Latest news:

Danny Cowley 2
Discussion started by Bored rover (IP Logged), 09 September, 2019 11:07
Bored rover
Bored rover
09 September, 2019 11:07
Huddersfield have announced him as their new man, MM will be favourite with bookies to be his successor at Lincoln have heard.

jal jal
jal jal
09 September, 2019 11:41
It hasn't been announced yet on Citys official sight, but looks like it will be later in the day.
But it was going to happen one day, but would have thought it might have been a London club
If anyone can turn Huddersfields season around they can.
I could be wrong but I don't think we will be after MM

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost
09 September, 2019 11:49
Got to say I'm surprised at this. Sheff Weds seems a far better opportunity than Hudders to me. Sure they've just come down from the Prem but getting there was punching massively above their weight.

MM seems to be favourite for every vacancy at this level it seems. Not entirely sure why and can't really see it happening.

hong kong rover
hong kong rover
09 September, 2019 12:59
According to reports, Cowley turned down Huddersfield last week..seems a bit odd this..

MESSAGES->author
BELMONT
09 September, 2019 13:24
Quote:
hong kong rover
According to reports, Cowley turned down Huddersfield last week..seems a bit odd this..

Reported to be £1+million pounds a year salary on offer was on around £130K at Lincoln according to some reports.

hong kong rover
hong kong rover
09 September, 2019 13:29
Quote:
BELMONT
Quote:
hong kong rover

Reported to be £1+million pounds a year salary on offer was on around £130K at Lincoln according to some reports.

Seems as if it could be a renewed offer that he could not resist.

the kav
the kav
09 September, 2019 13:54
Nice choice that. 2 big clubs with great tradition decent grounds and great supporters.

Personally I would have gone to wednesday imagine the gates you would get there if you got them into the top flight!

45000 opinionated Yorkshire men shouting you on! Plus the player budget would be massive in the championship

jal jal
jal jal
09 September, 2019 14:02
Quote:
hong kong rover
Quote:
BELMONT
Quote:
hong kong rover

Seems as if it could be a renewed offer that he could not resist.

In one report I saw it was £1.5 million & the release fee for the Cowleys was reported to be £1 million, they are said to be on a 3 year contract at Huddersfield.
Problem is if Hudderfield get relegated will they still be in a Job.
But at present until they sign their contracts nothing has changed
But it's likely to be announced officialy later in the day that they have.

jal jal
jal jal
09 September, 2019 14:10
It was said that the Chairman at Wednesday like to select the players Wednesday were going to sign not the manager, they only pick the team, if that's true that's why they didn't go there. (but I can't say as that's the truth only what's been said).

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover
09 September, 2019 14:31
It was only a matter of time before they moved on I suppose ,been very successful ,good luck to them ,Mellon to Lincoln? ,should not think so .,there is better about that would match their ambition .MM has done well but I am still not a big fan .more good luck than good management .thats just my opinion .he walks on water as far as a lot of rovers fans are concerned ,but that’s their opinion ,each to their own

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
09 September, 2019 14:37
After back to back promotions Mellon will inevitably attract attention from other clubs, or at least be linked with them by the bookies. But given our recently-stated ambitions and the fact he's got two years on his contract I can't see he'd ever quit to join a rival in the same division, even one as well-run and ambitious as Lincoln.

FloodlitFridays
FloodlitFridays
09 September, 2019 15:48
Re Fiftyyearsarover's post:

I've previously been a long-time dormant observer on this page, but this utterly unfair post about the gaffer has finally drawn me in!

For starters, I'd love to know how you can say his successful reign (up to now) has mostly been characterised by good luck rather than good management. Anyone who's been watching us consistently for the last 3 years will surely recognise that his in-match decisions and tactical choices have been key in getting us where we are today. Lincoln at home last season, when we were getting torn apart in the first half? Newport in the playoff final, where he pulled a masterstroke by bringing McNulty on? And I surely shouldn't have to elaborate upon Boreham Wood! He was also extremely shrewd last season and won us promotion on what was a fairly meagre budget; his additions were a key piece of the overall jigsaw.

Sorry, but going by the general tone of your posts, it seems like you've had your fingers crossed for him to fail since day one, and it baffles me as to why.

Beamish Screamer
Beamish Screamer
09 September, 2019 16:07
Interestingly Huddersfield's next game is at home to Sheffield Wednesday on Sunday

Zint
Zint
09 September, 2019 16:51
Been announced now.

Providing Lincoln don’t nab Micky this could be good for us. Possibly explains Wycombe’s surprising victory over them on Saturday?

