Latest news:

Forum User Names
Discussion started by Marlow!'s foot (IP Logged), 25 March, 2020 07:41
Marlow!'s foot
Marlow!'s foot
25 March, 2020 07:41
Several centuries ago I used to play in the Wallasey Junior League. We had a young lad who's name was Eddie Marlow who, in a game, stubbed his foot in the turf while trying to shoot. He yelled out " me " effing " foot." It was not the done thing in those days for kids to swear on the field and his dad came on the pitch and dragged him off. For some reason the memory has stayed with me and I decided to use his name on the forum. Any story behind your user name.

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69
25 March, 2020 10:28
First saw a Rovers game In 1969.Yours is more imaginative!☺

This is @#$%&
This is sh1t
25 March, 2020 11:28
I tried to create an new account several times but for some reason I had no success.
Finally I changed the username to this is @#$%& as I was getting p1ssed off - and of course that worked...

the baldy one
the baldy one
25 March, 2020 11:58
Yes - i know from time to time i can be a bit controversial, my user name comes from the fact about once a month i shave my head so its a like skinhead/bald so hence the user name.

Loyden1
Loyden1
25 March, 2020 12:45
Mine after Eddie loyden who scored in the famous Victory at arsenal

Hampshire White
Hampshire White
25 March, 2020 12:52
I've lived in Hampshire for over 25 years after leaving the RAF

Uglybob
Uglybob
25 March, 2020 13:23
Mine is self evident !!

mogsysmullet
mogsysmullet
25 March, 2020 13:33
I went to my first Rovers game in 1992 v Birmingham city we won 4-0 Aldo scored 2 as did Kenny Irons I can't remember who got the other but Johnny Morrisey and pat nevin were our wingers. What a midfield we had then what a team even! Great time to start going the games got me hooked on the rovers. Regarding Morrisey The man flew down the wing, Later on around 97-99 I just remember him having an all year round tan but his mop of hair as he raced down the wing made him my favourite player at the time hence my user name.

Tommy Egg
Tommy Egg
25 March, 2020 14:06
Circe 1958 paying 1 old shilling to stand in the front row on the half way line on the former Borough
Road terrace ( getting to the ground an hour before kick off ) and watching the brilliant Tommy
Egglington flying down the wing with the waft of Elleman 's Rub in his wake !

Loyden1
Loyden1
25 March, 2020 14:32
Quote:
Tommy Egg
Circe 1958 paying 1 old shilling to stand in the front row on the half way line on the former Borough
Road terrace ( getting to the ground an hour before kick off ) and watching the brilliant Tommy
great penalty taker don't think he missed any

Beamish Screamer
Beamish Screamer
25 March, 2020 15:07
I was at school with Ken Beamish's brother which is why I started following Rovers. Ken was known for his shooting, although not always on target, but occasionally scored a screamer

TimmySoft
TimmySoft
25 March, 2020 15:36
Mine is not a reference to my anatomy

warren r
Wozza
25 March, 2020 16:24
Mines boring like me my name is warren so people called me wozza in school so I went for that because I have know imagination

Tommy Egg
Tommy Egg
25 March, 2020 17:20
Quote:
Loyden1
Quote:
Tommy Egg
great penalty taker don't think he missed any

Afraid I don't remember his pens but I think of George Payne in his green roll neck G K Jersey and buying pear drops at his sweet shop near Dacre Hill before going to the Regal Picture House ( now Tescos) .

Toffeehater
Toffeehater
25 March, 2020 17:29
Can't stand the blue sh#te lol

mill park white
mill park white
25 March, 2020 18:14
Quote:
Tranmere69
First saw a Rovers game In 1969.Yours is more imaginative!☺

Ditto - first game Tranmere v Barrow October 1969. 5-0 win and I was hooked.
Brought up on the Mill Park Estate, used to get the 41 bus with the old man, from the Rake pub and change at Bromborough Cross for the 28 up to Rock Ferry. Happy days, a long time ago.

DevonExile
DevonExile
25 March, 2020 20:39
My first game was 1949 and DevonExile reflects 52 years away from the Wirral .The body ages but the passion for Rovers remains unchanged despite my periodic bouts of congenital pessimism

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13
25 March, 2020 20:43
picked the screenname of the end-boss of the variant of poker i play

mrGr33n13 was the screen name of dan colman. he was the daddy of the online $1000-$5000 heads up single table tournaments. he could make and break poker careers, lead a cartel of players that had the high stakes tables locked down. was a top trash talker too.

he quit after winning a ridic sum playing live, but he was a legend in the format before solvers took over.

Dupak
Dupak
25 March, 2020 20:59
Mine is a very poor acronym from a football related song by Birkenhead's finest HMHB. I occasionally wear the shirt to away matches. Answers on a postcard please.

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13
25 March, 2020 21:17
have you found the proper transformer yet?

mill park white
mill park white
25 March, 2020 21:36
Quote:
Dupak
Mine is a very poor acronym from a football related song by Birkenhead's finest HMHB. I occasionally wear the shirt to away matches. Answers on a postcard please.

