Latest news:

Manny v The Beast
Discussion started by hong kong rover (IP Logged), 03 November, 2019 10:44
MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover
03 November, 2019 10:44
I've just been taking a look at the boxing calendar for the week ahead and no mention of the big super heavyweight bout at Prenton this Saturday...Go on Manny, kick his f*cking ass..!

stek26
stek26
03 November, 2019 11:19
The new McNulty v Rhead rivalry.

I think having a big man to mark will suit him more.
I watched the Rotherham game last week on iptv (well 2nd half), Wycombe are solid if unspectacular.

Good League experience in their ranks in Charles & Stewart at the back, along with Jacobson and Bloomfield who must be getting on now - they’ve been around forever.
They do have some live wires on the wings in Aaron’s & Kashket who played off the beast.

Obviously the surprise of the season, I think we can get at them. Be interesting to see if Mickey changes the lineup - I hope to god he doesn’t!

Maybe he will experiment in the cup ready for the league game against them following week, who knows?

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover
03 November, 2019 11:29
If the FA Cup game goes to a replay, then I am not sure when the replay date will be..There is a possibility that we could be facing Wycombe 3 times in the space of just 11/12 days.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2019 11:31 by hong kong rover.

the baldy one
the baldy one
03 November, 2019 11:35
seeing that we now have a complete free week and our next two games are in two different cup competitions I think against the chairboys next Saturday we should play the stiffs and keep our best players for the home game v the chairboys in the league a few days later. it is more important to stay in league one than getting to the second round of the sweet fa cup. also the game inbetween the two Wycombe games is Salford city at home in the leasing.com we are already in the next round so again I would play the stiffs and give the best players the night off.

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover
03 November, 2019 11:38
play our strongest line up in both Wycombe games, always the chance of a lucrative and live TV game against one of the biggies in the 3rd round.

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13
03 November, 2019 11:55
yes, without the FA cup we would not have been promoted last year.

even getting a non league tie away in the next round can mean money coming in.

we hit the jackpot last year in that we got non league opposition and drew meaning midweek tv ties followed by a plum home tie on the box. we could not have hand picked a better 3 rounds, other than the THFC result.

in the end, that money enabled us to be where we are now.

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover
03 November, 2019 11:57
Quote:
mrGr33n13
yes, without the FA cup we would not have been promoted last year.
even getting a non league tie away in the next round can mean money coming in.

we hit the jackpot last year in that we got non league opposition and drew meaning midweek tv ties followed by a plum home tie on the box. we could not have hand picked a better 3 rounds, other than the THFC result.

in the end, that money enabled us to be where we are now.

+1

Uglybob
Uglybob
03 November, 2019 12:25
Quote:
hong kong rover
Quote:
mrGr33n13
yes, without the FA cup we would not have been promoted last year.
even getting a non league tie away in the next round can mean money coming in.

we hit the jackpot last year in that we got non league opposition and drew meaning midweek tv ties followed by a plum home tie on the box. we could not have hand picked a better 3 rounds, other than the THFC result.

in the end, that money enabled us to be where we are now.

+1
+2

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
03 November, 2019 12:50
Reinvesting the Norburn fee into the squad in January was arguably as big a factor in our promotion as the Cup run. We'd been lining up Perkins, for example, since October according to the club, before the cup run started.

Either way, we should be going all out for the win next week. If the squad can't cope with an FA Cup run to, say, the third round we wouldn't deserve to stay up...especially as the first two rounds would be blank Saturdays anyway. No reason at all why we can't do both - we coped easily enough last season.

We might tweak the system a bit or a shuffle one or two personnel so as not to overplay our hand for the following week but we should be focusing on ourselves, not getting too bogged down in 'mind games'. It's only Wycombe Wanderers, for goodness sake!



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2019 12:59 by Aldo'smuzzy.

DevonExile
DevonExile
03 November, 2019 13:24
I agree that we should play a strong side in the FA cup.It is also an opportunity to give sometime to those returning from injury.
Ainsworth is a really good manager and I suspect his budget for players is far from generous. The clash between him and MM will be as interesting as any on field clash

Zint
Zint
05 November, 2019 07:55
I was going to miss this game, but have decided to go anyway.

Whilst I understand income from the FA Cup is useful I would much rather we concentrate on the League. By my reckoning we need another 11 wins to secure our League place, 12 possibly if Bolton hit form.

Prenton Pirate
Prenton Pirate
05 November, 2019 11:53
Definitely play strong team in FAC. Salford game will see squad players used. Maybe a few tweaks here and there. Such as giving Jacob Maddox a game (will surely play v Salford). Wouldn't mind seeing H-M & B-T both up front, reckon they would be a nightmare to defend against.