Prenton Pirate
Prenton Pirate
09 September, 2019 18:30
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
It was only a matter of time before they moved on I suppose ,been very successful ,good luck to them ,Mellon to Lincoln? ,should not think so .,there is better about that would match their ambition .MM has done well but I am still not a big fan .more good luck than good management .thats just my opinion .he walks on water as far as a lot of rovers fans are concerned ,but that’s their opinion ,each to their own

Two promotions in two years is not luck.
On the Cowleys getting the Huddersfield job. It shows that there is a pathway for young british coaches from the Conference to the top leagues. And he's gone to a club with ambition to get back in the Premier League.
Sol Campbell for Lincoln??
Hard lines JalJal but it was going to happen.

hong kong rover
hong kong rover
09 September, 2019 18:45
Quote:
Zint
Been announced now.
Providing Lincoln don’t nab Micky this could be good for us. Possibly explains Wycombe’s surprising victory over them on Saturday?

Why do you think Wycombes victory was surprising? They have had an excellent start to the season and therefore must be playing well..Also the game was at Wycombe..so whats so surprising about that?

the kav
the kav
09 September, 2019 19:29
Welcome aboard floodlitfridays

hong kong rover
hong kong rover
09 September, 2019 19:32
I think that the Wycombe boss Gareth Ainsworth wouldn't be a bad target for Lincoln in their search for a new manager, and I am not just saying that coz they sit atop of the table at the moment..he is fairly young, he has been loyal to Wycombe, he tries to get his sides to play attacking football and he hasn't done too badly there..

hong kong rover
hong kong rover
09 September, 2019 19:45
On the subject of Wycombes 3-1 victory over Lincoln last Saturday, all 3 of their goals came from their full back, one of them from a direct free kick and the other two went directly in from corners he had taken, its worth viewing on you tube.

FloodlitFridays
FloodlitFridays
09 September, 2019 20:03
Cheers, the kav 😃 fingers crossed for another enjoyable season.

Loyden1
Loyden1
09 September, 2019 20:21
Quote:
FloodlitFridays
Cheers, the kav 😃 fingers crossed for another enjoyable season.
yes welcome ff.that 50 can make you want to post.i think a young Mellon in the 80s in Scotland siphoned his diesel and put his wagon on bricks on an overnight trip to Glasgow docks

jal jal
jal jal
09 September, 2019 20:36
Hi HKR
Ainsworth would be a good signing for us as he's classed as a legend at Lincoln for the 2 yrs and goals he scored for us and he always speaks fondly of Lincoln and he also gets a reception from the fans as good as any of our olayers do.
The amount I put further up the page about what the Cowleys will earn £1.5 million, some one has since said the increased offer from Huddersfield was £2 million a year they will be earning on a 3yr contract.

jal jal
jal jal
09 September, 2019 20:41
Just to add City fans hate Steve Evans just as much as the Rovers fans do, that definitely wouldn't go down well.

hong kong rover
hong kong rover
09 September, 2019 20:46
Quote:
jal jal
Hi HKR
Ainsworth would be a good signing for us as he's classed as a legend at Lincoln for the 2 yrs and goals he scored for us and he always speaks fondly of Lincoln and he also gets a reception from the fans as good as any of our olayers do.
The amount I put further up the page about what the Cowleys will earn £1.5 million, some one has since said the increased offer from Huddersfield was £2 million a year they will be earning on a 3yr contract.

hi jal jal, ive just been taking a look on a Lincoln City fans forum and was looking at the thread on who should be the next manager, a lot of names being put forward, Ainsworth, Flynn, Adkins, Mellon, Flowers being some of them..best comment on there was a reply to someone that had suggested Steve McClaren, ' I wouldn't hire McClaren to sell umbrellas on a really wet day,' lol. brilliant...anyway, good luck in search of a new manager and I think the Lincoln board will come up with the right choice..

MESSAGES->author
Matt34
09 September, 2019 20:55
I doubt Micky Mellon would go to Lincoln even if they wanted him. I don't think they are being bankrolled and even if they could spend more, why leave just to possibly get another £5,000-£10,000 a year and possibly another £500 a week to sign a striker?

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

jal jal
jal jal
09 September, 2019 21:06
Whoever we get will have their work cut out to follow them two, the only good thing is now we have a decent Board who are more business like than the one we had when we signed Tilson, Sutton & Holdsworth it was more like man the lifeboats we're sinking.

MoanerLesser
RealityBitesHasLeftForum
09 September, 2019 21:51
Quote:
FloodlitFridays
I've previously been a long-time dormant observer on this page, but this utterly unfair post about the gaffer has finally drawn me in!

