Bored rover
Bored rover
03 August, 2020 17:52
Couldn’t afford to play on, made three signings today WTaF

gainsparkshrew
gainsparkshrew
03 August, 2020 19:19
Yep...and ??

We never said we couldn't afford to play on, we said it would cost us £200-300k with no income to play on.

Google" Shrewsbury Town accounts" and you will see that we have over £2 million cash in hand at the bank, no debt and we totally own our ground and our new training facilities . Quite simply we are a well run lower league team, something MP will achieve with TRFC in time

Uptonrover
Uptonrover
03 August, 2020 19:31
Part of the football family stich up. A “football club” that wouldnt actually play football. No income yet can sign players, who’d have thought

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2020 19:33 by Uptonrover.

stek26
stek26
03 August, 2020 19:35
Quote:
gainsparkshrew
Yep...and ??
We never said we couldn't afford to play on, we said it would cost us £200-300k with no income to play on.

Google" Shrewsbury Town accounts" and you will see that we have over £2 million cash in hand at the bank, no debt and we totally own our ground and our new training facilities . Quite simply we are a well run lower league team, something MP will achieve with TRFC in time

Why if your a Shrewsbury fan, are you commenting on a Tranmere thread?

EBAWB
EBAWB
03 August, 2020 19:39
Had our positions been reversed, would we have opted to play on? I doubt it personally. The blame for any unfairness lies with the EFL and not "the football family".

Every ball's a white ball

Bored rover
Bored rover
03 August, 2020 19:42
Quote:
gainsparkshrew
Yep...and ??

So you shafted us, Posh, Fleetwood and the others, Nice one!

gainsparkshrew
gainsparkshrew
03 August, 2020 20:19
Because I was raised in Birkenhead from 1961 until 1977.Went to Overchurch Primary and Rock Ferry High.

Lived on the estate behind the Arrowe Park Hotel, why did the Council get rid of the roundabout ? Both of my parents are up in Landican and I have brothers who live in Barnston and Burton

Used to go to PP in the late 60's early 70's, Friday night is Rovers Night ! Dave Russell, Johnny King first time around etc. Occasional F.A Cup away game, South Liverpool and Farsley Celtic at Elland Rd are two that come to mind.

Fell out of love with football for quite a while, not so much sex and drugs and rock n roll as sex and drink and heavy rock !....then my career that gave me a chance to move to Shrewsbury . Went to a match in 1982 and it really was a case of falling in love with the game again. Forty years on, 3 adult kids, 5 grandchildren and I'm a full blown Salopian.

Sorry for the life story, I originally registered on the board to ask a few questions about Birkenhead and Tranmere in those days e.g was the main stand built behind the old pavilion/ stand in 1968 or was the old stand demolished first?

Finally wasn't going to allow Bored Rovers question to go unanswered, and undefended. I can totally understand your frustrations at the situation, especially as I'm pretty certain you would have got out of the bottom 3 and I'm cerain you will come back even stronger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2020 20:25 by gainsparkshrew.

davep63
davep63
03 August, 2020 20:37
Quote:
gainsparkshrew
Because I was raised in Birkenhead from 1961 until 1977.Went to Overchurch Primary and Rock Ferry High.
Lived on the estate behind the Arrowe Park Hotel, why did the Council get rid of the roundabout ? Both of my parents are up in Landican and I have brothers who live in Barnston and Burton

Used to go to PP in the late 60's early 70's, Friday night is Rovers Night ! Dave Russell, Johnny King first time around etc. Occasional F.A Cup away game, South Liverpool and Farsley Celtic at Elland Rd are two that come to mind.

Fell out of love with football for quite a while, not so much sex and drugs and rock n roll as sex and drink and heavy rock !....then my career that gave me a chance to move to Shrewsbury . Went to a match in 1982 and it really was a case of falling in love with the game again. Forty years on, 3 adult kids, 5 grandchildren and I'm a
full blown Salopian.

Sorry for the life story, I originally registered on the board to ask a few questions about Birkenhead and Tranmere in those days e.g was the main stand built behind the old pavilion/ stand in 1968 or was the old stand demolished first?

Finally wasn't going to allow Bored Rovers question to go unanswered, and undefended. I can totally understand your frustrations at the situation, especially as I'm pretty certain you would have got out of the bottom 3 and I'm cerain you will come back even stronger
Nice 1👍 SWA

Viking Tranmere
Crazylegs Cranebird
03 August, 2020 21:24
Quote:
gainsparkshrew
Yep...and ??

Quite simply Shrewsbury is a disgusting team. It was in 1968 and it is now.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34
03 August, 2020 22:23
Quote:
stek26
Why if your a Shrewsbury fan, are you commenting on a Tranmere thread?

Why if people on here are Tranmere fans are they commenting on Shewsbury?

When you have some yin, you've got to expect some possible yang.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

greasbyrover
greasbyrover
03 August, 2020 22:24
Very glad you looked in @gainsparkshrew. Enjoyed reading your post.

Prenton oldpup
Prenton oldpup
03 August, 2020 22:47
Shrewsbury could still loose more than 200-300k if the new season starts in September/ October behind closed doors as others would as well.
One of the things I couldn't understand was the Shrews complaining about Liverpool playing the Fa cup game with a reserve eleven .They still beat you didn't they.? and the attendance was still good.

