Latest news:

Club statement about the pitch
Discussion started by Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged), 14 January, 2020 17:23
Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
14 January, 2020 17:23
[www.tranmererovers.co.uk]

Secondary drainage is the problem. Seems we do have full time ground staff.

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades
14 January, 2020 17:32
I wonder what expert opinion and comment this will provoke.

What they are saying is factually correct.

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover
14 January, 2020 17:41
Quote:
Jack of all Trades
I wonder what expert opinion and comment this will provoke.
What they are saying is factually correct.

yes, agree...the penultimate paragraph says, ' we have also had the grounds staff sometimes working through the night.'...…. there was a pic on twitter the other day of someone driving past the ground at 3:30am in the morning and the floodlights were on... so that's very true..

Bored rover
Bored rover
14 January, 2020 17:43
They have known for some time the drains are knackered, so why didn’t they release the statement then? Compacted subsoils are down to lack of verti draining maintenance, not a good sign for the rest of the season.

MESSAGES->author
Phil65
14 January, 2020 18:27
Thanks. Great that we're finally getting the facts, but it does feel like they've been pushed into a corner. Some transparency from the beginning would have stopped the rumour mongers having a field day (a muddy one at that!). We're genuinely in this together and have a vested interest, unlike some throw away comment from any politician.

Zint
Zint
14 January, 2020 19:09
I think it’s the usual pollocks and spin from Mark & Nicola.

goosed
goosed
14 January, 2020 19:28
Quote:
Zint
I think it’s the usual pollocks and spin from Mark & Nicola.
So they have only just found this out about the problem which is 30 years old ??

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades
14 January, 2020 20:14
Try reading the full statement goosed

Bored rover
Bored rover
14 January, 2020 21:01
Interesting to see St Andrews pitch looking terrible, another pitch being over used by 2 teams

Zint
Zint
14 January, 2020 21:15
Hey, Jack off all trades, how about looking at the evidence?

1. We sack an award winning grounds man and replace him with poorer quality
2. The problem, if known about for 30 years, might be a reason for not investing in Solar Campus, or China, or the Riverhill, and instead addressing a bread and butter issue which enables the club to deliver what it exists to do - playing football matches.
3. The Walsall pre-season friendly showed that there were serious problems with the pitch that should have been addressed much sooner and could have at least called into question the decision to allow Liverpool ladies to use our pitch.
4. Contrary to popular opinion darkness occurs when the sun goes down, not when Mark and Nicola cover their @#$%& with a duvet.

But hey, what do I know compared to your slavish devotion to all of this?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 14/01/2020 21:30 by Zint.

Bored rover
Bored rover
14 January, 2020 21:21
Quote:
Zint
1. We sack an award winning grounds an and replace him with poorer quality
2. The problem, if known about for 30 years, might be a reason for not investing in Solar Campus, or China, or the Riverhill, and instead addressing a bread and butter issue which enables the club to deliver what it exists to do - playing football matches.
3. The Walsall pre-season friendly showed that there were serious problems with the pitch that should have been addressed much sooner and could have at least called into question the decision to allow Liverpool ladies to use our pitch.
4. Contrary to popular opinion darkness occurs when the sun goes down, not when Mark and Nicola cover their @#$%& with a duvet.

Ooohhhh, you’ve done it now, taken name of the Almighty Palioses in vein!

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades
14 January, 2020 21:44
Quote:
Bored rover
Quote:
Zint
1. We sack an award winning grounds an and replace him with poorer quality

Ooohhhh, you’ve done it now, taken name of the Almighty Palioses in vein!

Same as goosed, read the whole thread, we haven't had a problem with the pitch for 30 years , the problems have been particularly bad this season for the factual reasons stated. As you add, the problem was apparent at the Walsall friendly but, this would still have left insufficient time to completely relay the pitch sub strata, new drainage and relay the pitch including the top soil base which, from my experience start to finish minimum eight weeks.

