Latest news:

Ridehalgh
Discussion started by smithy43 (IP Logged), 14 August, 2019 12:35
smithy43
smithy43
14 August, 2019 12:35
How is this guy still our first choice LB? He's been hopeless for far too long now. I remember in the NL seeing young Eddie Clarke getting a game and thinking we've finally managed to move on from Rides but no, here he still is, giving away so many cheap goals and offering very little going forward! Criminal that we let Eddie go at the time, would have developed into a top full back if he was playing every week.
Rides must have some serious dirt on Mickey in my opinion! hope the Borthwick Jackson (twitter) rumours are true...

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13
14 August, 2019 12:49
Said before the season that the LB position was a must to improve. Nothings changed for me. He gives his all, and he loves the club, but I don't think he's good enough

But he's not the reason for our poor start.

We'll soon start to gel and I'm sure results will turn around

jonesy792
jonesy792
14 August, 2019 13:31
Nothing against Rides. He's been a great servant to the club and is a good squad player.

But I'm very surprised we haven't strengthened in the left back position. It is clearly an area teams are targeting.

gary anderson
gary anderson
14 August, 2019 13:42
He has been a great servant and in past done a decent job .but it's time he was let go put out on loan to a nl club or at best a league 2 club he is not good enough and our left side looks so weak .I never question melons signings but think he got this one wrong he let much better players go and kept rides .

paulbyron
paulbyron
14 August, 2019 14:26
Quote:
smithy43
How is this guy still our first choice LB? He's been hopeless for far too long now. I remember in the NL seeing young Eddie Clarke getting a game and thinking we've finally managed to move on from Rides but no, here he still is, giving away so many cheap goals and offering very little going forward! Criminal that we let Eddie go at the time, would have developed into a top full back if he was playing every week.
Rides must have some serious dirt on Mickey in my opinion! hope the Borthwick Jackson (twitter) rumours are true...
is this the same eddie Clarke who couldn,t even make the subs bench at Fleetwood by any chance?

DevonExile
DevonExile
14 August, 2019 14:51
I like Rides in terms of his commitment to the club but in each of the last two seasons his retention has been slightly surprising given his weakness as a defender. An attacking full back can be an asset but still must be able to defend.
No one can question his commitment but he was wanting when we were last in the league and the flaws have not been overcome through experience

Eric01 Tranmere
Eric01 Tranmere
14 August, 2019 14:55
Could we play him wide on the left? He is good at crossing the ball?

smithy43
smithy43
14 August, 2019 15:04
Quote:
paulbyron
Quote:
smithy43
How is this guy still our first choice LB? He's been hopeless for far too long now. I remember in the NL seeing young Eddie Clarke getting a game and thinking we've finally managed to move on from Rides but no, here he still is, giving away so many cheap goals and offering very little going forward! Criminal that we let Eddie go at the time, would have developed into a top full back if he was playing every week.
Rides must have some serious dirt on Mickey in my opinion! hope the Borthwick Jackson (twitter) rumours are true...
is this the same eddie Clarke who couldn,t even make the subs bench at Fleetwood by any chance?

yeah it is mate but you're completely missing my point. At the time he wasn't a L1 player hence he struggled to get a game when he moved there. However he was on an upward trajectory and playing every week in the L2 would have furthered his development, so if he stayed with us he'd be a totally different/better full back than he is today in my opinion. However he was offered a pathetic deal by the club from what I heard so we signed our own death warrant there



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/08/2019 15:07 by smithy43.

Tommy Egg
Tommy Egg
14 August, 2019 15:21
I don't want to knock the lad as he has stuck by us through thick and thin when many may have left . However he has not got the quality to play out from the back ,we look very vulnerable when Manny and him try it and can't cope with strong pressing teams so may be its time for a change of tactics . The mid fielders have to make better movement to receive balls forward .He is imo alright going forward puts good crosses in and had good diving header forcing keeper to save late on.

steve mungalls Highlights
steve mungalls Highlights
14 August, 2019 15:38
Great fella and professional, but we need to get someone else in now. I like him going forward, but facing his own goal he is awful.

