Latest news:

5th test .... and smith
Discussion started by the kav (IP Logged), 10 September, 2019 10:24
the kav
the kav
10 September, 2019 10:24
Last time we had this problem with an aussie batsmen we solved it with lateral thinking.

FIELD: leg slip, silly fine leg, short square leg, short midwicket, silly mid on , short leg , cover, , silly point, fine leg.

BOWLERS: maybe a Nottinghamshire miner and a couple of quick yorkshireman.

CAPTAIN: an empire obsessed surrey man.

TACTICS: bumpers speared into the batsman's ribs so he has to fend to leg trap.

OUTCOME: last time Aussies whinged about this we threatened to call in our loans and bankrupt australia.... not sure we are in a position to fo this anymore!

I know it would be called no ball however i would love to see Smith's face if root called this field up as he was walking to the wicket with jofra at the other end

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover
10 September, 2019 11:57
Get someone to spike his food at Lunch or tea or in his case both ,nothing drastic just to keep him in the bogs for a few days ,but knowing him he would still be practising in the bogs ,swishing his bat under the door ,come back out and hit another 100 ,he did make me laugh with his Jack Leach impression donning some specs and taking them off to clean .who said Aussies don’t do humour

the kav
the kav
10 September, 2019 12:12
Actually watched a till death us do part last night where Alfie was spiked with sleepers by some kids and used as a guy fawkes.... I was roaring with laughter! Perhaps your onto something there 50 .

Stewsydney
Stewsydney
10 September, 2019 12:26
Batsmen’s track at the oval , Smith to get 300 I reckon if he has sobered up & if he wears glasses again maybe only get 250 🤪🇦🇺

the kav
the kav
10 September, 2019 13:03
Aussies always lose the test after they have won the ashes . England to win and paper over the cracks stew

Stewsydney
Stewsydney
10 September, 2019 22:56
I agree Kav . Ashes retained no real need to go full tilt think be a few Aussie bowling changed with quick turnaround so don’t expect an Aussie win

the kav
the kav
11 September, 2019 15:31
Marsh in for travis head

spralos baldini
spralos baldini
11 September, 2019 16:55
I mentioned in the previous post that slow ball Yorkers is the way forward. Try at least one an over and the others balls should be a complete mixture - no set routines.

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover
11 September, 2019 17:46
Roy, Overton dropped Stokes hurt ,Woakes , Curran Return

Summerlander
Summerlander
11 September, 2019 18:13
Curran should have been in since day 1 - IMO.
Excellent all-rounder who's destined to be an England regular.

hong kong rover
hong kong rover
11 September, 2019 19:02
Quote:
Summerlander
Curran should have been in since day 1 - IMO.
Excellent all-rounder who's destined to be an England regular.

Yes, I like Curran..I still don't understand why they dropped Woakes for that 4th test.. It didn't really work out by bringing Overton into the side..My view of Woakes is that he is a very good steady bowler for England..

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost
11 September, 2019 19:57
So typically England. We have a major problem with the batting so let's drop an underperforming top order batsman and replace him with... an all rounder. I like Curran, but he's not a full time batsman at this point, he's another no 7. Sure Stokes won't bowl but that's not the point really. If you want to drop Roy then replace him with a top order bat. You don't juggle the order round, play yet another all rounder out of position and hope for the best. At this point the whole bloody team will be full of bits and pieces players.

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover
11 September, 2019 22:32
Woakes can also bat well .to me he is a must ,Root should beware the old saying ,people in glass houses should not throw stones .Root, Bairstow ,Butler ,all well below par ,but in their defence played far to much cricket .Off to New Zealand next I believe ,send a team of good young players like both the Curran’s and others on the England radar

the kav
the kav
12 September, 2019 11:18
Theres been some awful decisions in this series so far but given lbw when the ball hit the thigh pad really takes the biscuit

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost
12 September, 2019 12:24
Poor decision, but a good start for England.

@Fifty, you're not wrong, however having 3 bowling all rounders at 7, 8 & 9 is great (even better if you consider Stokes at 5 or 6 as well) if you get off to good/solid starts but not so good when your top order is so fragile. Those batters tend to be aggressive shot makers by nature, great for maximising an advantage and will occasionally pull you out of a hole with magnificence (see Stokes, Botham, etc), but won't, by and large, get you to a good total when the ball moves round and you are struggling. If you want to play all those guys your top 5 has to be solid.

the kav
the kav
12 September, 2019 12:57
Looking at the county scores ( lancs could be promoted today) Gloucestershire bowled 46 no balls in 101 overs! No wonder we pick the same bowlers at test level

Stewsydney
Stewsydney
12 September, 2019 23:01
England batted well now there is no pressure, Aussies fielding with beer goggles on still 🤪

the kav
the kav
13 September, 2019 07:07
It was hilarious when mitch had his cramp and was still trying to bowl stu

Stewsydney
Stewsydney
13 September, 2019 08:43
Kav it shows going on a bender in the same week you play professionally isn’t a good idea , hope for us all yet 🤪

hong kong rover
hong kong rover
13 September, 2019 11:38
Yet again, more poor batting from England..Perfect batting conditions and should have been looking at a first innings total of 400+..They don't even get to 300.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/09/2019 13:40 by hong kong rover.

