Latest news:

tranmere rovers - andy cook - the truth
Discussion started by the baldy one (IP Logged), 17 January, 2020 07:00
the baldy one
the baldy one
17 January, 2020 07:00
in the past 12 months or so I have read loads and loads of threds on here from Tranmere rovers fans saying they want us to resign andy cook. well the truth is he would only ever consider to come back if micky mellon left as they have a beef with each other. if anyone remembers - when andy cook left Tranmere rovers I was one of the main fans who slagged him off but only because of the way he left. we had just had the civic reception at Birkenhead town hall - and he was on the balcony celebrating with the team and the very next day he walks on on the club to sign for Walsall fc. there are better ways of doing things and that was crass. anyway if any Tranmere fan can remember - andy cook started the season knocking a few goals in, then micky mellon started to drop him for a few games but because when cookie was in the team he scored, micky mellon then had no choice but to keep him in the team even though he did not want to. it was a very strained relationship and if you look at it from andy cooks point of view - what a way to leave, scoring in the final v boreham wood. but the facts are - at the moment there is only room for one of them at Tranmere rovers, and while micky mellon is manager, andy cook will not be coming back.

the kav
the kav
17 January, 2020 07:05
Spot on badly one. He was angry when dropped for Stockton but getting dropped for alabi was the one that broke his relationship with the club.we all remember him punching the corner flag in anger when an unused sub when we lost to sutton and the time he stormed past mickey when substituted v barrow ( I think) he wont be back

Bored rover
Bored rover
17 January, 2020 07:21
Not good enough for League 1

Zint
Zint
17 January, 2020 07:50
Quote:
the baldy one
in the past 12 months or so I have read loads and loads of threds on here from Tranmere rovers fans saying they want us to resign andy cook. well the truth is he would only ever consider to come back if micky mellon left as they have a beef with each other. if anyone remembers - when andy cook left Tranmere rovers I was one of the main fans who slagged him off but only because of the way he left. we had just had the civic reception at Birkenhead town hall - and he was on the balcony celebrating with the team and the very next day he walks on on the club to sign for Walsall fc. there are better ways of doing things and that was crass. anyway if any Tranmere fan can remember - andy cook started the season knocking a few goals in, then micky mellon started to drop him for a few games but because when cookie was in the team he scored, micky mellon then had no choice but to keep him in the team even though he did not want to. it was a very strained relationship and if you look at it from andy cooks point of view - what a way to leave, scoring in the final v boreham wood. but the facts are - at the moment there is only room for one of them at Tranmere rovers, and while micky mellon is manager, andy cook will not be coming back.

Cook played well for us at Non League level. However, I am not convinced that he has the ability to perform in League 1, two divisions higher than we were last time he played for us.

In the interim he didn’t have that great a record at Walsall and spent a fair while on the bench. He was also, allegedly, a disruptive influence in the dressing room.

Whilst we need a better strike partner for Ferrier we also need our unity. I am not sure that he’s worth the gamble and even less sure that he would come back.

pez
pez
17 January, 2020 07:53
Baldy making sweeping statements again!

The only people who know the real situation here are Cook himself and Micky Mellon, so unless Baldy has spoken to either of them personally on this matter, how can he state that this is factual?

We know there was a rift between them, but I'm sure like grown men, they would have made up?

I would suggest they did, otherwise why didn't we cash in when Wrexham cam sniffing in the January window if the situation was that toxic?

the baldy one
the baldy one
17 January, 2020 08:37
pez - it is a known fact - if micky mellon was not manager of Tranmere rovers then andy cook would still be here. but as every Tranmere fan knows, and I have said one million times micky mellon is the manager he should be the manager so there is no room for andy cook. I have always had trust in micky mellon and always will do - end of story.

goosed
goosed
17 January, 2020 08:41
Why did they fall out thats the question?

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
17 January, 2020 09:44
Baldy bang on cue again. Lol.

the baldy one
the baldy one
17 January, 2020 09:49
goosed - very good question. sometimes personalties clash, and no matter how well andy cook was doing for Tranmere rovers - micky mellon did not want him. the relationship started to go sour when micky was playing cole Stockton instead of cookie. it was quite clear andy cook took offence to not being picked even though when he did play he scored. but in the end micky mellon only kept cookie in the team for one reason and that reason was because he was scoring - not because he liked him. then as soon as the boreham wood game was over at Wembley - andy cook could not leave quick enough. but as everyone knows he made a massive mistake going to Walsall fc. and now its got even worse for him as he is struggling at Mansfield town. but I will never tell micky mellon how to do his job - so I agree with the manager.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
17 January, 2020 10:01
Quote:
the kav
Spot on badly one. He was angry when dropped for Stockton but getting dropped for alabi was the one that broke his relationship with the club.we all remember him punching the corner flag in anger when an unused sub when we lost to sutton and the time he stormed past mickey when substituted v barrow ( I think) he wont be back

And when he got over his tantrum and finally achieved the fitness levels and work rate demanded of him in order to regain his starting place, he played the best football of his career, hit 30 goals and earned himself a dream move to L1.