You are correct, with hindsight, we shouldn't have allowed Liverpool Ladies to use the pitch

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/01/2020 21:50 by Jack of all Trades.

LongStandingFan
LongStandingFan
14 January, 2020 21:45
If more games get postponed this season due to the condition of the pitch is there any chance that the club could be fined ?...Also games are already starting to build up at a time that we need to improve our league position,....playing too many games over a short space of time could lead to injuries and a run on the squad's resources.

This is @#$%&
This is sh1t
14 January, 2020 21:52
Well done Tranmere for communicating the current issues.
Not so long ago we wouldn’t have heard anything,

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost
14 January, 2020 21:53
Quote:
Zint
1. We sack an award winning grounds man and replace him with poorer quality

1. I would suggest no groundsman could do much about the downpours we have had or the insane amount of rain in general since October.
2a. This is a massive outlay and a big project. The whole of the top soil and subsoil needs aerating and new drains to replace the ones that no longer function. It will take significantly longer than usual end of season relay, cost far more and even then it isn't a magic wand to make all the water disappear. It just improves things. There's no guarantee that the game goes ahead even with refurbished drainage.
2b. Solar Campus was an essential spend as we had no functional training ground at all. We've had two promotions since it was opened. China and the Riverhill are investments. We lose money on day to day operations. We have to invest.
3. Liverpool Ladies brings in money and they bring a side preseason because of this. The funds available to the manager would be smaller, probably quite a bit smaller, without this money. That comes with side effects but were better off with the money than without and risking the odd postponement.
4. You got me. I have no idea if there is some form of unusual illumination or not in their bedroom.

Bored rover
Bored rover
14 January, 2020 21:58
Is the Riverhill and investment? What if it goes under like many business in the leisure sector?

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
14 January, 2020 21:58
Someone's ready for their gripe mixture again....

Maybe you missed "We had always planned to do some major structural work to the substructure of the pitch in the 2020 close season but did not anticipate that the surface would deteriorate as suddenly and quickly as it has."

Or clocked that it isn't a 30 year old problem.

Or noticed that it's "not an issue of either man-power or expertise", in part because "the full-time head groundsman is very highly qualified and experienced."

Or "nor is it an issue of money."

As you asked, what do you know? About the competence of the existing ground staff (you should do their appraisals)? About the bases of the owners' spending decisions, including their own personal funds into their own personal property (how remiss of them not to seek your prior approval)? Or about the key question why the deterioration wasn't anticipated (yet it was patently obvious to you)?

Sorry to inject facts into what looks like your slavish devotion to that chip on you shoulder.

Uptonrover
Uptonrover
14 January, 2020 22:03
Just playing devils advocate Aldosmuzzy but all the things quoted are quite easy to say when the brown stuff has hit the fan “of course we were going to fix it” and to blame today on a storm when the playing surface has been@#$%&for weeks is quite frankly hilarious

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/01/2020 22:05 by Uptonrover.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
14 January, 2020 22:03
Quote:
Bored rover
Is the Riverhill and investment? What if it goes under like many business in the leisure sector?

It's the owners' own business. Cba digging out the club's latest accounts to see if anything has changed but the owners had previously committed to introducing the profits of that business into the club.

stek26
stek26
14 January, 2020 22:05
Good that they have explained it, be good if they give more statements like this on issues regarding the club.

It’s been a problem since well before they got here, games will still get called off in April time.

Looks they they are obviously going to make this a priority now, can anyone remember who played about 4 year ago when the ref called the game off midway through it, ball kept sticking in the water on the Jonny King side, it’s doing my head in, might of been League 2 ??
Think we got free entry into the replay??

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
14 January, 2020 22:07
Quote:
Uptonrover
Just playing devils advocate Aldosmuzzy but all the things quoted are quite easy to say when the brown stuff has hit the fan “of course we were going to fix it” and to blame today on a storm when the playing surface has been@#$%&for weeks is quite frankly hilarious

Yes but Mrs P referenced next summer's plans several weeks ago.

goosed
goosed
14 January, 2020 22:07
So if the pitch stays like this till end of season and games get called off what happens ?

