Latest news:

associate members cup = leasing.com trophy
Discussion started by the baldy one (IP Logged), 08 October, 2019 12:06
the baldy one
the baldy one
08 October, 2019 12:06
i am not sure if many Tranmere rovers know but the leasing.com trophy actually started in the 1983-1984 season and it was called the associate members cup. since then it has had i think 9 different names and it has changed its look 9 times aswell. also it was once a big shield trophy similar to the community shield. the whole format of the tournament over the years has changed aswell. as every Tranmere fan knows - in the first season of the competition we got to the northern final away v hull city ( i was there) - but we got beat 1-4. bobby Hutchinson scored our goal that night. the first final of the competition in 1983-1984 was hull city v Bournemouth ( the northern final winners v the southern final winners) played at boothferry park hull city. Bournemouth with harry redknapp as boss won 2-1. if i am correct aswell - our very first game in this competition was in 1983-1984 in the first round v Halifax town at home. and i am pretty certain the attendance was about 800. how times have changed.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
08 October, 2019 12:24
Not forgetting us winning the thing in 1990 in front of almost 50,000 at Wembley. The latter stages of the competition had some real excitement for us in those days, and I still remember pinching myself that I was watching a Tranmere captain walking up the 39 steps and lifting a Trophy in the home of football.

Different times indeed.

hong kong rover
hong kong rover
08 October, 2019 13:00
I remember that night at Hull well, they used to have 6 massive tall floodlights at Boothferry Park. we took 1,500 fans that night which was a huge amount then considering our home attendances were only about 1,200..remember great fish n chips after the game..it was the night before the 1984 FA Cup final Everton v Watford, and I recall Howard Kendall giving us a mention on BBC Cup Final Grandstand, saying in his post match interview, ' And I would also like to congratulate Bryan Hamilton and his Tranmere side for their efforts in reaching the Northern area final at Hull last night.' I thought it decent of Kendall to give us a mention on Nationwide TV with millions viewing in...Ronny Goodlass played for us that night, the one handed winger, always played in long sleeve shirts coz he only had one hand....A Mars bar for the first person to tell me how he lost his hand....

the baldy one
the baldy one
08 October, 2019 13:38
hong kong rover - in your thred you mention that the hull city match was on a Friday night and we took 1500 fans to boothferry park. you are absolutely correct and also you mention that on the bbc coverage of the fa cup final - everton v Watford howard kendall was interviewed and mentioned that he was keeping an eye out for our result up at boothferry park. I remember it very well. I thought it was nice of him to mention us on build up to the fa cup final. going on to ronny goodlass - yes I think I know how he lost his hand- was he not doing some sort of work in his garden with a kind of electrical saw and he lost control of it and he suffered his terrible accident. also I have a question for you about ronny goodlass - RONNY GOODLASS ONLY EVER SCORED ONE GOAL FOR TRANMERE ROVERS - WHICH TEAM DID HE SCORE AGAINST AND WHAT COMPETITION WAS IT IN.

hong kong rover
hong kong rover
08 October, 2019 13:55
Quote:
the baldy one
hong kong rover - in your thred you mention that the hull city match was on a Friday night and we took 1500 fans to boothferry park. you are absolutely correct and also you mention that on the bbc coverage of the fa cup final - everton v Watford howard kendall was interviewed and mentioned that he was keeping an eye out for our result up at boothferry park. I remember it very well. I thought it was nice of him to mention us on build up to the fa cup final. going on to ronny goodlass - yes I think I know how he lost his hand- was he not doing some sort of work in his garden with a kind of electrical saw and he lost control of it and he suffered his terrible accident. also I have a question for you about ronny goodlass - RONNY GOODLASS ONLY EVER SCORED ONE GOAL FOR TRANMERE ROVERS - WHICH TEAM DID HE SCORE AGAINST AND WHAT COMPETITION WAS IT IN.

Yes, spot on Baldy, he lost his hand in an accident with a power tool..I have no idea in which game he scored his solitary goal for the Rovers..I think he only played about 25 games approx for Rovers..

the baldy one
the baldy one
08 October, 2019 14:22
hong kong rover - yes ronny goodlass only played for us during the 1983-1984 season. I will tell you the answer to my ronny goodlass question. it was in the 2nd round of the associate members cup v chester city at home - we won 4-1 and mark hilditch of all people scored his only hattrick for Tranmere and ronny goodlass got the other goal. and believe it or not - lee Dixon the arsenal legend played for chester that night. ( a very young lee Dixon - from what I remember he looked like a paperboy).

hong kong rover
hong kong rover
08 October, 2019 15:03
Ok thks Baldy, more than likely I would have been at that Chester game but I have absolutely no recollection of it..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.