Latest news:

Declan Drysdale
Discussion started by DevonExile (IP Logged), 02 July, 2020 11:44
DevonExile
DevonExile
02 July, 2020 11:44
Interesting to see that despite all the current uncertainty and promotion that Coventry have offered Drysdale a 3 year contract. They must see some lreal potential to give him such a long contract

Tranman
Tranman
02 July, 2020 15:51
Another Will Vaulks? We've not got a good record with our youth!

ADD
ADD
02 July, 2020 16:55
yes he was another poorly treated... 3 years is ceratinly a statement of intent.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34
02 July, 2020 21:25
Quote:
Tranman

Perhaps with him an Vaulks, but in the case of people like Ian Moore, Jason Koumas, Aaron Cresswell, and Ash Taylor, those are good uses of youth.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Loyden1
Loyden1
02 July, 2020 23:51
Quote:
Matt34
Quote:
Tranman

Perhaps with him an Vaulks, but in the case of people like Ian Moore, Jason Koumas, Aaron Cresswell, and Ash Taylor, those are good uses of youth.
I think Warwick rimmed might dispute the 'not a good record ' think he made the club a good few million quid with his youth finds

Tranman
Tranman
03 July, 2020 13:19
Quote:
Loyden1
Quote:
Matt34
Quote:
Tranman

I think Warwick rimmed might dispute the 'not a good record ' think he made the club a good few million quid with his youth finds

I should have said 'Mellon's not got a good record with our youth'.

stek26
stek26
03 July, 2020 19:39
Why do people automatically assume when a young player leaves he was treated poorly....

He left because a much bigger club offered him a deal with better terms than we could.

We also received a compensation fee.

Declan thought this was an opportunity to good to turn down and he’s proved right.

Tranman
Tranman
03 July, 2020 20:48
Quote:
stek26
Why do people automatically assume when a young player leaves he was treated poorly....
He left because a much bigger club offered him a deal with better terms than we could.

Declan thought this was an opportunity to good to turn down and he’s proved right.

It was the club that was poorly treated by Mellon!

ADD
ADD
04 July, 2020 06:40
Quote:
stek26

He was treated poorly by MM not giving him any chance at first team football even tho having rave reviews from Parky... as a consequence he apparently would not sign professional terms when offered to him so he was not locked in so we get nothing for him when he went

Bored rover
Bored rover
04 July, 2020 06:45
When you are battle no for survival, which lets be in no doubt we were in the NL, you can not take a chance on an unproven in experienced player, no matter how rave the reviews.

This is @#$%&
This is sh1t
04 July, 2020 07:51
Quote:
Bored rover
When you are battle no for survival, which lets be in no doubt we were in the NL, you can not take a chance on an unproven in experienced player, no matter how rave the reviews.

I would say it depends on players physical stature and mental strength - probably he was good enough but you do take some risk and would would need to know the player if they would be able to cope with the situation.

I remember Rooney when he first broke through for Everton - looked like a beest, but when spoke to press was just a kid still - but had the mental and physical strength

MESSAGES->author
Phil65
04 July, 2020 08:35
I'm happy with Sir Matt Busby's quote "If they're good enough, they're old enough" which is still on the wall in the Manchester Utd dressing room. United didn't do too badly with youth. It would be a tonic to see somebody breaking through the ranks and getting a regular first team place. It's that catch 22 scenario where talk is of them not having enough experience, when the experience comes from playing first team football.
Conversely, older players have their place. Where's my shirt!
Perhaps someone on here could rectify the youth situation when they step in to Mickey's shoes, if the rumour's true; loads of good managers on here!😀

ADD
ADD
04 July, 2020 08:46
Quote:
Bored rover
I understand that of course but if you take that to the logical end you would have a bunch of 50 year olds on either side... which our average age wasn't far off last seasonwinking smiley
I just hope the new Manager whoever he is gives Walker-Rice (assuming he takes up the contract offer) and the 4 new kids a fair go.

