Latest news:

New Striker
Discussion started by martyd12 (IP Logged), 14 January, 2020 17:25
martyd12
martyd12
14 January, 2020 17:25
I would take Adam Marriott from Kings Lynn . He has been a sensational revelation this season and he is tipped to play at a much higher level than NLN! He is available and if we don't sign him let's see who does and then watch him go!

Bored rover
Bored rover
14 January, 2020 17:47
Wr need to stop gambling on players whether it be can they step up a level or 3, stay fit, change their attitude etc

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
14 January, 2020 17:49
He's been around for a while. Going on 29 years old now.

pez
pez
14 January, 2020 17:54
I was championing Blair Henderson of SL2 Edinburgh City over the Summer, but he's turned out to be a disappointment even though he stayed at Edinburgh.

He was banging the goals in for fun last season, but they seem to have dried up so far this season.

Just goes to show how a players career can change within a couple of months.

TimmySoft
TimmySoft
14 January, 2020 21:27
I live in kings lynn, so I watch the Linnets when I can’t get to a Tranmere game. Marriott is decent, but he’s very much non league, he gets caught offside a lot and to be fair, he’s playing in a good team that gets him plenty of opportunities.

LongStandingFan
LongStandingFan
14 January, 2020 21:33
If we had two good strikers already then I think we could afford to take a chance on a short term contract for Adam, but as we are in the relegation zone I think we need a proven L1 or at least L2 proven striker.

ADD
ADD
15 January, 2020 02:40
We do not need any more strikers IMO. We have Ferrier and CBT and RHM when they are fit. Payne can also do a job. What we need is to concede far fewer goals which when we start doing so will allow MM to play a more attacking style rather than leaving Ferrier completely isolated....

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69
15 January, 2020 11:22
Stockton scored this week!!!????

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13
15 January, 2020 11:31
We have far more pressing concerns than a striker.

A punt on a flat track bully having a Clive Allen season? No ta

prentonpete1
prentonpete1
15 January, 2020 13:33
I must be watching the wrong team if we don't need a striker ridicules statement.

misterecoli
misterecoli
15 January, 2020 15:47
Quote:
prentonpete1
I must be watching the wrong team if we don't need a striker ridicules statement.

Based on where we are and what we can attract, and the fact that strikers are very hard to come by then plugging the goals at the back rather than a striker who gets no service might be our best bet at this point.

Doesn't mean we wouldn't benefit from a striker, but I don't think it's the only way out of this.

DevonExile
DevonExile
15 January, 2020 16:55
We need quality all over the field but it is hard to see where we could get a proven striker at this stage of the season

stek26
stek26
15 January, 2020 18:33
Danny Rowe.

Not proven at this level but a goal scorer.

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades
15 January, 2020 18:57
The AFC Fylde website reckon his agent is behind the current situation, having already told the club he would not be resigning they are obviously trying to get some sort of fee which, assuming we were interested, would present a problem I would imagine.

AFC Fylde are currently in the relegation places (fourth from bottom) and I don't think he has scored that many this season (27 last season)

The current situation at Mansfield and Cookie being almost a constant sub, would he be a better option, if of course he were interested?

Muir the merrier
Muir the merrier
15 January, 2020 19:03
It's not easy finding goalscorers at any level and even harder on a shoestring budget.
Here's the recent evidence :
George Waring
Andy Mangan
James Alibi
Cole Stockton
Ishmael Miller
Jordan Ponticelli
Stefan Payne
Sometimes it works but mostly it doesn't.

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13
15 January, 2020 19:37
Last season 4 clubs had a 20 goal striker, the season before that 3 clubs did.

We do not need a 20 goal a season stirker, even if we could beat 90% of the clubs to the 3-4 players capable of of bagging 20 its unlikely they would score that heavily in our team, nor should we need them to.

Ferrier has 8 in 18 games for us in a very disjointed season.

CBT and rmh and Morris are as creative and destructive as they come at this level and Jennings is no mug. How many clubs have two forwards who have scored hattrick this season?

Once the midfield is back + additions well be fine in that department.

It's midfield and defence where we lack. We are not solid at all

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/01/2020 19:54 by mrGr33n13.

Bored rover
Bored rover
15 January, 2020 19:53
Quote:
Muir the merrier
It's not easy finding goalscorers at any level and even harder on a shoestring budget.
Here's the recent evidence :
George Waring
Andy Mangan
James Alibi
Cole Stockton
Ishmael Miller
Jordan Ponticelli
Stefan Payne
Sometimes it works but mostly it doesn't.

Yeah but to be fair there’s only Ponticelli and Payne I don’t rate from that list, it’s not to say they were all successful but I think had we the luxury of being able to afford them time they would have been far more use then they were.

Uptonrover
Uptonrover
15 January, 2020 20:12
Cant add Miller - 1 and a bit games and 1 goal he spent the rest of his time injured so cant be judged. As for Payne id actually say for someone not blessed with pace 6 goals in 18 is quite respectful. Most fans had their minds made up by Bristol Rovers fans before he had pulled a shirt on

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
15 January, 2020 20:24
Bear in mind too most of these lads were being kept out of the team by one, sometimes two, 20-30 goal strikers. Can't judge them too harshly.

I quite like Payne too. He's strong, can hold the ball up and lays it off well but we haven't really been able to play to, or off, those strengths much this season. If he and Ferrier ever had a run of games to gel rather than the odd 45 minutes together, think they could be a handful.

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13
15 January, 2020 20:35
Mullin minutes per goal = 218 (goal every 2.4 games)

Payne minutes per goal 264 (goal every 2.6 games)

Rmh minutes per goal 213 (goal every 2.4 games)

Ferrier minutes per goal 143 (goal every 1.6 games)

We have fire power and creativity (Morris near the top of the assists charts)

We have enough goals to stay up.

We are not solid enough and are often over run / make poor defensive decisions

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/01/2020 20:37 by mrGr33n13.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net