18 months later he's a benchwarmer at a struggling L2 club. More in keeping with the rest of career.

Love the lad but no thanks.

pez
pez
17 January, 2020 10:09
Quote:
the baldy one
pez - it is a known fact - if micky mellon was not manager of Tranmere rovers then andy cook would still be here. but as every Tranmere fan knows, and I have said one million times micky mellon is the manager he should be the manager so there is no room for andy cook. I have always had trust in micky mellon and always will do - end of story.

Again! It's not a fact though is it? It's speculation!

Unless you've actually heard him say so, you're just guessing. So no it's not a known fact is it?

This is @#$%&
This is sh1t
17 January, 2020 10:50
Fully agree baldy

DevonExile
DevonExile
17 January, 2020 12:15
Quote:
Bored rover
That could be said of so many of the players that we signed explicitly for league one duty

goosed
goosed
17 January, 2020 12:45
Quote:
Bored rover
who is good that we have now striker wise i mean

MoanerLesser
TRSince1968
17 January, 2020 13:00
HKR - this prompts me to pick Living in the Past by Jethro Tull

the kav
the kav
17 January, 2020 13:03
Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy
Quote:
the kav

And when he got over his tantrum and finally achieved the fitness levels and work rate demanded of him in order to regain his starting place, he played the best football of his career, hit 30 goals and earned himself a dream move to L1.

18 months later he's a benchwarmer at a struggling L2 club. More in keeping with the rest of career.

Love the lad but no thanks.

Incentivised by the fact the fitter he got and better he played the quicker another club would come in for him

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover
17 January, 2020 13:09
Quote:
AccountLogicallyDeleted
HKR - this prompts me to pick Living in the Past by Jethro Tull

lollers....and we definitely won't be bringing James Alabi back, he has gone to Eastleigh on loan to the end of the season from Leyton Orient... Eddie Clarke has gone to Stockport and Stockport have also signed striker Jordan Archer on loan from Port Vale, remembering not long ago there were a few rumours that Rovers were interested in Archer when he was at Stourbridge...He hasn't done anything since we were linked with him.

prentonpete1
prentonpete1
17 January, 2020 13:11
So Payne is better than Cook it's a no brainer!
Palios told Mellon to play Cook he saw his @#$%& when he was dropped for Stockton as for his fitness he looked fit to me.The only thing about Cook he only seems to stay at clubs for a couple of seasons.

the baldy one
the baldy one
17 January, 2020 13:37
prentonpete1 - you are spot on. it is a fact but in the whole of andy cooks career he has never stayed at any club longer than 2 years which is a bit strange. it will be interesting to see if he will be loyal to Mansfield town in the summer or will he walk out on them like he has done to all his other former clubs. I will have a guess and say come the start of next season 2020-2021 andy cook will be playing for someone else.

Owainsleftglove
Owainsleftglove
17 January, 2020 14:46
Wot rot again Baldy...so are you saying he'll never be back whilst Mickys here...He'll be in on loan till end of season ...he's exactly wot we need right now a target man to hold it up ...can't play footy on that pitch.Watch this space .

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
17 January, 2020 16:10
Quote:
prentonpete1
Palios told Mellon to play Cook he saw his @#$%& when he was dropped for Stockton as for his fitness he looked fit to me.The only thing about Cook he only seems to stay at clubs for a couple of seasons.

Yet Payne arguably has the better cv. And top scorer for the 3rd best team in L1 two years ago.
Presumably your 'inside information' can explain why Cook has never really nailed down a FL career?
Think people can get too misty-eyed about our non-league days.

stek26
stek26
17 January, 2020 16:19
Quote:
Bored rover

Scored 13 league goals last season to Ferriers five.....just saying!

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
17 January, 2020 16:27
Look beyond the numbers and you'll see Ferrier played wide much of last season. Probably assisted a fair few of Cook's goals.

AndyMase
AndyMase
17 January, 2020 16:43
Quote:
prentonpete1

Looked fit, he looked to me for most of his time like he had a wok hidden under the front of his shirt

LongStandingFan
LongStandingFan
17 January, 2020 18:18
Quote:
the baldy one
goosed - very good question. sometimes personalties clash, and no matter how well andy cook was doing for Tranmere rovers - micky mellon did not want him. the relationship started to go sour when micky was playing cole Stockton instead of cookie. it was quite clear andy cook took offence to not being picked even though when he did play he scored. but in the end micky mellon only kept cookie in the team for one reason and that reason was because he was scoring - not because he liked him. then as soon as the boreham wood game was over at Wembley - andy cook could not leave quick enough. but as everyone knows he made a massive mistake going to Walsall fc. and now its got even worse for him as he is struggling at Mansfield town. but I will never tell micky mellon how to do his job - so I agree with the manager.