DevonExile
DevonExile
04 July, 2020 11:50
Quote:
Phil65
I'm happy with Sir Matt Busby's quote "If they're good enough, they're old enough" which is still on the wall in the Manchester Utd dressing room. United didn't do too badly with youth. It would be a tonic to see somebody breaking through the ranks and getting a regular first team place. It's that catch 22 scenario where talk is of them not having enough experience, when the experience comes from playing first team football.
Perhaps someone on here could rectify the youth situation when they step in to Mickey's shoes, if the rumour's true; loads of good managers on here!😀

Yes but if you look at the so called Busby Babes teams they where not all teenagers. Bringing a potential outstanding player into an experienced team is one thing but at our level it is almost impossible to put out a really young team that is competitive.

MESSAGES->author
acc928
04 July, 2020 12:11
Quote:
DevonExile
Quote:
Phil65

Yes but if you look at the so called Busby Babes teams they where not all teenagers. Bringing a potential outstanding player into an experienced team is one thing but at our level it is almost impossible to put out a really young team that is competitive.

The Busby Babes average age was about 22 with the captain Duncan Edwards being 21

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
04 July, 2020 12:48
This Drysdale lad has done nothing yet, even when he was with us not just now he's left, he's painted as some massive talent we messed up on.

Good luck to him at Cov but a three year deal in the Championship for a 19 or 20 year old who's hardly kicked a ball in the first team is no reason to beat ourselves up. Mottley-Henry also signed a long deal (2 years?) in the Championship at a similar age.

Yes there's obviously potential there but, unless and until he starts fulfilling it, it means nothing.

He was on loan at Solihull recently and, with Cov going up, he'll probably have a couple more loan moves over the next year or so. Might come to us! Like Ponticelli..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2020 12:49 by Aldo'smuzzy.

rossb07
rossb07
04 July, 2020 14:16
Wasn’t as good as some are making out when he played for us. Bullied by Vauxhalls, so just have turned a corner and good luck to him. No sleep lost...

FloodlitFridays
FloodlitFridays
04 July, 2020 14:27
Quote:
rossb07
Wasn’t as good as some are making out when he played for us. Bullied by Vauxhalls, so just have turned a corner and good luck to him. No sleep lost...

And not to mention the late-season game against Solihull... the very definition of Bambi on ice. The most promising player we’ve had come through the system in ages was Eddie Clarke and look what happened there!

MESSAGES->author
Phil65
04 July, 2020 15:43
Quote:
acc928
Quote:
DevonExile
Quote:
Phil65

The Busby Babes average age was about 22 with the captain Duncan Edwards being 21

There is no universally agreed international definition of the "youth" age group. The United Nations defines "youth" as those between 15 and 24 years of age. The Busby Babes, and Drysdale, sit within that range.
It is symptomatic of the situation when there's an inclination to dismiss a younger player who's hardly kicked a ball in the first team or is judged on one or two appearances. Are we really expecting instant success, particularly at our level; even seasoned pros can take time to flourish. The jury was out on Norwood for a good period, but he turned to gold and don't forget "senior" pros can have their fair share of mares. We can't always use the excuse that we can't take a chance on youth, as seems to have been highlighted by some on numerous occasions; it wasn't the right time during our three years in the NL, it wasn't the right time in League Two, then League One. The million dollar question: when is the right time?
I'd prefer an eclectic approach to age, rather than it be deemed a limiter at either end of the scale. To be fair to Mickey, we have used some younger loan signings, but the expectation seems to be they need to be consistent world beaters to get a modicum of credit.
I'd be happy if we survived in League Two enabling some younger players to gain valuable experience and become contracted first team regulars, even if it was to sell on at some point.
I guess a little bit of patience will go a long way.
Idealistic maybe, but certainly not unfeasible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2020 15:44 by Phil65.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net