AndyMase
AndyMase
14 August, 2019 16:05
Heard from who, i thought the rumour was he was being greedy and moved simply for money rather than taking a longer term view of improving then moving.
Anyway Clarke always looked dodgy when defending but great when running forward

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13
14 August, 2019 18:24
I think Perkins could do a job on the left.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots
14 August, 2019 18:39
Quote:
smithy43
How is this guy still our first choice LB? He's been hopeless for far too long now. I remember in the NL seeing young Eddie Clarke getting a game and thinking we've finally managed to move on from Rides but no, here he still is, giving away so many cheap goals and offering very little going forward! Criminal that we let Eddie go at the time, would have developed into a top full back if he was playing every week.
Rides must have some serious dirt on Mickey in my opinion! hope the Borthwick Jackson (twitter) rumours are true...

How did we “let Eddie go”, when is the reality going to skin in with our fans that we are a small club, with a small pot of funds and can only offer what we can offer and also have to consider that any offers of contracts to players impact what other players we can recruit by spending wage budget so if MM did not see “Young Eddie” as an immediate first team player why on earth would we break the bank to match bigger richer clubs offers and prevent ourselves bringing in players like McCullogh, Morris, Monthe, Caprice etc who were so valuable to our promotion from League 2. Because it is an absolute fact that wasting the money that brought them in on Eddie we would absolutely be lining up against a league club 2 on Saturday and possibly a NL club. And whilst Rides maybe a “liability” he is a player who is proven at this level, he may have his limitations the manager is fully aware of these and how they will impact on the team as opposed to putting all his dollars on red gambling that the occasional mazey run or show of promise will come good. Personally id prefer we invest our wage budget on proven to layers fully aware of what we are getting.

aktrfc
aktrfc
14 August, 2019 19:11
So tell me again, where is Clarke and where are Tranmere. If Clarke was good enough he wouldn’t be at macc now. How much did we miss him last season, o yes we got promoted without him, so shed loads, Really.

Rides is quality and will come good no doubt. What I don’t understand is that Manny has been real poor, for me this is one step too far for him, and why not play Sid.

MoanerLesser
RealityBitesHasLeftForum
14 August, 2019 19:14
Quote:
Higgosboots
Quote:
smithy43
How is this guy still our first choice LB? He's been hopeless for far too long now. I remember in the NL seeing young Eddie Clarke getting a game and thinking we've finally managed to move on from Rides but no, here he still is, giving away so many cheap goals and offering very little going forward! Criminal that we let Eddie go at the time, would have developed into a top full back if he was playing every week.
Rides must have some serious dirt on Mickey in my opinion! hope the Borthwick Jackson (twitter) rumours are true...



How did we “let Eddie go”, when is the reality going to skin in with our fans that we are a small club, with a small pot of funds and can only offer what we can offer and also have to consider that any offers of contracts to players impact what other players we can recruit by spending wage budget so if MM did not see “Young Eddie” as an immediate first team player why on earth would we break the bank to match bigger richer clubs offers and prevent ourselves bringing in players like McCullogh, Morris, Monthe, Caprice etc who were so valuable to our promotion from League 2. Because it is an absolute fact that wasting the money that brought them in on Eddie we would absolutely be lining up against a league club 2 on Saturday and possibly a NL club. And whilst Rides maybe a “liability” he is a player who is proven at this level, he may have his limitations the manager is fully aware of these and how they will impact on the team as opposed to putting all his dollars on red gambling that the occasional mazey run or show of promise will come good. Personally id prefer we invest our wage budget on proven to layers fully aware of what we are getting.

+1

Higgosboots
Higgosboots
14 August, 2019 19:30
Its my opinion that every member of this current squad who was here anytime over the past 5 years has absolutely done enough to be afforded the opportunity to make the starting 11 this season, without them be would be in the NL. And MM has done enough to be afforded the luxury of unquestionably selecting and signing whatever players he sees fit. 2 PROMOTIONS IN 2 SEASONS, 5 PROMOTIONS IN HIS CAREER AS A MANAGER, the guy knows what he's doing.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/08/2019 19:30 by Higgosboots.

Cybertron
Cybertron
14 August, 2019 20:52
Quote:
Higgosboots
Its my opinion that every member of this current squad who was here anytime over the past 5 years has absolutely done enough to be afforded the opportunity to make the starting 11 this season, without them be would be in the NL. And MM has done enough to be afforded the luxury of unquestionably selecting and signing whatever players he sees fit. 2 PROMOTIONS IN 2 SEASONS, 5 PROMOTIONS IN HIS CAREER AS A MANAGER, the guy knows what he's doing.
+1

paulbyron
paulbyron
14 August, 2019 21:57
I don,t know the in,s & outs of his contract offer but he didn,t hang around after Wembley which suggests he had already made his mind up he was going

kennyspint
kennyspint
14 August, 2019 22:04
Quote:
Higgosboots
Its my opinion that every member of this current squad who was here anytime over the past 5 years has absolutely done enough to be afforded the opportunity to make the starting 11 this season, without them be would be in the NL. And MM has done enough to be afforded the luxury of unquestionably selecting and signing whatever players he sees fit. 2 PROMOTIONS IN 2 SEASONS, 5 PROMOTIONS IN HIS CAREER AS A MANAGER, the guy knows what he's doing.
+1 and I like Liam

