Latest news:

Trail into re-opening of sports stadia postponed
Discussion started by Bored rover (IP Logged), 31 July, 2020 16:00
Bored rover
Bored rover
31 July, 2020 16:00
Govt have announced that it has postponed the next phase of its lifting of the restrictions for at least 2 weeks. Chief scientific officer suggests we have reached the limit of how far we can relax the lockdown suggesting crowds will remain barred from sports grounds. With the season due to start in 6 weeks time it looks like there could be more than just 3 games behind closed doors. Potentially this could even lead to the suspension of football in lg1 and below, can anyone aside Sunderland/Portsmouth and Posh really afford to play on behind closed doors, probably not.

greasbyrover
greasbyrover
31 July, 2020 16:18
I can see the season being cancelled after this news today. 90% of clubs at this level can't play behind closed doors.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
31 July, 2020 16:21
It's quite a leap from postponing test events by at least fortnight to writing off the entire next season!

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost
31 July, 2020 16:48
Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy
It's quite a leap from postponing test events by at least fortnight to writing off the entire next season!
It is, but it is far from out of the question. If there is a continued slight rise in cases, or even a prolonged stall in reductions, then I can't see any crowds being let in (quite rightly). And then there will be the question of affordability. Of course clubs may be forced to play because there will be no furlough this time to fall back on, so they are going to have to pay players anyway they may as well play.

greasbyrover
greasbyrover
31 July, 2020 16:53
It's the way this is panning out that concerns me. The government seem intent on undoing the previous unlocking measures and appear to be headed back to "full" lockdown that we saw in March/April. If the infections rise when the colder weather arrives, the government acting with extreme caution and all these knee jerk reactions (as with the announcement for towns in the north of England) will continue. In my opinion, they should be looking at falling hospital admissions/deaths, but instead they are being driven by the number of positive tests. The government are taking an ultra cautious approach and I can't see stadiums being reopened for the foreseeable future.

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost
31 July, 2020 17:03
They aren't really undoing stuff though. They are holding off implementing announced changes because of small rise in the number of cases overall and then imposing some restrictions where local spikes occur. Which is exactly what they said they would do. There's a ton of things where they have backtracked, but not this. Another full scale lockdown might well be the result if they didn't act now. It might still happen.

greasbyrover
greasbyrover
31 July, 2020 17:27
The message that I keep reading is "we are now at the limit of how much we can reopen". Given that sports stadiums were near enough at the bottom of the list, I can't see football crowds being allowed back in. Now, whether clubs decide they want to commit to starting the season with no fans, is another matter. Maybe the rich clubs could operate in this way, but most will probably not take the risk.

kennyspint
kennyspint
31 July, 2020 21:13
+1

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost
31 July, 2020 21:16
Will they have an option not too? The most they can realistically do is delay preseason until the furlough scheme ends (October I think) and then look to start 5/6 weeks later. There will be no government scheme to fall back on this time allowing them run a skeleton crew at minimum cost. Clubs are going to have to start paying people at that point whether they have any income from crowds or not.

Bored rover
Bored rover
31 July, 2020 21:42
Or they can just mothball and lay everyone off. The scientists advice appeared to be we’ve opened what we can to open other stuff we might have to close stuff. Until a vaccine is found and produced Football really isn’t a priority in the wider scheme of things, PL can carry on Championship some sides Lg1/2, Possibly not as a full time entity this could be the end of 4 tier pro football conceivably.

goosed
goosed
01 August, 2020 07:17
No crowds no money no players or staff no club

This is @#$%&
This is sh1t
01 August, 2020 08:31
And people are unhappy we have no new signings and owners need to pull there finger out !

aktrfc
aktrfc
01 August, 2020 09:23
When the premier league returned, the gov said it was important to get things back to normal and let people have something to enjoy. Well why don’t the government now insist on all the tv revenue being more equally split across all leagues and the this way we could all enjoy it, not just the plastic premier league so called fans. These people can’t be missing the game, as they never bloody went in the first place. It’s fans like us who go the game week in, week out and don’t even get the chance to watch rovers on the TV continue to suffer. If we can’t play, don’t let them play. I’m sure we’d see a change then.

Tranman
Tranman
01 August, 2020 10:17
Quote:
aktrfc
When the premier league returned, the gov said it was important to get things back to normal and let people have something to enjoy. Well why don’t the government now insist on all the tv revenue being more equally split across all leagues and the this way we could all enjoy it, not just the plastic premier league so called fans. These people can’t be missing the game, as they never bloody went in the first place. It’s fans like us who go the game week in, week out and don’t even get the chance to watch rovers on the TV continue to suffer. If we can’t play, don’t let them play. I’m sure we’d see a change then.

