Latest news:

Unfair relegation finally overturned in Belgium
Discussion started by Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged), 31 July, 2020 15:37
Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
31 July, 2020 15:37
After yet another legal ruling yesterday in Waasland-Beveren's favour, their relegation has finally been overturned.

The league has today decided to run with 18 clubs rather than 16 next season, meaning W-B retain their status, and they'll be joined by the two clubs who were playing off to take their place.

Over to Mr and Mrs P!

I don't see the EFL doing anything similar. But it's worth noting that W-B were two points adrift at the bottom with a far inferior goal difference, and only one game left to play, and they've found plenty of legal argument in their favour.

Bored rover
Bored rover
31 July, 2020 15:49
It’s a different legal system though in a Belgium. I can’t see any legal challenge after the SFA charged Hearts and Fylde didn’t even bother. Our only saviour might be a total league restructure if a load of teams go to the wire but with players being signed up left right and centre that seems a “project fear”.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
31 July, 2020 16:02
Well yes, it is a different legal system in Belgium. As it is in Scotland. The detailed facts and circumstances behind all cases also have a number of differences. The core legal principles, however, are broadly similar across the jurisdictions.

Ebbsfleet and Fylde both indicated they had a legal route forward available to them but chose not to pursue it. They claimed it was for the greater good of the game. That may be so, but the cost/benefit trade off of challenging a demotion from VNL to step 2 has far less appeal than that of challenging a demotion from L1 to L2. So long as you've got a case, of course.

Bored rover
Bored rover
31 July, 2020 16:16
Yeah but looking at the news possibly irrelevant can’t see grounds opening in October so likely the season will also be postponed as surely we can’t play behind closed doors at this level, not without significant redistribution of wealth anyway.

DevonExile
DevonExile
31 July, 2020 18:06
It could explain our tardiness is making signings for if there is a further long period without income surely some will go to the wall.

Uptonrover
Uptonrover
31 July, 2020 18:35
Quote:
Bored rover
Yeah but looking at the news possibly irrelevant can’t see grounds opening in October so likely the season will also be postponed as surely we can’t play behind closed doors at this level, not without significant redistribution of wealth anyway.

Well thats what the “football family” do best isnt it? Look after each other?



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/07/2020 18:36 by Uptonrover.

Viking Tranmere
Crazylegs Cranebird
31 July, 2020 20:57
Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy
Well yes, it is a different legal system in Belgium. As it is in Scotland. The detailed facts and circumstances behind all cases also have a number of differences. The core legal principles, however, are broadly similar across the jurisdictions.
Ebbsfleet and Fylde both indicated they had a legal route forward available to them but chose not to pursue it. They claimed it was for the greater good of the game. That may be so, but the cost/benefit trade off of challenging a demotion from VNL to step 2 has far less appeal than that of challenging a demotion from L1 to L2. So long as you've got a case, of course.

Would be interesting to find how Beveren succeeded where Hearts failed, and the 2 French teams failed as well.
I agree our case is the strongest of the lot, particularly considering the number of games still to be played - 10, and over the previous 3 games - all away from home - we were the form team of the Division. Possibly Mark and Nicola were waiting for this ruling before deciding on the course of action. I had given up. However at this point of time if I was a gambling man I would put my money on Mark and Nicola putting in a challenge, and using Beveren's lawyer. The fixtures are being delayed anyway due to Stevenage/Macclesfield.



TRFC is #8 on Wirral's new Viking Trail
[www.facebook.com] 👊👊

nwindsor
NickNotTheGreek
01 August, 2020 11:58
Quote:
Bored rover
Yeah but looking at the news possibly irrelevant can’t see grounds opening in October so likely the season will also be postponed as surely we can’t play behind closed doors at this level, not without significant redistribution of wealth anyway.

IMHO it's actually irrelevant when the grounds open up again. This thread is only debating whether Tranmere have a legal case worthy of pursuing with the sole objective being reinstatement into L1 for the next season or compensation. Whether the next season commences in October or 2021 or even 2022 is irrelevant.


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net