Discussion started by kennyspint (IP Logged), 06 February, 2020 23:58
kennyspint
kennyspint
06 February, 2020 23:58
My opinion

mill park white
mill park white
07 February, 2020 00:14
Agree entirely. Not so long ago we were in freefall from Div 1 to Div 2 then to that pub league - mainly because we kept changing managers and had no stability.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
07 February, 2020 00:17
+1

As things stand (though I know things can quickly change), I'm quite happy for him to lead us into next season, regardless of division.

Rover 75
Rover 75
08 February, 2020 11:19
I think Mickey has done a very creditable job with no money to make any interventions in the transfer market. When Dave Russel spent £10,000 on Bernard Evans from Oxford, it was the equivalent of £250,000 today,and Johnny King was able to splash £300,000 on Gary Bennett, neither were outstanding successes. What might Mickey achieve with those sort of funds.

Bored rover
Bored rover
08 February, 2020 16:14
We could have Micky out end and a Micky in end, 🤣

MESSAGES->author
Matt34
08 February, 2020 22:47
Tranmere's budget wouldn't stretch to a £300,000 signing arguably and that's in today's money.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

kennyspint
kennyspint
08 February, 2020 22:53
Too right Matt

Muir the merrier
Muir the merrier
08 February, 2020 23:09
Who in their right mind would even consider giving Mellon £300,000 for a signing unless there was a 28 day full refund guaranteed.

At the moment he looks a broken man after his post match interview.....the joys of football management when it starts to go horribly wrong.

Zint
Zint
09 February, 2020 04:06
Quote:
Rover 75
I think Mickey has done a very creditable job with no money to make any interventions in the transfer market. When Dave Russel spent £10,000 on Bernard Evans from Oxford, it was the equivalent of £250,000 today,and Johnny King was able to splash £300,000 on Gary Bennett, neither were outstanding successes. What might Mickey achieve with those sort of funds.

He’s a genius isn’t he? He brings in Lee Vaughan and sends out Paul Mullin on loan. He drops Ferrier and Jennings as well. Or put differently he starts games without any of the players who have scored goals for us so far.

DevonExile
DevonExile
09 February, 2020 08:06
Quote:
mill park white
Agree entirely. Not so long ago we were in freefall from Div 1 to Div 2 then to that pub league - mainly because we kept changing managers and had no stability.
We were in free fall because the club was adrift with no strategic plan and no investment. The changing of managers was a symptom not the cause. MM may not have the resources of all clubs in this division but he does have the resources of some and the advantage of working with a club that has good strategic leadership.
Many managers do not have that advantage. This is not a criticism of Mellon but managing Tranmere now is an altogether easier task than it was in the latter years of the PJ era

the baldy one
the baldy one
09 February, 2020 09:36
I think I am correct in saying this - IF WE GET RELEGATED THIS SEASON , IT WILL BE THE FIRST RELEGATION OF MICKY MELLONS MANAGERIAL CAREER. so hopefully that will not come true.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34
09 February, 2020 19:11
Quote:
DevonExile
We were in free fall because the club was adrift with no strategic plan and no investment. The changing of managers was a symptom not the cause. MM may not have the resources of all clubs in this division but he does have the resources of some and the advantage of working with a club that has good strategic leadership.
Many managers do not have that advantage. This is not a criticism of Mellon but managing Tranmere now is an altogether easier task than it was in the latter years of the PJ era

Mellon would still be worth keeping in post if Tranmere got relegated. It worked for Burnley with Dyche and Bl;ackpool with Holloway and it could work with Mellon.

RODOS ROVER
RODOS ROVER
11 February, 2020 09:40
Give the man a chance and get behind him
Think back would anyone at all sitting on the coach back from Wembley or sitting at home after winning promotion last year even begin to want this "fantastic manager "SUPPORTER" of our beloved SWA to be sacked. No way not one person I bet .He is forever praising the tranmere support in nearly every interview so stick with him

Zint
Zint
11 February, 2020 10:00
The evidence suggests that he is operating beyond the level of his competency. Nobody wants the situation to be like this but management is about results and he can’t deliver.