Muir the merrier
Muir the merrier
14 August, 2019 23:17
Along with Rides taking a fair bit of stick on this thread neither of our centre-backs played with any real conviction last night, both lacked any signs of leadership qualities, positional awareness and aerial presence when put under pressure.
Sadly, Liam only has one foot and at this level he's closed down far too quickly......something the opposition will be well aware of.

smithy43
smithy43
14 August, 2019 23:51
Quote:
aktrfc
So tell me again, where is Clarke and where are Tranmere. If Clarke was good enough he wouldn’t be at macc now. How much did we miss him last season, o yes we got promoted without him, so shed loads, Really.
Rides is quality and will come good no doubt. What I don’t understand is that Manny has been real poor, for me this is one step too far for him, and why not play Sid.

Rides is not quality and never has been. Bang average at best, at fault for first 2 Rochdale goals (playing them onside both times) and at fault again last night, he's too slow & all he has in his locker is lumping it down the line to thin air - watch him on Saturday and you'll see straight away. Hasn't got the footballing brain to play at this level (granted he's not the only one there), it's about time we moved on. Manny's struggling as teams are pressing so much higher & he panics on the ball a bit, not helped by Ridehalgh never wanting to make space to receive the pass and play it on to the midfield

LongStandingFan
LongStandingFan
15 August, 2019 00:36
Quote:
smithy43
Quote:
aktrfc
So tell me again, where is Clarke and where are Tranmere. If Clarke was good enough he wouldn’t be at macc now. How much did we miss him last season, o yes we got promoted without him, so shed loads, Really.
Rides is quality and will come good no doubt. What I don’t understand is that Manny has been real poor, for me this is one step too far for him, and why not play Sid.

Rides is not quality and never has been. Bang average at best, at fault for first 2 Rochdale goals (playing them onside both times) and at fault again last night, he's too slow & all he has in his locker is lumping it down the line to thin air - watch him on Saturday and you'll see straight away. Hasn't got the footballing brain to play at this level (granted he's not the only one there), it's about time we moved on. Manny's struggling as teams are pressing so much higher & he panics on the ball a bit, not helped by Ridehalgh never wanting to make space to receive the pass and play it on to the midfield

You make some good points smithy43. I do think the speed of playing at this level is catching a number of our players out. Hopefully some of the young lads that have come in like CBT, Maddox, Ferrier, Rushan (may have spelt that wrong???) etc will help offset that issue a little.

gary anderson
gary anderson
15 August, 2019 07:08
It seems a lot of people have written us off all ready this season for one reason or another .well let's look at who tranmere really are .in our 130 years we have spent 117 in the bottom two leagues and 3 years in the NL .so apart from the glorious 10 years in the championship when Johnson pumped money into the club we have been a lower league club .we live in the shadow of Liverpool and Everton and will if we are honest never be able to compete with them .we have a hard core of 7000 fans who are loyle and love the club .we like most clubs at our level run on a tight budget we like a lot of teams run on a lot of loan signings some work out some don't .so let's not get carried away yes two promotions in two seasons was great but now reality sets in we find our level .we have not got the budget to go for yet another promotion so we cut our cloth acordinly. anything above bottom 10 would be a bonus .so remember who and what we are a lower league club with great fans a decent manager a couple of owners who won't put our club at risk with u payable debts .u ness we get some multi billionair which is very unlikely buy the club we will be up and down the bottom two leagues with a good cup run now and again .so let's be happy in our community we have a football club a decent ground a good following at our level and enjoy that .I myself have been a fan for over 50 years and apart from the 10 glory years been watching bottom two leagues football at prenton park .yes love to dream of being up there with the real big boys but if we are honest it's never gonna happen .so let's not write the club it's manager and players off we are what we are tranmere rovers a proud club with a good support but a lower league club so here's to the next 130 years and there will still be a tranmere rovers a league club

