Wigan Athletic administration could be tip of a large iceberg in EFL
Discussion started by Tranman (IP Logged), 01 July, 2020 20:04
Tranman
Tranman
01 July, 2020 20:04

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost
01 July, 2020 20:21
Well, as a number of Wigan fans were less than complimentary about us and the ppg fiasco then I would have to respond to this news as idgaf about Wigan's troubles.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
01 July, 2020 20:26
If that's the case Doogie, how ironic it'd be if we were reprieved because they went bust!

Looks like latics have been shafted by their new owners. If all else fails, wouldn't be surprised if Dave Whelan ended up bailing them out.

Free_Library_Boy
Free_Library_Boy
01 July, 2020 20:26
As the "football family" myth has now well and truly been put to bed, if it takes a few clubs to go to the wall to keep our League One status then I really hope it happens. I really couldn't give a damn about other clubs after the PPG farce.

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost
01 July, 2020 22:32
Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy
If that's the case Doogie, how ironic it'd be if we were reprieved because they went bust!
Looks like latics have been shafted by their new owners. If all else fails, wouldn't be surprised if Dave Whelan ended up bailing them out.
That's a very intriguing issue. As I read the situation then L1 has concluded, therefore the L1 season is over officially. If this is the case and a constituent team goes bust, which Wigan would presumably be if they are relegated, then I see it as a Bury situation and one fewer relegation place from L1 next year. But the Championship season hasn't ended, therefore Wigan would be relegated but unable to take their place which would presumably reprieve us instead, but we have already been relegated and our season is over. The whole thing is a minefield because the EFL season normally all ends on a specific fixed day. This year it hasn't. Lawyers could have a field day with this one!

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
01 July, 2020 23:27
Usually clubs are officially members of a division from one league AGM up to the next AGM. I assume this is the case in the EFL, even with all the meetings they've been holding lately.

Uptonrover
Uptonrover
02 July, 2020 07:02
Maybe they can ask Stockport for a loan, there minted you know 😂

Bored rover
Bored rover
02 July, 2020 07:34
If Wigan go out of business we won’t stay in league 1 as with Bury the division will run 1 short.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2020 07:35 by Bored rover.

the kav
the kav
02 July, 2020 08:04
Quote:
Bored rover
If Wigan go out of business we won’t stay in league 1 as with Bury the division will run 1 short.

Knowing the efl they will advocate responsibility to a vote in which the members will probably vote to promote 4th in l2 or Exeter as play off winners, in fact anyone but us

Uptonrover
Uptonrover
02 July, 2020 09:15
Here we go... sky reporting wigan can appeal against points deduction as there is a clause in the efl rules about circumstances that are “unforseen and avoidable” a pandemic being one such circumstance.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
02 July, 2020 10:08
Quote:
Bored rover

And what are you basing that on?

MESSAGES->author
acc928
02 July, 2020 10:49
Quote:
Uptonrover
Here we go... sky reporting wigan can appeal against points deduction as there is a clause in the efl rules about circumstances that are “unforseen and avoidable” a pandemic being one such circumstance.

Administrator Paul Stanley said 'There has been a change of ownership recently and from what we can see, they didn't want to fund it anymore'.

Viking Tranmere
Crazylegs Cranebird
02 July, 2020 11:25
Bury fans would be very upset if Wigan werent immediately demoted to the North West Counties Alliance.

Would be interesting to see
1. what wages they are paying their players.
2. the reaction of teams - and their lawyers - finishing in the bottom 3 this season, especially as Wigan have just beaten Stoke 3-0 with a set of players they cannot afford.

TRFC is #8 on Wirral's new Viking Trail
[www.facebook.com] 👊👊

greasbyrover
greasbyrover
04 July, 2020 01:55
@ Free_Library_Boy. Be careful what you wish for. If a few clubs go to the wall then lower league football will be in a perilous situation and the whole structure could quickly start to collapse like a pack of cards. Many, many more will likely follow into the abyss. The issue of TRFC's relegation may then be an irrelevance.

