Latest news:

Your greatest ever rock album.
Discussion started by hong kong rover (IP Logged), 12 January, 2020 12:16
MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover
12 January, 2020 12:16
Ok chaps, you can only choose one and it can be either studio or live...that album In your collection that you will never ever tire of listening to...I will start off..

Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous...their double live album from 1978 that was only kept off the No 1 spot in the UK album charts by 'Grease.'..quite simply L&D is the greatest ever live rock recording PERIOD...it was rumoured that only 80% of it was live and a few too many overdubs and touching up of the album took place..thats not true, about 92%/93% of it is live and the vast majority of live albums get touched up in some way or other..L&D had some of the backing vocals altered and a tiny bit of the guitar work and that was about it, oh and on one or two of the tracks the audience participation/cheering isnt from a Lizzy concert, its from a David Bowie concert, Lizzys producer on L&D was Tony Visconti, he was also Bowie's producer...the very last track on the album is 'The Rocker' and I cannot think of any way better to finish off a double live rock album, MAQNIFIQUE!....sorry chaps being a bit biased here coz they have always been my fave band of all time...like to hear from others what their one fave album is.

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover
12 January, 2020 12:39
PS...it doesnt have to be rock, any style of music is ok

MESSAGES->author
Elvis
12 January, 2020 12:48
It would be easier if it was just rock. It's hard enough to just pick one album.
I'm struggling to pick one rock album. AC/DC, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, the list goes on. I don't know if I can pick just one rock album. Even harder if any genre and just one album lol

MESSAGES->author
Elvis
12 January, 2020 12:50
Can we pick one rock album from a specific year? Say, best rock album from 1974 or 1976 lol

This is @#$%&
This is sh1t
12 January, 2020 12:52
ACHTUNG BABY

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover
12 January, 2020 12:56
Quote:
Elvis
Can we pick one rock album from a specific year? Say, best rock album from 1974 or 1976 lol

Sorry elvis, you must abide by the rules..lol...that one album of all time.I know its tough but so is life lol.

TimmySoft
TimmySoft
12 January, 2020 13:04
Jimmy eat world - bleed American.

It’s just an impeccably written, produced and performed body of work. I don’t think there’s been a rock album in the last 20 years to touch it.

MESSAGES->author
Elvis
12 January, 2020 13:12
Quote:
TimmySoft
Jimmy eat world - bleed American.
It’s just an impeccably written, produced and performed body of work. I don’t think there’s been a rock album in the last 20 years to touch it.

Yeah, good album. I have on vinyl and the deluxe CD edition.

flips sake, HKR lol

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover
12 January, 2020 13:24
Lol..
Sorry Elvis, I am gonna be really strict on this..no rush to give an immediate answer, sleep on it tonight and come back tmrw with your choice.

MESSAGES->author
sparky100
12 January, 2020 13:44
Every one is different HKR but for me Master of Puppets by Metallica.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2020 13:45 by sparky100.

Uglybob
Uglybob
12 January, 2020 14:10
Without doubt or argument - Physical Graffiti . Greatest album ever by the greatest band ever .

Uglybob
Uglybob
12 January, 2020 14:16
And best Live Album - Live Bullet . Bob at his best .

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover
12 January, 2020 14:20
great stuff so far chaps, I thought I would start this thread to take our minds off all the doom n gloom n relegation threads.

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover
12 January, 2020 14:21
Quote:
Uglybob
And best Live Album - Live Bullet . Bob at his best .

strict rules Bob, lol...you have named 2, only 1 allowed.

Uglybob
Uglybob
12 January, 2020 14:29
Sorry HKR , Physical Graffiti it is then .

Beamish Screamer
Beamish Screamer
12 January, 2020 16:26
Wishbone Ash "Argus" is my number 1

MESSAGES->author
Elvis
12 January, 2020 16:40
Quote:
Beamish Screamer
Wishbone Ash "Argus" is my number 1

Wishbone Ash - Album by Album Discussion

the kav
the kav
12 January, 2020 16:44
Impossible to answer hkr.

Hysteria..... def leppard
Misplaced childhood...... marillion
Live after death..... maiden
Jagged little pill..... alanis morissette
Strangeways here we come... the smiths
Appetite for destruction
Stone Rose's.... stone Rose's
Automatic for the people.... rem
Nevermind.... nirvana
What did you expect from the vaccines
Kick.... inxs

Cannot split these..... I'm a dirty rotten cheat I know! Sorry mate

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost
12 January, 2020 18:51
Live & Dangerous is a great live album for sure. Who cares if they dubbed bits, they captured the energy of Lizzy live perfectly and that is far more important than being 100% true to the actual performance imo.