stairwaytoheaven
stairwaytoheaven
15 August, 2019 07:49
Quote:
gary anderson
It seems a lot of people have written us off all ready this season for one reason or another .well let's look at who tranmere really are .in our 130 years we have spent 117 in the bottom two leagues and 3 years in the NL .so apart from the glorious 10 years in the championship when Johnson pumped money into the club we have been a lower league club .we live in the shadow of Liverpool and Everton and will if we are honest never be able to compete with them .we have a hard core of 7000 fans who are loyle and love the club .we like most clubs at our level run on a tight budget we like a lot of teams run on a lot of loan signings some work out some don't .so let's not get carried away yes two promotions in two seasons was great but now reality sets in we find our level .we have not got the budget to go for yet another promotion so we cut our cloth acordinly. anything above bottom 10 would be a bonus .so remember who and what we are a lower league club with great fans a decent manager a couple of owners who won't put our club at risk with u payable debts .u ness we get some multi billionair which is very unlikely buy the club we will be up and down the bottom two leagues with a good cup run now and again .so let's be happy in our community we have a football club a decent ground a good following at our level and enjoy that .I myself have been a fan for over 50 years and apart from the 10 glory years been watching bottom two leagues football at prenton park .yes love to dream of being up there with the real big boys but if we are honest it's never gonna happen .so let's not write the club it's manager and players off we are what we are tranmere rovers a proud club with a good support but a lower league club so here's to the next 130 years and there will still be a tranmere rovers a league club

+1. Steep learning curve at the moment, we will come good.

Zint
Zint
15 August, 2019 09:03
Liam isn’t as bad as people claim. We need cover, at least, but I suspect somebody will come in mid-season.

The relationship between the back 4 and midfield isn’t right yet. We haven’t got an outlet other than Perkins. Fine at the moment, but when pitches get heavier it will be asking a lot to expect him to play week in week out. If McCullough gets back to fitness then he offers a solution, correct me if I am wrong but he is still training with the club? We are also missing Mark Ellis, who became a very solid central defender.

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost
15 August, 2019 11:46
Quote:
Zint
Liam isn’t as bad as people claim. We need cover, at least, but I suspect somebody will come in mid-season.
The relationship between the back 4 and midfield isn’t right yet. We haven’t got an outlet other than Perkins. Fine at the moment, but when pitches get heavier it will be asking a lot to expect him to play week in week out. If McCullough gets back to fitness then he offers a solution, correct me if I am wrong but he is still training with the club? We are also missing Mark Ellis, who became a very solid central defender.
And that's the point entirely. We do need cover and that's what Rides is. He was the weak link defensively in the NL. He was the weak link defensively last year too. It was pretty obvious to all on here over the summer that he would struggle this year - I and many other said as much on a few occasions. I will support MM totally, but there is no way that Rides should be our first choice LB in L1. He was barely up to that in the NL.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots
15 August, 2019 12:52
Quote:
gary anderson
It seems a lot of people have written us off all ready this season for one reason or another .well let's look at who tranmere really are .in our 130 years we have spent 117 in the bottom two leagues and 3 years in the NL .so apart from the glorious 10 years in the championship when Johnson pumped money into the club we have been a lower league club .we live in the shadow of Liverpool and Everton and will if we are honest never be able to compete with them .we have a hard core of 7000 fans who are loyle and love the club .we like most clubs at our level run on a tight budget we like a lot of teams run on a lot of loan signings some work out some don't .so let's not get carried away yes two promotions in two seasons was great but now reality sets in we find our level .we have not got the budget to go for yet another promotion so we cut our cloth acordinly. anything above bottom 10 would be a bonus .so remember who and what we are a lower league club with great fans a decent manager a couple of owners who won't put our club at risk with u payable debts .u ness we get some multi billionair which is very unlikely buy the club we will be up and down the bottom two leagues with a good cup run now and again .so let's be happy in our community we have a football club a decent ground a good following at our level and enjoy that .I myself have been a fan for over 50 years and apart from the 10 glory years been watching bottom two leagues football at prenton park .yes love to dream of being up there with the real big boys but if we are honest it's never gonna happen .so let's not write the club it's manager and players off we are what we are tranmere rovers a proud club with a good support but a lower league club so here's to the next 130 years and there will still be a tranmere rovers a league club

+1

goosed
goosed
16 August, 2019 16:07
Banks....rides....manny are all getting caught out now at this level....even davies in goal is .......obviously we cud not strengthen the whole team as we cant afford to.....but we need wins soon or we will be back in league 2.....