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades
14 January, 2020 22:08
Quote:
stek26
Good that they have explained it, be good if they give more statements like this on issues regarding the club.
It’s been a problem since well before they got here, games will still get called off in April time.

Looks they they are obviously going to make this a priority now, can anyone remember who played about 4 year ago when the ref called the game off midway through it, ball kept sticking in the water on the Jonny King side, it’s doing my head in, might of been League 2 ??
Think we got free entry into the replay??

Notts County, everyone allowed in for free in the rearranged fixture.

Uptonrover
Uptonrover
14 January, 2020 22:10
Quote:
goosed
So if the pitch stays like this till end of season and games get called off what happens ?

Just quote health and safety and everythings all ok, just ask Bolton....

Zint
Zint
14 January, 2020 22:15
Aldo’s muzzy, Iots of words, empty ones

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/01/2020 22:27 by Zint.

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades
14 January, 2020 22:29
I noticed AFC Fylde v Notts County postponed waterlogged pitch.

I would get the contractors back it's only been laid 5 to 6 years must be a latent defect.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
14 January, 2020 22:30
Quote:
Zint
Aldo’s muzzy, Iots of words, empty ones

Case for the prosecution still looks very flimsy.

Zint
Zint
14 January, 2020 22:36
Well, luckily you’re not the judge and jury, so time will tell.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
14 January, 2020 22:43
Quote:
Zint
Well, luckily you’re not the judge and jury, so time will tell.

Doubt too many of the wider fan base will rally around unsubstantiated argument. Heaven help the club if they do.

Zint
Zint
15 January, 2020 00:49
Here’s the substance
The club have known there is a problem with the pitch. We were aware of the seriousness of the problem right at the start of this season but we only tried to address the problem in the week before our biggest game of the season. At the same time we have got rid of an award winning grounds man and not replaces like for like. At the last minute the club have announced that the problem has been known about for some time, but despite this have put money into other activities rather than addressing the pitch.

This next bit is speculation, but I strongly suspect that a poor quality pitch is contributing to our injury problems, making it heavier and causing more stress injuries. In addition it is now costing us revenue as games are postponed. Finally, and this is a huge issue for any organisation, it is having a massive impact on our reputation which is detrimental to our longer term interests at the heart of our local community and as a professional football club.

Pick the bones out of that one.

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades
15 January, 2020 07:58
Quote:
Zint
Here’s the substance
The club have known there is a problem with the pitch. We were aware of the seriousness of the problem right at the start of this season but we only tried to address the problem in the week before our biggest game of the season. At the same time we have got rid of an award winning grounds man and not replaces like for like. At the last minute the club have announced that the problem has been known about for some time, but despite this have put money into other activities rather than addressing the pitch.

This next bit is speculation, but I strongly suspect that a poor quality pitch is contributing to our injury problems, making it heavier and causing more stress injuries. In addition it is now costing us revenue as games are postponed. Finally, and this is a huge issue for any organisation, it is having a massive impact on our reputation which is detrimental to our longer term interests at the heart of our local community and as a professional football club.

The substance, as you call it, has been commented on in earlier posts and you are merely rebadging your opinion. One point , how do you know the current groundsman is not as qualified or better qualified ( I assume your refering to Andy Qualye have you seen the respective CV's). Please educate me, I wasn't aware Andy was an award winning groundsman it must have been some years ago , what was the actual award?

As you say the final paragraph is speculation which, in all cases may or may not prove correct in the fullness of time.

misterecoli
misterecoli
15 January, 2020 08:43
Quote:
Zint
Here’s the substance

Palios on twitter a month ago

Well it's clearly not last minute as it was referenced mid december that the pitch is due to be looked at in 2020 close season. In the replies she also points out that we the facts around getting rid of the groundsman aren't correct.

