Latest news:

Released players
Discussion started by the kav (IP Logged), 26 June, 2020 11:16
the kav
the kav
26 June, 2020 11:16
I've never seen so many. There are some potential good freebies out there .... Sunderland have released 23 players.

I would try for the striker Blackpool have released whose name begins with g and I am making no attempt to try to spell

philwort
philwort
26 June, 2020 11:23
He's played for us before. Gnanduillet?

the kav
the kav
26 June, 2020 11:48
That's the chap

Uptonrover
Uptonrover
26 June, 2020 12:48
Our Premier league loanees have been released- Feeney, Borthwick-jackson, Hepburn-murphy and last seasons Shamel George.

DevonExile
DevonExile
26 June, 2020 14:39
It is a close season like no other and the numbers free is one of the reasons that. Luba will need to be hard nosed about those released. It is not simply asking how well has this player done for us, but also asking how good is this player compared to others we can get for a similar wage?
There are players who would have been nailed on certainties to have been offered a new contract in the past but with so many available it is different now

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
26 June, 2020 15:24
Looks like the salary cap will be brought in next season too, which will only add to the competition.
[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Vote on July 29.

£1.5m limit in L2, £2.5m in L1 and, if the Championship brings one in, £18m is the figure being talked about. What a gap that is.

ADD
ADD
26 June, 2020 17:26
There may be lots of them but MM's policy of a large squad of elderly veterans won't work next season - he will have to be smarter as squads will have to be smaller as if it is really coming in next season (as I understand it there is a 1 year grace period) we will struggle to bring in that many quality players at all as we have 9 high earners stuck on the books and our bargain basement squad last year would have breached the salary limit in L1 by £100k and would be £1.1m over next season in L2!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/06/2020 18:06 by ADD.

Bored rover
Bored rover
26 June, 2020 19:10
Beginnings of the de-professionalism of the 3rd and 4th tiers and commencement of the closed shop in tiers 1 and 2

MESSAGES->author
Matt34
26 June, 2020 19:43
I think Feeney would be worth a punt. He never got a good run out due to his injury, but being local I think he'd be happy to stay close to family and his height could be useful in defending corners and crosses.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

kennyspint
kennyspint
26 June, 2020 21:31
Agree deprofessianlisation of lower measures. Is this a bad thing. Debate.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
26 June, 2020 21:38
With the salary cap being accompanied by a limit on squad sizes, it allows for the average L2 wage to be £75k according to that press report. No shift to part time status on the horizon but there must be a real risk of the Championship becoming more of a closed shop. Becoming clearer why the EFL appointed the first CEO of the EPL as its chairman..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/06/2020 21:39 by Aldo'smuzzy.

DevonExile
DevonExile
27 June, 2020 10:12
Football is in flux ,Even before Covid there were signs that increasing numbers were being disenchanted. by the cynicism of premier league football . The bargaining position of clubs has declined and there will be less money in the system. Undoubtedly one consequence will be the wealthier clubs restricting further the flow down the pyramid? It is hard to see Parry championing the needs of Div 1 and 2.. Work permit measures may reduce the import of overseas players
All this separates the top two tiers . I doubt that it will become a literal closed shop but it will be an economic closed shop.
In reality that has been the case for most clubs for many years., where the chance of consolidating a promotion from Div1 is low. .So,I am not sure that any of the changes for us will necessarily be bad. With the exception of a period when we lived well beyond our means we have spent all our time in the lower reaches. The distance prospect of high level promotion added a touch of wishful thinking but no more than that. I have watched Rovers for 70 years and in that time the football may not always have been as skilful but it was no less entertaining for that. Remembering how close we have been to oblivion and those years without league status, there could be much to be said for playing in lower leagues where the majority of clubs have to exercise fiscal responsibility.
Call me crazy but I enjoy lower league football far more than the hyped up prestige competitions

I

Prenton Pirate
Prenton Pirate
27 June, 2020 10:41
Quote:
Uptonrover
Our Premier league loanees have been released- Feeney, Borthwick-jackson, Hepburn-murphy and last seasons Shamel George.

Would sign Hepburn-Murphy as he looked promising. Remember the hat-trick at MK. Gnandulet will be looking for a bigger deal than we can give him. As for signing another centre-half we already have Clarke, Ray, Nelson and Monthe and as much as I would like to sign Ellis that's more than enough. Especially if we operate with a smaller squad.

Man in the Midlands
Man in the Midlands
30 June, 2020 15:39
We must remember that although we have players under contract, that does not mean they will all stay. There will be offers and every player has his price. Monthe is one I feel will be tempted away and possibly Davis

the kav
the kav
30 June, 2020 17:15
You trying to cheer me up man in the midlands? I make no secret of the fact that I feel scottie is overrated. Would have the lad from posh ( been released) over him anyday

Tranmere2003
Tranmere2003
30 June, 2020 20:08
I rated all of them players and they will thrive for us next season if we sign them, we’ll be straight back in league 1

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net