hong kong rover
hong kong rover
13 September, 2019 11:50
Australia proving again that rotating their bowling attack has been a deciding factor in this series.

hong kong rover
hong kong rover
13 September, 2019 13:18
Warner out cheaply yet again. To say that he is having a woeful Ashes would be one helluva massive understatement..If he had been at his devastating best throughout this series, then England would have been embarrassed even further.

warren r
Wozza
13 September, 2019 16:51
Smith will haunt England’s bowlers for years to come scoring at least 50 in every innings is bloody amazing got to take your hat to smith

hong kong rover
hong kong rover
13 September, 2019 17:29
shock gasp shock! we have got Smith out and he didn't get a ton!...Curran has bowled well today.

the kav
the kav
13 September, 2019 17:59
Not sure I get this leach phenomenon..... not a great bowler and a tank fielder.... hes becoming a cult hero coz he can block

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost
13 September, 2019 18:13
Quote:
the kav
Not sure I get this leach phenomenon..... not a great bowler and a tank fielder.... hes becoming a cult hero coz he can block
I tend to agree but I think you need to wait until you see how he goes in the second innings to judge. First time he'll have really had a chance to bowl in conditions that suit him. The Oval is a bad seeing ground with all the brick around. He took a good catch earlier.

the kav
the kav
13 September, 2019 18:22
Fair play mate. Let's wait and see

hong kong rover
hong kong rover
14 September, 2019 11:20
I've been fairly impressed with Rory Burns so far throughout this series.. Its very early in his test career and he still has a long way to go until he can be called a proven test opener but he does seem to be improving each time..Hopefully we can find another decent opener to partner him..Its been a massive problem for England for far too long now trying to find decent opening batsmen.

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover
14 September, 2019 11:35
Perhaps fetch Alex Hales back ? Been punished, give him another chance ,not sure about Leach the pitch has to suit him ,dropped a catch last night .Aussies 8 down so England decide to bowl badly .woakes got Smith first ball then it was all down hill ,the Aussie tail put on 43 ,no killer instinct ,sloppy

hong kong rover
hong kong rover
14 September, 2019 18:17
Steve Smith can do absolutely no wrong in this series, he has just taken a stunning catch at 2nd slip, full stretch one handed to his right to get Woakes wicket.

hong kong rover
hong kong rover
14 September, 2019 20:19
England in a healthy position at the end of the 3rd day..

Stewsydney
Stewsydney
15 September, 2019 04:24
Smith is down with the flu & still scores 80 after taking cold & flu tablets , England look likely to win this but no point turning up when the ashes were lost 👍

the kav
the kav
15 September, 2019 07:57
Despite what the telly guys are saying to create interest and viewers that pitch is getting better.... convicts to push this really close

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost
15 September, 2019 10:32
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
Perhaps fetch Alex Hales back ? Been punished, give him another chance ,not sure about Leach the pitch has to suit him ,dropped a catch last night .Aussies 8 down so England decide to bowl badly .woakes got Smith first ball then it was all down hill ,the Aussie tail put on 43 ,no killer instinct ,sloppy

Hales doesn't play any red ball cricket any more I think. He only signed a white ball contract with Notts this year. He's another non-Test batter for me. Pitch is getting low and starting to turn big. Would have liked England to bat until early afternoon ideally and set them 450, but I can't see it now.

hong kong rover
hong kong rover
15 September, 2019 14:13
Shock gasp shock! Smith out for only 23, great catch from Stokes off the bowling of Broad to get him..774 runs in the series is just phenomenal and he missed the entire 3rd test too.. The England fans booed him at the start of the series, now he is being rightly applauded..He has well n truly dominated this series and they talk about Botham's Ashes in 1981, this is defo Smith's Ashes 2019..

the kav
the kav
15 September, 2019 18:11
Ball following root .... england win big

the kav
the kav
15 September, 2019 18:19
Botham is hammered xx

hong kong rover
hong kong rover
15 September, 2019 19:04
So a great Summer of cricket has come to an end, I have enjoyed it.

hong kong rover
hong kong rover
16 September, 2019 06:59
Quote:
the kav
Botham is hammered xx

It was Bothams n Gowers last day doing the commentary and analysis on the cricket for Sky Sports..Cost cutting from Sky I believe, they were both being paid handsomely..Ive always said that there are far too many of them in the commentary box, jobs for the boys...Gower was ok but a bit too smooth, I did like Botham though, he never went on and on like some of them do, never shutting up and over analysing everything and making the game far too scientific n technical.

hong kong rover
hong kong rover
16 September, 2019 07:10
No surprises whatsoever that Steve Smith was named Australias player of the series..Not sure I agree with Ben Stokes being named Englands man of the series, I would have given it to Stuart Broad..Stokes probably got it coz of his heroics at
Headingley..

