Discussion started by trfc-boi (IP Logged), 16 January, 2020 19:39
trfc-boi
trfc-boi
16 January, 2020 19:39
For Oldham on 18 month contract

Bored rover
Bored rover
16 January, 2020 19:41
Eddie Clarke has gone to stockport on loan, maybe he’s not all that after all.

stek26
stek26
16 January, 2020 20:58
Massive, massive opportunity missed here!

Can’t believe we haven’t gone and got him!

Considering we are unable to compete for quality signings from the championship (Madine to Blackpool for eg), the best chance of getting a goal scorer from the lower leagues was/is our best chance, given our financial clout!

If we do do get a striker itl be someone who scores 5 goals a season - no better than what we currently have.
Seeing some of the signings made in the last couple of weeks by league 1 clubs does make me jealous and I can’t help but feel underwhelmed.
90% of our signings this year have been poor, and we must have the worst scouts in the league!

Really think we’ve missed the boat here, especially as Mickey has apparently been after him in the past!

Muir the merrier
Muir the merrier
16 January, 2020 21:03
It will be interesting to see how he gets on and adapts to League football.....I hope it works out for him.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
16 January, 2020 21:08
Seen him a few times and too often he's just going through the motions.
Wouldn't be surprised if he did alright for the rest of this season as he rediscovers his mojo.
Worth a punt if we'd been in L2, not bothered now we're in L1.

FloodlitFridays
FloodlitFridays
16 January, 2020 21:15
I personally don't think there's anything to suggest he'd do a better job than what we have now, and the fact that he's gone to the bottom end of League 2 perhaps adds credence to that. Again, people seem to be going overboard on criticism.

pez
pez
16 January, 2020 21:52
Bet he'll be gone from there in the summer.

They haven't got a pot to @#$%& in, so be surprised if he settles there?

When Paul Scholes left there, he slated them to death.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34
16 January, 2020 23:01
Quote:
stek26
If we do do get a striker itl be someone who scores 5 goals a season - no better than what we currently have.

Well considering Ferrier has scored more than that in half a season, then your comment is pessamistic and perhaps a bit off the mark, but the notion Tranmere will find a 20 goal striker from somewhere right now, is extremely unlikely.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13
17 January, 2020 00:14
Thank god we can put his name to bed now.

Just need to bury cook and adam mekki next.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
17 January, 2020 01:41
Quote:
mrGr33n13
Just need to bury cook and adam mekki next.

Mekki's slipped through the net - loaned to Ebbsfleet for the rest of the season.

stek26
stek26
17 January, 2020 07:47
Quote:
Matt34
Quote:
stek26

Well considering Ferrier has scored more than that in half a season, then your comment is pessamistic and perhaps a bit off the mark, but the notion Tranmere will find a 20 goal striker from somewhere right now, is extremely unlikely.

For a start yes I am being pessimistic, for what it seems we can afford and available strikers out there, I believe he would of been our best option - name a few available strikers who are AFFORDABLE and AVAILABLE???

I’ve said before Ferrier is fantastic on his day but not an out and out goal scorer, he hasn’t hit double figures for 4 seasons now. Ferrier hadn’t played on league 1 up until last season, now he has 9 goals in 45 appearances in L1. Yes I get Rowe is untried at this level but imo there’s not too many strikers about who are better for our budget, if anything he would excite the fans!
He needs help and I think Rowe would of been the best AVAILABLE foil, he is a GOALSCORER and has undoubted quality on the ball. He is also a big lad who can hold it up and is good at set pieces.... for me he ticks the boxes.
A risk but so are all signings - look at Payne!

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades
17 January, 2020 09:01
The transfer fee is undisclosed, AFC Fylde reluctantly agreed to his transfer once he stated he wouldn't resign, so as to at least recover some sort of fee.