For starters, I'd love to know how you can say his successful reign (up to now) has mostly been characterised by good luck rather than good management. Anyone who's been watching us consistently for the last 3 years will surely recognise that his in-match decisions and tactical choices have been key in getting us where we are today. Lincoln at home last season, when we were getting torn apart in the
first half? Newport in the playoff final, where he pulled a masterstroke by bringing McNulty on? And I surely shouldn't have to elaborate upon Boreham Wood! He was also extremely shrewd last season and won us promotion on what was a fairly meagre budget; his additions were a key piece of the overall jigsaw.

Sorry, but going by the general tone of your posts, it seems like you've had your fingers crossed for him to fail since day one, and it baffles me as to why.

Have popped back in temporarily. [en.m.wikipedia.org]

Up to end of last season, MM flukely (flippancy there) managed to be the best Tranmere boss ever from a win percentage perspective. It matters not a jot what division. The players reflect the budget avaiilable for the division. Managing is more than picking the team. It is about , training, motivation and getting the best out of players. And if you can do that with what is not a huge budget .....
If MP rates MM, that is good enough for me.

Having had to manage groups in the workplace , I can tell Fifty that it is challenging to get people with egos bigger than talent, and people who need to learn on the job, and people who have talent but who are lazy, and 'workhorses' all to function together. It takes time. To that end, MM has done well, whilst accepting that some of the players brought in were beyond improving.

So what we need to do is see how players and the team improve over the season. And the two draws recently were not down to luck. It was about a motivated team that kept trying.

Over and out! 🙃

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover
09 September, 2019 22:08
I New I would get some stick but I honestly don’t think he is good enough for say the championship it’s just my opinion, as far as the luck factor is concerned it’s a fact for me that we were due some luck and it was just our turn to get it ,any of the play off games could have gone either way .like the Ebbsfleet game or Newport game or FGR ,so luck does play a part ,sometimes a club is up other times down ,it was our turn for an uptime ,of course I don’t want him to fail, it’s an honest opinion ..I don’t think he will get or seek the Lincoln job and expect he will see his contract out .some on here rubbish some of the players ,I don’t .I simply say that I am not overly impressed with the manager

FloodlitFridays
FloodlitFridays
09 September, 2019 22:12
Can't the addition of a new, shiny, positive face to the forum persuade you to stick around RealityBites? grinning smiley

You've summed it up pretty nicely. Not much else to add, really! Apart from "don't go!" of course!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2019 22:13 by FloodlitFridays.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
09 September, 2019 23:00
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
I New I would get some stick but I honestly don’t think he is good enough for say the championship it’s just my opinion,

Good to see he's gone up in your estimation - last season you were saying he's poor in L2! winking smiley

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover
10 September, 2019 08:32
Well this season it’s his turn to be poor in League 1.one day I will be right 😁yes stick around reality bites ,need someone who can put points over in a more eloquent manner than some and to Loyden ,I don’t hate the Scotch for pinching my Diesel or wheels quite the opposite ,I broke down in Stenhousemuir and myself and another driver in the same situation sought solace in a pub and met 2 young maidens ,stayed with her for 2days while my truck was fixed .i was quite annoyed with the Garage for fixing it .at one time as you left Scotland and entered England there was a sign “Haste ye back “that day was a poignant moment

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon
10 September, 2019 17:17
Quote:
FloodlitFridays

For starters, I'd love to know how you can say his successful reign (up to now) has mostly been characterised by good luck rather than good management. Anyone who's been watching us consistently for the last 3 years will surely recognise that his in-match decisions and tactical choices have been key in getting us where we are today. Lincoln at home last season, when we were getting torn apart in the first half? Newport in the playoff final, where he pulled a masterstroke by bringing McNulty on? And I surely shouldn't have to elaborate upon Boreham Wood! He was also extremely shrewd last season and won us promotion on what was a fairly meagre budget; his additions were a key piece of the overall jigsaw.

+1

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover
10 September, 2019 20:12
Each to their own hoots ,I don’t comment just to agree ,I just voice an opinion if it’s not what others think well that’s what the forum is for ,I am not abusive I just give my own opinion .if I am proved wrong I will be happy to admit it ,.its early days yet

Zint
Zint
11 September, 2019 09:26
I reckon one name that hasn’t been looked at is Joey Barton. Whilst it’s a sideways move it would be a bigger club.

jal jal
jal jal
11 September, 2019 12:16
Hi Zint
If you mean Joey Barton coming to Lincoln, that wouldn't go down well with the fans, he's very much on a par with Steve Evans with the Lincoln Fans, they hate both of them, I wonder why. [:wor kid:]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2019 19:48 by jal jal.

hong kong rover
hong kong rover
11 September, 2019 13:14
I don't think Barton will be going anywhere at the moment..pretty sure his court case is up next month..the only place he could be heading to is inside doing a nice little stretch.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34
11 September, 2019 20:37
Quote:
Zint
I reckon one name that hasn’t been looked at is Joey Barton. Whilst it’s a sideways move it would be a bigger club.