+1

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost
01 August, 2020 10:40
What remit do the govt have to insist on greater revenue sharing? It's a free market economy and survival of the fittest. There is worldwide interest in the PL and it is one of the UK's most visible brands worldwide. You really think any govt is going to damage that, and all the revenue it brings them and the country, just because the lower leagues think it is unfair?

pc1968
pc1968
01 August, 2020 11:14
I’m not sure it’s entirely correct to think we have no income with no fans in the stadium
I believe somewhere approaching 3000 season tickets have been sold
If you said our average home gate next season might have been say 4000 ( less away fans ) then it’s not too dramatic a reduction ... the money is in the bank
I know you would also lose the extra income from programmes refreshments the fan zone etc etc but perhaps offset to a degree by less costs in the form of match day staff stewards police etc
Also we and others clubs will be operating with a smaller squad
If you look at the back of one or two match programmes from recent seasons you can see well over 30 names sometimes nearly 40
I think those days are gone
We have also cut our staff permanently
Remember the 20 redundancies goalkeeping coach analyst and others
By running a very tight ship and mark and Nicola are very sharp business people having no fans might not be the disaster some people think

The real problem which will indeed be very serious will be season 21 22 when season tickets purchased for 20 21 when prenton park was closed will be valid for no extra payment....I think that’s the intention

I’m hoping we can get back into prenton park before Christmas
I have watched a couple of games on tv recently ...it just isn’t the same
I’m not sure I will even watch the fa cup final....something I would look forward to for weeks when I was much younger !

Bored rover
Bored rover
01 August, 2020 11:20
Quote:
pc1968
I’m not sure it’s entirely correct to think we have no income with no fans in the stadium
I believe somewhere approaching 3000 season tickets have been sold
If you said our average home gate next season might have been say 4000 ( less away fans ) then it’s not too dramatic a reduction ... the money is in the bank
I know you would also lose the extra income from programmes refreshments the fan zone etc etc but perhaps offset to a degree by less costs in the form of match day staff stewards police etc
Also we and others clubs will be operating with a smaller squad
If you look at the back of one or two match programmes from recent seasons you can see well over 30 names sometimes nearly 40
I think those days are gone
We have also cut our staff permanently
Remember the 20 redundancies goalkeeping coach analyst and others
By running a very tight ship and mark and Nicola are very sharp business people having no fans might not be the disaster some people think

The real problem which will indeed be very serious will be season 21 22 when season tickets purchased for 20 21 when prenton park was closed will be valid for no extra payment....I think that’s the intention

I’m hoping we can get back into prenton park before Christmas
I have watched a couple of games on tv recently ...it just isn’t the same
I’m not sure I will even watch the fa cup final....something I would look forward to for weeks when I was much younger !

They are relying on those who have purchased a ST not requesting a refund, plenty happy to forgo a few games and donate but a whole seasons worth?? Not so sure, we will still have to pay staff such as stewards all be it less numbers but the ground will still need to be opened, changes cleaned, pitch maintained, electric and gas paid particularly night fixtures with floodlights, players food and nutrition, coaching staff, legal, medical and admin.

pc1968
pc1968
01 August, 2020 11:56
Fair point regarding fans generosity in not asking for a refund
With no fans at all the need for stewards is dramatically reduced
Midweek night fixtures could be played in the afternoon
Only certain parts of the ground need opening
Hopefully the new pitch wont need the extensive work that the old pitch did last season
With a smaller squad smaller coaching staff and no fans all costs are reduced

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
01 August, 2020 12:07
The Culture Secretary (I think) was quoted after yesterday's government announcement yesterday as saying the plan is still to have crowds of 20-40% capacity from October.

pc1968
pc1968
01 August, 2020 13:27
If you take the mid point 30 % of 15000 gives 4500
That will be probably be enough for most games allowing 3000 season ticket supporters plus 1500 pay on the day which presumably would be tickets bought beforehand and asuuming no away fans

gary anderson
gary anderson
01 August, 2020 13:40
Next season won't start simple as that .clubs at our level can't afford to play behind closed doors no income so would go under .its the world we live in at moment when we get back to normal if we ever do then we might be allowed back to support our clubs .but no fans allowed how can clubs survive

Bored rover
Bored rover
01 August, 2020 17:56
Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy
The Culture Secretary (I think) was quoted after yesterday's government announcement yesterday as saying the plan is still to have crowds of 20-40% capacity from October.

Yeah but SAGE are saying not, stating ministers have gone to far.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
01 August, 2020 18:42
Quote:
Bored rover
Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy

I don't think that's correct.
Besides, it's the government not SAGE who decides these things.

Bored rover
Bored rover
01 August, 2020 20:06
Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy
Quote:
Bored rover
Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy

We will learn more in 2 weeks time when this is all revisited by Govt. Question is will it be too late then if we still haven’t acted and govt go ahead with opening grounds on a trial basis. Interestingly Russia have announced they plan to commence a vacation programme in October. Clearly less stringent testing going on but if they do roll that out and have no noticeable issues pressure will surely rise on the West to roll out if not increasing already following their initial announcement.

coltran
coltran
02 August, 2020 10:44
Perhaps now some of of our fans can see why the club isn't rushing into the transfer market.

Vagabondo
Vagabondo
02 August, 2020 17:06
Quote:
Bored rover
Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy
Quote:
Bored rover
Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy

We will learn more in 2 weeks time when this is all revisited by Govt. Question is will it be too late then if we still haven’t acted and govt go ahead with opening grounds on a trial basis. Interestingly Russia have announced they plan to commence a vacation programme in October. Clearly less stringent testing going on but if they do roll that out and have no noticeable issues pressure will surely rise on the West to roll out if not increasing already following their initial announcement.

See Bored Rover believes that the Russians and the Conservatives are going to save the next football season, well at least he is right about them being in a very close relationship!

MESSAGES->author
acc928
03 August, 2020 10:05
Quote:
coltran
Perhaps now some of of our fans can see why the club isn't rushing into the transfer market.

Nail on the head as they say

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net