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69
16 August, 2019 22:27
Are you enjoying it goosed?Didnt hear much when we were winning.😷

Zint
Zint
18 August, 2019 08:42
Rides played one outstanding pass in the second half, from just inside our half, diagonally to Morris about 20 yards from their touch line. One of the best pieces of footy in the game.

Higgy and Yozzer
Higgy and Yozzer
18 August, 2019 16:01
Doesn’t change the fact he isn’t a league 1 player. Very slow, doesn’t get on the ball enough, poor defender, doesn’t get forward. Scotty and manny don’t look to play the ball to him as he hides instead of showing for the ball.

Should get another left back option in as we would be a better side with a decent left back in.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots
18 August, 2019 16:18
Do any of the moan brigade on here actually listen to what comes out of the club? The squad is the squad, MM states it is made up of NL & Lg2 players who have never played this level and a bunch of players who haven't played this level for a while, and he will have to work with that. Rides is one of those who hasn't played at this level for a while and will take time to adjust, as are the others mentioned on the thread. Do the moaners actually expect these lads to turn up on day one and compete?



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/08/2019 16:20 by Higgosboots.

DevonExile
DevonExile
18 August, 2019 18:12
If people cannot question Rides ability in terms of Div 1 suitability without being termed a moaner then it sounds as though anyone who does not agree with you is defined as a moaner. I am sure that is not what you meant

paulbyron
paulbyron
18 August, 2019 20:10
Quote:
DevonExile
If people cannot question Rides ability in terms of Div 1 suitability without being termed a moaner then it sounds as though anyone who does not agree with you is defined as a moaner. I am sure that is not what you meant
after the Rochdale game the ability of most of the team could have been questioned it seems rides has become the new Stockton

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69
18 August, 2019 20:34
Deserves a place for his crosses!

Higgosboots
Higgosboots
18 August, 2019 20:43
Quote:
DevonExile
If people cannot question Rides ability in terms of Div 1 suitability without being termed a moaner then it sounds as though anyone who does not agree with you is defined as a moaner. I am sure that is not what you meant

If Im honest, the conclusion I have come to is that i don't understand Tranmere fans and the moaning or constructive criticism. Rides has been loyal to this club through thick and thin. There are a section of fans who just seem to turn on-a player and hound them, just like Stockton. It was an unbelievable achievement by MM & his staff last season, we aren't ready for this division so its a free hit in many senses but after 3 games in a division in which we are out of our depth people are complaining. We all want the lads to be successful. Sometimes you just have to sit back and enjoy being a part of something like League 1 with games against Bolton, Portsmouth, Sunderland, Coventry, Blackpool and Ipswich. All teams who in recent memory have been stomping around the premier league and in some cases Europe. If we are loosing against them just think back over the last couple of years to defeats at teams like Sutton, Gateshead, Dover and Borehamwood.

LongStandingFan
LongStandingFan
18 August, 2019 22:03
Quote:
Higgosboots
Quote:
DevonExile
If people cannot question Rides ability in terms of Div 1 suitability without being termed a moaner then it sounds as though anyone who does not agree with you is defined as a moaner. I am sure that is not what you meant

If Im honest, the conclusion I have come to is that i don't understand Tranmere fans and the moaning or constructive criticism. Rides has been loyal to this club through thick and thin. There are a section of fans who just seem to turn on-a player and hound them, just like Stockton. It was an unbelievable achievement by MM & his staff last season, we aren't ready for this division so its a free hit in many senses but after 3 games in a division in which we are out of our depth people are complaining. We all want the lads to be successful. Sometimes you just have to sit back and enjoy being a part of something like League 1 with games against Bolton, Portsmouth, Sunderland, Coventry, Blackpool and Ipswich. All teams who in recent memory have been stomping around the premier league and in some cases Europe. If we are loosing against them just think back over the last couple of years to defeats at teams like Sutton, Gateshead, Dover and Borehamwood.

Got to slightly disagree with you on this Higgosboots. You say that you " don't understand Tranmere fans and the moaning or constructive criticism", yet also go on to say yourself that we are "in a division in which we are out of our depth", and although that may well be the case, isn't that not only negative, but also a criticism, and not even a constructive criticism either ? Moaning is just concerned fans getting their feelings off their chest, and that's pretty normal in my book, and constructive criticism can be very enlightening and open up some good debates.
At the end of the day we all want the team and club to do well, but let fans have their say, its not all doom and gloom either. Just saying.

smithy43
smithy43
19 August, 2019 00:29
Quote:
Higgosboots
Sometimes you just have to sit back and enjoy being a part of something like League 1 with games against Bolton, Portsmouth, Sunderland, Coventry, Blackpool and Ipswich. All teams who in recent memory have been stomping around the premier league and in some cases Europe. If we are loosing against them just think back over the last couple of years to defeats at teams like Sutton, Gateshead, Dover and Borehamwood.