Viking Tranmere
Crazylegs Cranebird
04 July, 2020 09:05
Quote:
greasbyrover
@ Free_Library_Boy. Be careful what you wish for. If a few clubs go to the wall then lower league football will be in a perilous situation and the whole structure could quickly start to collapse like a pack of cards. Many, many more will likely follow into the abyss. The issue of TRFC's relegation may then be an irrelevance.

tbh after what they have done to us who cares. So long as we are OK, and if means playing B teams like in Germany so be it. What has happened the last month changes everything.

TRFC is #8 on Wirral's new Viking Trail
[www.facebook.com] 👊👊

MESSAGES->author
acc928
04 July, 2020 11:31
Quote:
Crazylegs Cranebird
Quote:
greasbyrover

tbh after what they have done to us who cares. So long as we are OK, and if means playing B teams like in Germany so be it. What has happened the last month changes everything.

Crazylegs - I wouldn't be interested in watching the Rovers playing any 'B' team. I would prefer the likes of Wrexham, Chester and as mentioned in other threads Halifax and Stockport, especially the awaydays.

DevonExile
DevonExile
04 July, 2020 11:45
Quote:
Crazylegs Cranebird
Bury fans would be very upset if Wigan werent immediately demoted to the North West Counties Alliance.
Would be interesting to see
1. what wages they are paying their players.
2. the reaction of teams - and their lawyers - finishing in the bottom 3 this season, especially as Wigan have just beaten Stoke 3-0 with a set of players they cannot afford.
I cannot see any real similarity with Bury where the whole ownership trail was linked with enormously questionable paper based companies that had a control of key assets.
The only similarity is that each went into administration. Bury where never going to find an owner that could meet the requirements of the administrator. There is no known reason why Wigan could not,in contrast attract a buyer, even in these difficult times.
I cannot see how the EFL can justify using the penalties at a time like this, which if does not represent unusual and unforeseen circumstances , makes it impossible to think what does.
Immediate expulsion would be a far greater injustice than our relegation

Bored rover
Bored rover
04 July, 2020 12:25
Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy
Quote:
Bored rover

The league rules

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
04 July, 2020 13:19
Quote:
Bored rover
Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy
Quote:
Bored rover

The league rules

You're guessing.

But feel free to point out said rule: [www.efl.com]

Bored rover
Bored rover
04 July, 2020 15:03
Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy
Quote:
Bored rover
Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy
Quote:
Bored rover

The league rules

You're guessing.

But feel free to point out said rule: [www.efl.com]

No it’s the same rules used in the summer when Bury went bust, we’ve been relegated we won’t be reinstated without winning promotion.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
04 July, 2020 15:14
Like I said, you're guessing.

Bury were expelled after the 19/20 season had started, that's why they weren't replaced in 19/20. Instead the relegation places were reduced and the vacancy is to be filled for 20/1.

Wigan going bust in 19/20 would result in the exact same scenario. Wigan going bust at any point after the league AGM, however, would probably not.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34
04 July, 2020 16:17
Quote:
Crazylegs Cranebird
tbh after what they have done to us who cares. So long as we are OK, and if means playing B teams like in Germany so be it.

Tranmere V Bayern II, as a pre-season friendly. Played at Tranmere with the club making around £80,000 from ticketing and match day spend, excluding costs.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

DevonExile
DevonExile
04 July, 2020 18:49
Not in an empty stadium

Loyden1
Loyden1
04 July, 2020 20:36
Quote:
acc928
Quote:
Crazylegs Cranebird
Quote:
greasbyrover

Crazylegs - I wouldn't be interested in watching the wRovers playing any 'B' team. I would prefer the likes of Wrexham, Chester and as mentioned in other threads Halifax and Stockport, especially the awaydays.
with you on that1

Pitou
Pitou
04 July, 2020 20:55
Another North West team in money trouble kinda worrying

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net