Like others, picking a best album is too tough. It really depends on my mood and what I want to listen too. I normally plump for Dark Side of the Moon if pushed and can't really think of a reason to psay anything different.

Uglybob
Uglybob
12 January, 2020 19:52
What about the greatest debut album HKR ? What do you reckon ?
Mine would have to be without question 'August and Everything After' - Counting Crows , not a bad track on it .

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover
13 January, 2020 08:16
Quote:
Uglybob
What about the greatest debut album HKR ? What do you reckon ?
Mine would have to be without question 'August and Everything After' - Counting Crows , not a bad track on it .

Not sure what my fave debut album would be, will have to give it some thought...I liked ZZ Tops very first album.

MESSAGES->author
Elvis
13 January, 2020 12:56
I think we should have a dedicated 'difficult third album' thread. Having said that, we should also probably have a 'surprisingly good third album' thread.

MESSAGES->author
Elvis
13 January, 2020 12:57
Some very good albums there, Kav

MESSAGES->author
Elvis
13 January, 2020 13:11
Captain Beefheart's third album 'Trout Mask Replica' really is a difficult third album. Admittedly, I've only listened to it once. And believe me, I had to force myself to sit through it. I find it odd that the album is rated so highly on best album lists. I actually don't know a single living person who has a confirmed listen to this album. I think hipsters pretend to have listened to the album, and rate it because 'they get it'. Personally, I think the album is a huge piss take

It's been said, Stephen Hawkings book, A Brief History of Time is the most rated book that nobody has actually read. I think Captain Beefheart's Trout Mask Replica is the music equivalent to that book

Safe As Milk is without doubt Captain Beefheart's magnum opus. Safe As Milk is deffo in my top 50 favourite albums.

https://66.media.tumblr.com/8db387822ff736c2071d67167cca7085/tumblr_ow3ldcnGr21rpduwho1_400.gifv

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 13/01/2020 13:20 by Elvis.

MESSAGES->author
BELMONT
13 January, 2020 13:15
I submit Exile on Main Street and Blue and Lonesome, It's Only Rock and Roll but I Like It.(Sm60)

LongStandingFan
LongStandingFan
13 January, 2020 13:18
Quote:
hong kong rover
Ok chaps, you can only choose one and it can be either studio or live...that album In your collection that you will never ever tire of listening to...I will start off..
Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous...their double live album from 1978 that was only kept off the No 1 spot in the UK album charts by 'Grease.'..quite simply L&D is the greatest ever live rock recording PERIOD...it was rumoured that only 80% of it was live and a few too many overdubs and touching up of the album took place..thats not true, about 92%/93% of it is live and the vast majority of live albums get touched up in some way or other..L&D had some of the backing vocals altered and a tiny bit of the guitar work and that was about it, oh and on one or two of the tracks the audience participation/cheering isnt from a Lizzy concert, its from a David Bowie concert, Lizzys producer on L&D was Tony Visconti, he was also Bowie's producer...the very last track on the album is 'The Rocker' and I cannot think of any way better to finish off a double live rock album, MAQNIFIQUE!....sorry chaps being a bit biased here coz they have always been my fave band of all time...like to hear from others what their one fave album is.

That is a good album hkr,....recently seen a cover band over here in Ireland called "Thin As Lizzy",...top notch, even to the vocals, and only cost a tenner entrance.......

LongStandingFan
LongStandingFan
13 January, 2020 13:23
Gee hkr,....there are SO SO many great albums......
AC/DC Powerage was really good, but so was Nightwish's Bless The Child, ....and ZZ Top's Eliminator.....and that's without touching Led Zepp's live albums,..lol....

windsorexile
windsorexile
13 January, 2020 13:35
Where you been, Dinosaur Jr (difficult 5th album!).

