Latest news:

MP exclusive interview, Telegraph 22/5
Discussion started by Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged), 22 May, 2020 23:02
Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
22 May, 2020 23:02
Must admit I'm not convinced his alternative plan will get anywhere but he's come out fighting. From the Telegraph:

Mark Palios has promised that he and Tranmere Rovers will fight against the recommendation of the EFL board that would relegate the club if the League One season has to be curtailed.

Legal action will be among the possible avenues for owner Palios to pursue if Tranmere are relegated on a points-per-game basis in the event of clubs voting to curtail the season.

He would not confirm whether he will take the legal option, but branded the justification that relegation is ‘integral to the integrity of the pyramid’ as “a lazy analysis and convenient soundbite.”

The EFL on Thursday recommended that if clubs vote in favour of curtailing the season, then promotion, relegation and play-off places will be determined by points-per-game. That would mean third-from-bottom Tranmere would be relegated to League Two, even though they are just three points behind Wimbledon, over whom they have a game in hand. 

Given Tranmere had also won three successive games, all away from home, before the League One season was suspended because of the coronavirus outbreak, their relegation would be seen as the biggest injustice of any curtailment scenario.

“You can’t underestimate the strength of feeling that is currently running through the club and I think it’s a strength of feeling that I don’t think will go away until the sense of injustice goes away,” said Palios. “My first response to it is anger.

“I’m trying to gather more information from the EFL so I understand the process and, in particular, the timing of that process. Once I understand that, I can understand what all the options are to ensure we protect the interest of Tranmere Rovers Football Club.

“We’re not prepared to just take that [relegation] lying down and I wouldn’t think that anyone would expect me to do that. The cost of a legal action would pale into insignificance in comparison to the impact on the club.”

The EFL board have asked for clubs to consider its recommendations ahead of a vote and Palios has responded by making an alternative proposal that would see clubs win promotion and compete in an expanded play-off format, while voiding relegation if the season is curtailed.

“This isn’t a board decision and that gives me some sort of opportunity,” said Palios. “It says clubs can consider it and I have crafted and sent in my response to the statement, together with a detailed and fleshed out alternative proposal which is the one I announced last week.

“I will be asking for copies of the board minutes if I can have them. I need to know on something as serious as this for the club, on what basis was the decision made? With all due respect to the EFL, I don’t think setting the points out and then in a note to editors referring to three or four sections of the regulations is really adequate communication. And certainly not when one club in particular could get sacrificed.”

Former Football Association chief executive Palios does not accept the view of his former employers that relegation must take place across all divisions to protect the integrity of the football pyramid, which has been repeated as justification by the EFL.
“Why would you take an option that severely damages a club in a situation where everybody in football is already facing a financial debacle,” said Palios. “You’ve made it worse for one club, so why would you do that?

“I think it’s instructive that when you read the EFL statement there is absolutely no mention of fairness. That’s because it reflects probably the reality of it. And that is inconsistent with, for example, the decision of the League Two clubs who didn’t want to relegate the bottom club because of fairness.

“It’s also inconsistent with the stance of the FA, when they looked at a situation with steps three to seven and came to the conclusion it was unfair to relegate clubs. So there is an inconsistency in what they say and no hint of fairness.”

Tranmere’s alternative proposal would see the potential for expanded EFL divisions next season with the possibility for more than one relegation to and from the National League in future.

“Our proposal enhances and supports the pyramid, rather than taking what I would call a lazy analysis and a convenient soundbite that relegation is core to the integrity of the pyramid,” said 67-year-old Palios. “That soundbite has been parroted by the EFL as a justification in our particular case and it’s the parroting of it by the EFL that concerns me.”

Palios did not want to speculate on whether there would be any human cost, in terms of jobs, to Tranmere being relegated and stressed the club are on a sound financial footing. But asked to explain what going down to League Two would mean for the club, he said: “It isn’t so much the cash, it’s the League One status.

“The cash is very material in terms of what hits us, because it’s not just losing the central payments, it’s the sponsorships that are hit and a lot of other things. You can look at that and make a loss assessment for that. But the big question is for how many years? It might take us 10 years to get back into League One and I could be dead.”

Loyden1
Loyden1
22 May, 2020 23:10
Some statement that aldo . Its enough to give the efl gang a few sleepless nights. He couldnt be more clearer wanting to fight for us

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
22 May, 2020 23:37
Too right Loyden.
Interesting he's keen to dig into the minutes, find out who, what and why is behind the EFL proposal. Very political.

Viking Tranmere
Crazylegs Cranebird
23 May, 2020 13:04
Its Palios vs Parry

We need Palios to get the FA behind us. The FA imposed on the EFL (or should I say Parry) the Bolton decision - which they didnt like.

He did raise the important point of League 2 looking after Stevenage.

The FA can make a very simple move to fix this: because of the unprecedented nature of events, they could make the bold move of saying only 1 or 2 teams are relegated from the Premier this season, meaning an expansion to 21/22 clubs, and then gradually adjust down again, as they did about 10 years ago. Something which the lower reach teams in the Premier, Charlton, Stevenage and ourselves would benefit.

The Premier League would benefit because there would be more games they can televise for next season.

Not sure if Mark & Nicola reads these our posts here.

TRFC is #8 on Wirral's new Viking Trail
[www.facebook.com] 👊👊

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
23 May, 2020 13:35
God help them if they do!

