Latest news:

tranmere rovers - lets agree with the owners (not)
Discussion started by the baldy one (IP Logged), 15 January, 2020 15:06
the baldy one
the baldy one
15 January, 2020 15:06
since the transfer window opened on January 1st 2020 - there have been quite a few threds on here stating that we need a new striker - which fans know I agree with. it looks as though we are not going to get our wish so for one moment lets agree with the owners that we do not need a striker. if we carry on like this - the owners know full well we will get relegated so why would they want that on their record. they are playing Russian roulette with our place in league one and that is not good enough. before anyone replies to me please read carefully what I have said. since the owners have been here for the last 5 years they have been nothing but brilliant - but to risk our place in league one by not signing a striker to make sure we stay there is not good enough.

rossb07
rossb07
15 January, 2020 15:28
When have the owners said we dont need a striker?

misterecoli
misterecoli
15 January, 2020 15:44
Quote:
rossb07
When have the owners said we dont need a striker?

We didn't sign Jake Cassidy so they mustn't want one. It's quite clear

pez
pez
15 January, 2020 16:14
A 20+ goals a season striker at league one level is going to cost a tidy packet!

That's why we haven't signed one. Simple as that!

Norwood went to Ipswich and probably trebled or quadrupled his weekly wage, again, something we were unable to compete with.

If there are any 20+ goal a season strikers out there, then you can bet your mortgage on them being offered far more by the other clubs at this level.

We simply cannot compete financially and therefore, any signings we make will undoubtedly be a gamble (just like our summer signings).

It's not rocket science, and it's not a secret either. The owners and Micky Mellon have repeatedly stated over the past few years that there isn't pots of money and there won't be any marquee signings made by Tranmere Rovers until further investment is found.

That is our situation, as has been communicated on quite a few occasions, and I see no reason to doubt that at present.

It's a little disheartening, but that's how it is.

If you want big signings, then may I suggest you pop over the water and go and watch our bigger neighbours play?

I'm sure everyone at Tranmere would like us to remain in League one. To suggest otherwise is absolute nonsense, but financial stability is paramount at this present time.

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost
15 January, 2020 16:25
Quote:
pez
A 20+ goals a season striker at league one level is going to cost a tidy packet!
That's why we haven't signed one. Simple as that!

Norwood went to Ipswich and probably trebled or quadrupled his weekly wage, again, something we were unable to compete with.

If there are any 20+ goal a season strikers out there, then you can bet your mortgage on them being offered far more by the other clubs at this level.

We simply cannot compete financially and therefore, any signings we make will undoubtedly be a gamble (just like our summer signings).

It's not rocket science, and it's not a secret either. The owners and Micky Mellon have repeatedly stated over the past few years that there isn't pots of money and there won't be any marquee signings made by Tranmere Rovers until further investment is found.

That is our situation, as has been communicated on quite a few occasions, and I see no reason to doubt that at present.

It's a little disheartening, but that's how it is.

If you want big signings, then may I suggest you pop over the water and go and watch our bigger neighbours play?

I'm sure everyone at Tranmere would like us to remain in League one. To suggest otherwise is absolute nonsense, but financial stability is paramount at this present time.
This. Perfectly put. I may copy and paste this for future use.

Norwood was rumoured to be offered in the region of £8k a week at Ipswich and he's hardly torn up many trees in L1 so far with them. We can probably afford his left leg!

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades
15 January, 2020 16:46
Don't forget the reported signing on fee of a minimum 100K or depending on who you believe, maximum 200K.

Good Luck to Nors

ADD
ADD
15 January, 2020 17:20
I heard the initial salary offer was higher than that... as was the signing on fee...
Reality is in my view that our front line is good enough but only if we have a decent backline as if we have that we can be more aggressive in attack.

Eric01 Tranmere
Eric01 Tranmere
15 January, 2020 17:42
And maybe it is more than simply a striker we need? Yes, we could buy, loan, steal?, a striker but without quality support from midfield and a worthwhie defence it wouldn't work?

stek26
stek26
15 January, 2020 18:32
Would love us to show abit more ambition and sign a decent striker. But as we all know we haven’t got the money.

I do agree that we should gamble and sign a sticker to increase our chances of survival.
If we could get rid of a few (Ray, Payne, Ponticelli, Miller and 1 of Danns or Potter) in order to free up funds for wages then maybe it could be done. I would focus on quality rather than quantity!

Devante Cole would be a good shout and would excite me. Proven at League 1 and had a decent first half to season in Scotland. Championship clubs said to be interested so would be difficult.

I would also go for Danny Rowe, available now.
Always linked and I think he would do well for us!

pez
pez
15 January, 2020 19:05
Rowe's capture would involve a fee and he's not a proven goal scorer in the F.L therefore I doubt we'll be in for him.

He missed his opportunity when he signed an extension with Fylde 18 months ago.

I'd prefer Andy Cook on loan rather than commiting to signing Rowe on a two year deal.

