Latest news:

Bangor city v Atletico madrid 1985/1986 - Mark palios
Discussion started by the baldy one (IP Logged), 08 April, 2020 10:47
the baldy one
the baldy one
08 April, 2020 10:47
Hi - Lads - I have just been watching highlights of some football games on youtube and i came across Bangor city v Atletico madrid in the now defunct european cup winners cup in 1985-1986. the reason i mention this is because playing for bangor city was mark palios and also 3 other ex tranmere players in dai davies, neville powell and ian mcmullen. atletico won 2-0 but i seem to remember quite a lot of tranmere players at that time used to go and play in the welsh league. dai davies actually came out of retirement to play in goal for bangor city , as tranmere rovers was his last club. plus if i am correct - neville powell went on to be manager of bangor city for a number of years. also if any tranmere fan remembers - mark palios was a snappy midfielder in his day who could score the odd goal or two.

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover
08 April, 2020 11:07
i remember going to Bangor in 1984 when Rovers played there in the FA Cup 1st round...McMullen saved us that day with his goal in a 1-1 draw, we got lucky that day on their sloping pitch...in typical fashion, i missed the replay at Prenton when we won 7-0.

the baldy one
the baldy one
08 April, 2020 12:23
Hong kong rover - I remember the two games we had v bangor city very clearly. you are correct - ian mcmullen was one of our reserve strikers at the time, but he got picked to play v bangor city and as you say saved us in a 1-1 draw. i actually went to the replay were we won 7-0 and colin clarke got a hatrick i think. also a few months later, we beat peterborough united 7-0 as well and i went to that one also were ian muir got 4 goals. just going back to bangor city - in the 1980s i always used to think they were quite a decent team. every time i checked they always seemed to be either top of the welsh league or near the top.

Loyden1
Loyden1
08 April, 2020 14:45
Quote:
hong kong rover
i remember going to Bangor in 1984 when Rovers played there in the FA Cup 1st round...McMullen saved us that day with his goal in a 1-1 draw, we got lucky that day on their sloping pitch...in typical fashion, i missed the replay at Prenton when we won 7-0.
plenty of action in the local pubs that day !

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
08 April, 2020 16:32
That old sloping pitch is now an Asda!

Just a minor point, back in the 80s Bangor were still in the English system. Moved into the new Welsh system in the early 90s. As baldy says, they were one of the top Welsh teams at the time.

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover
08 April, 2020 16:39
their old ground was called Farrar Road and it sloped across the pitch, not lengthwise.. i remember the Bangor manager back then was the old Wales international midfielder John Mahoney.

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover
08 April, 2020 16:45
after beating Bangor in a replay we were rewarded with a home tie vs Hull City in the next round..there was tons of aggro inside Prenton that day, the worst violence i have ever seen inside Prenton, it was absolute chaos in the main stand, i witnessed it all from the Borough Rd..Hardly anyone in the ground was watching the game, we were all focused on events in the main stand, lol..

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover
08 April, 2020 16:51
Another game at Prenton that was bad for crowd aggro was the FA Cup game vs Huddersfield in 1980...quite a few of them Yorkshire t*ssers running amok outside the ground.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net