It does surprise me where Oldham have got the money from, as they appear to be equally dodgey financial, as certain other clubs in the region.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
17 January, 2020 09:51
The fee will be peanuts but yes, even peanuts might be pushing the boat out for a club like Oldham these days.
Interesting to see how he does in a struggling team, and whether he really is a luxury player.

pez
pez
17 January, 2020 10:13
According to Paul Scholes after his short managerial stint there, they didn't even have laundry facilities there and the players where having to wash their own kits?

Be surprised if he sees out that 18 month deal there.

If he gets off to a decent start, there'll be better options available next Summer and at his age, he'd be mad to stay at Oldham tbf.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34
18 January, 2020 00:27
Quote:
stek26
For a start yes I am being pessimistic, for what it seems we can afford and available strikers out there, I believe he would of been our best option - name a few available strikers who are AFFORDABLE and AVAILABLE???

Well if Mellon was prepared to gamble even on looking at someone, then this guy might be worth a shot.

Ibrahima Toure

He played in the past for Monaco and was involved in a deal worth over £3,000,000. Played most recently in Ligue 2 in France scoring 33 in 68 games at probably a higher level than league 1, but has been a free transfer for 18 months, though no evidence I could find of serious injury concerns.

Bringing in such a player and giving him a training deal might work, to see what he might give and sign him if he looked good.

If any signing is a risk, then putting someone like this through their paces for a few days to test skill and attitude would help to ascertain the risk.

The chances are after not getting signed for 18 months, he'd be less picky about a deal than he would have been then, so it might be worth a punt and after 18 months getting no deal might take what Tranmeer could afford, but as he's not known in British football, it could be a type of signing the club wouldn't even look at twice.

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69
18 January, 2020 00:52
He likes to travel !

stek26
stek26
18 January, 2020 11:26
Quote:
Matt34
Quote:
stek26

Well if Mellon was prepared to gamble even on looking at someone, then this guy might be worth a shot.

Ibrahima Toure

He played in the past for Monaco and was involved in a deal worth over £3,000,000. Played most recently in Ligue 2 in France scoring 33 in 68 games at probably a higher level than league 1, but has been a free transfer for 18 months, though no evidence I could find of serious injury concerns.

Bringing in such a player and giving him a training deal might work, to see what he might give and sign him if he looked good.

If any signing is a risk, then putting someone like this through their paces for a few days to test skill and attitude would help to ascertain the risk.

The chances are after not getting signed for 18 months, he'd be less picky about a deal than he would have been then, so it might be worth a punt and after 18 months getting no deal might take what Tranmeer could afford, but as he's not known in British football, it could be a type of signing the club wouldn't even look at twice.

Matt, were do you find these 😂

Good scouting mate, I agree if anything we should be looking at getting freebies in on trial.

But just had a quick look at him, he’s 34 so potentially maybe retired, could be the reason he hasn’t played in a while.

I’m not confident in our own scouting network, based on the majority of summer recruitment.
Ray, Payne, Potter, Danns, Ponticelli and in particular the loans of Maddox & CBJ have been mostly poor.
I would rather invest the money/wages of these players in signing a couple quality players over quantity, especially as most have not played that much and give our youth a chance to fill the squad.

Interesting to hear Palios say how much they research into the type of character they before getting them in, only to then recruit them and alienate them by not given them a chance - in the case of Maddox, CBJ and Ponticelli.

Be interesting to know how the scouting process works, does Vernon give Mickey options and Mickey has the final say or is it the Vernon/Palios who brings players in?

MESSAGES->author
Matt34
18 January, 2020 20:13
That site usually lists players as boots hing up with a picture of boots hanging on their profile, so when I did'nt see that I assuemd he was still an active player.

I see Victor Anichebe is still available. played on Merseyside and at 31, got a few years left, but after he moved from Sunderland to China, he's been let go from the chinese club.

Other interesting freebies, include ross McCormack, Obafemi Martins, Sergio Garcia, Anthony Stokes, Jay Emmanuel Thomas and Islam Feruz, the latter scoring 11 in 29 in PL2,

Feruz would be the most likely to sign if any of them were offered something I feel, as I suspect if the others are still playing they'd be a little pricey, with possible the exception of JET.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net