ADD
ADD
11 February, 2020 15:03
MM was very down after Saturday but seemed more upbeat today so I assume that MP has confirmed his support for him.
For me there were some encouraging signs on Saturday but the defending was as bad as it gets.
It should never be down to one game ideally but given our wretched form of late if we lose tonight I think MM should go gracefully with all our thanks as that would confirm he is no longer able to motivate/ get the best of the players who I do not feel are as bad as our results.
99% sure he will not see it like that but I would bring in Pilling and maybe even Walker-Rice and target set piece goals.

coltran
coltran
11 February, 2020 15:48
I don't believe that there is any difference in terms of management techniques between operating in League 2 or 1. There is a big difference in the standard of player required though. This is why we have struggled this season because we don't have sufficient players of League 1 standard. When you look at squad at the start of the season, it was obvious that we did not have a competitive League 1 budget. Micky has been forced to try make at best a League 2 squad operated at League 1 standard. So for me, Micky should stay as he is not the problem. We need more investment.

rossb07
rossb07
11 February, 2020 16:18
WR would be gobbled up by L1 players, his 3 or 4 good deliveries you’ve seen are nothing in comparison with what the coaching team sees daily. Let alone the fact they were against U23 sides (who some see as not being a barometer of quality given we beat Bolton).

targeting set-pieces also would suggest that we’re going out to what dive all over the place?

I’m alright supporting an honest, struggling side thanks.

Eric01 Tranmere
Eric01 Tranmere
11 February, 2020 16:27
I think he ought to be retained. We get relegated? We get promoted again.

ADD
ADD
11 February, 2020 17:08
Quote:
rossb07
WR would be gobbled up by L1 players, his 3 or 4 good deliveries you’ve seen are nothing in comparison with what the coaching team sees daily. Let alone the fact they were against U23 sides (who some see as not being a barometer of quality given we beat Bolton).
targeting set-pieces also would suggest that we’re going out to what dive all over the place?

I’m alright supporting an honest, struggling side thanks.
You cannot compare Premier U23 sides with Bolton's 16 year olds - that is plain daft. Don't forget we only won by one goal against two U23 sides and we lost to Leicester's. WR showed enough in those games and in pre-season to me to suggest he would not be gobbled up IMO but in any event it is an opinion. Also, I was not suggesting cheating no - don't forget that corners are also set pieces and if we play long balls we are likely to pressure defenders into conceding corners!!
The fact is we concede routinely at set pieces but we never score from them - one of the reasons being players like Caprice never clearing the first man. If you watched those games the one thing WR did better than any Tranmere player this season was to hit the man he was aiming for with crosses with penetration. something needs to change and if we could start scoring from set pieces we have a chance...

rossb07
rossb07
11 February, 2020 17:55
I can compare the 2 as they weren’t 16. They had 1 17 year old, 4 19-21 year olds and the rest were 25+.

That one’s not an opinion but I do get what you’re saying, I seriously doubt that having him around for the one chance that he may create is worthy of a place considering the predicament we’re currently in though.

Bored rover
Bored rover
11 February, 2020 20:07
Quality is nothing to do with it manager needs to get the players doing only what they can do and do it well, if they can’t do it don’t, for example Monthe should be told “ You can’t play football so do not try, your job is to get in the way and then just boot it away from our goal”.

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades
12 February, 2020 16:47
Blackpool have sacked Simon Grayson after 7 months based on 1 win in 12

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
12 February, 2020 16:59
Quote:
Jack of all Trades
Blackpool have sacked Simon Grayson after 7 months based on 1 win in 12

Surprised how they've tailed off lately. Think they were expecting a play off push.

Interesting to see who gets the job. And who else applies!

Uptonrover
Uptonrover
12 February, 2020 17:07
Ironically he would do a job here if we ever decided to let Micky go

Muir the merrier
Muir the merrier
12 February, 2020 19:47
Ipswich and Wycombe have gone off the boil too.....I had high hopes of a Tranmere victory last night.

Is Payne out of favour or injured ?

MESSAGES->author
Matt34
12 February, 2020 22:08
Quote:
Uptonrover
Ironically he would do a job here if we ever decided to let Micky go

There's no irony about your statement; as he would have no entitlement to "do a job". He could potentially be poor if he was ever offered it. Although given the spending permitted, he could potentially turn his nose up and say double that budget or I'll walk back to my car.

The Big J
The Big J
12 February, 2020 22:20
Love to see Manny go on a run, albeit only when we're 4-0 up.

ADD
ADD
13 February, 2020 00:09
Blackpool would be perfect for Micky - no long commute...

Zint
Zint
13 February, 2020 07:08
Quote:
Muir the merrier
Is Payne out of favour or injured ?

He has a follicle problem since he went and has a Les special 😁😁😁

MESSAGES->author
Matt34
13 February, 2020 22:36
Quote:
ADD
Blackpool would be perfect for Micky - no long commute...

He has a playing history with them as well. I think that may be where his and Gary Brabin's paths crossed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net