Latest news:

Loanees
Discussion started by Bored rover (IP Logged), 09 October, 2019 06:56
Bored rover
Bored rover
09 October, 2019 06:56
Too many loan players IMO. Just don't think they work with MMs style unless they are here with a view to a long term contract. If your here til Jan for game time and MM demands you run you’re boocks off everyday or you wont play, what incentive is there. You check in with your home club weekly and either return in Jan calling him a Richard or have the loan cut early. Yes they offer a cheap alternative to your own players usually on a 60/40 basis but I think we would have faired better saving up all the 60s and the money spent in hope on others and signed one or two real quality players, if long term affordability was an issue should we get relegated then give then a one year deal. IMO our improvement since dropping out of the league came from abandoning loaners and building team spirit amongst our own staff.

the baldy one
the baldy one
09 October, 2019 08:21
i can see were your coming from. if I am correct about 5 or 6 years ago - we never had our own first choice goalkeeper so we had to play a loan keeper for the whole season which is crazy. I think the most loans any club can have at the same time is either 6 or 8. but even that is to much. I would limit it to 4 at the most. I think one of the main reasons we got relegated to non league 4 years ago was because that season we had used so many loan players no one knew who was coming and who was going so the whole season was unsettled and we suffered for it.

Kentexile
Kentexile
09 October, 2019 08:40
I don't agree. As well as filling some gaps without committing for 2 years or paying fees we can't afford, there's also a try-before-you buy element. This was how we ended up acquiring Monthe, Nelson, Banks, Gilmour and Morris - all good signings IMO.

We have 5 loanees at the moment - CBJ, RHM, Wilson, Maddox, Ponticelli. That's only about one-fifth of our senior squad (unless I've missed someone?). If one or two get rotated out at Christmas, personally I wouldn't mind a couple more coming in, especially if we think we might be interested to sign in the summer.

BELMONT
BELMONT
09 October, 2019 10:06
Nothing wrong with loan players,Pat Nevin was a cracking loan player just need one or two like him.

Eric01 Tranmere
Eric01 Tranmere
09 October, 2019 12:11
Aren't loan players what we can afford to simply fill a gap from time to time?

Uptonrover
Uptonrover
09 October, 2019 12:38
Would be a good point - if any of them were regular first team players for us

Zint
Zint
09 October, 2019 13:49
I don’t understand why we have Pontecelli.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon
09 October, 2019 13:57
Quote:
Kentexile
I don't agree. As well as filling some gaps without committing for 2 years or paying fees we can't afford, there's also a try-before-you buy element. This was how we ended up acquiring Monthe, Nelson, Banks, Gilmour and Morris - all good signings IMO.
We have 5 loanees at the moment - CBJ, RHM, Wilson, Maddox, Ponticelli. That's only about one-fifth of our senior squad (unless I've missed someone?). If one or two get rotated out at Christmas, personally I wouldn't mind a couple more coming in, especially if we think we might be interested to sign in the summer.

+1

Bored rover
Bored rover
09 October, 2019 21:07
Quote:
Kentexile

3rd line unless with a view to long term contract

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
09 October, 2019 21:13
With the big clubs hoovering up all the young talent and carrying huge squads we'd be foolish to ignore the loan market, even for players we'd never get permanently. I'd draw a big distinction between that and some of the junk we borrowed when we fell out of the league,

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.