Unless achto's every single action was identical to murphy's, which i'm sure you'll agree is slightly unlikely lol, then the match would have been completely different in its course, and we'll never know what would have led to what. Always bugs me when people talk such tripe.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
16 August, 2020 18:10
By that argument you'd never knock a manager's selection, ever.

We can ponder quantum mechanics, string theory, parallel universes and wotnot or we can just suggest Aldo was harsh in dropping Achto.

I made that observation before kick off too. Not sure if that opened up even more scientific possibilities as to what would've led to what, but Joe didn't prove me wrong. So I ain't changing my mind now!

Uptonrover
Uptonrover
16 August, 2020 18:44
Murphy was played in that final for one reason - to put him in the shop window. Felt sorry for Achto that day

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/08/2020 18:44 by Uptonrover.

MESSAGES->author
Docker
16 August, 2020 18:59
The Shrew said "Bloody hell !..I thought that this was a football forum, not an episode of All our Yesterdays. it was nearly 50 years ago !" - well, yes I am proud to have been a supporter of Rovers for over 50 years, and without ever wanting to descend into tribal hatred, robbing us of a key player just before a key cup match due to an act of willful violence was not possible to forgive or forget. One thing that impresses me about the forum is the way we do remember the past - not just 25 years ago (as All Our Yesterdays did, actually) - but 50 years or more. So, Shrew, please don't complain if we remember one of the greatest of our players I have watched -
and meanwhile good luck for next season

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/08/2020 19:01 by Docker.

Viking Tranmere
Crazylegs Cranebird
16 August, 2020 22:24
Quote:
gainsparkshrew
Quote:
Crazylegs Cranebird
Quote:
DevonExile

Poor show!

Found this for you Crazy Legs. From our CEO, Brian Caldwell. Our Chairman, Roland Wycherley-longest serving Chairman in the EFL, is nearly 80 and doesn't get involved in the day to day running of the club.

On behalf of the Chairman, Board of Directors and everyone at Shrewsbury Town FC we hope this letter finds you and your families all well.

We would like to start by thanking you all for your continued support, patience and understanding as several weeks have passed since our last open letter to supporters with very few questions having been answered. However yesterday’s developments provides us with some closure on season 2019/20 and our efforts can now be concentrated on planning for the future so we felt at this stage another open letter would give us a further opportunity to continue our transparency with you all.

Below are several key points that we hope will be a useful update for everyone on the latest EFL information and also an update on other relevant subjects.

EFL Vote

As you will be aware there were two EFL Meetings yesterday, the first one in the morning was for all 71 EFL Clubs to approve the framework which allowed each division to essentially decide on its own fate and the second meeting in the afternoon was for Sky Bet League One Clubs only to vote on the curtailment of the League.

Both resolutions were passed with large majorities. It has been a very difficult time for football like all industries but at last, we have some closure on the 2019/20 season which as we have said throughout we weren’t comfortable resuming for the health of staff and also for financial reasons. During the two weeks prior to these votes, there has been plenty of lobbying by Clubs who disagreed with the resolutions as well as some very vocal clubs even suggesting that the costs of resuming the reason weren’t to the value that has been mentioned. We have no idea how they felt that this was less, as pointed out in our last open letter the costs to complete the season for STFC were very conservative at £500,000. Many Clubs just wanted some closure and to move on and start to make plans for next season 2020/21 and the constant lobbying was becoming frustrating for all Clubs that we have spoken with.

I'm not aware of any picture of Alf Wood hanging in our boardroom, you may be right as I've never been in the hallowed boardroom. You are right that Wood is in the Shrews Hall of Fame, as a goalscorer not a defender. He came second behind Arthur Rowley, all time FL goal scorer and ex player-manager, in a public vote about 10 years ago. BTW I voted for Nigel Pearson as I wouldn't vote for a player I had never seen in a Shrewsbury shirt during my time as a Shrewsbury fan. I probably saw him playing for Shrews against Rovers when I was a lot younger but I can't remember. It also led to my spat with some Shrews fans on B&A after Wood's death,when I mentioned the tackle on George Yardley

Wycherley can go to hell, he knew exactly what he was doing. Wood was like an animal, not a player. And a coward at that. Probably just as well as Alan King and Gerry Casey were ready for him.
The following game was November 5th 1968 (appropriate) at PP. Wood was "not available".
I was in the sheds like everyone else chanting "oh where is Alfie Wood".
If thats your Hall of Fame then I'm sorry but your club is rotten to the core.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/08/2020 22:35 by Crazylegs Cranebird.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net