Baldy, I think what is a bit concerning is the insinuation that MM holds grudges against players. Yes, I know its human nature, but his job as a manager is to get the best players he can and get the best out of them. Regardless of how he feels about a player on a personal basis, the only real issue should be whether they are the best player to be put into the starting line-up.
To me its just not very professional to leave players out due to a grudge, the manager should be way better than that. Just my view.

goosed
goosed
17 January, 2020 18:37
Still no one come up as a better striker in our team than cook that we have now ?

stek26
stek26
17 January, 2020 18:39
Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy
Look beyond the numbers and you'll see Ferrier played wide much of last season. Probably assisted a fair few of Cook's goals.

The point made was about Cook not being good enough for League 1.

Your right he probably did assist a few goals, that’s where I think he’s probably best, inside forward coming in from left or right of a target man.
As I’ve said, he doesn’t score enough goals to be a out and out CF.

MESSAGES->author
Phil65
17 January, 2020 19:47
Cook had an almost identical goals to appearances ratio for Barrow for the two seasons prior to joining us. so any insinuation that we or Mickey suddenly transformed him in to a polished goal machine is slightly contradicted by that fact. It's all speculation as to if Cook could do a job for us at this level, but we should respect what he did for us and his valuable contribution to our journey out of the National League.
I remember the incident the kav mentions; Cook was livid and many were empathetic in the Town Paddock and bemused at the time.
I also remember Cook being brought on away at Torquay after the two sendings off and you could clearly see the difference he made to our game, even with nine men, playing up front on his own; we actually looked dangerous for the first time in the game. Sorry, but proper pi$$ take having Alabi starting ahead of him.

goosed
goosed
17 January, 2020 20:36
Still nothin lol

rossb07
rossb07
17 January, 2020 20:40
You didn’t ask who in the squad is better than Cook so rightly got no answer, you did ask who is good at ST at the club and Ferrier has already been mentioned.

Silly to ask the question of who’s better than him if we’re not exactly in for him in the first place.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
17 January, 2020 22:24
Quote:
Phil65
Cook had an almost identical goals to appearances ratio for Barrow for the two seasons prior to joining us. so any insinuation that we or Mickey suddenly transformed him in to a polished goal machine is slightly contradicted by that fact.

League clubs weren't queuing up for him when was at Barrow. He'd always have scored goals in the NL but we made him a FL player, and MM's tough approach to his fitness and work rate must have played a big part. Although a hefty lad and not blessed with a turn of pace, he did shed a fair few pounds and did improve his closing down when he got back in the side, and once he did he was on fire.

When he was out of the side (which was only very briefly) I recall MM saying they were being tough with him in training, and when he left I recall Palios saying he did everything asked of him. It made him undroppable, which he wasn't when Stockton started delivering at the end of the previous season. Both the player and the management deserve credit for that, and both reaped the benefits. Great times and he'll always be remembered fondly.

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69
18 January, 2020 00:46
Stockton or Cookie? The answer is so obvious .I 'll say no more.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
18 January, 2020 07:57
Quote:
Tranmere69
Stockton or Cookie? The answer is so obvious .I 'll say no more.

During that relatively short period of time it wasn't so obvious at all.
A time when Stockton attracted Hearts while Cook was being linked with....Wrexham.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 18/01/2020 08:45 by Aldo'smuzzy.

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover
18 January, 2020 12:22
I saw Cole Stockton play a few times, when I was back visiting the UK, when he first started out with the Rovers and I thought there might be some signs of some early promise but I don't think Ronnie Moore was mad keen on him.. That early promise never really developed, he has had plenty of chances to prove himself and he hasn't... I know he got a lot of stick from some Rovers fans and that probably affected him and knocked his confidence a bit but he wasn't tough or good enough to answer the boo boys...Ok, he did well for us around the time of the Aldershot play offs but those moments from him were few and far between..Andy Cook v Cole Stockton?.. Cookie all day long.

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover
18 January, 2020 12:28
The striker we should never have shown the door to was a young Chris Dagnall… Never really understood why we let him go.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/01/2020 12:31 by hong kong rover.

Tranmere Tinker
Tranmere Tinker
18 January, 2020 20:00
It's quite humorous that you've called this thread the truth without having any evidence of the so called beef, the behind the scenes relationship or anything really. You've just jumped to conclusions and portray them as fact.

warren r
Wozza
18 January, 2020 20:04
Quote:
Tranmere Tinker
It's quite humorous that you've called this thread the truth without having any evidence of the so called beef, the behind the scenes relationship or anything really. You've just jumped to conclusions and portray them as fact.
👏👏👏

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net