Great band, great track, second only to Knobheads on Quiz Shows. So that acronym would be koqs. May change my user name to that!

jim rockford
jim rockford
25 March, 2020 22:24
Der der didler der
You know the rest

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/03/2020 22:26 by jim rockford.

jal jal
jal jal
25 March, 2020 23:12
Mine is my initials I wanted jal but someone else had it so I was informed so I changed it to jal jal
I first saw Lincoln v Tanmere on 26 Dec 1946 City won 2-1 it was the day after Tranmere had beaten City on 25 Dec 1946 5-2 in Div 3 North
And I've followed both teams ever since.
Then decided to join this site on 15 April 2008

MESSAGES->author
Phil65
25 March, 2020 23:20
Phil (unimaginative), 65 dual purpose; used to be the minimum grade to pass an exam and was also an aspirational target to reach retirement (should be Phil67 now the bar stewards!!). I've always been driven!
Gotta feel for HKR who might feel a bit left out on this one 😀

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/03/2020 23:23 by Phil65.

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover
26 March, 2020 00:39
Quote:
Phil65
Phil (unimaginative), 65 dual purpose; used to be the minimum grade to pass an exam and was also an aspirational target to reach retirement (should be Phil67 now the bar stewards!!). I've always been driven!
Gotta feel for HKR who might feel a bit left out on this one 😀

lol nice one phil.

Yiggo
Yiggsy
26 March, 2020 00:52
Quote:
the baldy one
Yes - i know from time to time i can be a bit controversial, my user name comes from the fact about once a month i shave my head so its a like skinhead/bald so hence the user name.

just a suggestion... set your shaver to a less harsh setting so it just does your bonce instead of shaving half your brain off every month.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/03/2020 00:54 by Yiggsy.

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover
26 March, 2020 01:11
Doogies Ghost - come on Doogie, i've been meaning to ask you for ages, whats with your user name?

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover
26 March, 2020 01:14
Quote:
Yiggsy
Quote:
the baldy one

just a suggestion... set your shaver to a less harsh setting so it just does your bonce instead of shaving half your brain off every month.

lol

Viking Tranmere
Crazylegs Cranebird
26 March, 2020 08:04
Quote:
Beamish Screamer
I was at school with Ken Beamish's brother which is why I started following Rovers. Ken was known for his shooting, although not always on target, but occasionally scored a screamer

Ken Beamish did his apprenticeship at Victory Kidder and my Grandfather was his foreman. Through that I was able to get all the autographs of the Tranmere team - including, Cumbes, Yardley & Johnny King.
In 1968-69 we played played Chester 4 times in the League Cup. I dont think Ken played in one of the away games - it might have been the 1st game (0-0 at Sealand Road) and I remember being behind the goal in the away end with him and his brother(s?) in front of me. 52 years ago so my guess is he must now be about 70!

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost
26 March, 2020 08:31
Quote:
hong kong rover
Doogies Ghost - come on Doogie, i've been meaning to ask you for ages, whats with your user name?
Well, since you asked nicely. This is my third login on the site - I kept losing passwords. The first referenced something said to us about Dougie Anderson many years ago by a Scottish player (hence Doogie), the second was also a reference to that same player, but this time to his lack of ability. I drifted around without a login for a while then resurfaced as Doogie's Ghost both because I was back from limbo and his ability to completely disappear during games. Of course, it has a slightly different connotation now, since his death, but the user name predates that. Not as interesting as it could have been, sorry!

Zint
Zint
26 March, 2020 09:06
My nickname since 1974.

ming05
ming05
26 March, 2020 10:17
Ming the merciless and first came here in 2005. /06

Beamish Screamer
Beamish Screamer
26 March, 2020 11:44
Ken is 72 apparently. I think he had at least 3 brothers, I was at school with the youngest Gary

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades
26 March, 2020 12:45
Ken had 5 brothers I think, Gary, David (who I went to school with), Geoff (who sits with his family in the JK Stand), Alan and unfortunately can't remember the final one.

Loyden1
Loyden1
26 March, 2020 13:33
Quote:
Beamish Screamer
Ken is 72 apparently. I think he had at least 3 brothers, I was at school with the youngest Gary
I remember his mum iris she was stewardess of the stork club in Bromborough

gloucester white
gloucester white
26 March, 2020 17:41
Refers to my current residence - exiled from Prenton since 2008. Not strictly accurate though as I'm in south Gloucestershire and no, I haven't adapted FGR as my second team!
First game was in July 1968 against Liverpool lost 0-3, Watford 1969 lost 0-3 and Luton 1969 lost 0-2. I didn't actually see us win or even score until the opening game of the 69/70 season when we beat Stockport 3-0 and I distinctly remember the late, great George Yardley scoring with a header down at the cowshed end.