Playing teams like Sutton 2 years ago has nothing to do with Ridehalgh being suited to L1 or not. I've said it before, Tranmere Rovers are intrinsically a L1 club and we're playing teams like you mention on merit and because we are a L1 club. Pointless referring back to the days of Dover - let's look forwards and not back. And at the current moment in time, Rides is costing us goals and he's not upto scratch & he was poor for large parts of last season in a worse league.

@ Zint - yes he did a nice cross-field ball but all professional footballers should be able to do that, plus he had no pressure on him and neither did the recipient of the ball (& it was against a bunch of kids too!) . Big marker game on Tuesday where he (and others, granted) needs to cut out the mistakes or will be punished

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13
19 August, 2019 01:14
I love rides. His tears at Wembley and the way he celebrates, you can see how much it means to him.

I'll never get on his back at a game.

But I do still wish we had strengthened LB when we knew zoom was leaving

Higgosboots
Higgosboots
19 August, 2019 06:38
Quote:
LongStandingFan
Quote:
Higgosboots
Quote:
DevonExile
If people cannot question Rides ability in terms of Div 1 suitability without being termed a moaner then it sounds as though anyone who does not agree with you is defined as a moaner. I am sure that is not what you meant

If Im honest, the conclusion I have come to is that i don't understand Tranmere fans and the moaning or constructive criticism. Rides has been loyal to this club through thick and thin. There are a section of fans who just seem to turn on-a player and hound them, just like Stockton. It was an unbelievable achievement by MM & his staff last season, we aren't ready for this division so its a free hit in many senses but after 3 games in a division in which we are out of our depth people are complaining. We all want the lads to be successful. Sometimes you just have to sit back and enjoy being a part of something like League 1 with games against Bolton, Portsmouth, Sunderland, Coventry, Blackpool and Ipswich. All teams who in recent memory have been stomping around the premier league and in some cases Europe. If we are loosing against them just think back over the last couple of years to defeats at teams like Sutton, Gateshead, Dover and Borehamwood.

Got to slightly disagree with you on this Higgosboots. You say that you " don't understand Tranmere fans and the moaning or constructive criticism", yet also go on to say yourself that we are "in a division in which we are out of our depth", and although that may well be the case, isn't that not only negative, but also a criticism, and not even a constructive criticism either ? Moaning is just concerned fans getting their feelings off their chest, and that's pretty normal in my book, and constructive criticism can be very enlightening and open up some good debates.
At the end of the day we all want the team and club to do well, but let fans have their say, its not all doom and gloom either. Just saying.

No its not moaning, its pointing out what the club itself has pointed out, its not getting on a players case, all Im trying to say is that the manager has said he is aware that the team on the whole has to improve, how is slagging Ridehalgh going to help him improve because the feelings filter onto the pitch even when we were winning there were people barracking players from certain parts of the ground. Im not even disagreeing with people’s sentiments.

gary anderson
gary anderson
19 August, 2019 08:46
We all have our differences about players and the way it's adapting to a new league only time will tell if some are good enough to cope with the jump in standard and speed this season I am sure mm knows what he is doing .he is on a very tight budget and has to work with what he has got .rides is finding it a little tough at the moment but let's all hope he settles and will do a job no good getting on players backs that's not gonna help in fact it will make it worse .we as fan must relalise we are what we are and get behind the team every minet of every game .we are not gonna set the world alight this season we are finding our feet .but I believe we as a club are still going in the right direction and if we finish near the bottom and avoid a relagation battle that's a good season .so who ever puts on the white shirt should get our support and encouragement every game .in mm I trust and it will get better as season goes on and we won't break the bank to do it .we are what we are lads enjoy that we are in league one playing big teams like Sunderland ipswich Portsmouth in front of big crowds not the likes of Boreham stiff maidenhead and the likes in front of a few hundred .mm has made some good signings now let's just be patient and it will all gel and improve

DevonExile
DevonExile
19 August, 2019 09:29
Ail though I disagreed with Higos bracketing any that criticise a players ability as moaners and I still think that is wrong, I do have every sympathy with his criticism of those at games who pick on a player in a match. That I think , can be demoralising for a player, and is quite different from a critique on the forum. Rides warrants respect for he really is committed to the club and the weaknesses in his game are not down to lack of effort. The fact remains that many see his frailties as a weakening of the team at this level and it is not unreasonable to express that view. If supporting a team meant merely excepting everything without question then much of the spice would go out of football and there would be little point in having a forum if constructive criticism was seen as justifying applying a label. It is one of the worse aspect of current society where too often any difference of view results in categorisation

Zint
Zint
19 August, 2019 09:52
Is there currently an alternative to Rides? No? Then he gets my support until such a time as we have a better alternative. Plus, I agree with Devon Exile, support players on the pitch, then, if needs must, by all means engage in discussions on here.