I'm not so sure to be honest. Andy Pilley has beefed up the spending a bit over the years and brought about greater financial capability and improved facilities. I'm not sure Lincoln could outspend them to be honest.

jal jal
jal jal
11 September, 2019 23:06
Quote:
Matt34
Quote:
Zint

I'm not so sure to be honest. Andy Pilley has beefed up the spending a bit over the years and brought about greater financial capability and improved facilities. I'm not sure Lincoln could outspend them to be honest.

Hi Matt
You're correct I don't think we could out spend them.

Zint
Zint
12 September, 2019 02:57
So Jal Jal, genuine question, how concerned are you going forward? Success at a club is often due to a range of factors. A good Board, sound finances and a clear view about the direction a club should follow. At the same time though you need a good manager. Whilst the Lincoln job represents a good opportunity for the right manager it also represents a huge risk. I doubt any new manager will have much time to prove themselves, a couple of defeats, particularly against some local rivals like Posh, and the knives will be out. Are you confident that the club can get the management appointment right and that any newcomer will be given time.

Incidentally, I used to do some work with Gillian Merron, the former Labour MP for the city. Not only was she one of the least pompous of MPs I cam across, she also was a keen Lincoln supporter. Quite often in meetings we’d start by talking about Lincoln & Tranmere rather than business.

hong kong rover
hong kong rover
12 September, 2019 05:19
Quote:
Zint
So Jal Jal, genuine question, how concerned are you going forward? Success at a club is often due to a range of factors. A good Board, sound finances and a clear view about the direction a club should follow. At the same time though you need a good manager. Whilst the Lincoln job represents a good opportunity for the right manager it also represents a huge risk. I doubt any new manager will have much time to prove themselves, a couple of defeats, particularly against some local rivals like Posh, and the knives will be out. Are you confident that the club can get the management appointment right and that any newcomer will be given time.
Incidentally, I used to do some work with Gillian Merron, the former Labour MP for the city. Not only was she one of the least pompous of MPs I cam across, she also was a keen Lincoln supporter. Quite often in meetings we’d start by talking about Lincoln & Tranmere rather than business.

An MP that isn't pompous???...I always thought Pomposity and Politicians went hand in hand.

hong kong rover
hong kong rover
12 September, 2019 06:15
Politicians n MPs - lynch the lot of them..if I had my way, I'd have children running the world..throw all that Brexit nonsense right out of the window, it'd be jelly n ice cream, lemonade and watching Tom n Jerry cartoons all day long..that'd suit me.

Zint
Zint
12 September, 2019 08:01
Given the lack of respect for democracy we’re you are, you’re clear.y in the right place.

hong kong rover
hong kong rover
12 September, 2019 08:21
Quote:
Zint
Given the lack of respect for democracy we’re you are, you’re clear.y in the right place.

Wow! You've sure got your knickers in a twist!

Zint
Zint
12 September, 2019 08:39
And you sure showed yourself to be an idiot 😁

hong kong rover
hong kong rover
12 September, 2019 08:58
Quote:
Zint
And you sure showed yourself to be an idiot 😁

Blimey! You sure seem to be getting all worked up and rather annoyed at my attempt at a little bit of light humour..

Zint
Zint
12 September, 2019 09:05
Not in the slightest.

hong kong rover
hong kong rover
12 September, 2019 09:20
Quote:
Zint
Not in the slightest.

All's good then..No hard feelings..Lets hope Rovers can pick up some points on Saturday down at Oxford, optimistic that we can get something from the game?..I was impressed with our 2nd half display vs Gills, if we can carry that down to Oxford then hopefully we can pick up some points.