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover
05 November, 2019 14:58
League game v Wycombe on tv Sunday the 17th at 12 pm ,I will be behind the couch again I suspect

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover
05 November, 2019 15:45
No matter what predicament/situation/league table position a club may find itself in, it should always field its strongest side in the FA Cup.

MESSAGES->author
Phil65
05 November, 2019 17:27
Quote:
hong kong rover
No matter what predicament/situation/league table position a club may find itself in, it should always field its strongest side in the FA Cup.

Totally agree.I hate the way it's been undermined in recent times. The original criticism was aimed at the Premier League clubs, but now the apathy has spread through the lower leagues. As a football fan it still gets my juices flowing and it would be foolish to ignore the potential financial gain, although the glamour, drama, shocks, history and boyhood dreams does it for me.

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover
05 November, 2019 17:51
Quote:
Phil65
Quote:
hong kong rover
No matter what predicament/situation/league table position a club may find itself in, it should always field its strongest side in the FA Cup.

Totally agree.I hate the way it's been undermined in recent times. The original criticism was aimed at the Premier League clubs, but now the apathy has spread through the lower leagues. As a football fan it still gets my juices flowing and it would be foolish to ignore the potential financial gain, although the glamour, drama, shocks, history and boyhood dreams does it for me.

+1 Phil... and waiting in excited anticipation for our number being drawn out of the hat in those FA Cup draws, in the hope that we may get one of the biggies or praying that we avoid Peterboro', is something special too..



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2019 17:54 by hong kong rover.

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover
05 November, 2019 18:00
FA Cup 3rd round draw day is one of the best days in the footy calendar, really hope we can make it there again just like last season.

MESSAGES->author
Phil65
05 November, 2019 18:43
Quote:
hong kong rover
Quote:
Phil65
Quote:
hong kong rover
No matter what predicament/situation/league table position a club may find itself in, it should always field its strongest side in the FA Cup.

Totally agree.I hate the way it's been undermined in recent times. The original criticism was aimed at the Premier League clubs, but now the apathy has spread through the lower leagues. As a football fan it still gets my juices flowing and it would be foolish to ignore the potential financial gain, although the glamour, drama, shocks, history and boyhood dreams does it for me.

+1 Phil... and waiting in excited anticipation for our number being drawn out of the hat in those FA Cup draws, in the hope that we may get one of the biggies or praying that we avoid Peterboro', is something special too..

😀 If we get a plum draw as per Spurs last season, I celebrate like we've won the cup!

Loyden1
Loyden1
05 November, 2019 18:58
Quote:
hong kong rover
FA Cup 3rd round draw day is one of the best days in the footy calendar, really hope we can make it there again just like last season.
I can remember as a schoolboy listening at lunchtime on a crackling radio CHELSEAHOME. That was about 1964 couldn't concentrate all afternoon

MESSAGES->author
Phil65
05 November, 2019 19:01
Quote:
Loyden1
Quote:
hong kong rover
FA Cup 3rd round draw day is one of the best days in the footy calendar, really hope we can make it there again just like last season.
I can remember as a schoolboy listening at lunchtime on a crackling radio CHELSEAHOME. That was about 1964 couldn't concentrate all afternoon

Nice one Loyden, I bet your still the same now; we never grow up! 😀

Loyden1
Loyden1
05 November, 2019 20:40
Sure am phil

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover
05 November, 2019 20:47
As a kid the FA Cup was king ,up early ,they had a section on the run up called ,how “”they got there” all about the finalists route to the final ,the crowd with the old rattles and if Northern the legend “up for cup”on flags and banners ,showing the team buses coming through London the camera picking out the players by the windows ,a nice posh Leyland Tiger cub coach ,as I have mention before to me the new stadium doesn’t have the feel of the old one ,disgrace taking the twin towers away ,the Arch is at best ok ,the old football books always showed the towers and every avid football supporter all over the world recognised them ,the trouble is the big teams downgrade the FA cup for the European cup and other’s because they have to stay in the Premiership ,the first 3 rounds are the most interesting because of the shocks factor,I think I am one of only a few members of the SWA who actually seen sir Alf Ramsey play, Rovers v Spurs 1952/3 1-1 lost replay 9-1

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13
05 November, 2019 21:20
"i think I am one of only a few members of the SWA who actually seen sir Alf Ramsey play, Rovers v Spurs 1952/3 1-1 lost replay 9-1 "

that is quality. what was he like as a player, miles ahead of everyone else i guess?

used to love the build up for the cup final and also the semi finals being on the same day.

not many game on the TV then so was glorious

Kentexile
Kentexile
06 November, 2019 08:35
I'm all for going for it in the FA Cup - we should play our strongest team.
League survival is the most important thing this season but a decent cup run could help us achieve that this season and give us more funds to play with to shore up the squad in the summer. Not only the prize money and gate receipts, but the possibility of TV money and good exposure for the club, getting more of the good people of the Wirral to notice what a good thing they have on their doorstep, it all helps.