Seems like a fairly clear statement they put out, not sure why you want to dispute something so frankly dull and start looking at conspiracy theories.

It is what is is, drainage is no good, they thought it would get through the season, turns out it rained a lot so we didn't get away with it, we'll sort it at end of season.

Not ideal, but we are where we are

stek26
stek26
15 January, 2020 09:04
Cheers mate, it kept me up all night thinking of ha.

I see the Oxford v Ipswich game was abandoned temporarily, so it’s not just us. Grounds man went on with rakes, stabbed a few holes in grass then they continued 😂😂👌🏻

Kentexile
Kentexile
15 January, 2020 10:14
I get the frustration, and this whole pitch saga does make us look tin-pot from the outside (let's face it, who apart from Tranmere fans will read the club statement?), but it's hard to feel anything but sympathy for the club over this nightmare.

There's been all level of accusations levelled - penny-pinching, no full time groundsmen, neglect, which seem groundless but still a few people look for a scapegoat. Look at the pitch this time last year for the Tottenham game, it was pristine. Should the club have known then when they were planning the off-season how it was going to spiral downwards in the coming rain-drenched months?

The summer work is going to cost a fortune and the longer-than-usual period without a pitch over the summer will costs us in lost revenue as well. The Palios's put out a very detailed transparent statement explaining exactly what has happened at what we're doing about it. Maybe we should trust that the people at the club know what they are doing and sometime sh## just happens..

Tranmere Tinker
Tranmere Tinker
15 January, 2020 11:40
With MP and NP we have owners that are communicating with the fans for once and explaining in great detail what the issues are, the position we are in and the rationale for not doing things sooner (the pitch wasn't expected to deteriorate so fast this season).

They are doing their best to bring in additional resources for the club, long term income. I'm amazed that people are criticising them for investing in our long term future and financial security.

A few days ago it was the fact that we didn't have any full time groundsmen, now it's changed to the fact that the groundsmen we have isn't as highly qualified (because obviously an additional qualification or an award would have changed the state of the pitch... Not). Some people just want to find fault and imply things could be done so much better despite having no experience or facts. Sheer arrogance.

You support Tranmere, the owners are doing the best they can and a damn sight better than you and most other people could do. If you default position is to make negative assumptions with the little information we have, why don't you try actually getting behind the club and creating a positive culture, look for the postivie things rather than trying to find the negatives.

Uptonrover
Uptonrover
15 January, 2020 11:46
Sympathy? No- its poor maintainence of the underground system that is quoted as being 30 years old and well past its lifespan. It is neglect for whatever reason and im not solely blaming the current owners. Obviously PJ was looking to sell and he wasnt investing in the squad let alone a huge expensive maintainence programme of the playing surface and the below structures. Financial constraints will play a large part, we would have not been happy if we had been relegated to the NL and not brought in players yet had an immaculate playing surface. If we cancel one or two games in prior seasons then i can see the way of thinking of “we’ve got away with it for another season, lets see how we go next season”. Our club exists to play football, that football is played on the pitch not in china or a b&b in oxton. When you take away us playing we take away our main income stream. I would agree they are very good at communicating but its usually after the fact

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/01/2020 11:49 by Uptonrover.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
15 January, 2020 12:06
Except it isn't quoted as being well past its lifespan.

An assessment was made to do some major structural work next summer. Even that does not necessarily imply that the current problems were known about but ignored - indeed they couldn't have been because the full diagnosis only came to light as a result of the testing performed this season.

And frankly these pathetic quips about B&Bs in Oxton are extremely tiresome. It's their own personal business, the profits from which they put into the club. God only knows why that keeps attracting cheap shots.