Zint
Zint
12 September, 2019 09:43
👍

jal jal
jal jal
12 September, 2019 15:58
Quote:
Zint

Hi Zint I'm not paticularly Concerned at all to tell the truth we have a good backroom staff who know how the Cowleys run the club & that will continue until we get a manager sorted out.
We have one of the best business like boards we've ever had as it was them that signed the Cowleys.
City's finances are sound Danny Cowley was good when it came to spending money he classed it like it was his own & wouldnt overspend on anyone player no matter how good they were if it meant putting the club in financial difficulties.
Our Board have a clear direction where we want to go & at present that is the Championship whether it's this season or a couple of seasons along the line.
Obviously I don't know who will get the managers job but it looks like a Lincoln legend Ainsworth the Wycombe manager or the Newport manager Michael Flynn.
They will get some money to spend in January £100,000 from the Televised game the other week will help them, and yes the board will give them time to settle in.
When the board choose the manager they will be very thorough with what they will want from the new boss.
Hope that answers your questions OK
I think I've been as honest as I can be.
Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2019 16:35 by jal jal.

Zint
Zint
12 September, 2019 18:43
It does. Disappointing from a Tranmere perspective 😁

jal jal
jal jal
12 September, 2019 19:16
Quote:
Zint
It does. Disappointing from a Tranmere perspective 😁

Why is that Zint or have I missed the humour somewhere. grinning smiley

Zint
Zint
12 September, 2019 22:20
I suppose if Lincoln were to disintegrate it would make our task easier. From what you say that’s not going to happen. Que Sera!

jal jal
jal jal
12 September, 2019 22:48
Rovers will be OK nothing is won in the first 3 months, this season is a learning curve for both our teams, but with a little bit of luck we could both make the play off come May.
Neither of our teams have enough money to compete with quite a few teams in thi division, more money bigger gates etc.

hong kong rover
hong kong rover
13 September, 2019 11:58
On a little bit of a trivial note, each time Danny Cowley takes on a new managerial job he moves further north each time, Concord Rangers to Braintree to Lincoln and now up to Huddersfield..Where will his next appointment be? If the compass keeps pointing north then maybe Newcastle will be the next to come calling!

FloodlitFridays
FloodlitFridays
13 September, 2019 12:53
Quote:
hong kong rover
On a little bit of a trivial note, each time Danny Cowley takes on a new managerial job he moves further north each time, Concord Rangers to Braintree to Lincoln and now up to Huddersfield..Where will his next appointment be? If the compass keeps pointing north then maybe Newcastle will be the next to come calling!

Or KR Reykjavik? 😃

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover
13 September, 2019 13:22
Bromby🥶🥶

jal jal
jal jal
13 September, 2019 14:41
Tranmere if they divert a little grinning smiley

MESSAGES->author
Matt34
13 September, 2019 19:37
The Greenland national team. Cowley may possibly have coveted the Island Cup Of Nations for years and drempt of winning it one day.

Eric01 Tranmere
Eric01 Tranmere
13 September, 2019 22:25
MM will be staying. He's a central part of the five year plan. That plan is working. It won't be ditched.

hong kong rover
hong kong rover
21 September, 2019 13:45
H jal jal, happy with Michael Appleton or not?

jal jal
jal jal
22 September, 2019 10:16
Hi HKR
Yes I think so, but you can never be sure how the players will re-act to him, but I hope both will bond with each other.
Although we lost yesterday 6-0 at home, I think it was one of those days, we were poor all over the pitch & Oxford were excellent the best team we have seen this season up to now.
Appleton wasn't incharge yesterday he starts tomorrow incharge, so we hope to see an improvement next Saturday at Blackpool.

Good result for Rovers, I think they have sorted things out and are on their way upwards now, I think that draw in the last game was the turning point they needed,

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon
22 September, 2019 11:09
Quote:
jal jal
Hi HKR
Yes I think so, but you can never be sure how the players will re-act to him, but I hope both will bond with each other.
Although we lost yesterday 6-0 at home, I think it was one of those days, we were poor all over the pitch & Oxford were excellent the best team we have seen this season up to now.
Appleton wasn't incharge yesterday he starts tomorrow incharge, so we hope to see an improvement next Saturday at Blackpool.

Good result for Rovers, I think they have sorted things out and are on their way upwards now, I think that draw in the last game was the turning point they needed,

I was really surprised by your result yesterday jal jal as ,although they beat us 3-0,I thought Oxford were the worst team we have played this season[I didn't see our Bolton game]. It was just that it all changed after their first ''penalty''-we got worse and worse and they remained poor but better than us .
I seem to recall Yeovil winning 6-0 at Newport about this time last season and look where they both finished the season.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/09/2019 11:11 by Hoots Mon.

jal jal
jal jal
22 September, 2019 16:10
Hi Hoots Mon
Looking at my reply again.
When one team is really poor on the day (Lincoln) I suppose it does make the other team look probably better that they usually are.
But we were worse than poor on the day & that's being kind.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.