The leagues (EPL, EFL, NL) are the competition organisers and are making their own decisions on the season. The FA merely have to approve (or can veto) whatever decision they reach. There are some red lines the FA have already indicated they won't accept (such as the concept of no relegation at all from EPL, under the tripartite arrangement between EPL, EFL and FA) but, in general, the leagues have the flexibility and autonomy to decide for themselves. Rightly so.

And the FA imposed nothing on Parry re Bolton. The EFL merely referred the matter to the independent disciplinary panel, under a process that's prescribed within the EFL rules, and applied their ruling.

Bored rover
Bored rover
23 May, 2020 14:11
I’ve said on linked topic I suspect he is acutely aware that public appeal and media pressure is the only way to secure our status, I don’t believe legal action is an option for the club financially, it would be extremely drawn out, costly and would likely not be decided until deep into next year by Court for Sports arbitration probably either after the season starts or so close to it commencing that we would in any case have to prepare a squad based on league 2 income. You tend to only win cases their if you have more funds than the body whose decision you are challenging. It’s very much a closed shop.

Viking Tranmere
Crazylegs Cranebird
23 May, 2020 14:21
Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy
God help them if they do!
The leagues (EPL, EFL, NL) are the competition organisers and are making their own decisions on the season. The FA merely have to approve (or can veto) whatever decision they reach. There are some red lines the FA have already indicated they won't accept (such as the concept of no relegation at all from EPL, under the tripartite arrangement between EPL, EFL and FA) but, in general, the leagues have the flexibility and autonomy to decide for themselves. Rightly so.

And the FA imposed nothing on Parry re Bolton. The EFL merely referred the matter to the independent disciplinary panel, under a process that's prescribed within the EFL rules, and applied their ruling.

Isnt the EPL the FA Premier League? That's what it was set up as by Dyke & co in 1992?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/05/2020 14:22 by Crazylegs Cranebird.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
23 May, 2020 14:42
Quote:
Crazylegs Cranebird
Isnt the EPL the FA Premier League? That's what it was set up as by Dyke & co in 1992?

No, they're separate. The EPL is explained here: [www.premierleague.com]

Dyke was at ITV in 1992. He joined the FA in 2013.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/05/2020 14:44 by Aldo'smuzzy.

Viking Tranmere
Crazylegs Cranebird
23 May, 2020 16:30
Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy
Quote:
Crazylegs Cranebird

No, they're separate. The EPL is explained here: [www.premierleague.com]

Dyke was at ITV in 1992. He joined the FA in 2013.

They must have split then. Because it was set up by the FA in 1992.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
23 May, 2020 17:10
It was set up with the backing of the FA and under the auspices of the FA but it's always been run autonomously, even though it had "FA" in its title for a number of years. As mentioned earlier the FA does have a veto on the big decisions such as rule changes, which is what enabled them to weigh in recently when they insisted that the principle of relegation from the EPL must remain.

Viking Tranmere
Crazylegs Cranebird
23 May, 2020 17:51
Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy
It was set up with the backing of the FA and under the auspices of the FA but it's always been run autonomously, even though it had "FA" in its title for a number of years. As mentioned earlier the FA does have a veto on the big decisions such as rule changes, which is what enabled them to weigh in recently when they insisted that the principle of relegation from the EPL must remain.

Thanks. If relegating just one or two teams is still consistent within that principle, that might help our cause

TRFC is #8 on Wirral's new Viking Trail
[www.facebook.com] 👊👊

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
23 May, 2020 18:12
I thought that too, CC. But now that Palios' plan involves no relegation I'm not so sure. For that reason, plus the fact that he'd have 25 or 26 team divisions, I don't think his plan will get very far.

I do think we've got a good grievance but not a good plan B. Although a compromise somewhere in between the EFL's proposal and Palios' plan B might just be good enough to save us anyway. In which case plan B might be good enough after all!

philwort
philwort
23 May, 2020 19:52
We shall triumph over the scumbag

SmartRover
SmartRover
23 May, 2020 21:03
I think Mark & Nicola need to speak ASAP with BBC Sport, I’ve just read a totally biased piece they are running on why Wimbledon chairman thinks it’s now the right time to vote to end the season, amazingly the article never mentions that by voting it through this saves the Dons and sends us into oblivion, underhand skullduggery in the nicest terms, we need to jump on the same bandwagon and get the true message across, it’s clearly getting dirty and teams around us are running scared, it’s dog eat dog so time Rover found his bone to chew !!!!

kennyspint
kennyspint
24 May, 2020 00:12
Just saying but we don't know when EFL football will resume and if it is past June 30th what the contracts with our players will be. Maybe , just maybe what money we have when football starts again will buy more success in League 2 than League 1

DevonExile
DevonExile
24 May, 2020 13:53
Both league one and two finances will be all over the place so it is hard to guess whether we have more success in div2. The threshold of success is different. As many of us recognised at the start of this season , staying in Div 1 represents success but from div 2 it is defined by getting promotion
MP has made a good case in difficult circumstances but one of the weaknesses of his current proposal is that it would any increase in the number in a division means an increase in fixtures. Not the best prospect when no one knows when next season will start and finish

Bored rover
Bored rover
24 May, 2020 14:47
They won’t adopt his ideas it’s all political trying to garner support around but no chance will anyone’s in the bottom half vote to play on and little chance of much else support. Probably also a hint of considering future CAS appeal having said they pointed out a fairer way and weren’t listened too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net