Uptonrover
Uptonrover
15 January, 2020 12:15
So in the statement NP saying “the underlying substructure is 30 years old and despite its age it has been coping” so what does that indicate to you aldos? Shes hardly saying its in good nick or in its early years? I apologise for quoting the B&b, there known for being vast earning money spinners and surely must be keeping the club running so im grateful. Theres something not quite right at the club this season, many little things not right

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/01/2020 12:19 by Uptonrover.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
15 January, 2020 12:24
Quote:
Uptonrover
So in the statement NP saying “the underlying substructure is 30 years old and despite its age it has been coping” so what does that indicate to you aldos? Shes hardly saying its in good nick or in its early years? I apologise for quoting the B&b, there known for being vast earning money spinners and surely must be keeping the club running so im grateful. Theres something not quite right at the club this season, many little things not right

It tells me that they were right to allocate time and budget to the more extensive work they've planned for next summer.

And, although they're clearly not injecting enough of their own money to satisfy you, it's arrogant in the extreme to slag them off for their own private business.

Uptonrover
Uptonrover
15 January, 2020 12:33
I disagree but there you go

MESSAGES->author
BELMONT
15 January, 2020 12:38
Just remember every one Mark and Nicola with a little help from MM are the people that have brought us back from non league hell.

We will always have a few fans(myself included)will have a moan about some thing but in general I am happy that we have MP and NP at the helm.

This subject about the pitch seem to bring the worst out of some fans so it happened regroup all we want is to battle on stay in this league and start again next season.

Hopefully with a players squad that's ready from day one in League One and a cracking new pitch.

thumbs down

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
15 January, 2020 12:42
Fair enough.
I liken it to my car tyre! I suspected the tread was getting close to its legal limit, Kwik Fit confirmed it when they did the MOT and I budgeted to get it replaced on next month's credit card. If I got a flat in the meantime it doesn't necessarily mean I should've done anything differently.

Uptonrover
Uptonrover
15 January, 2020 12:43
Sensible post by Belmont

misterecoli
misterecoli
15 January, 2020 12:46
Quote:
Uptonrover

If you assessed your roof at home and a roofer said it will be fine this year, but you'll need to look at replacing it next year, you would probably think about saving and planning toward that because that seems the prudent thing to do.

That seems like what's happened here, except the inclement weather has caught us out.

It's just unfortunate, I don't see it as neglect or some catastrophic bad management.

Yiggo
Yiggsy
15 January, 2020 13:11
Just out of interest was the Shaftes' pitch next door playable the other night?

Zint
Zint
15 January, 2020 13:32
Quote:
misterecoli
Quote:
Uptonrover

If you assessed your roof at home and a roofer said it will be fine this year, but you'll need to look at replacing it next year, you would probably think about saving and planning toward that because that seems the prudent thing to do.

That seems like what's happened here, except the inclement weather has caught us out.

It's just unfortunate, I don't see it as neglect or some catastrophic bad management.

Hang on though, the same ‘roofer’ relayed the pitch at the end of last season.

It’s not the same as a roof being fixed or a car tyre being replaced because 3000+ people bought tickets to come along and watch football matches. Plus, to follow the roofing analogy, the roof is getting double the wear and tear cos we’re letting Liverpool ladies use it. We signed a deal with the, so presumably a due diligence assessment was made as to whether we could (1) meet our own fixtures on the pitch and (2) ensure the playing service was up to the additional stress?

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost
15 January, 2020 14:30
Quote:
Zint
Quote:
misterecoli
Quote:
Uptonrover

It’s not the same as a roof being fixed or a car tyre being replaced because 3000+ people bought tickets to come along and watch football matches. Plus, to follow the roofing analogy, the roof is getting double the wear and tear cos we’re letting Liverpool ladies use it. We signed a deal with the, so presumably a due diligence assessment was made as to whether we could (1) meet our own fixtures on the pitch and (2) ensure the playing service was up to the additional stress?
But relaying the pitch is not the same as repairing the land drains. That is a much bigger job that requires a lot more time and effort. The land drains probably aren't even uncovered by those relaying the pitch, their very nature means they are deeper than the turf and top soil levels. It's not something that can be added to an existing job and done at the same time. A more apt analogy might be a roofer finding rotten roof timbers after you have a leak and he repairs the roof but leaves you with the warning that at some point in the relatively near future the whole roof and support trusses will need replacing. It might be next week, but it might be good for another decade or so too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/01/2020 14:38 by Doogie'sGhost.