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost
19 August, 2019 10:08
I like Rides. I appreciate his efforts for us. I'm glad we re-signed him and have no issue with a 2 year deal. We need squad players and depth and he is a good option for us as this. Not all signings and re-signings are about improving the team and nor should they be. Rides brings experience, effort and some quality in certain areas. However none of this prevents me from recognising that he is limited and is the weak link in the team, as he was last year too imo, and that we haven't got adequate competition or alternatives. It's not bashing the club, player or manager to question why this is the case. It is a perfectly legitimate thing to question. Rides was limited in the NL too but adequate, relying on him in L1 to be a long-term answer at LB could well prove to be a serious problem for the team.

Kennel
Kennel
19 August, 2019 11:04
I thought he had his best game for a while on Sat. he sent some great cross field crosses to Harris especially in the 2nd half.....more of the same please Rides.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
19 August, 2019 11:33
Quote:
DevonExile
Ail though I disagreed with Higos bracketing any that criticise a players ability as moaners and I still think that is wrong, I do have every sympathy with his criticism of those at games who pick on a player in a match. That I think , can be demoralising for a player, and is quite different from a critique on the forum. Rides warrants respect for he really is committed to the club and the weaknesses in his game are not down to lack of effort. The fact remains that many see his frailties as a weakening of the team at this level and it is not unreasonable to express that view. If supporting a team meant merely excepting everything without question then much of the spice would go out of football and there would be little point in having a forum if constructive criticism was seen as justifying applying a label. It is one of the worse aspect of current society where too often any difference of view results in categorisation

That's a really disingenuous argument. There's a world of difference between constructive criticism and moaning/slagging off but you're again lumping the two together before again implying that the alternative view is 'acceptance without question'. Yet, from the comments you then make about Rides, you obviously acknowledge that the vast middle ground between moaning and blind acceptance is where most sensible discussion takes place.

Rides obviously has his limitations (don't like 'frailties' but hey ho), so do the rest of the squad and most other players in L1. He has qualities too. Obviously the trick for MM is to assemble a team whose individual qualities complement each other's strengths and mitigate each other's limitations. Time will tell. Right now, I'd agree we definitely need competition at LB - maybe Woods is that man, who knows yet. But beyond that, while individual players are still acclimatising to a new league and developing understandings with each other, for me it's too early to be throwing anyone under the bus.

paulbyron
paulbyron
19 August, 2019 11:46
Quote:
smithy43
How is this guy still our first choice LB? He's been hopeless for far too long now. I remember in the NL seeing young Eddie Clarke getting a game and thinking we've finally managed to move on from Rides but no, here he still is, giving away so many cheap goals and offering very little going forward! Criminal that we let Eddie go at the time, would have developed into a top full back if he was playing every week.
Rides must have some serious dirt on Mickey in my opinion! hope the Borthwick Jackson (twitter) rumours are true...
slagging rides on here is like saying the manager who has guided us to 2 promotions doesn,t know what he,s doing still I,ll go with micky,s judgment.

DevonExile
DevonExile
19 August, 2019 12:51
Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy
Quote:
DevonExile
Ail though I disagreed with Higos bracketing any that criticise a players ability as moaners and I still think that is wrong, I do have every sympathy with his criticism of those at games who pick on a player in a match. That I think , can be demoralising for a player, and is quite different from a critique on the forum. Rides warrants respect for he really is committed to the club and the weaknesses in his game are not down to lack of effort. The fact remains that many see his frailties as a weakening of the team at this level and it is not unreasonable to express that view. If supporting a team meant merely excepting everything without question then much of the spice would go out of football and there would be little point in having a forum if constructive criticism was seen as justifying applying a label. It is one of the worse aspect of current
society where too often any difference of view results in categorisation

That's a really disingenuous argument. There's a world of difference between constructive criticism and moaning/slagging off but you're again lumping the two together before again implying that the alternative view is 'acceptance without question'. Yet, from the comments you then make about Rides, you obviously acknowledge that the vast middle ground between moaning and blind acceptance is where most sensible discussion takes place.

