Latest news:

Wages
Discussion started by stek26 (IP Logged), 29 October, 2019 10:41
stek26
stek26
29 October, 2019 10:41
[www.footy.com]

Just found this on wages, from the Prem down to League 2 for the 2018-19 season and thought it may be of interest.

Obviously, unsure how accurate it is but someone has done a lot of research on this.
It gives you a rough gauge and shows how much shrewd business would have to be done to compete this season, let alone in the Championship.

Without doing the maths it looks like we had a mid table to top third budget last season, showing the excellent work done by Mickey!

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69
29 October, 2019 16:46
Interesting. Rovers players did well to be promoted with the 12th highest wage bill.!The players and MM did us proud.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
29 October, 2019 17:26
In a similar vein this graphic, prepared by 'The Price of Football', was doing the rounds on Twitter after the Sunderland game: [pbs.twimg.com]

It's a year on year comparison of Sunderland's revenue and wage bill compared to ours. 2018 figures were:
Income - £63.7m versus £4.6m
Wages - £46.8m versus £4m

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades
29 October, 2019 17:34
Just shows how Bury got into financial trouble, almost £700 per week more than our lads and assuming a squad of 25 equates to approx. £910,000.00 (based on 52 weeks)

Bearing in mind this has been going on for a number of years and the above figure represents one season!!!

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades
29 October, 2019 17:40
The average Bury player therefore, is on just under 100k per season which, is staggering.

I am no where near that having worked, so far, for 47 years even allowing for the short playing career.

DevonExile
DevonExile
29 October, 2019 18:41
Are wages just that of players or do the figures relate to the total payroll of the club?. At Bury the owner was taking a very big chunk in consultancy frees and I,wonder whether that is part of the wage bill
Football at this level is both a short and precarious career. For a division 1 club 100k does not seem an unreasonable rate of pay for a regular first teamer.

davep63
davep63
29 October, 2019 18:42
Quote:
Jack of all Trades
The average Bury player therefore, is on just under 100k per season which, is staggering.
I am no where near that having worked, so far, for 47 years even allowing for the short playing career.
It would take me four years to ern that kind of money Jack, footballers wages are obscene especially the championship and money grabbing premiership SWA

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades
29 October, 2019 19:03
100k is a lot when you can't legitimately pay it and go into administration or liquidation, as a result.

The quoted figures are players wages only, I believe.

Put another way, in Burys case, that's a wage bill of almost 2.5 million

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/10/2019 19:05 by Jack of all Trades.

Bored rover
Bored rover
31 October, 2019 18:07
Its not all about what you pay the players, having money makes it easier obviously. However conversely it makes the job more difficult at the same time, if you have it to spend you have no excuse. All the clubs in our division could pay the players 80k a week per head, theres still only 3 that can be promoted and 3 still have to get relegated. Not being too wage earners can equally be a centre for team morale proving you are as good and making teams have it.

Kentexile
Kentexile
01 November, 2019 13:01
Can it be right that Sheff Utd got promoted from the Championship with the 3rd-lowest wage per players costs?? And Notts County's would have been (just about) top-half in L1!
I don't know if these are accurate, but if they are then they go to show that playing budget is not everything.

FloodlitFridays
FloodlitFridays
01 November, 2019 17:54
Quote:
Kentexile
Can it be right that Sheff Utd got promoted from the Championship with the 3rd-lowest wage per players costs?? And Notts County's would have been (just about) top-half in L1!
I don't know if these are accurate, but if they are then they go to show that playing budget is not everything.

All further emphasises what a stellar job MM’s done here.

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13
01 November, 2019 21:14
average player wage doesnt really mean everything, it's total wage bill that is the better metric

i'm not sure the figures are correct anyway.

sheff united wage bill the season before last was 19m which would indicate a much higher average weekly wage than £5k

my guess is they used the figures from their stay in league 1 where their wage bill was near half its championship level

notts county where a mess, had a huge squad were shipping 50k a week, didnt pay players at times and had a rotation policy when it came to managers. their owner took them down.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2019 21:15 by mrGr33n13.

kennyspint
kennyspint
01 November, 2019 23:34
Tranmere Rovers punching above our weight. Long may it continue. SWA

MESSAGES->author
Matt34
02 November, 2019 21:35
Quote:
mrGr33n13
sheff united wage bill the season before last was 19m which would indicate a much higher average weekly wage than £5k

Well if that was a club with around 35 players let's say, then £19,000,000 over 52 weeks equates to roughly £380,000 a week, which divided 35 ways means an average wage of roughly £11,000 per person, but when there's 4-5 juniors on potentially less than £1,000 a week and you have wage fluctuation in the summer, the average spent on over 21's / 22's could be possibly £2,000 - £3,000 above that average.

Put it this way, if their best players got into the Premier league last season on £15,000 - £16,000 a week deals, I wouldn't be surprised.

Chances are even with Tranmere's improved financial structuring these days, they would be doing well to have a wage bill worth 10% of that and if I was to hazard a guess at this seasons budget, I'd say it would be around 8% of £19,000,000, which is around £1,520,000.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

kennyspint
kennyspint
02 November, 2019 21:51
Nice analysis Matt

MESSAGES->author
Matt34
02 November, 2019 22:06
(Sm100)(Sm5)

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

warren r
Wozza
03 November, 2019 02:05
Quote:
kennyspint
Nice analysis Matt
😂😩my Head hurts

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
09 November, 2019 12:57
Just stumbled across a newspaper inerview from a few months ago with Joe Sealy, Les Sealy's son who's currently trying to buy Macclesfield. He was also considering buying Bury at the time and, although Bury were denying rumours that they were paying players £10k a week, Sealy did state that one player was on £8k a week. Staggering figure for a fourth division footballer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net