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover
06 November, 2019 08:51
Don’t remember much about that game in 52/53 Mrgr I just know he played ,Lloyd Iceton hit the post in the last few minutes .not sure how to spell his name but the star at Spurs then was Len Duqemen prolific goalscorer the 9-1 pasting in the replay remains our heaviest defeat and their best win but agree as a lower league club we should strive to go as far as possible ,you don’t know how much money one of the little coloured balls out the bag will fetch .

kennyspint
kennyspint
09 November, 2019 01:19
Quote:
hong kong rover
No matter what predicament/situation/league table position a club may find itself in, it should always field its strongest side in the FA Cup.
Deffo

kennyspint
kennyspint
09 November, 2019 01:20
Quote:
Phil65
Quote:
hong kong rover
No matter what predicament/situation/league table position a club may find itself in, it should always field its strongest side in the FA Cup.

Totally agree.I hate the way it's been undermined in recent times. The original criticism was aimed at the Premier League clubs, but now the apathy has spread through the lower leagues. As a football fan it still gets my juices flowing and it would be foolish to ignore the potential financial gain, although the glamour, drama, shocks, history and boyhood dreams does it for me.
Deffo

kennyspint
kennyspint
09 November, 2019 01:23
Quote:
mrGr33n13
"i think I am one of only a few members of the SWA who actually seen sir Alf Ramsey play, Rovers v Spurs 1952/3 1-1 lost replay 9-1 "
that is quality. what was he like as a player, miles ahead of everyone else i guess?

used to love the build up for the cup final and also the semi finals being on the same day.

not many game on the TV then so was glorious
Deffo

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover
09 November, 2019 05:35
Deffo Deffo Deffo, Kenny lol.

MESSAGES->author
Phil65
09 November, 2019 07:35
Quote:
hong kong rover
Deffo Deffo Deffo, Kenny lol.

Kenny trendsetter, deffo is the new +1! Lol! (predictive text doesn't like it, prefering defrosted or Defoe!)

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades
09 November, 2019 08:45
Aldo missing the penalty as well.

Just shows the pressure, I don't remember him missing many penalties for us.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
09 November, 2019 09:57
Quote:
hong kong rover
I've just been taking a look at the boxing calendar for the week ahead and no mention of the big super heavyweight bout at Prenton this Saturday...Go on Manny, kick his f*cking ass..!

Article on the Wycombe fans site reckons Manny's done a good job on Akinfenwa in past meetings.

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover
09 November, 2019 10:00
Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy
Quote:
hong kong rover
I've just been taking a look at the boxing calendar for the week ahead and no mention of the big super heavyweight bout at Prenton this Saturday...Go on Manny, kick his f*cking ass..!

Article on the Wycombe fans site reckons Manny's done a good job on Akinfenwa in past meetings.

thks Aldo, that's good to hear, hopefully it continues today.

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover
10 November, 2019 12:42
See that Akinfenwa only came on for the last 20 mins..Did he make any impact or did Manny have him in his pocket?

dnors
dnors
10 November, 2019 13:26
Did very little for me Akinfenwa HKR, not enough time to judge him up against Manny really, Akinfenwa bullied him once put him on the deck but looked a foul for me, nothing to fear from any of their players.

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover
10 November, 2019 13:52
Quote:
dnors
Did very little for me Akinfenwa HKR, not enough time to judge him up against Manny really, Akinfenwa bullied him once put him on the deck but looked a foul for me, nothing to fear from any of their players.

ok, thks dnors.

MESSAGES->author
Phil65
10 November, 2019 13:54
Quote:
dnors
Did very little for me Akinfenwa HKR, not enough time to judge him up against Manny really, Akinfenwa bullied him once put him on the deck but looked a foul for me, nothing to fear from any of their players.
Also came close with a header near the end. Lots of savvy obviously gets him through games as, height wise, he looks relatively small, but effective with the "subtle" pushes to put others off balance.

Muir the merrier
Muir the merrier
10 November, 2019 15:13
Phil, if Akinfenwa was chasing you down a dark alley would he look so relatively small then ? Lol.

Reads the game well, doesn't have to run around like a headless chicken ....knows all the tricks.

MESSAGES->author
Phil65
10 November, 2019 15:24
Quote:
Muir the merrier
Phil, if Akinfenwa was chasing you down a dark alley would he look so relatively small then ? Lol.
Reads the game well, doesn't have to run around like a headless chicken ....knows all the tricks.

Lol, at the speed he was moving yeterday, he'd never catch me!

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon
10 November, 2019 19:30
Quote:
hong kong rover
See that Akinfenwa only came on for the last 20 mins..Did he make any impact or did Manny have him in his pocket?

There was one moment near the end when Davies received a back pass and if he'd have looked up as he was about to clear it,he'd have seen Akinfenwa charging at him,big target to miss.


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net