Rides obviously has his limitations (don't like 'frailties' but hey ho), so do the rest of the squad and most other players in L1. He has qualities too. Obviously the trick for MM is to assemble a team whose individual qualities complement each other's strengths and mitigate each other's limitations. Time will tell. Right now, I'd agree we definitely need competition at LB - maybe Woods is that man, who knows yet. But beyond that, while individual players are still acclimatising to a new league and developing understandings with each other, for me it's too early to be throwing anyone under the bus.
I apologise if I have given the impression that constructive criticism and slagging off are the same.
That was the opposite of my intention. The whole point was a response to Higgos posting and I was arguing that constructive criticism does not justify the label of moaners.

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost
19 August, 2019 14:04
Quote:
Kennel
I thought he had his best game for a while on Sat. he sent some great cross field crosses to Harris especially in the 2nd half.....more of the same please Rides.
Could that be that due to the limitations of the opposition he was able to concentrate more on supporting the midfield and less on defensive duties? In think most would acknowledge that, as a LB, he is stronger going forward than he is defending and his ability to pass has always been one of his stronger suits.

MoanerLesser
RealityBitesHasLeftForum
19 August, 2019 14:59
Quote:
DevonExile
Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy
Quote:
DevonExile
Ail though I disagreed with Higos bracketing any that criticise a players ability as moaners and I still think that is wrong, I do have every sympathy with his criticism of those at games who pick on a player in a match. That I think , can be demoralising for a player, and is quite different from a critique on the forum. Rides warrants respect for he really is committed to the club and the weaknesses in his game are not down to lack of effort. The fact remains that many see his frailties as a weakening of the team at this level and it is not unreasonable to express that view. If supporting a team meant merely excepting everything without question then much of the spice would go out of football and there would be little point in having a forum if constructive criticism was seen as justifying applying a label. It is one of the worse aspect of current
society where too often any difference of view results in categorisation

That's a really disingenuous argument. There's a world of difference between constructive criticism and moaning/slagging off but you're again lumping the two together before again implying that the alternative view is 'acceptance without question'. Yet, from the comments you then make about Rides, you obviously acknowledge that the vast middle ground between moaning and blind acceptance is where most sensible discussion takes place.

Rides obviously has his limitations (don't like 'frailties' but hey ho), so do the rest of the squad and most other players in L1. He has qualities too. Obviously the trick for MM is to assemble a team whose individual qualities complement each other's strengths and mitigate each other's limitations. Time will tell. Right now, I'd agree we definitely need competition at LB - maybe Woods is that man, who knows yet. But beyond that, while individual players are still acclimatising to a new league and developing understandings with each other, for me it's too early to be throwing anyone under the bus.
I apologise if I have given the impression that constructive criticism and slagging off are the same.
That was the opposite of my intention. The whole point was a response to Higgos posting and I was arguing that constructive criticism does not justify the label of moaners.


Constructive Criticism
Criticism performed with a compassionate attitude towards the person qualified for criticism. Both negative and positive behaviours are put forward.

I therefore assume you are sending your comments to Ridehaigh? Along with statistics to back up the comments? Comments on here are not particularly constructive to any player. Micky and his team provide the necessary constructive criticism as part of the training regime.

DevonExile
DevonExile
19 August, 2019 15:38
The forum is a place for an exchange of views. No one would be daft enough to think that comments on here make any difference to players.. That is the managements territory.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
19 August, 2019 15:41
Think you're trying to overanalyse.
Simple fact is, when people slag off our players with crass comments such as "hopeless", "must have won a prize" etc etc etc etc etc, expect our supporters to rebut it, or at least to take the debate to a more meaningful level.
It's a discussion forum, not a race to the bottom.

prentonpete1
prentonpete1
19 August, 2019 17:39
Looking at Adam Lewis 19 from Liverpool he's a LEFT BACK on loan thank God.

LongStandingFan
LongStandingFan
20 August, 2019 02:07
I agree that purely "slagging " a player off is not helpful, but this forum is about, and for, debate, forwarding views, both positive and negative. What's the use of the forum if you can't freely and politely give your own views and opinions on our team?
Open debate about OUR team is good.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/08/2019 02:11 by LongStandingFan.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy
20 August, 2019 02:34
Exactly. thumbs down



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/08/2019 03:40 by Aldo'smuzzy.


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.