Uglybob
Uglybob
13 January, 2020 13:37
Quote:
Elvis
Captain Beefheart's third album 'Trout Mask Replica' really is a difficult third album. Admittedly, I've only listened to it once. And believe me, I had to force myself to sit through it. I find it odd that the album is rated so highly on best album lists. I actually don't know a single living person who has a confirmed listen to this album. I think hipsters pretend to have listened to the album, and rate it because 'they get it'. Personally, I think the album is a huge piss take
It's been said, Stephen Hawkings book, A Brief History of Time is the most rated book that nobody has actually read. I think Captain Beefheart's Trout Mask Replica is the music equivalent to that book

Safe As Milk is without doubt Captain Beefheart's magnum opus. Safe As Milk is deffo in my top 50 favourite albums.
The Captain is musical Marmite to me , you either get him or you don't .
Never got to see him but 2 mates saw him years ago and are big Beefheart fans .
I did however see The Magic Band on Eric's about 7 years ago on the recommendation of one of the mates .
Not for me I'm afraid ! I just didn't get it . I'm sure if you were on another plane on acid in the late 60's then it may have made some sense but , nah , not my bag .
A bit like Gong , they're another Marmite band . Try listening to ' Flying Teapot ' without ingesting illegal substances !😊

https://66.media.tumblr.com/8db387822ff736c2071d67167cca7085/tumblr_ow3ldcnGr21rpduwho1_400.gifv

windsorexile
windsorexile
13 January, 2020 13:38
Or blood on the tracks Dylan....great album..but does it count as rock and roll?!?

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost
13 January, 2020 13:39
As for best debuts the Alanis Morrisette one mentioned before takes some beating but I'd probably give the edge to Boston. I've probably forgotten something truly awesome that was a debut though.

As for tricky third albums Boston gets a nod for this too. Third Stage took forever, like a decade, to make, had lost all the sound edge of the original and Scholz was just rehashing the same songs. It sounded like a dull pastiche of their (his) debut.

MESSAGES->author
Elvis
13 January, 2020 14:01
If all your songs mostly sound the same, you're going to make light work of the difficult third album. This no doubt goes some way to explaining Motorhead's third album Bomber.

Bomber easily makes my top 50 albums.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/01/2020 14:03 by Elvis.

Uglybob
Uglybob
13 January, 2020 14:03
Quote:
Elvis
If all your songs mostly sound the same, you're going to make light work of the difficult third album. This no doubt goes some way to explaining Motorhead's third album Bomber.
True on both statements Elvis .

windsorexile
windsorexile
13 January, 2020 14:08
If you're going for best debut album can't beat Up the bracket-the libertines or Stone Roses eponymous first album. Changed my life in 1989!

MESSAGES->author
Elvis
13 January, 2020 14:11
Quote:
Uglybob
Quote:
Elvis
True on both statements Elvis .

Nice one, Bob.

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover
13 January, 2020 14:34
Quote:
LongStandingFan
Quote:
hong kong rover

That is a good album hkr,....recently seen a cover band over here in Ireland called "Thin As Lizzy",...top notch, even to the vocals, and only cost a tenner entrance.......

Nice one LSF, whereabouts in Ireland do you live?

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover
13 January, 2020 16:47
" border="0" alt="" />

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover
13 January, 2020 16:48
best ever ending to a live rock album you could ever imagine....ROCK N ROLL!

spralos baldini
spralos baldini
13 January, 2020 17:21
Sum 41 are an underrated rock band. We’re all to blame is a great rock song. I tried to upload the video but failed miserably 🤣

LongStandingFan
LongStandingFan
13 January, 2020 17:27
Quote:
hong kong rover
Quote:
LongStandingFan
Quote:
hong kong rover

Nice one LSF, whereabouts in Ireland do you live?

Co.Cavan,....not far from the border..... some great live cover bands over here,....but there were so many back in the North West of England.......

spralos baldini
spralos baldini
13 January, 2020 17:40
Hi LSF, I’ve just recently moved to Co. Longford so not too far from you. Have you hear of Fountain DC? Decent rock / punk band from Ireland.

Beamish Screamer
Beamish Screamer
13 January, 2020 18:15
Maybe a bit controversial but as a debut album Sex Pistols Never Mind The Bollocks

taffscouse
taffscouse
13 January, 2020 18:48
Rubber Soul -Beatles
Aftermath by the Stones comes close - where Brian Jones (so underrated) plays multiple instruments.

Uglybob
Uglybob
13 January, 2020 19:00
Quote:
Beamish Screamer
Maybe a bit controversial but as a debut album Sex Pistols Never Mind The Bollocks
Great album / band . I reckon that would get to be my 2nd greatest debut album ( After Counting Crows ) .
There is a YouTube of the band's entrance at Brixton Academy blasting out ' There'll always be an England ' and Steve Jones kicking into Pretty Vacant ( Best intro of all time ) - Makes the hairs stand up !

taffscouse
taffscouse
13 January, 2020 19:17
For other Wishbone Ash fans on here - Live Dates 2 is an essential buy - FUBB sounds immense.
( What does FUBB stand for?)
I spoke to Martin Turner when his band were playing in Chester. He's not keen on Andy Powell.
I suppose that's Rock 'n' Roll?