misterecoli
misterecoli
15 January, 2020 15:45
Quote:
Doogie'sGhost
Quote:
Zint
Quote:
misterecoli
Quote:
Uptonrover

But relaying the pitch is not the same as repairing the land drains. That is a much bigger job that requires a lot more time and effort. The land drains probably aren't even uncovered by those relaying the pitch, their very nature means they are deeper than the turf and top soil levels. It's not something that can be added to an existing job and done at the same time. A more apt analogy might be a roofer finding rotten roof timbers after you have a leak and he repairs the roof but leaves you with the warning that at some point in the relatively near future the whole roof and support trusses will need replacing. It might be next week, but it might be good for another decade or so too.

This. Saved me having to type it, thanks. I really don't see the big issue here, at worst it was a gamble that didn't pay off, but it's hardly wilful neglect

Uptonrover
Uptonrover
15 January, 2020 16:19

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/01/2020 16:20 by Uptonrover.

MESSAGES->author
Phil65
15 January, 2020 16:30
I do see the point about the profile of the club from an external perspective in the microcosm of the football world that we reside in. For somebody who has 100% pride in the club it does put a little chink in that. I'm sure everybody at the club is putting a brave face on, but will be disappointed in the current condition of the arable land. It's hard to make a case against the chants of opposition fans "Your pitch is sh#t, your pitch is sh#t....."; we could try "Come see it next year, come see it next year, it'll be like a carpet, come see it next year".
All this is enough to give you a pitch b1tch stitch!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/01/2020 16:42 by Phil65.

Bored rover
Bored rover
15 January, 2020 19:52
Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy
Except it isn't quoted as being well past its lifespan.
An assessment was made to do some major structural work next summer. Even that does not necessarily imply that the current problems were known about but ignored - indeed they couldn't have been because the full diagnosis only came to light as a result of the testing performed this season.

And frankly these pathetic quips about B&Bs in Oxton are extremely tiresome. It's their own personal business, the profits from which they put into the club. God only knows why that keeps attracting cheap shots.

Because it is mildly amusing if you don’t take the subject matter to seriously, the thought of a B&B supporting a football club, we all know it’s theirs and that it doesn’t support the club, it’s just funny, a bit Brian Potter, other teams getting huge investments from glamorous owners and we got Fawlty Towers.

Ultimately the pitch has been sh.7.e for as long as I can remember and I’ve been going to games for 30 years so I’m not sure why we are all surprised. It did ya well for years as there was only Moggsy could play in that corner by the Kop and Paddock.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
15 January, 2020 20:16
We went for what seemed like years without a postponement in the 90s. Always remember being shocked when I turned up for the home game with (I think) QPR to find it had been frozen off, because our pitch was always reliable. Though yes, that patch in the corner by the Kop/main stand could cut up a bit.

Thinking about it that was best part of 30 years ago. When the secondary drains that have now started packing in we're originally installed. Which probably explains it.

Jeez where does the time go...

Bored rover
Bored rover
15 January, 2020 20:41
Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy
We went for what seemed like years without a postponement in the 90s. Always remember being shocked when I turned up for the home game with (I think) QPR to find it had been frozen off, because our pitch was always reliable. Though yes, that patch in the corner by the Kop/main stand could cut up a bit.
Thinking about it that was best part of 30 years ago. When the secondary drains that have now started packing in we're originally installed. Which probably explains it.

Jeez where does the time go...