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost
16 September, 2019 10:16
My England Ashes ratings -

Burns - 7. Enhanced his reputation. Nailed the opener role for a while at least.
Roy -3. Not a Test player. Definitely not an opener.
Root - 6. His stats are OK but failed to deliver the crucial big innings every time.
Denly - 6. Did enough to justify his selection but not enough to suggest he has a long term future.
Bairstow - 4. Kept well enough but failed to deliver with the bat. Very much on the hot seat.
Stokes - 8. Always inconsistent but delivers moments of genius at critical points in every discipline.
Buttler - 6. Did what he was there for and delivered one important knock, but no consistency.
Woakes - 5. Not his best series with ball or bat. Seems to have forgotten how to swing the ball.
Archer - 7. Two excellent games and was OK in between. A very good start to his career and he could be a great.
Broad - 8. Maybe his swansong home Ashes but so effective against the left handers.
Leach - 6. Not entirely convinced he's the guy for the future but his blocking earned him an extra mark and he bowled well enough yesterday.

Not sure any of the others played enough to be rated. Curran has a future but I'm not quite sure where he fits in, I'm not sure any of the others do though Jimmy should get a chance to prove he isn't finished. This was an eminently beatable Aussie team. They have good bowlers and Smith. If we had picked a solid top 5 - more Denly and less Roy - I believe the Ashes would have been won, therefore I give the selectors and coaches a 4 as well. Its higher than I'd have normally given but they took a chance on Archer that paid off.

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover
16 September, 2019 10:52
Should have bowled Denly when we needed wickets ,can certainly bowl .Archer needs talking to about his attitude ,having a bit of verbal is ok but walking up to Wade and staring him out and the nonsense that went with it ,what’s all that about ? Wade is like Smith the more stick you give them the more they dig in ,quite pathetic really ,he is starting to believe his own hype ,now buying a new solid gold chain with real rubies for every test wicket he has taken ,someone needs to have a quiet word before he gets to big for his boots

the kav
the kav
16 September, 2019 10:58
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
Should have bowled Denly when we needed wickets ,can certainly bowl .Archer needs talking to about his attitude ,having a bit of verbal is ok but walking up to Wade and staring him out and the nonsense that went with it ,what’s all that about ? Wade is like Smith the more stick you give them the more they dig in ,quite pathetic really ,he is starting to believe his own hype ,now buying a new solid gold chain with real rubies for every test wicket he has taken ,someone needs to have a quiet word before he gets to big for his boots

Jesus if warnie or murili did that they wouldnt be able to lift the chain

hong kong rover
hong kong rover
16 September, 2019 12:40
Quote:
Doogie'sGhost
My England Ashes ratings -
Burns - 7. Enhanced his reputation. Nailed the opener role for a while at least.
Roy -3. Not a Test player. Definitely not an opener.
Root - 6. His stats are OK but failed to deliver the crucial big innings every time.
Denly - 6. Did enough to justify his selection but not enough to suggest he has a long term future.
Bairstow - 4. Kept well enough but failed to deliver with the bat. Very much on the hot seat.
Stokes - 8. Always inconsistent but delivers moments of genius at critical points in every discipline.
Buttler - 6. Did what he was there for and delivered one important knock, but no consistency.
Woakes - 5. Not his best series with ball or bat. Seems to have forgotten how to swing the ball.
Archer - 7. Two excellent games and was OK in between. A very good start to his career and he could be a great.
Broad - 8. Maybe his swansong home Ashes but so effective against the left handers.
Leach - 6. Not entirely convinced he's the guy for the future but his blocking earned him an extra mark and he bowled well enough yesterday.

Not sure any of the others played enough to be rated. Curran has a future but I'm not quite sure where he fits in, I'm not sure any of the others do though Jimmy should get a chance to prove he isn't finished. This was an eminently beatable Aussie team. They have good bowlers and Smith. If we had picked a solid top 5 - more Denly and less Roy - I believe the Ashes would have been won, therefore I give the selectors and coaches a 4 as well. Its higher than I'd have normally given but they took a chance on Archer that paid off.

+1 thats a pretty fair assessment doogie
.I might notch Woakes up 1 more point though.

hong kong rover
hong kong rover
16 September, 2019 12:42
Quote:
the kav
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover

Jesus if warnie or murili did that they wouldnt be able to lift the chain

Lol

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover
16 September, 2019 17:08
Your right chaps good job Archer is young and fit to lift that chain ,I bet some footpad will break into his house and steal it ,if you want something like that to show off ,first rule of thumb don’t announce it on tv to millions watching ,pretentious idiot ,it was Bumble who let it slip .more good news for cricket fans ,more women presenters joining the Sky team ,is nothing sacred ,there is a new cricket comp next year called 100 ball cricket ,the ex England woman cricketer who done the World Cup has turned down the offer to take over from Gower and will front the new show on BBC ,so cricket on BBC

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost
16 September, 2019 17:45
That's a shame. Isa Guha is pretty good. Of all the female presenters and commentators out there she is the best blend of knowledgeable and personable. She would have a good person to front Sky's team. Makes sense for her though. Sky are notoriously hard on their presenters and this way she does the 100 for BBC, probably some TMS and still gets to go to the ICC events and T20s all over the world. Of all the dream jobs in the world, playing cricket for England and then following the game all over the world covering it comes pretty damn close.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.