Beamish Screamer
Beamish Screamer
13 January, 2020 19:37
FUBB appears on the album There's The Rub, the first album to feature Laurie Wisefield. It stands for F**cked up beyond belief.
There have definitely been some disagreements over the years between Powell and Turner

taffscouse
taffscouse
13 January, 2020 20:51
Hi Beamish
Martin Turner told be some negative things about Mr Powell ( although describing him as a 'fine guitar player') which has clouded my judgement about Wishbone ever since.
Still one of my favourite bands.

the kav
the kav
13 January, 2020 20:58
Misplaced childhood was not a bad attempt at a third album following up from script and fugazi. Too many debut albums to mention but stone Rose's, jagged little pill, led zep 1 and bizarrely enough kasabians debut album

Uglybob
Uglybob
13 January, 2020 21:12
Quote:
taffscouse
Hi Beamish
Martin Turner told be some negative things about Mr Powell ( although describing him as a 'fine guitar player') which has clouded my judgement about Wishbone ever since.
Still one of my favourite bands.
Absolutely love Wishbone Ash , one of my fave bands , but , I can never understand how Andy Powell got to keep the name whilst Martin Turner ( The founding member ) has to use ' Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash ' . It's never made any sense to me .

cabletastic
cabletastic
13 January, 2020 22:38
Pixies - Dolittle

LongStandingFan
LongStandingFan
13 January, 2020 23:23
Quote:
spralos baldini
Hi LSF, I’ve just recently moved to Co. Longford so not too far from you. Have you hear of Fountain DC? Decent rock / punk band from Ireland.

No I haven't spralos baldini, but will look out for them doing the rounds. One of the best bands alongside Thin As Lizzy, is IE/DC, a really good AC/DC tribute band that I saw in Omagh, but they are now getting pretty big, and tend to play larger towns/cities like Belfast and Dublin....was only about 5/6 quid each at the time.

LongStandingFan
LongStandingFan
13 January, 2020 23:40
All-in all a great thread hkr,......light-hearted relief when we needed it !!!!!

Prenton Pirate
Prenton Pirate
14 January, 2020 03:54
Great thread and one to get away from the thought of the durge that was Southend.
Two albums I never get tired of listening to are: IN RAINBOWS (Radiohead) and SIMPLE FORMS (Naked and the Famous). The latter I had on CD and wore it out. Now have it downloaded (apologies to traditionalists). It would be hard to chose between the two.
Best debut album recently would have to be: BELLODONNA OF SADNESS (Alexandra Savior). Just love her voice.

the kav
the kav
14 January, 2020 06:12
Terrible thread hkr!!! My car is full of CDs after checking this thread out .

Lol nice one mate

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover
14 January, 2020 07:15
Quote:
the kav
Terrible thread hkr!!! My car is full of CDs after checking this thread out .
Lol nice one mate

Lollers

Yiggo
Yiggsy
14 January, 2020 18:32
Not necessarily rock but this album was my growing up album.

When you think that there were two intense relationships within the band imploding at the time and they wrote about it, candidly, and performed them.

I give you Rumours by Fleetwood Mac.... loved the Peter Green period as well but this was so intense and came out beautiful.

Here is Christine McVie/Perfect's recent BBC4 documentary. What a soulful voice:

[www.bbc.co.uk]

LongStandingFan
LongStandingFan
14 January, 2020 22:25
Quote:
Yiggsy
When you think that there were two intense relationships within the band imploding at the time and they wrote about it, candidly, and performed them.

I give you Rumours by Fleetwood Mac.... loved the Peter Green period as well but this was so intense and came out beautiful.

Here is Christine McVie/Perfect's recent BBC4 documentary. What a soulful voice:

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Rumours certainly was a good album......

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover
15 January, 2020 13:38
Quote:
Yiggsy

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Nice one Yiggsy, I have always liked Fleetwood Mac, but mainly the early period with Peter Green....Green is one of the finest white boy blues guitarists out there, but all those hallucinogenic drugs that he indulged in back in the day completely frazzled his mind and screwed him up...Fully agree about Christine McVie, love her soulful voice....She used to be in a British blues band, Stan Webbs Chicken Shack and they did a really good cover of, ' I'd rather go blind.'... her voice was fantastic on that.

