Latest news:

U18's - Andy Parkinson
Discussion started by ADD (IP Logged), 10 September, 2019 09:19
ADD
ADD
10 September, 2019 09:19
The 4 new first year professionals have not been seen on the bench yet - and are clearly nowhere near MM's thoughts re the first team. Perhaps that should not be unexpected given how badly the U18's have started this season.
Played 4 League games and lost all 4. Goals scored 4. Goals conceded 13. Sendings off 2. Not impressive at all to say the least.

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover
10 September, 2019 09:37
It’s been a bone of contention to me for a long time ,hardly if any youngsters coming through ,you all know who came through our system at one time and went on to better things ,just nothing happening on that front at all for quite a while now ,any explanations ?,you see pictures of some signing contracts ,then they are never mentioned again ,do we have our own Bermuda Triangle in Moreton ?. it is near the sea ,

rossb07
rossb07
10 September, 2019 09:55
It wasn’t all that long ago but times have definitely changed in regards to youth setups.

We may never get a koumas coming through again as he’d have been picked up by a bigger club by the time he’s grown his first few hairs on his chest. Some will slip through the net and stay on but the management team surely will know if a player is cut out for the current level of the first team.

the kav
the kav
10 September, 2019 10:06
Who was the last youth team player to have a decent run in the side? Clarke and gumbs have made fleeting appearances but it seems no one has made the breakthrough for donkeys years

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost
10 September, 2019 10:46
I don't think you ever will have again, that's why we closed the academy. The PL academies are so well funded that they can hoover up all the talent now and even if you find the rare diamond they can take them off you for the cost of a lump of coal. Our best hope is to try and find the odd unpolished semi-precious stone they discard as being not worth the effort and try to polish them up a bit, which is what the u18s is for. However I think you're going to have to sift through and awful lot of coal dust to find that one that is good enough. The vast majority are relatively worthless.

FloodlitFridays
FloodlitFridays
10 September, 2019 14:46
I remember going to watch them at Vauxhall Motors last summer and feeling fairly underwhelmed. Did anyone else here attend that one? It's a shame, but as others have pointed out above, the way the top academy systems are run these days makes it a lot trickier for us.

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13
10 September, 2019 21:24
yeah we are much better off looking at players that have been rejected due to a poor attitude, size, weight issues, and helping them overcome them. the 3g pitches will help hugely in that regard imo. i believe we be able to offer a second chance to players that have been churned up by a bloated system that fails to value young players as individuals, but rather over-fishes the local talent pools and cares not for the cast offs.

kids that can barely tie their laces are being hoovered up by huge premiership academies that run mulitple teams at every age group.

our job is to look for inefficiencies in the youth market and exploit it.

Prenton Pirate
Prenton Pirate
11 September, 2019 03:38
Max Power would be the last academy/youth product to make a lasting impression. Walker-Rice was on the bench at Rotherham and would seem the most likely to emerge of the current crop.
The list from previous years was quite impressive: Thomas, Brannan, Irons, Kenworthy, Malkin, Moore, Hill, Thornton, Hinds, Koumas, Simonson to name but a few. All went on to bigger things and good careers. But the production line does seem to have ground to a halt as of late.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34
11 September, 2019 19:52
Garnett was youth as well. I think he said once he was in the youth team when Palios played his second first team spell.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.