Temple Road
Temple Road
26 March, 2020 18:36
Temple Road is about 200 m from the back of the Cowshed end of the ground. It was also the other name of my old school Prenton Boys( Temple Road Boys)

Keep the Faith

Yardleys Cat
Yardleys Cat
26 March, 2020 19:49
After watching a horrific open goal miss, someone shouted ‘George Yardley wouldn’t have missed’, a further shout was ‘George Yardley's cat wouldn’t have missed’. It somehow stuck with me.

Loyden1
Loyden1
26 March, 2020 20:19
Quote:
Yardleys Cat
After watching a horrific open goal miss, someone shouted ‘George Yardley wouldn’t have missed’, a further shout was ‘George Yardley's cat wouldn’t have missed’. It somehow stuck with me.
ha ha nice1. George was not only a great goalscorer but a great man .I new him for years he loved coming in an old pub of mine

Johnny_kings_cake
Johnny_kings_cake
26 March, 2020 21:37
Don't really have to explain mine I'm sure but for the few youngsters....

Our greatest ever manager explaining how he builds a team

“Building a football team is like baking a cake. If you get the ingredients right, it rises perfectly in the oven and tastes perfect. But if you get the ingredients wrong, it will go flat and stodgy and be inedible.”

Viking Tranmere
Crazylegs Cranebird
26 March, 2020 23:08
Quote:
gloucester white
Refers to my current residence - exiled from Prenton since 2008. Not strictly accurate though as I'm in south Gloucestershire and no, I haven't adapted FGR as my second team!
First game was in July 1968 against Liverpool lost 0-3, Watford 1969 lost 0-3 and Luton 1969 lost 0-2. I didn't actually see us win or even score until the opening game of the 69/70 season when we beat Stockport 3-0 and I distinctly remember the late, great George Yardley scoring with a header down at the cowshed end.

Video from that 1st game (taken by my Dad!):
[www.youtube.com]

TRFC is #8 on Wirral's new Viking Trail
[www.facebook.com] 👊👊

EBAWB
EBAWB
27 March, 2020 06:17
Started going to watch Tranmere in 1967. Stood on the Kop originally but infuriatingly, I can't actually remember my first game. I've narrowed it down to a few games on the run in to promotion. Obviously I was a glory seeker! When I transferred to the Paddock in front of the main stand adjacent to the cowsheds, a guy with a booming loud voice used to shout "Every ball's a white ball" at periodic stages throughout the game. Hence the acronym.

Every ball's a white ball

goosed
goosed
27 March, 2020 07:43
Mine is simple i get goosed wen i go running lol

gloucester white
gloucester white
27 March, 2020 08:49
That's brilliant cranebird, cheers. Looks like you dad filmed the game from the corner if the kop. Don't remember much about that Liverpool match at all. I was just a nipper and spent most of the game playing tick with my mate in the kop end!

Yardleys Cat
Yardleys Cat
27 March, 2020 09:44
Quote:
Loyden1
Quote:
Yardleys Cat
ha ha nice1. George was not only a great goalscorer but a great man .I new him for years he loved coming in an old pub of mine

I remember seeing George having a quiet drink in a pub in near Chester in mid/late 80s. I went over and said hello and the man was so humble and down to earth. We spent about ten minutes chatting and said he was genuinely surprised that someone had recognised him. Wonderful man both on and off the pitch. For the life of me though, I can’t remember which pub it was.

TwelfthofMay-ResurrectionDay
27 March, 2020 13:36
May the twelfth 2018 - one of the most agonisingly wonderful football days ever (and there have been a few).

That moment when Conor J crossed for His Lordship to just get his head to it enough for the ball to slip through the keeper's fingers...

...and ripple the net

YESSSSSSSSSSSS!

warren r
Wozza
27 March, 2020 16:00
Quote:
May the twelfth 2018 - one of the most agonisingly wonderful football days ever (and there have been a few).
That moment when Conor J crossed for His Lordship to just get his head to it enough for the ball to slip through the keeper's fingers...

...and ripple the net

YESSSSSSSSSSSS!
what rollercoaster of a day unbelievable so many emotions don’t think we’ll ever see a game like that ever amazing think I’ll watch the highlights again for the millionth time 👍🙌

28 March, 2020 13:48
Yeah Wozza, think I will too.

For the million-and-first time!

I'd been following these boards for some time, but it was that day, when the beloved Whites once again became a football league team, that persuaded me to sign up properly.

Kentexile
Kentexile
31 March, 2020 00:16
Can't remember. My name's not Ken and I've never really been into textiles.

Tranman
Tranman
31 March, 2020 17:08
Tranman, says it all.

01 April, 2020 09:32
Went back and watched highlights v Borehamwood yet again.

One day I'm gonna be watching, and the keeper will save the bloody thing after his Nordship's header, it'll go to extra time and penalties, and we'll probably lose.

Naaah, just a covidnightmare....

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13
01 April, 2020 10:36
if you want the full broadcast you can d/load it here, alongside the full newport game:

[www.dropbox.com]

MESSAGES->author
Matt34
01 April, 2020 21:02
Quote:
Tranman
Tranman, says it all.

What you mean you like to wear feminine clobber at weekends (Sm7)

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net