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover
15 January, 2020 13:43
" border="0" alt="" />

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost
15 January, 2020 14:28
Fleetwood Mac were real chameleons as a band, almost as much as Bowie was. A real blues band early, then a slightly psychedelic edge, then basically a commercial folk rock outfit before becoming more pop orientated. Rumours is a fantastic album and do not overlook Lindsey Buckingham as a guitarist. Totally different in style than Green for sure, but he can play.

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover
15 January, 2020 14:31
Quote:
Doogie'sGhost
Fleetwood Mac were real chameleons as a band, almost as much as Bowie was. A real blues band early, then a slightly psychedelic edge, then basically a commercial folk rock outfit before becoming more pop orientated. Rumours is a fantastic album and do not overlook Lindsey Buckingham as a guitarist. Totally different in style than Green for sure, but he can play.

+1 Doogie

Yiggo
Yiggsy
15 January, 2020 14:49
Just found this... The Green Manalishi live!

[www.youtube.com]

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover
15 January, 2020 14:55
Rory Gallagher, Peter Green and Roy Buchanan are 3 of the finest ever white boy blues players.

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover
15 January, 2020 15:52
Out of all those superb African/American electric guitar bluesmen, Freddie King is the one that does it for me, the way he picked at that guitar was something else, so much feeling in his blues.

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover
15 January, 2020 16:21
" border="0" alt="" />

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover
15 January, 2020 16:24
The late great Roy Buchanan doing Roy's bluz in Austin, Texas...The greatest telecaster player I have ever heard.

Eric01 Tranmere
Eric01 Tranmere
16 January, 2020 16:01
The Clash, London Calling, or perhaps Sandinista, or perhaps their first album.

MESSAGES->author
Elvis
16 January, 2020 19:31

Hampshire White
Hampshire White
16 January, 2020 19:31
Budgie, Banderlero, Quality, plus Montose, Bad moter scooter, a great track.

Uglybob
Uglybob
16 January, 2020 20:30
Indeed Hampshire , what an overlooked band Budgie were .
Bandolier is a great album with the superb Napoleon Bonaparte one and two . I'm sure Metallica doing Breadfan has given Burke Shelley a very handsome pension I'm sure !

Beamish Screamer
Beamish Screamer
16 January, 2020 20:52
Another fantastic album is Look at Yourself by Uriah Heep. I saw them live in the 80s on the Isle of Man during TT week. They are still playing live.

LongStandingFan
LongStandingFan
16 January, 2020 22:05
Quote:
Hampshire White
Budgie, Banderlero, Quality, plus Montose, Bad moter scooter, a great track.

Budgie... a great band,...bought their first album and wow, the bass and drums just burst out of the speakers back in the early 1970's......... they had some great tracks over the years/albums....Power Supply another good album. Montrose also good........ Space Station No.5...!!!!

MESSAGES->author
Elvis
19 January, 2020 15:14
Quote:
cabletastic
Pixies - Dolittle

deffo in my top 50 albums. I like the cover of Surfer Rosa better. I have that on vinyl also

https://i.ibb.co/9rr1hhh/20200119-145959.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/01/2020 16:00 by Elvis.

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover
19 January, 2020 15:17
Nice turntable there Elvis!

MESSAGES->author
Elvis
19 January, 2020 15:20
Thank you, HKR.

https://i.ibb.co/WyKZH81/20190910-125530.jpg

MESSAGES->author
Elvis
19 January, 2020 15:23
Joy Division.

https://i.ibb.co/RbSmy83/20190907-120017.jpg

MESSAGES->author
Elvis
23 January, 2020 19:38

MESSAGES->author
Elvis
07 February, 2020 22:59

Yiggo
Yiggsy
08 February, 2020 00:32
Loved 1979 by Smahing Pumpkins but couldn't get into most of their other stuff.

How's about a bit of Radiohead with Weird Fishes on Jools? Magic!

[www.youtube.com]

MoanerLesser
AccountLogicallyDeleted
08 February, 2020 00:37
Quote:
Yiggsy
Loved 1979 by Smahing Pumpkins but couldn't get into most of their other stuff.
How's about a bit of Radiohead with Weird Fishes on Jools? Magic!

[www.youtube.com]

I like Radiohead but unsure they are 'Rock' per se.

Uriah Heep Salisbury is my favourite

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net