Loyden1
Loyden1
03 August, 2020 23:31
[quote greasbyrover]Very glad you looked in @gainsparkshrew. Enjoyed reading your post.[/quot.e] anyone who survived the 'woggayears'at rockferry ok by me

greasbyrover
greasbyrover
03 August, 2020 23:35
@Loyden1 I also remember Mr Williams at RFHS!

greasbyrover
greasbyrover
04 August, 2020 00:40
@gainsparkshrew The Arrowe Park roundabout was demolished and replaced with a junction with traffic lights. I think the reason was that in the morning rush hour, everyone was trying to get on to Woodchurch Road and travel towards Birkenhead. If you were coming from the Heswall direction it was fine, but if you were coming from Upton you had to give way to the cars coming from Heswall and ended up getting stuck for ages. As regards the old stand, there is a photo somewhere online (can't find it right now) showing the current main stand being constructed. It looks like the old one had been demolished beforehand.

DevonExile
DevonExile
04 August, 2020 06:41
Quote:
Crazylegs Cranebird
Quote:
gainsparkshrew
Yep...and ??

Quite simply Shrewsbury is a disgusting team. It was in 1968 and it is now.

Crazybirds this really is the worst form of tribalism. Yardleys injury does not define a club for ever and a day and we are not victims of other clubs. We would have done the same thing but neither we or any other club should have had the choice.

Shrewsbury have for many years had a reputatation for being financially sound and it is operated within strict financial limits. From this perspective it is a model of good sustainable practice. With even a modicum of objectivity that has to be admired
I am also a survivor of the Woggeryears, helped by the presence of Elwin Jenkins and Fingers Fletcher

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2020 06:49 by DevonExile.

Bored rover
Bored rover
04 August, 2020 07:17
Quote:
greasbyrover
@gainsparkshrew The Arrowe Park roundabout was demolished and replaced with a junction with traffic lights. I think the reason was that in the morning rush hour, everyone was trying to get on to Woodchurch Road and travel towards Birkenhead. If you were coming from the Heswall direction it was fine, but if you were coming from Upton you had to give way to the cars coming from Heswall and ended up getting stuck for ages. As regards the old stand, there is a photo somewhere online (can't find it right now) showing the current main stand being constructed. It looks like the old one had been demolished beforehand.

The roundabout went due to the Open Championship in 2006, the traffic lights meant they could control the traffic flow in and out from the 53 as part of the traffic management plan. Boring but the reason.

mogsy73
mogsy73
04 August, 2020 08:41
We're not going to get threads every time a L1 team sign a player are we? - I agree with ERAWB, TRFC would clearly have voted against playing on if we were in Shrewsburys position, and the fans would have been up in arms if we'd voted any other way

RODOS ROVER
RODOS ROVER
04 August, 2020 09:09
Yes I agree think back and imagine tranmere were in the middle of the leauge and told ''look theres10 games to go tranmere woul% not be relegated or promoted if last 10 games played probably finish exact same position as now no fans at games and the club would loose lots of money'' honestly I think most of us would want that even though feeling awfull for the relegated ppg teams its simple business for are club
Personally think lower leauges should just have been void thats sad but fair

Loyden1
Loyden1
04 August, 2020 09:23
To devon .there was a mr beedles sports guy who hated football and forever stopped us playing it how times change. As for shrewsbury it was only alf wood who i couldnt forgive over yardley not the whole club.

Uptonrover
Uptonrover
04 August, 2020 09:47
Its the hypocricy though isnt it ? To cry financial reasons and then start spending when the exact same conditions are in place ie no fans in stadiums and no other vast financial income. Presume players will still have to be tested if/when the season gets underway. Wheres the difference? I cant see one. Yes the efl are pathetic and the creators of this mess but the league as a whole could have made a stand. Lets not forget the stated £1m our club is said to be down and if our club ends up bust a season or two down the line (god forbid) how many will be saying oh well we’d have done the same never mind

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2020 10:09 by Uptonrover.

DevonExile
DevonExile
04 August, 2020 10:28
Quote:
Loyden1
To devon .there was a mr beedles sports guy who hated football and forever stopped us playing it how times change. As for shrewsbury it was only alf wood who i couldnt forgive over yardley not the whole club.
Yes, I remember that well , he even hated lunchtime games on the quad. By default he inspired me to take up cross country rather than play riugby. Tony Hank's was at the school in those days and played for Rovers reserves for a couple of seasons Quite an achievement from a school that did nothing to encourage football

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost
04 August, 2020 11:41
Quote:
Uptonrover
Its the hypocricy though isnt it ? To cry financial reasons and then start spending when the exact same conditions are in place ie no fans in stadiums and no other vast financial income. Presume players will still have to be tested if/when the season gets underway. Wheres the difference? I cant see one. Yes the efl are pathetic and the creators of this mess but the league as a whole could have made a stand. Lets not forget the stated £1m our club is said to be down and if our club ends up bust a season or two down the line (god forbid) how many will be saying oh well we’d have done the same never mind

Did Shrewsbury specifically cry poverty themselves? If they did, I dont recall seeing it. Or did they just show solidarity with the rest of L1 and side with them whilst protecting their own best interests? I'm betting the latter. Ironically, because of the EFL stance some clubs, like Shrewsbury perhaps, are better able to invest now than they would have been.

I can think of one club that did cry poverty and have ended up massively profiting from the situation. It is them I reserve my condemnation and ill wishes for. Hoping they plummet back to whence they came quickly.

Uptonrover
Uptonrover
04 August, 2020 12:00
Mightnt have cried poverty but also said they wouldnt spend the money to continue to play what they exisit to do, namely play football. Can then find money to sign players to play the game they said they couldnt afford to play. Shrewsbury have only been mentioned as someone started a thread. Plenty of other clubs did the same. Dread to think what would have happened if we hadnt have banked the money from the fa cup.

MoanerLesser
TRSince1968
04 August, 2020 12:15
I think it's time to focus on Tranmere and stop worrying about what other clubs do or are doing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net