It goes League Cup Final to Non League, quite a journey. I think in terms of postponements the game has changed, we don’t play in snow anymore for example, the pitch has to be like a carpet now, mainly down to the “entertainment factor” slightly before my time but you see the videos of Souness and Dalglish running round Anfield and makes our pitch now look like Wembley. Then there were the plastic pitches of Oldham and the like the old carpet burner stuff!

Prenton oldpup
Prenton oldpup
16 January, 2020 12:42
Alternately, We could bus all the white army down to Bury for all our Home games, until the
problem with the pitch is sorted.
I believe they have a pitch that is not in use on a Saturday.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34
16 January, 2020 22:48
Were's Ted when you need him? If he could fix the drainage in the lower field he can fix any football pitch in the land.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades
07 February, 2020 19:21
Returning to the subject of the pitch, I see a Portsmouth player has jumped on the bandwagon about it.

We are told nothing can be done until the closed season, going back to the comments regarding Rochdale having the whole pitch re-turfed before the Spurs FA Cup game a couple of seasons ago, whilst it wasn't perfect and areas cut up, it was a marked improvement on the original surface.

We after next Tuesday, have a window of 3 away games and a period of 18 days in which, we could re-turf the pitch locally. The two wing areas spring to mind the full length of the pitch. I don't know if this is feasible or the finance involved but, would it be worth consideration?

Speaking to a work colleague, who had involvement with the new Man City Academy, it cost £1.1 million a pitch, starting from scratch using the latest seed developments, sub strata base and drainage. Just to show money no object multiply by 17 times, as all the pitches were the same.

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades
07 February, 2020 19:24
I should have added, the weather would need to be right to achieve even a temporary improvement.

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost
07 February, 2020 21:23
Quote:
Jack of all Trades
Returning to the subject of the pitch, I see a Portsmouth player has jumped on the bandwagon about it.
We are told nothing can be done until the closed season, going back to the comments regarding Rochdale having the whole pitch re-turfed before the Spurs FA Cup game a couple of seasons ago, whilst it wasn't perfect and areas cut up, it was a marked improvement on the original surface.

We after next Tuesday, have a window of 3 away games and a period of 18 days in which, we could re-turf the pitch locally. The two wing areas spring to mind the full length of the pitch. I don't know if this is feasible or the finance involved but, would it be worth consideration?

Speaking to a work colleague, who had involvement with the new Man City Academy, it cost £1.1 million a pitch, starting from scratch using the latest seed developments, sub strata base and drainage. Just to show money no object multiply by 17 times, as all the pitches were the same.
In the spring/summer, with significant watering, it takes around 2 weeks to get a freshly laid turf lawn to knit together sufficiently well to use. For football use it would be longer. In winter the time for it to be ready would be doubled unless the weather was extremly favourable. You can use lamps and heaters to speed this up, but not sure that is feasible for a whole pitch. There would be a fair cost involved and there's a fair chance that its cuts up badly the first time it is used unless you spend a lot more for modern synthetic weave which would be wasted money when you rip up the pitch to see to the drainage at season end.

Seed would be a waste of time altogether, it needs sun and warmth to germinate and at least month to be usable.

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades
07 February, 2020 21:40
Never mind it was just a thought, I realise it would be wasted money but, it was as stated a local repair to those two worst areas.

MESSAGES->author
BELMONT
07 February, 2020 22:55
Liverpool Ladies have moved their next home match to Chester's Deva stadium because of the state of our billiard top playing surface at PP.

jim rockford
jim rockford
07 February, 2020 23:00
Quote:
BELMONT
Liverpool Ladies have moved their next home match to Chester's Deva stadium because of the state of our billiard top playing surface at PP.
Actually the Chester FC groundsman would be a good signing (Think he lives on the Wirral) as the pitch at The Deva is always in excellent condition.

MoanerLesser
TRSince1968
08 February, 2020 00:40
The problem is now known. No point in indulging in grass stupidity.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net