Latest news:

Johnny King
Discussion started by hong kong rover (IP Logged), 30 March, 2020 05:41
MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover
30 March, 2020 05:41
4 years to the day that the great man passed away...

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13
30 March, 2020 09:14
what a man.

completely unconstrained by standard formations. he was playing a really lopsided sweeper system in the old 3rd division with a right winger and non on the left.

his defining games for me where the villa semi final games. glorious to begin with and then a glorious failure at the end.

the villa two legged tie was totemic for king really. he was up against ron atkinson widely regarded as one the best managers of his generation and one of the most respected football brains in the country. villa had been running united very close in the league. king switched from his at the time usual 442 and brought out mark hughes to reprise his sweeper role. hughes was the type of defender you'd call swashbuckling. it flummoxed a very good villa side, and atkinson did not have an answer.

but it all ended in a typical tranmere-esque failure in the second leg. the o'brien free kick has to down as our greatest nearly moments. and along with tommy coyne is one of the great what-ifs of tranmere history.

"i can't promise you success, but i can promise you a trip to the moon"

that is one of the great sporting quotes, as a fan how can you not be inspired by that? and he delivered - a moon shot of preposterous ambition. we never quite made it but what a journey.

one of the greatest stains on our fan base is that after one season of mid table football the fans turned on him and there were regular protests of people staying behind games to call for his head in the stands and the carpark. he was well regarded in the game: in a 442 magazine poll of league managers they voted him as the 11th greatest manager of all time, but we couldn't grant him one average season in what is now the championship. in the end we didn't deserve him.

mr king thank you for the trip to the moon, it was beautiful

mogsysmullet
mogsysmullet
30 March, 2020 10:56
long live the king! I started going in the 1992/93 season and that was the football I was accustomed to! so needless to say i was spoilt when i first started going the games by the time i arrived at the Dave Watson, Rob Edwards, Micky Adams and Brabin style of football! I was there at the baseball ground 1996 with the prenton puops, we got beat 6-2 and Kingy got sacked and my Dad said to me "that's the end of that son we'll never see the likes of King again" fast forward nearly 25 years later and he was right. MM has brought success in the form of 2 promotions that have got us back to where we were 5 years ago but should we have fallen so low? is it success getting back where we were?. King is the greatest manager we've had followed by MM. King gave me some of the best players to pull on the rovers shirt and the football we played was simply breath-taking I completely agree with above comments from MrGr33n13 "in the end we didn't deserve him" so true my friend, so very, very true.

Prenton Pirate
Prenton Pirate
30 March, 2020 11:22
To think we were only a few games away from what's now the Money grabbers league. Seems light years away now and almost unbelievable.
I started watching in the late seventies and had seen some@#$%&along the way and jumped aboard ship on Kingy's ride to the moon, great football, great players to watch. I remember having the most boring job at the time and couldn't wait to get out on Friday for a home game. I remember his last home game v Crystal Palace, being 2-0 up and not won for a while, losing 3-2 and the knives were out for him, It felt awful to hear. It just goes to show that even your best manager has his "you don't know what you're doing" moment. We definitely didn't deserve him, thanks Kingy.

Marlow!'s foot
Marlow!'s foot
30 March, 2020 14:39
A good few years ago I saw him in Royden Park walking his dogs. I was that shocked to see him when he said " good morning " I became a gibbering wreck, just managing to say hello. I wish I could have told him what joy he had brought to my football life.

Tranman
Tranman
30 March, 2020 16:25
Quote:
Marlow!'s foot
A good few years ago I saw him in Royden Park walking his dogs. I was that shocked to see him when he said " good morning " I became a gibbering wreck, just managing to say hello. I wish I could have told him what joy he had brought to my football life.

I unreservedly agree with all the above.

DevonExile
DevonExile
30 March, 2020 21:55
King was undoubtedly a legend both as a player and a manager. So much so that Aldridge never got the credit he deserved for extending our time in div 1 despite having to work with a much reduced budget

MESSAGES->author
Matt34
30 March, 2020 22:45
Aldo's handling of Alan Mahon though didn't help matters and the two games I think to Grimsby and Barnsley that the team surrendered, if I recall correctly, caused him to say I've had enough.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

LongStandingFan
LongStandingFan
31 March, 2020 00:36
Johnny King was a great manager and a solid player for TRFC, and I am glad to say that I had the luck to have had him as my PE Teacher when he was still a player at Port Vale. He would have been around 33/34 years old at the time and I was about 14. He was really encouraging and positive, but I made the error one time of trying to tackle him, and I apparently seemed to have caught him around the ankle-ish area,...I won't tell you what was actually said, but I got the impression that he wasn't best pleased with me.,lol.
A great guy who I have a lot of respect for, and fond memories of.

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover
31 March, 2020 03:27
Quote:
LongStandingFan
Johnny King was a great manager and a solid player for TRFC, and I am glad to say that I had the luck to have had him as my PE Teacher when he was still a player at Port Vale. He would have been around 33/34 years old at the time and I was about 14. He was really encouraging and positive, but I made the error one time of trying to tackle him, and I apparently seemed to have caught him around the ankle-ish area,...I won't tell you what was actually said, but I got the impression that he wasn't best pleased with me.,lol.
A great guy who I have a lot of respect for, and fond memories of.

Nice one LSF

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover
31 March, 2020 03:33
Will always treasure and remember his immense feeling of pride after beating Bolton in play off final..Never to be forgotten.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/03/2020 03:42 by hong kong rover.

the baldy one
the baldy one
31 March, 2020 08:34
Here is a strange fact about johnny king - In 1958 Tottenham Hotspur beat Everton 10-4 at white hart lane in division one. this is still everton football clubs biggest ever defeat in their history and johnny king played in that match for everton.

Prenton Pirate
Prenton Pirate
31 March, 2020 11:39
Quote:
Matt34
Aldo's handling of Alan Mahon though didn't help matters and the two games I think to Grimsby and Barnsley that the team surrendered, if I recall correctly, caused him to say I've had enough.

I remember the Barnsley game. 2-0 up and tykes manager Nigel Spackman made two attacking subs which Aldo failed to counter and lost 3-2 or drew 2-2. I always thought Aldo was a great motivator more than a tactician and this was a good example.

gloucester white
gloucester white
31 March, 2020 18:47
Yes cheers Kingy. Didn't realise it was 4 years since he passed, seems like longer. I began supporting rovers in the late 60's but don't remember him as a player. It was fantastic when he came back to the club in 1987 and kept us in the league. The 89/90 season was my favourite ever as a rovers fan. We were unstoppable and hit the ground running after promotion the previous season. Still can't believe we never went up that season. Let's also not forget the 75/76 season when we regularly blitzed teams at home in our promotion season. Ronnie Moore converted to a striker who theƱ gets 37 goals! Happy days.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34
31 March, 2020 21:20
Quote:
Prenton Pirate
Quote:
Matt34

I remember the Barnsley game. 2-0 up and tykes manager Nigel Spackman made two attacking subs which Aldo failed to counter and lost 3-2 or drew 2-2. I always thought Aldo was a great motivator more than a tactician and this was a good example.

Both games were 2-0 to Tranmere at one point that ended up 3-2 defeats didn't they.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net