Latest news:

Poll: O/T honesty box
Discussion started by Elvis (IP Logged), 01 July, 2020 19:25
MESSAGES->author
Elvis
01 July, 2020 19:25

How much would you have paid for a small bottle of water and 2 x Bounty from Honesty Box?

£1.00
£2.00
50p
30p
Another amount
Nothing

You must be logged in to vote.

9 Votes

Show results

Hi Soccer friends,

I have been doing a lot of day walks on long distance paths. I chanced upon an honesty box and was hoping for Lemon Fanta and a Toffee Crisp, but all that was inside was a dozen or so small bottles of water and a handful of Mars bars and two Bounty bars. I wasn't particularly thirsty as I still had approx 400mls of weak Lemon drink. However, I did quite fancy a Bounty as I had skipped breakfast and I rarely take sandwiches on day walks. I still had some 800m of ascent and 7 miles (not the Bob Graham Round) left. I reasoned that the Bounty bars would give me much needed energy and took 'em, along with a bottle of water and I tossed 30 pence into the box. Should I have paid more? And if so, how much? Its probably worth noting that I used the remainder of my small change on parking and only had bank cards on me. And there was no pricing whatsoever. What I can tell you, Aldi sell the exact same water for about 16p per bottle. And the Bounty bars were marked 'Not to be sold separately' And they were clearly being sold separately.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2020 19:30 by Elvis.

the kav
the kav
01 July, 2020 19:31
Worth a quid mate

MESSAGES->author
Elvis
01 July, 2020 19:49
Yeah, you're probably right. If I had more money I'd have left at least two quid and probably taken a Mars as well. For what it's worth, after eating both Bounty I was left so thirsty that I drank the water and the remainder of the weak lemon drink. I felt ripped off by the honesty box..

(•_•) ..
∫\ \___( •_•)
_∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

the kav
the kav
01 July, 2020 20:28
How far do you walk? I did a couple of 20+ last summer... I couldn't quite get to 25 although I did a 34 mile charity walk about 8 years ago

MESSAGES->author
Phil65
01 July, 2020 20:31
Were they snack size Bounty bars or the full monty (the full monty these days equates to snack size anyway) so snack size should be relabelled bite size to ensure clarity and avoid any discrepancy under the trades description act, but then what descriptive would be given to one of those Bountys in a Celebrations tub.
I bet the bottled water was labelled spring water, which gives Carte Blanche for the addition of additives/additional chemicals, so is just glorified tap water and it would be hard to evidence that it hadn't been sourced from a local garden tap, unlike that pure mineral water stuff that saintly people drink. Checking for lids that had been tampered with would also be a high priority to aid identification of source. Were they within their use by date, just out of date by a week or so, or well and truly past the date; all mitigating circumstances.
Shame there were no crisps. Crisps are a whole different ball game. Talking of crisps, as I am now, my Mrs bought a 60 pack variety box of Walkers (no relation to Elvis' hikes) crisps from Costco. "Variety" equates to ready salted, cheese and onion and salt and vinegar, with the latter being my favourite by some distance; probably equivalent to the 7 miles you had left. Now anyone with a modicum of mathematical knowledge would break 60 down in to three equal quantities of 20; oh no, not Mr (or Mrs) Walker though as the box contained 24 ready salted, 24 cheese and onion and a miserly 12 salt and vinegar! Gary Lineker, get a grip, why the lack of Salt 'n' Lineker!!
Back on track, I think you would have been well within your rights to confiscate the items you chose without payment, in effect making a citizens arrest on said corrupt items and that box should be retitled as a dishonesty box to provide an apt description of the nature of its contents. I think 30p will likely encourage further rural crime and a potential proliferation of dishonesty boxes.

MESSAGES->author
Elvis
01 July, 2020 22:34
Quote:
the kav
How far do you walk? I did a couple of 20+ last summer... I couldn't quite get to 25 although I did a 34 mile charity walk about 8 years ago

Since the lock down, I've been doing 15 miles a day an average. Five to six days a week. Sometimes I will walk with 20kgs in a small 17l pack. But more often than not, I will just carry a waterproof and drink.

I've done a few long distance paths/through hikes in UK and abroad prior to lock down.

34 miles is good. If you have comfortable footwear and good socks anything is possible.

I have a handful of long distance paths on a to-do list as soon as lock down is over. The shortest being 6 days.

To answer your question, 15-20 a day. When on the trail, I like to start early, and finish early afternoon and camp up. If on a single overnighter, I'd probably walk 25+

(•_•) ..
∫\ \___( •_•)
_∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

MESSAGES->author
Elvis
01 July, 2020 22:39
Quote:
Phil65
Were they snack size Bounty bars or the full monty (the full monty these days equates to snack size anyway) so snack size should be relabelled bite size to ensure clarity and avoid any discrepancy under the trades description act, but then what descriptive would be given to one of those Bountys in a Celebrations tub.
I bet the bottled water was labelled spring water, which gives Carte Blanche for the addition of additives/additional chemicals, so is just glorified tap water and it would be hard to evidence that it hadn't been sourced from a local garden tap, unlike that pure mineral water stuff that saintly people drink. Checking for lids that had been tampered with would also be a high priority to aid identification of source. Were they within their use by date, just out of date by a week or so, or well and truly past the date; all mitigating circumstances.
Shame there were no crisps. Crisps are a whole different ball game. Talking of crisps, as I am now, my Mrs bought a 60 pack variety box of Walkers (no relation to Elvis' hikes) crisps from Costco. "Variety" equates to ready salted, cheese an
d onion and salt and vinegar, with the latter being my favourite by some distance; probably equivalent to the 7 miles you had left. Now anyone with a modicum of mathematical knowledge would break 60 down in to three equal quantities of 20; oh no, not Mr (or Mrs) Walker though as the box contained 24 ready salted, 24 cheese and onion and a miserly 12 salt and vinegar! Gary Lineker, get a grip, why the lack of Salt 'n' Lineker!!
Back on track, I think you would have been well within your rights to confiscate the items you chose without payment, in effect making a citizens arrest on said corrupt items and that box should be retitled as a dishonesty box to provide an apt description of the nature of its contents. I think 30p will likely encourage further rural crime and a potential proliferation of dishonesty boxes.

Haha they were regular size. I reckon a person could live off the grid in Scotland and survive on honesty boxes for years lol. I'm sure there are hippies out there who do and are responsible for 90% of all rural crimes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net