Bored rover
Bored rover
15 January, 2020 19:56
We don’t need a striker, we need to stop conceding, we score more than enough it’s keeping them out we struggle with. Keep a clean sheet and you only need to score once, concede 4 and.....:As for Nors he has hardly set the world on fire in the divisions most expensive squad so a good move to not offer him the world; Ferrier is more classy by far.

Tranman
Tranman
15 January, 2020 20:25
Quote:
Bored rover
We don’t need a striker, we need to stop conceding, we score more than enough it’s keeping them out we struggle with. Keep a clean sheet and you only need to score once, concede 4 and.....:As for Nors he has hardly set the world on fire in the divisions most expensive squad so a good move to not offer him the world; Ferrier is more classy by far.

You must be joking about Nors and Ferrier!

Bored rover
Bored rover
15 January, 2020 20:47
Quote:
Tranman
Quote:
Bored rover

You must be joking about Nors and Ferrier!

No not at all, Ferrier has far more potential and is a far more natural finisher and potentially has more to his game, if he had Nors attitude he wouldn’t be playing League 1. Nors has 10 at Ipswich one of the top sides, Ferrier has 6 at Rovers one of the worst sides. Chance to conversion rate I hazard Ferrier is more clinical.

stek26
stek26
15 January, 2020 22:07
Ferrier has a good game every 1 in 3 to 4, good against Blackpool poor against Coventry and poor against Southend.

As a goal scorer he is no we’re near as good as Nors....There’s no doubt he has talent and looks slick - he is fantastic on his day but he’s not consistent enough, especially with his goals tally which only looks better because of the Chichester game.
Last time he hit double figures was 3-4 seasons ago at Borehamwood, and that was only 14. He only got 5 league goals last year at Walsall in 30 odd games.

Bottom line, fantastic player with guile, but not a fox in the box or predator, which we need.

Cookie... would absolutely love him back, but I think Mickey would be to stubborn to get him in. But Rowe is miles better imo, he has a swagger about him - Lee Trundle springs to mind!

If Cookie & Nors can make decent go at league 1 then am sure Rowe would. He is a goal machine...182 goals in 281 games for Fylde.
Scores all types of goals, set piece speciialist, can hold it up and is a big lad, exactly what we need. Must I sell him anymore.....
Doesn’t anyone remember when he dominated Steve when they battered us at their place a couple year ago on new year. I think he’s class. Give this a watch.... [m.youtube.com]

MESSAGES->author
Matt34
15 January, 2020 22:57
Quote:
Bored rover
No not at all, Ferrier has far more potential and is a far more natural finisher and potentially has more to his game, if he had Nors attitude he wouldn’t be playing League 1. Nors has 10 at Ipswich one of the top sides, Ferrier has 6 at Rovers one of the worst sides. Chance to conversion rate I hazard Ferrier is more clinical.

However Ferrier did score 2 against club with financial issues, who were fielding a team that frankly would be likely to struggle in league 2.

Were Bolton financed correctly and not penalised points, they could easily outspend Tranmere and were they in the top 6 right now, Ferrier might have scored nothing against them.

Suddenly a player bagging 4 in half a season, regardless of the teams quality and league position would not look inspiring.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Pitou
Pitou
15 January, 2020 23:10
any forward would struggle in this team , we don't create enough and have the quality in the midfield as Micky has stated many times . Even the like of Norwood and Cook would struggle, and as we have on money to waste on a forward or midfield we have to make do , the fact is we have on money and a low fans base for league 1 so even the wage bill we be one of the lowest in the league

Bored rover
Bored rover
16 January, 2020 11:22
Quote:
Matt34
Quote:
Bored rover

However Ferrier did score 2 against club with financial issues, who were fielding a team that frankly would be likely to struggle in league 2.

Were Bolton financed correctly and not penalised points, they could easily outspend Tranmere and were they in the top 6 right now, Ferrier might have scored nothing against them.

Suddenly a player bagging 4 in half a season, regardless of the teams quality and league position would not look inspiring.

An Nors scored two against Bolton, 1 of those being a penalty!

MESSAGES->author
sparky100
16 January, 2020 16:57
Even if Mr and Mrs P stumped up the money for a '20' goal striker it would in my opinion still not guarantee are survival in league one! He would not be able to wave a magic wand and perform individually, he would the majority of time rely on his supply from elsewhere! Unfortunately I dont think we currently have the players to enable any one to be a 20 goal striker. Just my opinion before I get assassinated!

pez
pez
16 January, 2020 17:18
Latest coming from Micky is that we need to ship players out before we can bring anyone else in as the playing budget is already stretched.

Mark Palios has not ruled out any further movement in the window, but has reiterated that there is a strict protocol to be followed when selecting possible recruits which began weeks before the window opened.

Not much being given away there but Ginnelly has today gone to Bristol Rovers on loan, so we can cross him off the list.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net