Latest news:

VAR and offside
Discussion started by Bored rover (IP Logged), 20 September, 2019 20:31
Bored rover
Bored rover
20 September, 2019 20:31
Total bolocks some of these offsides. The FA have got it really wrong here. They need to take a leaf from the book of sports who have been using video for decades. For example in track races its the upper body/torso which determines the time/winner not limbs. I feel the PL has to go this way of using the torso, how can a foot or arm be offside?

EBAWB
EBAWB
20 September, 2019 20:35
Should be the foot

Every ball's a white ball

Bored rover
Bored rover
20 September, 2019 20:54
Either-way they need some sort of guidance as its ridiculous at the moment, also think the check should be instigated by the ref like rugby league, make a decision such as goal but check for a block on a the centre half and unless VAR shows it to be clearly against the refs decision it stands. Like if you have to draw lines to determine off side then its not offside and the refs decision counts unless the ref has determined it offside already.

EBAWB
EBAWB
20 September, 2019 20:58
Or maybe each team's manager is allowed two reviews. Nobody else need be involved. That should sort out the clear and obvious error criteria.

Every ball's a white ball

Bored rover
Bored rover
20 September, 2019 21:04
Yeah agreed, like the cricket!

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13
20 September, 2019 21:11
it's dragging the game back to the dark ages of arsenal's back four and italia 90 style defences.

at some point some part of the body is going to be offside.

the game made conscious efforts to give the attckers the benefit of the doubt and to restrict offside decisions to narrow phases of play. they did this as the offside trap was so effective as to neutralise attacks and golas were being struck off because of people not even able to play the ball being offside.

now no benefit of the doubt goes to the attacker as in some part of some frame, a part of the body will be ahead of the defender. and we're taking minutes to rule out goals that would undoubtedly have stood before.

same with the new offensive handball. all the benefit goes to the defending team and it is sucking the life out of games.

Bored rover
Bored rover
20 September, 2019 21:21
Yep its a joke shop, all the defenders are cramming into size 6 boots to catch attackers out, also when do you determine the point at which the ball is kicked? Along with the fact attackers are always shifting their weight towards the goals defenders away from it.

kennyspint
kennyspint
20 September, 2019 23:31
I've been on here before on many occasions. Bin the off side law. Hangover from the Association Rugby split in the 19th century. Open up the pitch and allow Norwood to miss one on ones without interference from the officials.

MESSAGES->author
Phil65
21 September, 2019 08:46
It should be clear distance between the attacker and defender; the current offside is adding negativity to the game. I'd shove the current offside law up as VAR as possible where the sun don't shine, inflicting maximum damage (preferably one of the law makers or I'd settle for one of the reviewers; I'd probably enjoy it more if it was a referee!).

the kav
the kav
21 September, 2019 10:48
We didnt complain about technology in the play off semi

MESSAGES->author
Phil65
21 September, 2019 12:06
Goal line technology is black and white; different ball game all together. The concept of the ball being over the line is a goal has been in existence from the dark ages; offside has been tampered with more than a cricket ball in the hands of an Australian.

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost
21 September, 2019 12:09
I think it would be a really bad idea to get rid of offsides altogether, however it is clear that the law needs clarification and possibly reworking completely now. You also need to remember that any changes need to be workable at all levels of the game, from u9s up.

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13
21 September, 2019 13:32
Yeah the game would be ugly without offside laws.

But it's ugly when offside rules are too strict.

We've gone back 30 years with VAR.

hong kong rover
hong kong rover
21 September, 2019 13:48
Before VAR was introduced you never saw a player being flagged for offside coz of a foot or arm or hand,,ridiculous now with these really fine margins..should be the full body torso.

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13
21 September, 2019 14:15
it's so stupid. and it takes an age to make these decisions and people arent able to celebrate goals.

football is 90% monotony with 1 or 2 moments of spotaneous joy when a goal goes in.

it's getting to a point where that joy cannot be celebrated in the moment.

i'd much rather have a less perfect but more live and engaged game.

kennyspint
kennyspint
22 September, 2019 23:09
My wife made a very good point that from video you can't tell when the ball was played to a second or so. The millimetre or so decision doesn't tell you if the ball was delivered a millisecond before or after.

Kentexile
Kentexile
23 September, 2019 09:01
Wasn't there a rule change some years ago that you were only offside if there was daylight between you and the last defender (or 2nd-last if the goalie's up the pitch).
Somewhere along the way they must have reversed that rule change, whenever it was I missed it, but it's a real shame. I can't be doing with goal reversals because someone's little finger was sticking out past the defender. Gives an unfair advantage to short-nosed strikers.

hong kong rover
hong kong rover
23 September, 2019 09:09
Quote:
Kentexile
Wasn't there a rule change some years ago that you were only offside if there was daylight between you and the last defender (or 2nd-last if the goalie's up the pitch).
Somewhere along the way they must have reversed that rule change, whenever it was I missed it, but it's a real shame. I can't be doing with goal reversals because someone's little finger was sticking out past the defender. Gives an unfair advantage to short-nosed strikers.

Lol,...technology is changing all the time, it will get to the point that one day VAR will be so precise that a player will be offside by a fingernail..

Tom Bombadil
Tom Bombadil
23 September, 2019 09:10
The referee and his linesman decision should stand on offside. Only if there is doubt from these three should VAR advise. In the end the referees decision should stand as it always has done.

In Rugby union they have this nailed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.