Latest news:

Just a thought
Discussion started by Man in the Midlands (IP Logged), 27 June, 2020 11:53
Man in the Midlands
Man in the Midlands
27 June, 2020 11:53
With all the talk of restricted budgets, and smaller squads, lets look at a restructure of the lower leagues.
I suggest returning to the system of abolishing leagues one and two and having League One NORTH and SOUTH.
This would drastically reducing the cost of travel and expensive overnight stays.
As far as promotion is concerned, two up from each group with four coming down from Championship.
With relegation, the same system, two relegated from each group and four promoted from National league.
Contrivertial I know but not difficult to operate. It worked years ago why not now. Discuss.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
27 June, 2020 12:39
Won't happen, there's not much cost saving and the drop in status and prestige would be more damaging financially. I don't even think the bigger crowds argument, which some have put forward in favour of regionalisation, stacks up - Morecambe, Macc or Pompey and Ipswich?

There was talk a few weeks ago of L2 and the VNL merging and regionalising but that too seems to be from the same book of ideas as playing out the season with 45 minute matches or deciding sporting outcomes on margin for error.. smiling smiley



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/06/2020 12:47 by Aldo'smuzzy.

the kav
the kav
27 June, 2020 13:05
Couldn't agree more aldosmuzzy

nwindsor
NickNotTheGreek
27 June, 2020 14:47
Quote:
Man in the Midlands
.....As far as promotion is concerned, two up from each group with four coming down from Championship.....

If the bottom four clubs in Championship are northern based does that mean L1 NORTH take all four relegated teams and L1 SOUTH have none for following season? Can't see it working.

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost
27 June, 2020 15:02
Quote:
NickNotTheGreek
Quote:
Man in the Midlands
.....As far as promotion is concerned, two up from each group with four coming down from Championship.....

If the bottom four clubs in Championship are northern based does that mean L1 NORTH take all four relegated teams and L1 SOUTH have none for following season? Can't see it working.
The short answer is no. Teams would move between North and South based on promotions and relegations elsewhere to maintain equal numbers in each division. Northampton could be South in year 1, then shift to North for a few years, before being shunted back again. Regionalization always had 2 big drawbacks. Playoffs have sorted one of them, but the yo-yoing of teams between regions is unsolvable currently.

gary anderson
gary anderson
28 June, 2020 08:31
I think as time goes on next season the full extent of the state some clubs are in will result in a few going part time to cut costs .there are a few clubs in league 2 and league 1 who are on the breadline and struggle this unfortunate situation has only made things worse .part timeight be the only way to go for some or go out of business. More money should have fillterd it's way down from the greedy big boys but they want it all so smaller clubs will go to the wall .we are lucky we got mp but even mp admits he has to let people go .so agree or not league 2 will end up at most part time

DevonExile
DevonExile
28 June, 2020 11:56
Football may well be different in the future and not just for the lower leagues. In general there will be less money in the game. Regionalisation will not provide the answer at our level but regulation to reduce over speculative spending and a culture where clubs cut their cloth to match their resources is the key.
Too often clubs gamble on the illusionary prospect of attaining the premiership or championship. There is no obvious reason why wage inflation in the premier league should necessarily transfer lower down . The differential between EFL allocations to the Championship clubs is perverse and the reform of parachute payments would be a major step in encouraging greater prudence . In the absence of significant reforms beyond those already proposed by EFLthe answer to the future issues lies in the hands of clubs.
If those that lead clubs do not learn lessons from the fragility of their current situation they deserve to go to the wall

the kav
the kav
28 June, 2020 12:13
Kings lynn played in nln this seasom

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
28 June, 2020 12:25
Bishop's Stortford - 3 miles from Stansted airport - were in the NLN a few years ago.

Bored rover
Bored rover
28 June, 2020 13:35
Quote:
gary anderson
I think as time goes on next season the full extent of the state some clubs are in will result in a few going part time to cut costs .there are a few clubs in league 2 and league 1 who are on the breadline and struggle this unfortunate situation has only made things worse .part timeight be the only way to go for some or go out of business. More money should have fillterd it's way down from the greedy big boys but they want it all so smaller clubs will go to the wall .we are lucky we got mp but even mp admits he has to let people go .so agree or not league 2 will end up at most part time

I agree this is the beginning of a two tier professional set up in England, PL and Chmp will become a closed shop only have to look at the proposed wage caps how do normal sides cope when restricted to 2.5mil in lg1 to that huge jump in wage, they can’t so won’t bother with promotion. As it’s syncs they an build in lg1 toward Championship but that luxuary will be taken away.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
28 June, 2020 13:52
Quote:
Bored rover
I agree this is the beginning of a two tier professional set up in England, PL and Chmp will become a closed shop only have to look at the proposed wage caps how do normal sides cope when restricted to 2.5mil in lg1 to that huge jump in wage, they can’t so won’t bother with promotion. As it’s syncs they an build in lg1 toward Championship but that luxuary will be taken away.

The jump in wage (£2.5m to £18m) is easily bridged by the extra TV and commercial revenues coming in. The extra riches attracts teams to go for promotion, not put them off. That's the problem - clubs overstretch to reach those riches, and clubs relegated get a parachute that gives them a big advantage in getting back up.

Same comparison between Championship and EPL. Let's say Championship does go with £18m cap....but the lowest EPL wage bill last season was £54m!! That certainly doesn't stop Championship clubs bothering about promotion - quite the opposite.


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net