Latest news:

Inheritance
Discussion started by DevonExile (IP Logged), 31 July, 2020 14:11
DevonExile
DevonExile
31 July, 2020 14:11
When Mellon joined us he inherited a squad that included Davies,McNulty,Hughes,Ridehaigh, Sutton,Harris, Coleman, Cook and Norwood and so not a bad starting point for a drive on promotion to Div2.
Two of those remain and then there is the rest of the two year contract people +'Clarke..I wonder whether people feel that Jacksons inheritance looks as good in terms of being capable of promotion from Div 2.
Personally, I think that Jackson faces a bigger challenge than which MM had and for the first twelve months it would be unfair to expect anything other than consolidating our position

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
31 July, 2020 15:01
You've stumped me with Coleman! Who was he?

I think Jacko's inherited a good nucleus, obviously shorter in numbers at the moment than Mellon's inheritance because of the time of year. The immediate demand on him will be recruitment whereas for Mellon it was more a case of getting more out of what he inherited.

I think it's reasonable that Jacko should be expected to assemble a squad that will start the season capable of pushing for a playoff spot at least, and strengthen in January where necessary. Especially as we're supposedly in better shape than many other clubs at this level to ride out the covid storm.

Bored rover
Bored rover
31 July, 2020 15:03
No where near as good, Brabin wasn’t suited managing a big club as we were then but someone had an eye for a player coupled with the biggest budget in the league signing what was let’s be honest an all stars National League Squad. It could certainly be argued we under achieved particularly under Brabin with that squad. We are now in a position of a mediocre to low budget. Jacko has a job on his hands if he can find success here he’s going to be a top EFL manager.

mill park white
mill park white
31 July, 2020 15:09
Quote:
DevonExile
When Mellon joined us he inherited a squad that included Davies,McNulty,Hughes,Ridehaigh, Sutton,Harris, Coleman, Cook and Norwood and so not a bad starting point for a drive on promotion to Div2.
Two of those remain and then there is the rest of the two year contract people +'Clarke..I wonder whether people feel that Jacksons inheritance looks as good in terms of being capable of promotion from Div 2.
Personally, I think that Jackson faces a bigger challenge than which MM had and for the first twelve months it would be unfair to expect anything other than consolidating our position
+1. I would be happy to consolidate this season. Anything else would be a huge bonus and surprise.

prentonpete1
prentonpete1
31 July, 2020 15:31
With mculloch going back to Ireland to Glentoran on a 2 year contract and Caprice not excepting terms and Jennings already gone we are losing players hand over fist more going I believe anytime some are under contract here.
I think it's time we got cracking.
It's boringly quiet.

Bored rover
Bored rover
31 July, 2020 15:46
Quote:
prentonpete1
With mculloch going back to Ireland to Glentoran on a 2 year contract and Caprice not excepting terms and Jennings already gone we are losing players hand over fist more going I believe anytime some are under contract here.
It's boringly quiet.

It’s worrying that we can’t even compete with Exeter to re-sign one of our own players, they have been skint for years couldn’t even afford to sack the manager 18 months ago had to put him on notice.

Uptonrover
Uptonrover
31 July, 2020 16:26
Quote:
prentonpete1
It's boringly quiet.

I understand the frustration but with todays news it maybe wise to hang fire signing players given it is an unsure date for when paying fans can come back in. Also McCullogh hasnt signed for anyone yet

DevonExile
DevonExile
31 July, 2020 17:50
Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy
I think Jacko's inherited a good nucleus, obviously shorter in numbers at the moment than Mellon's inheritance because of the time of year. The immediate demand on him will be recruitment whereas for Mellon it was more a case of getting more out of what he inherited.

I think it's reasonable that Jacko should be expected to assemble a squad that will start the season capable of pushing for a playoff spot at least, and strengthen in January where necessary. Especially as we're supposedly in better shape than many other clubs at this level to ride out the covid storm.

Sorry Aldo it was typing whilst taking a phone call and therefore an aberration it should read Connor Jennings

MESSAGES->author
Matt34
31 July, 2020 20:40
Quote:
Bored rover
coupled with the biggest budget in the league

In fairness that was probably Forest Green Rovers who had that. A Chester fan came on here once and reckoned FGR could spend £2,000,000 a season in the NL. Tranmere supposedly had £1,200,000 in the last L1 season prior to relegation and evne with more sponship and better accounting since the new ownership I would suspect Tranmere's budget was less than £2,000,000 or at best £2,000,0000 and no more. I'd be surprised if the budget was in excess of that.

Of couse the Chester fan couldn't have been in 100% possession of the facts, so they could have been bang on, but if it wasn't £2,000,000 FGR could spend, I would suspect they had the potential to push Tranmere into second place in the budget stakes.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
31 July, 2020 21:15
Quote:
DevonExile
Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy

Sorry Aldo it was typing whilst taking a phone call and therefore an aberration it should read Connor Jennings

Ha ha, there was me thinking you might have meant Cole Stockton or Larnell Cole!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net